Music Taylor Swift

Moby

Dick
Exactly. Certain crowds. A lot of people not part of that certain crowds are more likely to have heard of TS.
I mean around 6 million people watched J-K (how has the caf censored my man's name :lol:) sleep on his live but whatever. It's bizarre for me that anyone who is remotely interested in any music wouldn't know them but then I've watched hundreds if not thousands of hours of their content and it's different for us.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I mean around 6 million people watched J-K (how has the caf censored my man's name :lol:) sleep on his live but whatever. It's bizarre for me that anyone who is remotely interested in any music wouldn't know them but then I've watched hundreds if not thousands of hours of their content and it's different for us.
Tunnel vision and confirmation bias is a thing, so you are forgiven. I think more non fans might know them bc of appearances in marketing material for Samsung or McDonald's than their music.

Moby

Dick
Tunnel vision and confirmation bias is a thing, so you are forgiven.
Dude. I'm not even army. :lol: Head outside the grandpacafe maybe

You're obviously not a teenage girl. BTS is very well known among certain crowds.
That would be the case 10 years ago. They're gone now (until 2025 and the world isn't ready for that comeback) but now it's Stray Kids who rule. :drool:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Dude. I'm not even army. :lol: Head outside the grandpacafe maybe

That would be the case 10 years ago. They're gone now (until 2025 and the world isn't ready for that comeback) but now it's Stray Kids who rule. :drool:
I only know that one song with Coldplay.
Exactly. Certain crowds. A lot of people not part of that certain crowds are more likely to have heard of TS or at least know some of her songs. Man this thread is weird. I just came here to make fun and now I'm defending Taylor.
We need verified facts on this.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
My TV is hooked to my phone that somehow picked up on these posts and fired up their live comp on my YouTube. Not even kidding. :lol: its usually queued up anyway but this was a bit spooky.
Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson

David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff

Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton

Moby

Dick
Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson

David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff, David Hasselhoff

Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton
My machines have freedom within the domain of my rule, Chico.

Now let me watch some Kookie magic in peace.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
They aren't a religion for nothing. :lol:

That last collab Kook did with Usher before leaving was iconic beyond words. He also took over Times Square doing that live. You should've gone! :D
Funny story all these lives happen a few blocks away from me and I always find out after it has happened. I can walk up the street and be at Times Square in minutes but I would get trampled by a bunch of teenagers if I tried to get through that crowd.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Funny story all these lives happen a few blocks away from me and I always find out after it has happened. I can walk up the street and be at Times Square in minutes but I would get trampled by a bunch of teenagers if I tried to get through that crowd.
Are you of all people afraid of teenage girls?!

Moby

Dick
I doubt there's a force in the world that would have stopped me if any one of the seven showed up few kilometres near me let along few blocks and again they're not even my bias. :lol:

One of my friends (in her 30s) who is army legit cried for days after J-K left. I don't think she's gonna be okay soon. :lol:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Are you of all people afraid of teenage girls?!
If you ever had the pleasure of raising one you'd be very afraid. :D
I doubt there's a force in the world that would have stopped me if any one of the seven showed up few kilometres near me let along few blocks and again they're not even my bias. :lol:

One of my friends (in her 30s) who is army legit cried for days after J-K left. I don't think she's gonna be okay soon. :lol:
You're surprising me with all this. I would have never guessed you would be a fanboi.:p
I would only risk losing limbs for a band like Imagine Dragons.

