Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb8521

He is a footballer, not everyone has to be defined by a single role. He regularly plays in midfield for the youth and u21 side and has been impressive there and it also frees him up to get around the pitch so it is understandable why many see his future in midfield. There is also more of a spot in midfield for him with Smalling and Blind already being good and Tuanzebe and Williams being equally talented CB prospects, imo Williams is even better.
I agree with this, I think Williams and Tuanzebe are both more natural as cbs and understand things like positioning better whereas Fosu Mensah follows the ball or the player he's marking a bit too much but usually gets away with it because his recovery pace is exceptional. I prefer him in midfield because it allows him to get more involved in the game and makes use of his engine and his ability to drive forward with the ball. Its amazing to have 3 defensive prospects as good as Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe and Williams all coming through at the same time and all 3 of them physical beasts for their age and lightning quick and I'd be disappointed if at least 2 of them don't make it here long time

SteveW

You're just vastly underrating his current ability on the ball. He doesn't need to completely change his game to be a CM.

I've seen him play as a No.10 for the U21's.
To be a decent enough CM, probably not.

SteveW

For what it's worth it would be great if he turned out to be as good in midfield as you all are saying. I don't quite see it myself but would be happy to be proven wrong. Really looking forward to watching this kid develop as a player.

At 18 he already looks like an absolute beast even in comparison to PL players. He's strong as an ox and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the fastest player at the club.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is a monster, imperious performance from him. Not a coincidence that we fell apart as soon as he went off. Some of his tackles in the middle and on the left side of the pitch :drool: Probably would be better as a defensive midfielder in the long run, he needs to be in the middle of the game as much as possible

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What are you on about? I've posted in many of the reserve threads and in plenty of the young player threads.

Either way I don't see the relevance. I've been a consistent watcher of the youth teams and reserves for over a decade. It's an idiotic way for you to try and make a point.

Instead of talking about my posting habits why don't you explain what you see in TFM's game that makes you think he should be a midfielder for Manchester United.
I'm sorry, I was being a dick.

I think he'll do well in any position but I think Williams is better and should be brought through along with Tuanzebe which crowds the CBs so that is one reason I'd like to see him in midfield. As jb says I don't think his positioning is as good as the two others and one of his best attributes is his ability to drive with the ball, playing at CB would completely limit that from his game. As can be seen from today's game he has a tendency to follow the play a bit and likes to throw himself in to challenges which you will be punished for at CB and is better suited to midfield. His physicality and engine would also solve a problem we've long had in midfield.

There is play in here which shows why he would offer another dimension further up the field and is capable of some exceptional passes.

Red_toad

Very suspect with his defensive positioning. Offered a threat going forward & got stuck in all over the pitch.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's a very different type of player to Pogba. Weird comparison :nervous:
Weird how? I've watched them both play. They have similar attributes. Both physically impressive and powerful, both technically adept, both skillful/great on the ball and both have the ability to carry the ball and run down channels for days, both have great vision and an eye for a pass to bring others into play, etc. How is it a weird comparison? If anything the only thing that sets them apart IMO is that Pogba had goals in him. Mensah hasn't shown much of that because he's obviously been groomed for more defensive roles, but he might have that ability as well. The comparison is far from weird. Now tell me how Mensah is not suited for midfield, i'm curious as to why you think he isn't.

m1y2

Very suspect with his defensive positioning. Offered a threat going forward & got stuck in all over the pitch.
Think he was very good, maybe once got carried away too much and left a blank space in defense but if you dont commit yourself you might not create anything. I was very pleased with how aggressive he was in the tackle and how far he steps out when he press, He's very quick so he can cover the ground back quickly

Dobbs

Weird how? I've watched them both play. They have similar attributes. Both physically impressive and powerful, both technically adept, both skillful/great on the ball and both have the ability to carry the ball and run down channels for days, both have great vision and an eye for a pass to bring others into play, etc. How is is a weird comparison? If anything the only thing that sets them apart IMO is that Pogba had goals in him. Mensah hasn't shown much of that because he's obviously been groomed for more defensive roles, but he does have a rocket of a shot. I have watched both players. The comparison is far from weird. Now tell me how Mensah is not suited for midfield, i'm curious as to why you think he isn't.
Agree with the other poster, I don't see the comparison.

The two players have different mindsets to me, a different ethos. TFM is a destroyer first and foremost, Pogba a forward thinking player. For instance could you see Pogba playing CB?

