The "lazy black player" stereotype

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
despite the fact this lads post is going to be picked apart, somewhere in there is a fair point. If you were to devise a list of quick minded, forward thinking, creative style “maestro” (as he put it) type players then I would have to say the vast majority of them in my lifetime would be white. Is there a correlation of racial intelligence in general to football? I would say no. As I believe Asians are considered to have the highest IQ in general more so than whites or blacks and yet Asian football is a long way behind European football.
You'd say that because you're spewing the same racist bullshit that he was, in more or less the same words.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How is Zidane not white?:confused:
With respect, I'm not sure how many more times I can say this.

Zidane is a full Algerian berber, with a berber name and berber heritage. The fact he is pale skinned does not make him white (or perhaps better and more accurate to say Caucasian) and if he did not have the good fortune to become a famous footballer, would certainly be seen as an Arab rather than a white European in France, whether it came to face to face interactions or applying for jobs with the name Zinedine.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Zidane is not white. If he were not a footballer and was just living in the rough neighbourhood he grew up in, he would not be treated the same as Clement in most areas of his life.

Race is a complex matter. Some Arabs are incredibly pale (my mother in law for instance is whiter than most Caucasians) but if you're a pale Arab called Mohammed, born in Syria, you are not going to be treated the same as an Edvard in Norway or a James in England.
Yeah but you’re trying to apply logic to racists, which isn’t something I’d say they were known for. Just because they’d treat someone differently based on their nationality, does that mean that person isn’t white? Black English people get racially abused all the time in England, as I know you’re aware, but they’re still English. It doesn’t change anything. Idiots treating you like an outsider doesn’t change the fact you’re still one of them.

I’m not French or black so what the hell do I know, I just can’t get my head around the fact that I’m looking at a white man who isn’t white because he’s not from a white mans country.

RMD83

It is all about where you grow up playing, as an example there are very few of the "Maestro" types that you talk about from England because historically England youth teams have been encouraged to play a direct game which is devoid of intricate passing and does not necessarily foster great technical ability. There are of course outliers such as Carrick and Hoddle.

Ironically given the contents of your post one of the England players with the highest in game IQ of our generation is Rio Ferdinand. Race has nothing to do with it, youth development has everything to do with it.
The list of players in mention is from someone else’s post, someone I was merely defending as I don’t think he had particularly bad intentions in what he was saying. And yes absolutely the conditions of which you have to play football under and the coaching plays a big part in the style of player you will become. It’s ironic that you mention Rio though who undoubtedly was a very intelligent footballer as somewhere within the thread is the debate of black players being labelled as athletes and not credited for intelligence like their white counterparts, which in the case of Rio doesn’t stand up as he was widely lorded for his incredible reading of the game, intelligence and athleticism.

Enigma_87

You know who
With respect, I'm not sure how many more times I can say this.

Zidane is a full Algerian berber, with a berber name and berber heritage. The fact he is pale skinned does not make him white (or perhaps better and more accurate to say Caucasian) and if he did not have the good fortune to become a famous footballer, would certainly be seen as an Arab rather than a white European in France, whether it came to face to face interactions or applying for jobs with the name Zinedine.
With all respect, Zidane is born in France and is a non practicing Muslim.

This is his parents:

By definition:

The Caucasian race (also Caucasoid[1] or Europid)[2] is a grouping of human beings historically regarded as a biological taxon, which, depending on which of the historical race classifications used, has usually included some or all of the ancient and modern populations of Europe, Western Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa.[3]
Zidane has all the traits of being closer to the Caucasian race than any other. If you apply other definitions:
For US Census purposes and employment purposes and such nowadays, any non-black (by self-identification) North Africans and Middle Easterners, from Morocco to the Levant to Turkey and Persia and Armenia and so on, are all considered "White/Caucasian".
In any case just being from berberian descent doesn't make him non-caucasian by definition.

RMD83

You'd say that because you're spewing the same racist bullshit that he was, in more or less the same words.
Yes well done. I tried to help out someone who I don’t believe is trying to be racist and was clearly about to be savaged by pointing out that there was a a bit of logic or factual basis behind one sentence of his fifty sentence post and now I’m apparently a racist.

