Souness at it again…

croadyman

He’s obviously a sour tit but he’s not wrong on how big a risk we’re taking in relying on Rashford and Martial for goals as much as we are. Which is something that will inevitably come back to haunt us unless we can somehow pull a loan deal for a class attacking player out of our arse in the next couple of weeks.
Who is the best loan deal out there for us,know many will say Felix but can't help feeling we need more of a box predator

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree with him on Rashford. I’m waiting for the drop in form that’ll last half the season. I hope not especially as I think he’s playing brilliantly but the doubts still remain for me

GiddyUp

If Man Utd's medical department discovered the cure for cancer and gave it to everyone who came to their door Souness would dismiss it based on Phil Jones medical record. The guy is an anti United cnut of the highest order.

JeffFromHK

He is just a through and through anti-United old man, whatever spills from his mouth are just for trolling/attacking united

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If he just said that instead of shoehorning that Portuguese pensioner into the conversation I’d have agreed with what he was saying. But to say we’d be better off with Ronaldo in the squad is madness.
I have no clue but we absolutely need a proper #9. Would improve us so much.
This loan deal idea is ludicrous, no one is going to be loaning out a proven goal scoring CF, or selling one for that matter, mid-season unless we're paying silly money

The best we can hope for is someone who can hold the ball up, keep possession and score the odd one, the rest of the team can score the goals if they know the ball is gonna stick up there or someone might be in the 6 yard box to finish it off

Last edited:

Son

Souness isn’t correct about Rashford but he’s 100% right about lacking goals in our squad.

It isn’t a top level squad up front at all but he’s also wrong on Ronaldo. Guy was toxic and quite simply not a top level footballer anymore.

We have a decently strong midfield (albeit need a new first choice deep-lying playmaker) and very solid defence but our attack is a long way from challenging for the biggest trophies.

I agree with him on that point.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The correlation he "sees" between our lack of goals and the version of Ronaldo that ETH had to deal with, and is so adamant about, is probably one of the reasons he never made it as a manager.

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine says that he's their version of Keane, but with us being lucky because Roy never got to manage United. Perhaps there's truth in that. He certainly was a brilliant player for them. I don't know if a single person could arrest Liverpool's decline back then, but the way he managed to alienate himself from his players (selling Beardsley, that went well) and make the fanbase loathe him (after the infamous Sun photo) was a pure disaster. Whenever he speaks, he offends someone. I'm surprised people take him seriously as a pundit.

Why doesn't someone ask him about how good Liverpool look when Nunez leads the line? Is their balance the same or they benefit more from Firmino's work between the lines? Or, even better, why doesn't any big club in Europe share his thoughts on Ronaldo?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just stop this cnut talking about football but especially United. Can't be unbiased in his assessment at all.

Glorio

If you ignore the headline he doesn’t say much wrong. It’s a pig-headed attempt to walk back from something stupid he said in the past. But it’s full of praise for Cas.
If Casemiro, arguably the best in the world in his DM position isn't world class, I wonder who is

(Still haven't read it mind! :lol: )

Fridge chutney

If you ignore the headline he doesn’t say much wrong. It’s a pig-headed attempt to walk back from something stupid he said in the past. But it’s full of praise for Cas.
I respectfully disagree, because of the context of what he said in August, which in my opinion proved to be wrong, and he is attempting to walk it back.

Souness in August:
He was playing with great players. He’s not a great player. He has never been a great player. I see him as a steady Eddie who will help United be more solid in midfield. I don’t think he has got a great range of passing. I don’t think he is going help other people play. I think he was lucky to be in that Real Madrid team. I never look forward to watching Casemiro. Benzema, definitely. The other midfield players, definitely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I respectfully disagree, because of the context of what he said in August, which in my opinion proved to be wrong, and he is attempting to walk it back.

Souness in August:
He’s definitely trying to walk it back. But even his August ramblings weren’t all that crazy. Kroos and Modric were always more box office than Cas. The only strange bit is Sounness underrating a player who’s way more similar to the way he used to play than either of those two.

Plus I think there’s a lot of us on here that have been as surprised as he is by the range of passing we’re seeing from Cas at United.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm a bit disappointed this seems to have replaced my Sourness thread. Very disappointed, in fact.