Moby

Dick
If you ever had the pleasure of raising one you'd be very afraid. :D

You're surprising me with all this. I would have never guessed you would be a fanboi.:p
I would only risk losing limbs for a band like Imagine Dragons.
I always love to be full of surprises so thanks for the compliment. <3

Taking the K-Drug was one of the best things I ever did, and yeah there's never ever any turning back. :D

There's something otherworldly in the genetics of that country and what's coming out every year. They can't be from this planet, at least that's the only valid explanation for me. :lol:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I always love to be full of surprises so thanks for the compliment. <3

Taking the K-Drug was one of the best things I ever did, and yeah there's never ever any turning back. :D

There's something otherworldly in the genetics of that country and what's coming out every year. They can't be from this planet, at least that's the only valid explanation for me. :lol:
There's that other group that's quite popular, Blackpink. What I'm more interested in is what moisturizer they use. Their skin is flawless and look like porcelain.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're telling me that writing good pop tunes doesn't take much skill? Tell that to the millions of aspiring songwriters in the genre that, while being better than Taylor at singing or playing guitar, are mediocre songwriters. It's not that it takes less skill, it takes different skills.
It obviously takes skill. Everyone who makes it has skill whether it be Lady Gaga, Adele, Beiber or Swift. But making simple pop tunes definitely takes less skill than more intricate and more skillfully put together music does. Not to mention Pop music also has different levels of quality - and I’d argue that her music falls into the decent to goodish range so it’s not even in the upper echelons of just pop.

Sandler's movies doesn't hold up against other movies in the same genre,
Neither does Swift’s music. If we correlate to the action genre, she’s more like a generic Marvel action flick than one of the greats like Terminator 2. I mean pop music isn’t even my genre of choice as it is simplistic and inherently more basic music (hence less skill musically) but if you had a best of album between her and MJ, I reckon Swift wouldn’t get a single song in. IMO anyway.

It’s doesn’t make me more qualified in any sense in this discourse but I do write my own music as a hobby and writing a good pop song is not that difficult - maybe an all time great pop song, sure but not the general stuff you hear these days. Writing Sapokonikan by Joanna Newsom though - no chance I could ever do that - not with 5 alternate reality versions of me working together for years. Sheer genius right there.

Moby

Dick
There's that other group that's quite popular, Blackpink. What I'm more interested in is what moisturizer they use. Their skin is flawless and look like porcelain.
That's my original bias group! Blink through and through. Last year I made my workplace play Pink Venom at the annual event. :lol:

We recently celebrated Chaeyoung's birthday. If I could build a statue for her I would. :drool:

Exactly. They even have three lungs. :lol:

Last edited:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
That's my original bias group! Blink through and through. Last year I made my workplace play Pink Venom at the annual event. :lol:

We recently celebrated Chaeyoung's birthday. If I could build a statue for her I would. :drool:
Haha who are you and what did you do to Moby? :D

CoopersDream

It obviously takes skill. Everyone who makes it has skill whether it be Lady Gaga, Adele, Beiber or Swift. But making simple pop tunes definitely takes less skill than more intricate and more skillfully put together music does. Not to mention Pop music also has different levels of quality - and I’d argue that her music falls into the decent to goodish range so it’s not even in the upper echelons of just pop.
The issue with saying that though, is that there's absolutely no reason to believe just because someone is good at what you deem to be 'more skillfully put together music' they'd be good at making pop music. Because it's so inherently different to, for example, making a 22 minute prog-epic.

Neither does Swift’s music. If we correlate to the action genre, she’s more like a generic Marvel action flick than one of the greats like Terminator 2. I mean pop music isn’t even my genre of choice as it is simplistic and inherently more basic music (hence less skill musically) but if you had a best of album between her and MJ, I reckon Swift wouldn’t get a single song in. IMO anyway.
But it clearly does though. It's better than the vast, vast majority of pop music (which clearly is the absolute opposite to Sandler's standard movie which is worse than the vast, vast majority of similar movies). But yes, if we only compare her to the very best in the genre, she'd come up short. Not sure what's the point with that, though, other than saying she isn't the best pop musicial of all time which absolutely no one here has stated.

It’s doesn’t make me more qualified in any sense in this discourse but I do write my own music as a hobby and writing a good pop song is not that difficult - maybe an all time great pop song, sure but not the general stuff you hear these days. Writing Sapokonikan by Joanna Newsom though - no chance I could ever do that - not with 5 alternate reality versions of me working together for years. Sheer genius right there.
Maybe an all time great pop song is difficult? Yes, because being better than millions of people doing this every day is not actually that difficult. Sounds like you could have made yourself a fortune writing the best pop songs there ever was.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I find it odd that I don't know any TS songs. In the past good pop songs by artists I didn't like (or like much) were still universally known e.g. Baby One More Time by Britney Spears or numerous Michael Jackson tunes or Wanabee by The Spice Girls or lots my Lady Gaga. TS is as big or bigger yet anonymous/unknown to a huge proportion of the population.