Eire Red United

despite the fact this lads post is going to be picked apart, somewhere in there is a fair point. If you were to devise a list of quick minded, forward thinking, creative style “maestro” (as he put it) type players then I would have to say the vast majority of them in my lifetime would be white. Is there a correlation of racial intelligence in general to football? I would say no. As I believe Asians are considered to have the highest IQ in general more so than whites or blacks and yet Asian football is a long way behind European football.
Asian football is a long way behind for obvious reasons but in time it will catch up as the game grows in countries like China and India. You’ve got a point about the majority of “maestro” style players being white, whether thats down to coincidence or not I don’t know.

Enigma_87

You know who
Asian football is a long way behind for obvious reasons but in time it will catch up as the game grows in countries like China and India. You’ve got a point about the majority of “maestro” style players being white, whether thats down to coincidence or not I don’t know.
The countries that are best in terms of developing talent are mostly white and that's the biggest reason if you ask me. Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Argentina, Brazil (only 7% currently are constituted as blacks) - generally countries with predominantly white population.

Reddy Rederson

It's hard to imagine a player complaining about fans singing about his 'huge penis'.
The black man with a huge penis myth came about because old timey racists would refere to black men as aminalistic, sub human, driven only by lust. It’s all part the dehumanising racism that spurred hatred for black men on. Ie, a black man with his huge swinging cock is a sexual threat only caring about his own lustful wants. So while it may seem like a complimentary bit of harmless stereotyping, it’s actually quite fecked up.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah but you’re trying to apply logic to racists, which isn’t something I’d say they were known for. Just because they’d treat someone differently based on their nationality, does that mean that person isn’t white? Black English people get racially abused all the time in England, as I know you’re aware, but they’re still English. It doesn’t change anything. Idiots treating you like an outsider doesn’t change the fact you’re still one of them.

I’m not French or black so what the hell do I know, I just can’t get my head around the fact that I’m looking at a white man who isn’t white because he’s not from a white mans country.
Thing is, I'm actually not and I think it brings us back quite nicely to what I think was one of the main points of the OP of this thread, which is the subconscious ways we can view those of other races. I'm not talking about your typical 'racist' who maybe goes around shouting racial slurs, saying the Poles need to get out of England or whatever. Those are in a minority, vocal and obvious. I am talking about the insidious racism which people probably don't even necessarily realise is happening.

Luckily, the guardian have recently done a whole series of articles on exactly this topic so it saves me having to dig for a while for some older ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/series/bias-in-britain

A whole series of excellent articles there which would take a while to peruse. So I'll quote the most relevant bit for this discussion I guess:

In France in 2016, a consulting firm commissioned by the labour ministry sent out 3,000 applications for 1,500 jobs advertised by 40 companies in six cities. It found that 47% of candidates with “traditional” French names got interviews, compared with 36% of those with north African names.

More recently, in 2009 the government carried out its own exercise, sending out nearly 3,000 job applications under three false identities – Nazia Mahmood, Mariam Namagembe and Alison Taylor, designed to represent Asian, African and white applicants respectively.

The study – the first to move largely to online applications – found that an applicant who appeared to be white would send nine applications before receiving a positive response of either an invitation to an interview or an encouraging telephone call. Minority candidates with the same qualifications and experience had to send 16 applications before receiving a similar response.

Last year the BBC’s Inside Out London sent out CVs from two candidates, Adam and Mohamed, who had identical skills and experience, in response to 100 job opportunities. Adam was offered 12 interviews and Mohamed four.

Similar studies have been carried out overseas, yielding similar results. In a 2016 study, 1,600 CVs were sent to employers in 16 metropolitan areas in the US. Among African American candidates, 25% of résumés that were “whitened” to remove any indication of minority ethnicity received callbacks, compared with 10% of those left unaltered. Among Asian applicants, 21% heard back after they had changed their résumé and 11% if not.

And there are loads more similar examples from this article in particular, which is the source for the above

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...a-name-how-mystery-shopping-studies-show-bias

So Nazia Mahmood may well be white than Alison Taylor. Mohammed may well be whiter than Adam and Zindedine or Riyad may be whiter than Thierry. But when it really comes down to it, they are not treated as white. And not by racists only but on a day to day basis, most likely by those as above who I reckon have no idea they're discriminating in any way at all.

And of course Black English people can be English. We're not white though and are never treated as such, regardless of how we act. I guess in a similar way to how Obama is just as white as he is black, how he was actually raised by his white mum and white grandparents but is still always the first black president, not the 44th white one.