Rossa

He’s definitely trying to walk it back. But even his August ramblings weren’t all that crazy. Kroos and Modric were always more box office than Cas. The only strange bit is Sounness underrating a player who’s way more similar to the way he used to play than either of those two.

Plus I think there’s a lot of us on here that have been as surprised as he is by the range of passing we’re seeing from Cas at United.
But he goes on to say that he doesn’t get into every team in the world. City may not substitute Rodri, but that doesn’t mean Rodri is better. He is also factuakly wrong when he stated Madrid wanted to let him go.

He is argusbly the best DMin the world.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Describing Casemiro as a "steady eddie" has to be one of the most hilarious underratings of a player in possibly football history.

bosskeano

he'll never have anything good to say about a united player so he can just fuk off

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Liverpool must concede because VVD and Konate are too tall :lol: Considering him and carragher were saying martinez won’t cope with the premier league yet he’s been better then all there defenders.

Fridge chutney

Fair, Casemiro has been better than many have expected (but not Souness by his own admission) but the Souness ramblings in August were pretty bad.
- he was lucky to be in the Real Madrid team
- he won't help others play
- he isn't a great player

Those are disingenuous claims best, and they look even more comical now. Also, the issue I take with his recent comments is that he kind of doubles down: "Has he been better than I expected? I don't think so. I knew what he would bring."

Which implies he stands by his original opinion, and if so, he continues to be catastrophically wrong, because he is a great player (even if you put aside the "world class" argument) and he has definitely helped other players play (there are many analyses showing exactly how).

desirere

I don’t know if anybody mentioned this, but Real Madrid started winning with the Casemiro purchase. And yeah he never was considered box office, simply because he was playing in a star and quality studded Madrid side, while also playing the most unattractive & invisible role in the squad. However, anyone with half a brain understands what this role means and how to judge players playing in this position, but not Sourness though, although he played the same damn position. Casemiro is undeniably world class, as that term is used for all positions and just a select few.

cyberman

Caught a bit of TalkSport this morning and they said Souness has decided against doing their show anymore. Apparently doesn’t like the flack his shit opinions get when all that’s at fault is how shit his opinions are

Posh Red

Caught a bit of TalkSport this morning and they said Souness has decided against doing their show anymore. Apparently doesn’t like the flack his shit opinions get when all that’s at fault is how shit his opinions are
I noticed he hadn’t been on for a while and suspected this was the case. He’s had a complete mare.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

A DM can rarely be more box office than a CM / playmaker but while Modric is a cut above I'm not sure Casemiro was any less important than Kroos at Madrid.

lex talionis

We have clowns like Souness in the US. Skip Bayless in the sports world. Alex Jones in the political world. People like this are best ignored.

andy0

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine says that he's their version of Keane, but with us being lucky because Roy never got to manage United. Perhaps there's truth in that. He certainly was a brilliant player for them. I don't know if a single person could arrest Liverpool's decline back then, but the way he managed to alienate himself from his players (selling Beardsley, that went well) and make the fanbase loathe him (after the infamous Sun photo) was a pure disaster. Whenever he speaks, he offends someone. I'm surprised people take him seriously as a pundit.
I can remember the DJ John Peel - who was a keen Liverpool supporter - referring to the Souness management era as filling the team with players with the disciplinary record of a Shining Path guerrilla

Last edited:

Josh 76

One of the the fecked up things I can remember him saying was when Paul Pogba said he hadn’t heard of him.

Souness replied, “put Your medals on the table?”

Pogba medals, 3 Seria A titles, League Cup, Europa League and the biggest of them all, the fecking World Cup!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Is Mr Souness perhaps a bit of a snowflake? I thought he'd played the game and was a hard man?

crossy1686

career ending
Not surprised, he goes on there to make thinly guised digs at United and gets called out by Simon Jordan (who’s a damn sight more intelligent than Souness) and then can’t defend himself properly from his own shite take than only made sense in his head. But then again, if my head was filled with “You’ll never walk alone” on repeat and Pogba dabbing I’d struggle to function properly as well.

crossy1686

career ending
Is Mr Souness perhaps a bit of a snowflake? I thought he'd played the game and was a hard man?
He’s an idiot. This is a man, that in one of the most dangerous derbies in all the world, stuck a rivals flag in the middle of the pitch while everything was kicking off…

He’s lucky he made it out of the stadium alive.