Serge Aurier | Spurs player

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferguson2

I would go for him. Valencia not getting younger and Aurier is a beast.
Mourinho would also be the right coach for him...I hope.

hubbuh

Darmian has his uses, could see him leaving but could just as easily see him staying as a backup for both and playing that defensive man marking role in certain games.
He's proven himself far too unreliable and in the event of an injury to Valencia I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with him being first choice for a significant stretch of games, particularly given our ambitions of challenging for the league and (hopefully) the champions league.

Womp

idiot
He's proven himself far too unreliable and in the event of an injury to Valencia I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with him being first choice for a significant stretch of games, particularly given our ambitions of challenging for the league and (hopefully) the champions league.
Ye, the ideal scenario is letting Valencia and Aurier battle it out for first choice, with the other dropping to backup and Darmian being an option for both the left and right, whilst offering that defensive stability in specific games as I mentioned.

Tarrou

20 mill seems too good to be true. I know he's a bit mental but can't see PSG giving him up that easily.

worldinmotion66

20 mil is an absolute bargain for a player of his ability. A few years ago I would have said he was nailed on to be Dani Alves' successor at Barcelona, he could have easily been the best right back in the world by now had he not been bat shit crazy.

He's also pretty useful at centre back. I'd much rather sign him than another centre back this summer, I can't see value in the other available players right now.

prath92

he has had attitude problems but if mourinho supposedly feels its ok, i think its cool. Cantona obviously had issues before coming to united, suarez too before barca and yet those were top class acquisitions. for 20m i think its a no brainer. Plus Blanc seems to be someone who is spineless and not a tough guy like jose

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fantastic player but this is IMO #fakenews

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a bit weird for us to be targeting a RB when Valencia looks perfectly fresh for at least another season, but Aurier is probably one of the better attainable ones out there if he stops being such a moron. At his best he's probably the most comparable to Valencia too with his pace and strength.

Robertd0803

L'Equipe are only quoting an Ivorian newspaper so not sure how much legs are in this. Also would we really be in for a nutcase?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For €20m this guy is more than worth the gamble. If he buckles down and concentrates on his football then we'll have one of the best full backs in the game and he's still young.

Last edited:

3KDré

There's a lot of risk, but if there's anyone who can build a good defence it's Jose. For 20m it'd be potentially a fantastic signing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Valencia is better atm but who knows how long he has left like this. Personally would trust anyone Mourinho targets at the back, he knows what he likes.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He can and has many times already. Are you for real ?
That's why is on the bench since January no? Because he can cross, defend, score, tackle and all ?

He's not better than Meunier (and last year Blanc played Marquinhos right back too...) , not better than Sidibé, I'd say he's level with Rafa or Jallet now... So no way he's better than Valencia.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's why is on the bench since January no? Because he can cross, defend, score, tackle and all ?

He's not better than Meunier (and last year Blanc played Marquinhos right back too...) , not better than Sidibé, I'd say he's level with Rafa or Jallet now... So no way he's better than Valencia.
ffs why don't you just stick to what we were talking about, his crossing and not the rest. I never mentioned tackling nor defending.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
ffs why don't you just stick to what we were talking about, his crossing and not the rest. I never mentioned tackling nor defending.
I took his crossing ability as an example, because here people think that he's fantastic after having played well against Arsenal this season.

I want to talk about the package. His talent (or not) and especially his behavior.

Sorry but to me you can be as talented as you want, if you're not ready to be a top footballer, you don't deserve to be one.

Dong Fangzhuo

There's no sign of Valencia slowing down, not sure why we'd need or want to bring in another right back this summer.
As soon as he starts losing his athleticism he's going to be about as useful as a fan chosen at random from the stands. I wouldn't mind us planning ahead here, especially as we don't have any cover/competition at RB anyway. I don't think it's a priority issue this summer though.

Quizierda

Hope we don't go for him.

He seems to be a 'beast' - physically in a good way, however, mentally in a bad way.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's no sign of Valencia slowing down, not sure why we'd need or want to bring in another right back this summer.
That's silly. Even if it is the case Valencia will be 32 next season. He can't play week in week out through 3-4 fronts.

By securing a top quality RB now we will avoid another Rio-Vidic scenario who left an enormous hole in our defense to sort

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Ivanovic had a pretty rapid decline and Mourinho's decision to persevere with him last season was probably one of the things that cost him his job. Ivanovic was no longer cutting it from an attacking perspective and defensively pretty much every goal they conceded when I watched them was conceded down his flank.

As good as Valencia has been, Jose might have that in mind and want to prepare for the future. Valencia will be turning 32 at the start of next season.
Don't know if it's been posted or not but from Twitter:
It has. Its the whole reason the thread has had two pages added today.

lysglimt

Scout
Let's see:
1) He is african - which means ANC and 1 month gone every season
2) He called his coach gay
3) He has called a referee a dirty son of a bitch
4) Arrested for attacking the police....

I rest my case....next!!!!

Quizierda

Think we should go for Hysaj (Napoli).

Simply don't like the bad press around Aurier + the fact that he would also be gone during AFCON.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's see:
1) He is african - which means ANC and 1 month gone every season
2) He called his coach gay
3) He has called a referee a dirty son of a bitch
4) Arrested for attacking the police....

I rest my case....next!!!!
Yeah, he just doesn't suit the type of player we usually sign. Don't think we've ever signed somebody with that history of bad things, especially with Visa problems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.