Besides, weren't the 1998 WC winning French team hailed by the French as 'black, blanc, beur'? Not black, blanc? And were there not stories about the French authorities discussing imposing a 30% quota on black and Arab players? This would be a strange thing to do if they saw Benzema, Zidane, Nasri (who is one of the palest people I've ever seen) and Rami the same as they saw Lloris, Pavard and Giroud?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
With all respect, Zidane is born in France and is a non practicing Muslim.

By definition:

Zidane has all the traits of being closer to the Caucasian race than any other. If you apply other definitions:

In any case just being from berberian descent doesn't make him non-caucasian by definition.
Right, I never said he and his family weren't light skinned though. As I said, my mother in law is incredibly pale, despite being Egyptian. She married a Dutch man and my wife is similarly very pale but has an Arab first name which marks her out quite clearly. Especially when people find out her name, the treatment changes.

I also didn't mention anything about his religion or place of birth. Pogba was also born in France, though does happen to be a practicing Muslim apparetly but I don't think anybody would call him white. My statements were never anything to do with his place of birth or religion.

I think you've shown the problem with the definition there and of itself. I am not talking about the classical definition of caucasian, which by the above would include all of the following:

I think it is quite obvious that today most people would not use caucasian in that context but would use it in the context of white Europeans or people of white European descent. If you wish to use the official definition, then yes, I guess Zidane does share caucasian ancestry with all of the above.

The Americans do class Arabs as 'white' on their census, despite repeated efforts, over years and years, from those very same Arab and Middle Eastern communities, to have a different, distinct category on the census. It is something the bureau have been considering and something they have become more open to of late.

Having said all this, I have no idea why a throwaway comment, completely meaningless to my actual point or indeed the point of this thread, has become the focus of discussion here.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wondered what a highly noted non racist was and how we'd even see that.
The reference to Shearer was in response to the suggestion that if Alan Shearer says Lukaku is lazy then he must be. I'm not sure that Shearer even used that term but if he did it doesn't suddenly legitimise anything.

Eire Red United

If your truth is "...white players are more intelligent than black players."

And you have the audacity to use green smilies to support such comments! Wow! :eek:
No if you read the post I quoted, he clearly said the majority of those “maestro” type players are white, which is true and as someone rightly pointed out above, this is largely due to the countries best know for developing talent are predominantly white. But no, don’t bother reading whats posted and just cry racism.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
What the feck is casual racism anyway? Racism is racism, whether out in the open, behind closed door or "casually."
Here's a reasonable explanation of what casual racism is from top of a google search

https://itstopswithme.humanrights.gov.au/what-can-you-do/speak/casual-racism

A good example would probably be the post we've just had from @OutlawGER I suspect he's not intended to say anything offensive, and alludes to his own lack of sensitivity, but unfortunately he has and has got flak for it.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
The black man with a huge penis myth came about because old timey racists would refere to black men as aminalistic, sub human, driven only by lust. It’s all part the dehumanising racism that spurred hatred for black men on. Ie, a black man with his huge swinging cock is a sexual threat only caring about his own lustful wants. So while it may seem like a complimentary bit of harmless stereotyping, it’s actually quite fecked up.
Yep and it played it's part in the lynching of black men.

Enigma_87

You know who
Right, I never said he and his family weren't light skinned though. As I said, my mother in law is incredibly pale, despite being Egyptian. She married a Dutch man and my wife is similarly very pale but has an Arab first name which marks her out quite clearly. Especially when people find out her name, the treatment changes.

I also didn't mention anything about his religion or place of birth. Pogba was also born in France, though does happen to be a practicing Muslim apparetly but I don't think anybody would call him white. My statements were never anything to do with his place of birth or religion.

I think you've shown the problem with the definition there and of itself. I am not talking about the classical definition of caucasian, which by the above would include all of the following:

I think it is quite obvious that today most people would not use caucasian in that context but would use it in the context of white Europeans or people of white European descent. If you wish to use the official definition, then yes, I guess Zidane does share caucasian ancestry with all of the above.

The Americans do class Arabs as 'white' on their census, despite repeated efforts, over years and years, from those very same Arab and Middle Eastern communities, to have a different, distinct category on the census. It is something the bureau have been considering and something they have become more open to of late.