Jonno

Weird how? I've watched them both play. They have similar attributes. Both physically impressive and powerful, both technically adept, both skillful/great on the ball and both have the ability to carry the ball and run down channels for days, both have great vision and an eye for a pass to bring others into play, etc. How is it a weird comparison? If anything the only thing that sets them apart IMO is that Pogba had goals in him. Mensah hasn't shown much of that because he's obviously been groomed for more defensive roles, but he might have that ability as well. The comparison is far from weird. Now tell me how Mensah is not suited for midfield, i'm curious as to why you think he isn't.
I get what you're saying, I've seen Pogba play in reserve games and at Old Trafford and at that young age he was very similar in terms of height, power, determination.

But I'd say it's like comparing Roy Keane and Nemanja Vidic - similar attributes but different positions

Loublaze

ATLien
Agree with the other poster, I don't see the comparison.

The two players have different mindsets to me, a different ethos. TFM is a destroyer first and foremost, Pogba a forward thinking player. For instance could you see Pogba playing CB?
I get what you're saying, I've seen Pogba play in reserve games and at Old Trafford and at that young age he was very similar in terms of height, power, determination.

But I'd say it's like comparing Roy Keane and Nemanja Vidic - similar attributes but different positions
The thing is I see Mensah's future as a box to box midfielder and nothing else. This defending jack of all trades is just a development phase for him IMO. Time will tell.

SteveW

I'm sorry, I was being a dick.

I think he'll do well in any position but I think Williams is better and should be brought through along with Tuanzebe which crowds the CBs so that is one reason I'd like to see him in midfield. As jb says I don't think his positioning is as good as the two others and one of his best attributes is his ability to drive with the ball, playing at CB would completely limit that from his game. As can be seen from today's game he has a tendency to follow the play a bit and likes to throw himself in to challenges which you will be punished for at CB and is better suited to midfield. His physicality and engine would also solve a problem we've long had in midfield.

There is play in here which shows why he would offer another dimension further up the field and is capable of some exceptional passes.
I was a bit as well to be fair. :lol:

I'm not saying for a second he can't play football. He clearly can. I guess the difference of opinion we have centres around the attributes you need to play CM. Whilst useful, I've never really seen speed and physicality as attributes that are best utilised in central midfield. At high levels the game tends to be more congested and it's much more about intelligence, vision, range of passing and being really comfortable in tight spaces. How many players with TFM's pace do you ever really see playing in central midfield. How often do you see the game open up enough for a CM to really open up his legs and use real pace? Not that much, especially at the highest levels. You rarely see top midfielders sprinting around. The room isn't there. That's different to U21 and U18 where the games are slower, more open and he can just run past people. It doesn't really translate to first team football.

I'm not saying his pace and energy wouldn't be useful. Kante at Leicester is a perfect example of how it can but we don't really play the way Leicester do. We tend to play against teams that sit back and make it difficult for us to break them down. While a decent passer I don't see TFM as the player to that much damage against these types of team from central positions. I think he'd be wasted there.

I'd like to see him at CB. Under SAF we used to throw everyone forward because we knew we had a couple of quick CBs to defend against counter attacks. With TFM and Smalling in our defence I think we would have that. His quality on the ball would mean he'd also be able to step out of defence with the ball and use it well which is important.

You obviously really like him. I'm sure you're right. If he wasn't groomed for a defensive role he may well smashing in volleys from 30 yards out every second week like Pogba. :rolleyes:

All joking aside, to say TFM's ability with the ball is anything like Pogba's is a huge reach. It's not close. In the same way that Pogba has nowhere near the type of pace and ball winning ability TFM has. Different players with different attributes. It happens.

I've never said he's not suited to midfield. I've simply said I think he's much better suited to defense. For the reasons described above.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Imperative performance. Him subbing for darmian 100% cost us the game and 4th place

In Rainbows

Pogba had way better technique, vision, passing, and shooting ability. On the other hand, tfm has much better tackling ability, and is more physically dominant. Basically one is an offensive weapon and the other is a defensive weapon.

I can see tfm as a box to box, purely because he also has the ability to drive with the ball. Apart from that I'm not impressed by his midfield ability if we're purely looking at him from a midfield perspective. I'm impressed by his passing, technique, etc... from a defender's perspective. In that sense his ability won't seem out of place in midfield where as phil jones did. So I see him as a dm or cb.

Last edited:

JackXX

Was the only positive thing today. I'd love to see him in midfield.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Was superb today!
Dont get it why are people questioning his positioning today, i mean i get it but i dont agree with it. His positioning was great today, saved ur asses twice with goal saving tackles/blocks and if he stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes im pretty sure we would end the day with at least one point in the bag. He left the pitch and we conceded 3 goals from that side.
Back on positioning, yes he was staying pretty narrow but thats because Spurs play with Eriksen on the left who constantly drifts inside so he needs to be narrow as our whole team moves in this situations so we can limit the space for Eriksen, Alli and other players in the pocket. Danny Rose while he maybe is their most offensive outlet on the left, he isnt TFM main responsibility - its Mata who needs to mark his man in this situations and he did well today in that aspect.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
From ESPN FC, for what it's worth, an "elite performance" and a 9 rating...

