The Walking Dead Game

MoneyMay

Finished Season One. Wow, what a great game. Episode 3 was the weakest, but overall it's a great game. This is infinitely better than the TV series.

I liked the ending. I loved Lee, and didn't want to see him go, but he had to leave us. The transition was well played and he served his purpose: he more or less trained Clementine and helped her see the bigger picture. Looking forward to Season Two

Last edited by a moderator:

Revan

Assumptionman
Yay or Nay?

With finally being near the finish of Planescape Torment, time for another game. I heard good words about it and was planning to get season 1 (although strange enough, the price is still high even after more than a year) and to play it. Better than the TV show? Worthy of money?

Season 2 can wait until after it is entirely finished.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Worth every penny, it's one of the best games (i use that term loosely as it is more of a movie you play/storytelling game) i've played in the last few years. It's rare nowadays that a game actually makes me care genuinely about the characters but Telltale managed to do so easily. I was a rollercoaster of emotions by the end of it. When you think things are looking up and you have a smile on your face something happens which turns that into a sad puppy face. It feels longer than it actually is too because it's so well done.

Revan

Assumptionman
Worth every penny, it's one of the best games (i use that term loosely as it is more of a movie you play/storytelling game) i've played in the last few years. It's rare nowadays that a game actually makes me care genuinely about the characters but Telltale managed to do so easily. I was a rollercoaster of emotions by the end of it. When you think things are looking up and you have a smile on your face something happens which turns that into a sad puppy face. It feels longer than it actually is too because it's so well done.
Thanks SW. How hours of gameplay does it have (together with the DLC)?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thanks SW. How hours of gameplay does it have (together with the DLC)?
I have 15 hours, without the DLC though which i will probably end up getting.

Each episode is around 2-3 hours if i remember correctly.

Bebe

Yay or Nay?

With finally being near the finish of Planescape Torment, time for another game. I heard good words about it and was planning to get season 1 (although strange enough, the price is still high even after more than a year) and to play it. Better than the TV show? Worthy of money?

Season 2 can wait until after it is entirely finished.
It's fantastic. Probably my favourite game I played in 2013. Only thing to be aware of is that it's barely a game, more a story that you direct. Lots of decisions to make but no twitch or skill gameplay. So if you're in the mood for something challenging, this is not the game you are looking for.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, I just finished Episode 1.

The gameplay is really frustrating. There isn't much gameplay but still, it is difficult even walking in this game. It is really one of the games with worse game mechanics I have ever played.

But that isn't important. The story for these kind of games is all that matters. And it is great. I am not only playing but also feeling the story and it was amazing. Clementine is a fantastic companion.

Episode 2 hopefully tomorrow.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished Episode 2.

It wasn't as amazing as the first one but still it was great and there were some tough choices to make. Tomorrow the third one.

Revan

Assumptionman
Carley :( I officially hate Lilly. And Ben. Everything went to shit.

Ainu

Carley :( I officially hate Lilly. And Ben. Everything went to shit.
The developers put themselves in a situation where this had to happen. In the first episode you had to choose between Carley and that other one (completely forgot him, can't imagine anyone chose him). Which meant they had to either limit the survivor's importance or eliminate him/her sooner or later anyway. The Walking Dead generally handles the illusion of meaningful choices well, but you just know it's never more than an illusion in video games. So I wasn't surprised.

Revan

Assumptionman
feck sake, I cried like a baby. Likely the best (and the most emotional) ending I have ever seen in a game. It has surprassed even BioShock Infinite IMO.

I had my suspicions that it was always going to happen from the third episode when I started training her on how to use weapons but still, it was such a touching scene. Fantastic game with a fantastic ending.

Gonna play now 400 Days (or maybe not now, it looks that it has entirely different characters so I am not interested at the moment on it) and then wait until the second season is finished before I start playing it.

Main decisions during the game:

- Tried to save Hershel's son
- Chose to save Carley
- Tried to stop Larry killing Lilly's dad
- Didn't shoot neither of cannibal brothers (bad for them)
- Helped the crew to get the supply from the car
- Left Lilly behind
- Shoot Duck
- Saved the stupid Ben
- Took Clementine with me on that dangerous mission (on return she saved Molly)
- Christa chopped my hand
- Attacked the retarded person with my hidden weapon
- Clementine shoot me (possibly the most emotional scene in any video game)

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just finished Episode 2.

It wasn't as amazing as the first one but still it was great and there were some tough choices to make. Tomorrow the third one.
I thought you were talking about Season 2 episode 2, you had me searching all over the net like an idiot.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
feck sake, I cried like a baby. Likely the best (and the most emotional) ending I have ever seen in a game. It has surprassed even BioShock Infinite IMO.