Having said all this, I have no idea why a throwaway comment, completely meaningless to my actual point or indeed the point of this thread, has become the focus of discussion here.
My point wasn't meant to be criticism by any means mate. However it is a problem nowadays that people are marked based purely on ancestry and name. People have become way too cosmopolitan to classify them based on single criteria and due to many mixed marriages the caucasian "definition" and family itself has grown immensely.

Apart from being pale skin he shares a lot of other traits that would make him as white as some other people from aryan or catalan types for example.

Either way we digress.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
No if you read the post I quoted, he clearly said the majority of those “maestro” type players are white, which is true and as someone rightly pointed out above, this is largely due to the countries best know for developing talent are predominantly white. But no, don’t bother reading whats posted and just cry racism.
Perhaps you should read the post he's defending:
Well even if so, what's the problem? Black players are far more talented if it comes to physicallity, i think no one can deny that. They are usually faster, bigger and stronger. And it seems that white players are usually more intelligent. So what? In both cases there are of course exceptions, but have you seen many black players play like Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, Zidane, Gerrard, Lampard, Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, etc.? I can't even name one black 'maestro' tbh. Maybe we could count Ronaldinho into this as the exception though.

Why is it racism if we say white players are more intelligent than black players, but it isn't racism if we say black players are physically more gifted (not only in sports btw...) than white players? It reminds me of german schools, when turkish kids say to german kids "you damn german!" and the german kid responds "you damn turk!", only the german kid is getting accused of racism. And i think that's bs.
If you had already read this and are still trying to argue with me then I'm not gonna waste my time with you because there clearly is no point!

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
People denied it because they have a different opinion to you, not because they are ignorant or have an inferior understanding of a topic to you. You accused people of 'casual racism' based on incredibly flimsy evidence, and are now accusing people of ignorance and 'showing a lack of understanding' because they take a different position on what should actually be considered racism. I'm not surprised there was a melee, it's not very nice to be accused of being casually racist because you called a player lazy or overweight, the same way people accuse Fellaini of being a donkey or Phil Jones of being the thickest player to grace the game. You're placing insidious intent on harmless comments reflecting frustrating at a player who is performing poorly, and you're then surprised when they react badly to that? Your opinion is that it qualifies as casual racism. Other people's opinion is that it qualifies as the same kind of abuse that other members of the team receive.

Of course stereotypes exist, and I don't think many on this forum would argue that racism has been taken out of the game or deny the existence of stereotypes. There is still certainly a tendency to pigeon hole black players and you see plenty of lazy generalisations across the internet, but that doesn't mean that Lukaku has been the target of casual racism on this board. Your argument is what, because in the past black players have been stereotyped as lazy & lacking in intelligence, people who are now suggesting Lukaku is lazy or lacks intelligence are automatically doing so because of the colour of his skin? What happened to approaching situations on a case by case basis, instead of horrendous group think identity politics in which context becomes nothing more than a hazy blur?

Lukaku has appeared lazy this season. His running statistics back this up, and he has a languid style of play which can frustrate the fans and make it appear as if he is not even putting a minimal amount of effort. If a player appears to barely be breaking in to a sprint, it follows that people will accuse him of being lazy regardless of his skin colour. People have already mentioned this, but Ozil and Ibrahimovic are two white players with a similar 'casual' style of play, both of which have been accused of laziness throughout their careers. If it was for example Welbeck being accused of laziness, then you would be absolutely justified in calling it out as a lazy racial stereotype, but if someone doesn't bother to run they are going to be branded lazy.

Footballers have been insulted for their intelligence when they play poorly for as long as I can remember. Anybody who has been to a game/seen a match day thread will know that when a striker misses an easy chance, the cries of 'fecking stupid cnut!' are never far behind. Again, just because a stereotype exists surrounding the intelligence of black players, it doesn't immediately follow that anybody questioning a black player for their intelligence is being racist. I never saw Drogba being accused of stupidity, I don't see it aimed at Kante, and one of the players considered the most intelligent in my own clubs recent history (Ledley King) was black. Lukaku is being called stupid because he appears to have forgotten how to make intelligent runs, and seems to have forgotten the basic skill of holding up a football. I think he gets called dumb because he's a large, powerfully built guy who right now looks extremely clumsy with the ball, which makes him look a bit stupid. The big, thick, technically limited target man is a stereotype in football and one which is disconnected from race. I don't see any evidence he's being called stupid because he's black, it seems like lazy assumptions to me. Maybe some of the people you quoted genuinely did call him or lazy or stupid because he's black, but to quote them all and throw about the 'casual racism' tag based on nothing but abuse you see aimed at most footballers is totally out of order.

He gets called fat because he came out and admitted he's a bit fat at the moment, I mean what more evidence do you need? The player himself came out and admitted the fact that putting on weight has impacted his game, and you don't think the fans are going to jump on this when the ball bounces clumsily off him for the umpteenth time in a match? I mean for christ sake, you can see he's overweight, he admits to being overweight, so the fans are going to make comments based on his weight. There's absolutely nothing to support the idea that he's being called fat because he's black. Does anyone remember how much shit Higuain got for arriving at Juventus looking like he had just consumed the North's entire supply of greggs sausage rolls? Athletes are constantly being judged on this shit, because it's their job to be in the right shape, regardless of their ethnicity.

The gorilla comment was totally ignorant, and rightly was called out. That was a genuine example of racism, as is somebody throwing bananas on the pitch or people screaming racist abuse at Sterling during the Chelsea game. Of course not all racism is so obvious, but you can't just throw everybody in the same boat because they happened to call Lukaku lazy, or fat, or stupid .. and then expect them not to be slightly pissed off that you did that without any actual evidence that it was racially motivated. I find casual accusations of racism rife on this board, I find identity politics rife on this board, and I find it utterly ludicrous how you're positioning yourself as a victim after lazily throwing out accusations of racism. You didn't 'stick your head over the parapet', you made a gross generalisation and people questioned it. What else did you expect?
Massive post - one thing right. I don't view myself as any sort of victim.

Ozil is a poor choice here. He resigned from his national team for a specific reason..

https://www.ft.com/content/24d0d0aa-9196-11e8-b639-7680cedcc421

No Zlatan did not get the abuse Lukaku does - the amount of it or the terminology used. Neither did the much mentioned in this thread Berbatov who was equally often referred to as the term you've just used "languid" or "laid back" "mercurial" a "luxury player" etc etc The talksport host is spot on here.

All of those "dumb" Lukaku posts came in a thread not about his on field performance but about his body shape. There is a persistent inference that he's too "dumb" to look after himself. Oh and that he lies quite a lot too. No other players have routinely and persistently been referred to as "dumb" to the same extent. It's sinister. The man is thoughtful, intelligent and reflective in interview. And where does this idea that he's lying come from? What's it based on?

I've not said all black players are a victim of this stereotyping at any point. That would be absurd. I'm stating that it appears to be happening with Lukaku.

Big one this for you squish ...I've made this point about casual racism twice now and this is the third and last time I will do it. It is often unintentional and we can all be guilty of it. Being guilty of it doesn't necessarily make you a racist although obviously you could be.

The big question your post raises for me though is why do you insist on putting casual racism in quotation marks like that? That would suggest you deny it occurs and is not a real form racism that needs challenging. Why would you do that?

RG 11

What a car crash of a thread. A lot of unconscious casual racism in this thread. Some posters asking whether calling a white player a gorilla would be as big of a deal? Ofcourse it wouldn't, because white people haven't been stereotyped and persecuted for decades based on their appearance.

That's why it's an isolated case (though classless) if bale is called an ape based on his appearance. Because it's very different from using stereotypes which are used to simplify and judge an entire race.

Also re: Lukaku. I don't understand the hatred here for him. Yeah he's been woeful this season but compared to the bang average players we have, he's shown that he has much higher ceiling and has actually consistently been a good goal scorer since a very young age in the PL. I don't think it's racism related of course, just something which puzzles me a lot.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I dunno, is there a "Liberal of the Year" award that everyone's competing for?
Indeed people of colour give a shit about being seen as liberal

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My point wasn't meant to be criticism by any means mate. However it is a problem nowadays that people are marked based purely on ancestry and name. People have become way too cosmopolitan to classify them based on single criteria and due to many mixed marriages the caucasian "definition" and family itself has grown immensely.

Apart from being pale skin he shares a lot of other traits that would make him as white as some other people from aryan or catalan types for example.

Either way we digress.
Yeah fair enough mate, I know you weren't trying to criticise.

Either way, like we said, probably deviating the thread a bit too far from its original op so let's agree to disagree!

