Television The Sopranos

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Just watched the last episode... the ending? Wtf? Someone explain
Nobody can and thats exactly the point of that ending. It was mind blowing when it happened and it still is now. Its entirely up to the imagination of the individual to consider what happened next. People call it lazy script writing... no, its fecking genius that will keep this series popular for a long... long time.

2E_MUFC

Nobody can and thats exactly the point of that ending. It was mind blowing when it happened and it still is now. Its entirely up to the imagination of the individual to consider what happened next. People call it lazy script writing... no, its fecking genius that will keep this series popular for a long... long time.
I think it was a good way to leave it with Tony. Leaving you to think for yourself. But with the rest of the story there’s no closure for any of it!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Lots of theories out there online. Going back through season 6, there's quite a bit of foreshadowing that you'd miss on a first-time viewing. Actually some of the theories I've read bring the foreshadowing right back through to season 1.

2E_MUFC

Lots of theories out there online. Going back through season 6, there's quite a bit of foreshadowing that you'd miss on a first-time viewing. Actually some of the theories I've read bring the foreshadowing right back through to season 1.
I’ll be watching it again 100%. I think you do notice more on the second watch.

Hoof the ball

There's no definitive ending as such. The sudden black might be alluding to the comment Tony made in one of the seasons when he referred to a mob hit as, "it just goes black." All indications point to him being killed, however, it's all open to interpretation. In real life, it's highly likely that someone with Tony's history and being head of a Family that the Commission would have put a hit on him since he became something of a liability to the Five Families as a whole.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Coming to the end of season 2 now. Considering it took me two weeks to finish the first season, it's surprisingly taken me nearly two months to get to the end of the second. Definitely enjoying it but there's something stopping me from rushing back to fire up a new episode. It's a fantastic show and I'm constantly captivated by Gandolfini but you can tell it's one of the first of its kind in a number of ways.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Coming to the end of season 2 now. Considering it took me two weeks to finish the first season, it's surprisingly taken me nearly two months to get to the end of the second. Definitely enjoying it but there's something stopping me from rushing back to fire up a new episode. It's a fantastic show and I'm constantly captivated by Gandolfini but you can tell it's one of the first of its kind in a number of ways.
Is that your
Be careful nobody spoils it for you eh?

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Be careful nobody spoils it for you eh?
The show stopped airing more than a decade ago. If I was to get angry about spoilers that'd be pretty fecking rich of me. As it happens, I don't really care about avoiding spoilers (if something's done well then something's done well), but if I did then I'm not sure I could expect to stay spoiler free for a show that has one of the most iconic final scenes of all time - an ending that caused a stir at the time, that everybody knows about, that's been referenced on hundreds of occasions since by a load of other TV shows.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
The show stopped airing more than a decade ago. If I was to get angry about spoilers that'd be pretty fecking rich of me. As it happens, I don't really care about avoiding spoilers (if something's done well then something's done well), but if I did then I'm not sure I could expect to stay spoiler free for a show that has one of the most iconic final scenes of all time - an ending that caused a stir at the time, that everybody knows about, that's been referenced on hundreds of occasions since by a load of other TV shows.
Word to the wise.. remember pearl harbour.

The Cat

Whoooooooosh...............

Hoof the ball

Worth a watch?
In my opinion, it's a must. Unlike other shows, it has no reliance upon one single protagonist to drive the story forward. It operates almost entirely within shades of grey, showing you elements within law enforcement devolving into antagonist category, and elements within organised crime evolving into protagonist cause. Because of this, it makes almost every character seem vitally important to the show and immensely deep, and there are a great number of them. It also deals masterfully with the issues of Baltimore at that time in terms of bureaucracy, schooling and news media. In fact, it was roundly praised as the most accurate representation of a newsroom to date. It's not only very important as a work of art in film and television, but it's also very important as a social commentary.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Whoooooooosh...............
There's no "Whoosh". I know exactly what you were talking about. I was saying that if anyone tried to get me back for the whole "timeline" episode, it wouldn't really affect how I view the show. :lol:

The Cat

There's no "Whoosh". I know exactly what you were talking about. I was saying that if anyone tried to get me back for the whole "timeline" episode, it wouldn't really affect how I view the show. :lol:
Is that your opinion or did you pinch it from someone? ;)

Hoof the ball

I love the fact that Michael Imperioli (Christopher Moltisanti) has aged over time and has come to a natural age in which he can effectively play his own father (Dickie Moltisanti) without the need for prosthetics.

In addition, the young version of Tony Soprano is being played by James Gandolfini's own son, Michael Gandolfini.

Last edited:

Suedesi

For some reason I can't exactly recall the main themes for each season. I do know however that the one with Richie Aprile was probably the one I liked most.
He's got dead eyes, like a shark. He was in the final running to be cast as Tony Soprano - glad Gandolfini won out in the end.

Member 115509

He's got dead eyes, like a shark. He was in the final running to be cast as Tony Soprano - glad Gandolfini won out in the end.
I think Tony described them as "Charles Manson lamps" during one of their numerous disagreements :lol:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
"I wipe my ass with your feelings" still cracks me up.

Suedesi

The only bad episode was the Colombus Day episode (Christopher) in season 4. Actually the one where Tony suddenly has a gambling addiction (Chasing It) in the last season wasn’t great either. But other than that, it’s all top notch. Top 5 episodes (I won’t describe as there are newcomers on this thread):

5. Whoever Did This (season 4)
4. College (season 1)
3. I Dream of Jeannie Cusanano (season 1)
2. Pine Barrens (season 3)
1. Long Term Parking (season 5)

Best music moment: Tiny Tears by Tindersticks during Isabella (season 1)

Moment that never fails to choke me up: Where’s Johnny (season 5) - Tony to Uncle Junior: “don’t you love me?”

James Gandolfini is a force of nature throughout - best acting I’ve ever seen.
You’re not gonna believe this.. he killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Furio: "You got a bee on your hat" is up there with my favourite lines in the show.

freeurmind

weak willed
Just starting this and I'm confused so far. Into the second episode and this seems more like a family show about a man dealing with his ageing mother and mid-lie crisis rather than a crime drama.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just starting this and I'm confused so far. Into the second episode and this seems more like a family show about a man dealing with his ageing mother and mid-lie crisis rather than a crime drama.
It’s about how he balances both lives and its affect on his mental health. It’s not strictly a mafia show.

freeurmind

weak willed
At the season 1 finale now, must admit I've enjoyed it so far. Tony's mother is a piece of work.

freeurmind

weak willed
Just got to the end of Season 2. Really great show. The scene where Janice gets punched in the face was incredible.