I had my suspicions that it was always going to happen from the third episode when I started training her on how to use weapons but still, it was such a touching scene. Fantastic game with a fantastic ending.

Gonna play now 400 Days (or maybe not now, it looks that it has entirely different characters so I am not interested at the moment on it) and then wait until the second season is finished before I start playing it.

- Chose to save Carley
- Left Lilly behind
- Shoot Duck
- Saved the stupid Ben
Told you!

Yeah, that last scene really got me, but from Ep 5 Ch 4 to the end of the game was really emotional. I've only really felt as emotional when playing FF games (Honourable mentions to 7, 8, 10 for the tear-jerking moments). The Mass Effect games were emotional in a different sense (The music was brilliant in contrast to the story and game-play, you really felt like you were Shepherd IMO).

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Told you!

Yeah, that last scene really got me, but from Ep 5 Ch 4 to the end of the game was really emotional. I've only really felt as emotional when playing FF games (Honourable mentions to 7, 8, 10 for the tear-jerking moments). The Mass Effect games were emotional in a different sense (The music was brilliant in contrast to the story and game-play, you really felt like you were Shepherd IMO).
Mass Effect 1 gave me a real shock when I had to choose to kill Ashley or Kaiden (back then I didn't know who to pick and ultimately chose kaiden, dick move...) now I would choose Ashley everytime. She was the worst by far, always complaining about aliens and being a bitch, while the alien characters were ten times the person she could ever be. I found it strange when I played ME2 her obituary was saying she loved everyone, I don't know what I did but I must have changed her :lol:

The Walking Dead was more emotional, but that was when I became aware of the illusion of choice. I really didn't like how they said you will make the plot what you want it to be when you can't at all. I see that as lying to the consumer. But damn that ending was so heartbreaking. Clementine is probably the most amazing child character in any video game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Told you!

Ye. The closest I can thing of is the Elizabeth moment on BioShock Infinite but I think that this was even more emotional. Mass Effect was very story oriented and had it moments but still this was better. Same about FF games. 7 had the Aerith moment which has shocked practically everyone but I think that this was even better.

@The Mitcher, Ashley was cool. In the third game she was really great, in the first one not that much but still miles better than Kaidan.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Ye. The closest I can thing of is the Elizabeth moment on BioShock Infinite but I think that this was even more emotional. Mass Effect was very story oriented and had it moments but still this was better. Same about FF games. 7 had the Aerith moment which has shocked practically everyone but I think that this was even better.

@The Mitcher, Ashley was cool. In the third game she was really great, in the first one not that much but still miles better than Kaidan.
Nah she wasn't that good at all. Elizabeth was handled badly in the DLC imo. It was a very poor femme fatale I thought. That ending sucked too, I could kinda see it coming.

I really wish they put that comstock shite to bed, the DLC basically ended up being a different and much shorter version of the main game.[SPOILER/]

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I think I'm the only person who didn't complete this and found it dull.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah she wasn't that good at all. Elizabeth was handled badly in the DLC imo. It was a very poor femme fatale I thought. That ending sucked too, I could kinda see it coming.

I really wish they put that comstock shite to bed, the DLC basically ended up being a different and much shorter version of the main game.[SPOILER/]
Haven't played the DLC. Usually they do a good job to feck games and just milk the players. On the main game she was both brilliant and then the ending which is one of the greatest ever. Clementine surprassed her though (IMO).

Bebe

- Chose to save Carley
- Left Lilly behind
- Shoot Duck
- Saved the stupid Ben
I can't believe you
Took the supplies from the car. You horrible bastard

The ending is certainly the closest I've come to crying in a video game. Didn't quite draw actual tears, but I sat there quivering for a good few minutes.

400 Days isn't bad and will apparently have some ramifications for the second season. But I get where you're coming from, the enjoyment of this game comes solely from the characters. Since we don't know anything about the 400 Days characters it's a bit forgettable right now.

Revan

Assumptionman
I can't believe you
Took the supplies from the car. You horrible bastard
I tried to play as I would have done in real life. Okay, stealing is bad and I am not a thief. However imagine the situation when you haven't eat on days, people are weak and you also have hungry children with you. In that desperate time you find some supplies with no person on sight. I think that all people would have done that. Likely if you don't get those supplies you will die (or at-least Clementine who was only 8 years old would have died). Not a good thing to do, but it was a way to survive.