Maybe it is down to how we consume music now?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not a song that makes my Tay top 100 but one the keyboard grandpas in this thread could benefit from hearing.
Both Teams to Score? Sorry no idea why you're using betting references in this thread.
Ah. Forgot this was dinosaurcafe
Dunno whether it’s cute or creepy to see fully grown men bickering with each other over who has the most teen relevant identity.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I find it odd that I don't know any TS songs. In the past good pop songs by artists I didn't like (or like much) were still universally known e.g. Baby One More Time by Britney Spears or numerous Michael Jackson tunes or Wanabee by The Spice Girls or lots my Lady Gaga. TS is as big or bigger yet anonymous/unknown to a huge proportion of the population.

Maybe it is down to how we consume music now?
Music is more siloed now. I've not heard any Taylor Swift songs but I consume my music through playlists on Spotify curated for my specific tastes.

20 years ago I would have heard her on MTV or radio, the same way I heard Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera and co.

Pogue Mahone

Music is more siloed now. I've not heard any Taylor Swift songs but I consume my music through playlists on Spotify curated for my specific tastes.

20 years ago I would have heard her on MTV or radio, the same way I heard Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera and co.
I think there’s more to it than that. There’s been a few ear worms by artists in the same genre (Miley Cyrus, Sia, Billy Eilish, Harry Styles) that would have crawled into my brain and taken root during a period when not a single TS tune left any trace. It can’t be a coincidence that so many people keep posting in this thread about her music not being memorable. Maybe it really isn’t memorable?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think there’s more to it than that. There’s been a few ear worms by artists in the same genre (Miley Cyrus, Sia, Billy Eilish, Harry Styles) that would have crawled into my brain and taken root during a period when not a single TS tune left any trace. It can’t be a coincidence that so many people keep posting in this thread about her music not being memorable. Maybe it really isn’t memorable?
Now that you mention it... I can't think of a single tune from any of those. Maybe except Party in the USA.

I also don't think TS songs are memorable to people who aren't teenager girls (double negative sorry)

Pogue Mahone

Now that you mention it... I can't think of a single tune from any of those. Maybe except Party in the USA.

I also don't think TS songs are memorable to people who aren't teenager girls (double negative sorry)
Fair enough. I guess the secret sauce that makes mediocre pop songs stick in your head won’t work the same in every listener. So I’ll have to accept that ST melodies might be catchy to some people.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Nah I think Harry is in a different class. He's talented. I love his song Satellite.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've only heard one by Miley Cyrus quite a while ago, one by Sia as a guest on a Hilltop Hoods track, but I have never heard (or remembered) anything by Billy Eilish (until the True Detective theme) or Harry Styles.

Wing Attack Plan R

Just going out shopping or to the grocery store exposes a person to pop music like this. Frequently I am using Shazam to find out what pop song is playing in Ralphs (grocery store), and frequently I am surprised ("oh, so that's what this person sounds like?!") I would bet there are several TS songs everyone has heard unless they are a shut-in. The only Miley Cyrus song I can name is Party in the USA, but I only heard that because of the (in)famous video of kids at a Trapped Under Ice / Cruel Hand / Foundation (the latter two's singers are featured) show singing along to it. What I love about this video is these people listen to a fairly angry, grinding, tuneless type of hardcore, and they all know this Miley song and they're having a great time goofing around while it plays. There's too much of this "you listen to Taylor Swift so you don't know good music", or "you're not cool". So you probably never heard a single band in these fans' collections, but they have no problem dancing to Miley. I can't name a single Beyonce song, but I'm sure I've heard her.

Last edited: