Spurs officially departed tonight

simmee

What? If he doesn't hit the ball the way he wants then he has no control over whether it goes higher and lower.

I think Jorginho's penalty was much worse but nobody will talk about it because it went in.
He's a great penalty taker that loves to troll the goalkeeper. Done it a few times. Nobody will talk about it being worse since it obviously wasn't.

This thread was as predictable as I expected.

Extra time from a Utd perspective is surely (a very minor) positive from the match.

Personally I’d like the word bottle or any variant banned unless we are talking about brewing. It’s really boring, adds nothing to the thread and isn't even amusing.

PS - didn’t watch the match.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Winks and Lamela definitely aren't in their first XI. feck knows how Davies is mind, absolute shite in a Cornetto, no noticeable strengths to his game whatsoever. Makes Darmian look like a flair player.
Our first XI when fully fit is probably:

Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Vertonghen, Rose, Winks, Sissoko, Eriksen, Son, Alli, Kane.

Winks is first choice in all honesty, I don't think he should be yet but with Dembele gone and Wanyama broken that's the reality, I prefer him to Dier. We badly need to sign a central midfielder of genuine quality.

Agree regarding Davies. He's relatively competent but he offers so little going forward and is nothing more than solid defensively. He's not a terrible backup, but he certainly shouldn't be a regular starter for us. There's a reason he can also double up as a CB, and in 2019 the best sides have two fullbacks who can bomb forward and be an attacking threat.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He's a great penalty taker that loves to troll the goalkeeper. Done it a few times. Nobody will talk about it being worse since it obviously wasn't.
If you just take a penalty normally and it misses, people just say bad luck. Or good luck for the goaly.

When you try to do something smart with a penalty like Jorginho did, when it comes off everyone says that was smart. But when you fail, it makes whoever took the kick look like an idiot.

Bwuk

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.

Hard circumstances for them with injuries, but it’s a reoccurring theme with them.

Don’t know how to get over the finish line.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Extra time from a Utd perspective is surely (a very minor) positive from the match.

Personally I’d like the word bottle or any variant banned unless we are talking about brewing. It’s really boring, adds nothing to the thread and isn't even amusing.

Extra time? :confused:

Hammerfell

No kidding.

simmee

If you just take a penalty normally and it misses, people just say bad luck. Or good luck for the goaly.

When you try to do something smart with a penalty like Jorginho did, when it comes off everyone says that was smart. But when you fail, it makes whoever took the kick look like an idiot.
That's not true at all. Lucas penalty was bad for example, good height for the GK and weak. Jorginho has done it here, in the PL and in serie a. He's ice cold at penalties.

Morpheus 7

They were missing big players tonight, there is no getting past that. However, the question mark over Spurs mental strength is not going away. I wanted them to win but knew they lacked the edge in that shootout. When we equalized at Wembley last year, I just knew we would go on and win that game. Think they need a few more experienced winners. When everyone is fit they have a good first 11 but are lacking that push to get them over the line. Sooner or later the players and coach will need to make a decision, trophies are what it's about ultimately. It's a shame because they are a good side.

Dominos

Failing to hit the target, when the ground doesn't give way etc - is bottling it.

It's that his psychological state was too weak to keep it together.

He bottled it.
Sergio Ramos ballooned one over the bar against Bayern. He has 4 champions league medals, 2 euros and a world cup. Bottler.

nikineil

He missed the target - his penalty wasn't saved.
As have Roberto Baggio and Sergio Ramos and plenty others. Does not make them "bottlers" in the slightest though, does it now? Granted Spurs have lost a few semis and finals, but that is harsh to call them bottlers, especially after tonight.

Edit: @Dominos beat me to it.

Trizy

Rightly so. Azpilicueta's penalty is the one everyone should study and emulate.

Here's an interesting image. The xG values for penalties when the keeper dives the right way. Gives you an idea that this wasn't clever by Jorginho. Although I enjoyed it when it went in. :D

That nearly enforces left footed players can't score (see bottom right vs left). Topic for another day.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Rightly so. Azpilicueta's penalty is the one everyone should study and emulate.

Here's an interesting image. The xG values for penalties when the keeper dives the right way. Gives you an idea that this wasn't clever by Jorginho. Although I enjoyed it when it went in. :D

Very interesting, it confirms the notion that mid-height penalties are the easiest to save.

What is the source?

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Another trophyless season for the mighty Spurs.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

It's that stutter/hop that he took right before he shot. It put the keeper off and he picked his side a fraction early and Jorginho just passed it in the oppisite side. I have a teammate who does the same thing and he always sends the keeper the wrong way. I tried it once and kicked my own foot...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My first coach taught me a very long time ago that you can never go under the net, but you can always go over. On our team, if you took a penalty and you put the ball high you never took another. Even if you scored. He was very strict on shooting low and aiming for the triangle in the side netting. If the keeper saved it, hats off to him. If you shot wide, he would be upset but you would get to redeem yourself. If you shot high, he would lose his sh*t...

Charlie Foley

People get touchy about the "b" word, but Spur's record in Semis and Finals is pretty abysmal
It is. To be fair though, it's often the case that they've been good enough to beat the teams up to that point, but once they get there they're playing better teams whom they can't beat.

I do imagine playing for a club that always loses semi finals must weigh heavy on your mind when you're in a semi final. It's like the England, or Germany, records for penalties. "We always lose/win at this" (delete as appropriate) must impact your mental state. The awareness of it makes the trend self-fulfilling to an extent.

You could lose a thousand finals in a row and not bottle any of them. I'm also of the theory that you can win a final while bottling it but I get why that might be unpopular. An example: Roy Keane said watching the 1999 final that the Bayern players had bottled it in the last 10 minutes, having been the better team they were just strung out across the penalty box waiting for it to end. That would have been the case even if Teddy and Ole didn't do what they did.

With that all said, :lol: at bottley Spursy Spurs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm also of the theory that you can win a final while bottling it but I get why that might be unpopular. An example: Roy Keane said watching the 1999 final that the Bayern players had bottled it in the last 10 minutes, having been the better team they were just strung out across the penalty box waiting for it to end. That would have been the case even if Teddy and Ole didn't do what they did.
Even if you change the premiss of what Roy Keane is saying, he still speaks the truth. Alternatively, if they won he could have said they nearly bottled it but got lucky. If you lack bottle you won't have the confidence to do what you are set out to do, and this implies a failure. The aim is to win a game of football so even lacking something for a brief moment, if you then actually pull it together and win, you had the bottle for it. But then again of course, everything can't be blamed on confidence, in that case we should just word things differently.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
what a surprise the Pochettino has lost another trophy, perfect coach for Spurs, but apparently he is a favourite for many MU fans too

crossy1686

career ending
what a surprise the Pochettino has lost another trophy, perfect coach for Spurs, but apparently he is a favourite for many MU fans too
Said this before but if you swap him with Howe, Silva or Santo as manager, no one would even notice. The way Tottenham crumble under the slightest whiff of expectation is alarming and alarm bells should be fecking ringing everywhere.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
That nearly enforces left footed players can't score (see bottom right vs left). Topic for another day.
Isn’t this just because more players are right footed, and the ball (shot harder) spins away from the goalkeeper when shot bottom left by the majority of players?

Mr Smith

Amazed how much Spurs are getting criticised for this. They looked absolutely exhausted, dead on their feet. Past failures may be constituted as "bottling", but I don't think this qualifies. This squad just can't compete on multiple fronts. Until there's greater investment, this will always be their ceiling.

crossy1686

career ending
Amazed how much Spurs are getting criticised for this. They looked absolutely exhausted, dead on their feet. Past failures may be constituted as "bottling", but I don't think this qualifies. This squad just can't compete on multiple fronts. Until there's greater investment, this will always be their ceiling.
They conceded two soft goals in the first half when all they had to do was hold on. If you have a depleted team away from home in a cup tie you're already winning you don't set them out with plan A and more of plan A when plan A doesn't work.

For fecks sake, we beat Arsenal with O'Shea, Fabio, Raffael and Gibson in midfield once. Stop making excuses for shitty management.

acnumber9

They will win five games in a row and then lose one when they are expected to win.

When we won the Europa, they got knocked out by Gent or Genk I think. They have these sort of brainfart performances.

City just have something more whatever Pep does, because spurs have really good players.

Granted the there is a lot of competition. They cannot seem to dig out results. I have seen liverpool play poorly this season in some games yet they win because they grind out a result.
Spurs have done nothing but dig out results for most of the season. Their performances have largely been poor bar the Chelsea league game and a few over Christmas when they bagged a lot of goals. They look like a team that haven’t strengthened in years. Pochettino has done remarkably to keep getting results I would say.