DF Timothy Fosu-Mensah, 9 -- He was excellent against the best attack in the Premier League, and it was no coincidence that his withdrawal due to an apparent injury was followed by three quick Tottenham goals. At the age of just 18 he looked far superior to Matteo Darmian, the Italy international who replaced him. Fosu-Mensah made two excellent goal-line interventions, got forward well and was even covering at left-back on one occasion. An elite performance.

WhoDaGOAT

Incredible athlete. He's built for the league in its current state. I think he should continue at full-back for the foreseeable future. His athleticism and powerful running are such an asset from a wide position. I know he'll likely move inside long term, but I was always confident that he could do a real job at full-back for us. You could see evidence of it at U21 level. That time he overlapped with Depay to score summed up his potential.

Two very impressive performances in a row. An assist one week and MotM the next. Shaw and Fosu-Mensah could help transform our wide play next season.

Fer

I prefer him more central. Do you think he has a good passing ability to play as CDM? or his future lies as CB?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Incredible athlete. He's built for the league in its current state. I think he should continue at full-back for the foreseeable future. His athleticism and powerful running are such an asset from a wide position. I know he'll likely move inside long term, but I was always confident that he could do a real job at full-back for us. You could see evidence of it at U21 level. That time he overlapped with Depay to score summed up his potential.

Two very impressive performances in a row. An assist one week and MotM the next. Shaw and Fosu-Mensah could help transform our wide play next season.
Excellent game looks a real find although goes to ground a bit to much so needs to learn that side better. But looks a real gem.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Thought he was brilliant. Such a shame he picked up that knock, any idea as to the severity?

ZupZup

Would love to see him played in a similar role to what Kante does at Leicester as he's quick, decent at dribbling and a brilliant ball winner... this lad has a very bright future.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only positive about yesterday was him showing he's got what it takes against the best in the league. Showed no nerves and had an all round good game.

Only thing was his positioning a few times was a little wrong, tucked in a bit too much at times which let lamela nearly score. He's definitely got a bright future.

Silverman

This guy should be given an important role next season. Not rely on him but he could be a future star for United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would like to see a full back partnership of him and CBJ. They both look soo comfortable in those positions.
Next season Id like to see how he could do in a 3 man midfield as the box to box role with maybe the likes of Schneiderlin and Carrick behind, or Herrera instead of Carrick.

I'm still hoping that Shaw will be one of the fullbacks next year. Can CBJ play right side?

mancan92

Next season Id like to see how he could do in a 3 man midfield as the box to box role with maybe the likes of Schneiderlin and Carrick behind, or Herrera instead of Carrick.

I'm still hoping that Shaw will be one of the fullbacks next year. Can CBJ play right side?
I guess he could but it doesn't really make sense considering he is a very left sided player. I like Shaw alot but like Jones it just seems to be a constant battle with injuries unfortunately. I just don't see it going in the long run. Although obviously hope I'm wrong.

LouisDanGaal

I guess he could but it doesn't really make sense considering he is a very left sided player. I like Shaw alot but like Jones it just seems to be a constant battle with injuries unfortunately. I just don't see it going in the long run. Although obviously hope I'm wrong.
I think with the way football has developed its surprising opposite footed full backs aren't more common. Inverted wingers are now the norm, so cutting in is more usual than the cross, for instance if eriksen is coming down our right side he is trying to get inside to get a shot off rather than taking it to the by line for a cross, I think it makes sense to have a left footed player at right back so he can tackle with his strongest foot, obviously there would be no advantage against conventional wingers but its easier to throw out a weaker foot to stop out a cross than use it for a well timed tackle when a player is trying to come on the inside.

mancan92

It's all to do with the defensive side of the game. It's much harder to your stronger foot in for a tackle off the opposite side. Football is such an instinctual sport that your first reaction is your stronger foot and it takes a second before you realise you should go with the other one,by then the other player is away from you. It just doesn't have any advantage.

itso 7

Would love to see him played in a similar role to what Kante does at Leicester as he's quick, decent at dribbling and a brilliant ball winner... this lad has a very bright future.
Same here, I think his physical attributes will benefit the team most centrally where physical domination can affect the course of the match more significantly. Having such a dominant player can allow us to field a player like Kroos and thus aid the team going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.