RMD83

In response to Prometheus once again sticking to his guns that i am being rasist defending this lads post. As I’ve already said I’m not defending his post, and already made it quite clear that I was pointing out that one particular point in there did hold some weight to it. That part being that the “maestro” style player has been predominantly white throughout history. I don’t agree with the rest of the post. For a start I could think of a number of “maestro” style black players with ease but still less so than white. I firmly believe as do others who have posted that this is the result of decades of majority white countries having more focus on football and better facilities for football. It has nothing to do what so ever with a perception that white people are more intelligent people and more intelligent footballers. I originally posted on this thread because I don’t believe lukaku should be exempt from being called lazy due to a historic racial stereotype, that’s my opinion. If you think he’s lazy you should feel free to call him lazy without there being a subliminal rasist undertone to it. Personally I don’t care what colour united players are, I couldn’t care less if every single player in the squad was black as long as they were playing well and represented the club with pride. Personally I find topics like this interesting and it’s a fine example of people of different races and cultures being able to discuss what differences they see or experience and could be used as a good way to learn from each other. But then in comes someone like you aggressively branding me racist for pointing out something factual with no malice, hate or predujice to it at all. And that’s the wrong attitude to have as its part of the problem of why topics like these turn out to be such sensitive subjects that most people choose to avoid them all together which in the end only segregates us all further.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Yaya used to get this all the time at City. It was never true and it always drove me mad.

Bola

Massive post - one thing right. I don't view myself as any sort of victim.

Ozil is a poor choice here. He resigned from his national team for a specific reason..

https://www.ft.com/content/24d0d0aa-9196-11e8-b639-7680cedcc421

No Zlatan did not get the abuse Lukaku does - the amount of it or the terminology used. Neither did the much mentioned in this thread Berbatov who was equally often referred to as the term you've just used "languid" or "laid back" "mercurial" a "luxury player" etc etc The talksport host is spot on here.

All of those "dumb" Lukaku posts came in a thread not about his on field performance but about his body shape. There is a persistent inference that he's too "dumb" to look after himself. Oh and that he lies quite a lot too. No other players have routinely and persistently been referred to as "dumb" to the same extent. It's sinister. The man is thoughtful, intelligent and reflective in interview. And where does this idea that he's lying come from? What's it based on?

I've not said all black players are a victim of this stereotyping at any point. That would be absurd. I'm stating that it appears to be happening with Lukaku.

Big one this for you squish ...I've made this point about casual racism twice now and this is the third and last time I will do it. It is often unintentional and we can all be guilty of it. Being guilty of it doesn't necessarily make you a racist although obviously you could be.

The big question your post raises for me though is why do you insist on putting casual racism in quotation marks like that? That would suggest you deny it occurs and is not a real form racism that needs challenging. Why would you do that?
Why would you link a series of posts that you consider to be racists to your own comment about 'white lads'.

It appears you are making an assumption that these posts (that you suggest are racist) are written by 'white lads'. Your previous explanation appears to suggest that you are making generalised assumptions about individuals based on race

So you think that is acceptable?

Last edited:

Cassidy

At his peak he was phenomenal. In his last two years he did become lazy.
He was always labelled as lazy for one. In his later years maybe he just didn't have the engine?

Cassidy

That's of your opinion on what counts of racist. Words and symbols

Why would you link a series of posts that you consider to be racists to your own comment about 'white lads'.

It appears you are making an assumption that these posts (that you suggest are racist) are written by 'white lads'. Your previous explanation appears to suggest that you are making generalised assumptions about individuals based on race

So you think that is acceptable?
Sorry why is my post quoted here?

Cassidy

Apologies, my response to barca must have picked up a quote to a post that I never finished a response to. I'll edit
Haha I was getting a little confused

Bola

Just a reminder:

To add to the collection;

People care more about being called racist, than the actual racism itself.
People care about both. Being described as a racist is a horrible slur. People have a right to be annoyed when it is thrown at them, particularly in the context of a debate when it is thrown at them during a reasoned discussion

Cassidy

Just a reminder:

To add to the collection;

People care more about being called racist, than the actual racism itself.
Very true from my observations in life

Cassidy

People care about both. Being described as a racist is a horrible slur. People have a right to be annoyed when it is thrown at them, particularly in the context of a debate when it is thrown at them during a reasoned discussion
I think its terrible to call someone a racist falsely, I don't think many times people are actually called racist though before they start defending themselves. This usually leads to not being able to have a discussion.