Bebe

I tried to play as I would have done in real life. Okay, stealing is bad and I am not a thief. However imagine the situation when you haven't eat on days, people are weak and you also have hungry children with you. In that desperate time you find some supplies with no person on sight. I think that all people would have done that. Likely if you don't get those supplies you will die (or at-least Clementine who was only 8 years old would have died). Not a good thing to do, but it was a way to survive.
I tried to play the whole game as I would have done in real life, which probably led to being more merciful than was smart overall. Honestly the reason I left the car alone was because of Clementine's objections. I had no issues with it at all (in fact I thought it was downright stupid not to), but Clementine objected and I wanted her to keep some semblance of morality. So I left it reluctantly.

Revan

Assumptionman
I tried to play the whole game as I would have done in real life, which probably led to being more merciful than was smart overall. Honestly the reason I left the car alone was because of Clementine's objections. I had no issues with it at all (in fact I thought it was downright stupid not to), but Clementine objected and I wanted her to keep some semblance of morality. So I left it reluctantly.
Well, I also tried to make Clementine happy during the game but that was an extraordinary circumstance when I went totally against her opinion. In some way you have responsibility for her (to keep her alive) and she was still just a chield who doesn't always make the right decisions. Despite her good intentions (and possibly being morally right) not getting those supplies would have mean (in most cases) a death for the entire group. It may look selfish (and it is) to indirectly kill another family in order to survive myself and my group but it was a desperate move for survival. Add to that, you don't know if really are any people there. For all we knew, the owners of those supplies could have been already dead or turned to zombies.

What happened in the game if you don't get them? I guess the other party members will get them and you'll get negative points on them.

Ainu

Anyone played the latest episode? I just finished it, possibly the best one yet. I felt I did a piss poor job though, I'll need a few replays to see what I can change.

Clementine just gets better and better as protagonist, but one issue I have with this is it seems a little silly how much responsibility she's given at times. It makes it more interesting for the player, but seems a little forced and unrealistic given the situation. I guess we'll just have to try and look past that.

Last edited:

Bebe

Anyone played the latest episode? I just finished it, possibly the best one yet. I felt I did a piss poor job though, I'll need a few replays to see what I can change.

Clementine just gets better and better as protagonist, but one issue I have with this is it seems a little silly how much responsibility she's given at times. It makes it more interesting for the player, but seems a little forced and unrealistic given the situation. I guess we'll just have to try and look past that.
Finished it the other night, was very good. I sort of agree with the Clementine's responsibility thing, especially where they ask her to fix the windmill. But its not a big deal.

Who died at the end for you? I only lost Walter, I've heard of people losing Alvin and Nick as well.

Ainu

I lost Walter and Alvin, Nick lives on. Good to know I could've done worse. :lol: I guess Walter is unavoidable. I felt a little annoyed I wasn't given the option of warning everyone that people would be coming earlier, and when I finally said something about it, they were like "Doesn't matter, you're safe now". Guess not!

Minkaro

Played through the latest episode on Saturday. Anyone else reminded of The Governor by the new villain?

Well, the whole "charismatic leader of a community" thing rings a few bells, anyway

Also (big spoiler inside this next one)

Kenny!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Episode One is free on Android Google Play Store!!!

Ainu

Episode 3 is out on Steam today!

Edit: Just finished it. The same issues I had with the previous episodes are still there and probably as bad as ever, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable or involving. Forget a mid-season lull, this episode is intense!

Did you watch? You know what scene I'm talking about if you finished the episode. I certainly did! Worth every second of it.

Last edited:

MoneyMay

This song was a fitting end to Episode 2.

What I have enjoyed is thinking what would Lee think of the decisions I, as Clementine, have made. Would he think I have been responsible? Would he think the decisions were relevant and applicable to the context of the situation? Would he be disappointed? I found Clementine to be annoying at the start, but she's turned out to be a great fictional character. IMO the developers have done a great job in emphasising the weaknesses of the adults. It helps illuminate and accentuate Clementine's mental and physical strength, and shows just how much she's developed as a character. It's an excellent contrast.

Cina

Episode Three was great. Brutal final scenes too. I still think TWAU is better though.

Ainu

Episode Three was great. Brutal final scenes too. I still think TWAU is better though.
I'd say it has more potential, but so far The Walking Dead is still better for me. I still feel like TWAU hasn't really taken off yet.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Gah, I finished the first season the other week and didn't realise season two wasn't fully out yet. This is going to be a tough wait.

Minkaro

I chose to have Clem leave with the rest of them, mainly because I thought Kenny might hold back slightly if he knew Clem was there, and I thought Carver deserved everything Kenny could possibly throw at him.

Then I watched the "stay" option on Youtube, and...well...if that's Kenny holding back...