Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris

Was a little worried at one point when he landed awkwardly and was moving gingerly for a while, but then he went and made an excellent interception after that. Love this guy. Still a CB though for me. Him and Smalling could be a scary partnership that will last a long while.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He doesn't look like a RB/LB but he is an absolute beast

tom33

My man of the match. He maybe dives into challenges a little to readily, but otherwise he just looks an incredibly mature and well-rounded player for such a young age. I really hope he continues to get opportunities, because to me he looks like he could become one of the best defenders/defensive players in the world if he fulfills his potential.

Sigma

He's got potential, but I think he's being a bit overrated at the moment. He's positionally suspect quite a few times. But he has all the abilities to become a top CM/CB and I really hope he fulfills his potential.

Norris

He's got potential, but I think he's being a bit overrated at the moment. He's positionally suspect quite a few times. But he has all the abilities to become a top CM/CB and I really hope he fulfills his potential.
Erm, given that he is naturally a CB, who has played for the U21s at CM, you would think he will be positionally suspect as a full back. The fact he made interceptions from the middle of the ground is probably the best indicator that he's yet to fully understand the role. But I don't think he's being overrated. He has a very high ceiling, but more importantly, he has the right attitude and mentality.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd love to see him in CM. Think he'd be pretty good in that role.

Norris

I'd love to see him in CM. Think he'd be pretty good in that role.
Depends on what role he is given though. Coz his passing is not great and needs working. And in the 4-2-3-1 we play, we don't really have a CDM ala The Makelele role.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depends on what role he is given though. Coz his passing is not great and needs working. And in the 4-2-3-1 we play, we don't really have a CDM ala The Makelele role.
And Makelele could pass the ball, he started as a winger for Nantes.

Norris

And Makelele could pass the ball, he started as a winger for Nantes.
Yeah, but I meant what the role personified. We don't really have a proper CDM in our system. Our ball winner is expected to create chances as well.

Devil may care

Another strong performance, especially in the 2nd half, his mentality is as impressive as his physical attributes.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, but I meant what the role personified. We don't really have a proper CDM in our system. Our ball winner is expected to create chances as well.
You need to be a good and accurate passer to play that role at a high level, you need to be a confident passer even when you are a water carrier. Now I don't think that Fosu Mensah has a particularly deficiency, the game is just a little bit too fast for him at the moment.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
looks a real prospect. For sheer power and physique from a young age, reminds me a bit of Micah Richards.

Hopefully he keeps developing and progressing better than Richards did.

Norris

You need to be a good and accurate passer to play that role at the high level you need to be a confident passer even when you are a water carrier. Now I don't think that Fosu Mensah has a particularly deficiency, the game is just a little bit too fast for him at the moment.
No, I disagree. He's more than easily adapted to more strenous facets of the game. How can he struggle in this ? I wouldn't actually say he struggles. just feel that he's usually not very aware of his teammates positions or the runs players make. There was this one moment in the second half where he was a little tight to the CB and Carrick was wide of him, deep in our own half. With Carrick being closed down, TFM unknowingly moved into a position that made Carrick's pass back to him much more safer and efective. I use the word unknowingly, coz up until that point, TFM was was just strolling looking around at options to whom Carrick could pass it too.
Even from the few games I remember seeing him in U21s, his passing was a little inconsistent. But he can work on those things. The awareness will naturally come with more experience and game time. But I hope they develop him into one role though. I hate the idea of him becoming yet another Versatile player in our midst.

m1y2

Thought there were a couple of interceptions in the middle that showed what he can bring centrally.

Find it funny that despite clearly being in pain he still physically smashes everyone.
yeah clearly he's box to box player, capable to smash anyone from the ball in the middle and bring the ball forward, the reading of the game looked much better in the second half, was in beast mode how rio would say..

Walters_19_MuFc

Was very good again today, especially when you bare in mind he was up against arguably the player of the season in Payet. I would still prefer him at centre back, though. Today, again, he found himself very central, at times, and West Ham got down the sides very easily. He's still learning, though, and is definitely one for the future.

JPRouve

Scout
No, I disagree. He's more than easily adapted to more strenous facets of the game. How can he struggle in this ? I wouldn't actually say he struggles. just feel that he's usually not very aware of his teammates positions or the runs players make. There was this one moment in the second half where he was a little tight to the CB and Carrick was wide of him, deep in our own half. With Carrick being closed down, TFM unknowingly moved into a position that made Carrick's pass back to him much more safer and efective. I use the word unknowingly, coz up until that point, TFM was was just strolling looking around at options to whom Carrick could pass it too.
Even from the few games I remember seeing him in U21s, his passing was a little inconsistent. But he can work on those things. The awareness will naturally come with more experience and game time. But I hope they develop him into one role though. I hate the idea of him becoming yet another Versatile player in our midst.
I'm talking about his mental clock when he is on the ball, I think that his problems of inconsistency are due to timing issues more than anything else. With experience the game is going to slow down in his head.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looks a huge prospect for sure. Sometimes dives in to tackles so needs to learn in that respect, but he looks good on the ball along with being a tank physically. Not sure if his passing is good enough to play as a center mid, but he seems like a future center back IMO. You need those who are pretty comfortable on the ball at the back too.

Sigma

Erm, given that he is naturally a CB, who has played for the U21s at CM, you would think he will be positionally suspect as a full back. The fact he made interceptions from the middle of the ground is probably the best indicator that he's yet to fully understand the role. But I don't think he's being overrated. He has a very high ceiling, but more importantly, he has the right attitude and mentality.
His best position is not a full back, I know, but the majority of people - such as me - are judging him on the games he has played for the first team, of which the majority of those have been at full back, where, he is being overrated.

m1y2

he doesn't pass the ball well so he can't play in the middle argument is a bit off, he might be a bit inconsistent passer but he pulled of some great passes from what we've seen during his time in United jersey, so he showed he's got vision which is important, Alex song didnt look like a good passer either but in his last season for arsenal played some wonderful passes from deep while being beast defensively, he can play there for that reason alone that he's got with his physicality and with his defensively attributes absolute top potential, and we are not even talking about that he is great driving with the ball forward which is another important asset which our midfielders lacked over years, the last one who could do that was Anderson..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He looks a huge prospect for sure. Sometimes dives in to tackles so needs to learn in that respect, but he looks good on the ball along with being a tank physically. Not sure if his passing is good enough to play as a center mid, but he seems like a future center back IMO. You need those who are pretty comfortable on the ball at the back too.
It's good to have some strength and power at full back. I know Mourinho likes that. Would mean less games thinking, Smalling/Fellaini, who else is dominant in the air.

Tonight, made me excited about the future again.

In Rainbows

is it me or does he not committ a lot of fouls? clean tackler of the ball
He is more like Phil Jones IMO only with more quality on the ball.
I think he's a better tackler too. It's not just based on style either. His tackling success at youth level is really impressive. If it was just based on style then he would pick up a lot of fouls only and that would stand out, however anyone that watches him can see he is gifted at tackling.

Norris

I'm talking about his mental clock when he is on the ball, I think that his problems of inconsistency are due to timing issues more than anything else. With experience the game is going to slow down in his head.
Yeah possibly. Still needs to be specialized into one role though.

His best position is not a full back, I know, but the majority of people - such as me - are judging him on the games he has played for the first team, of which the majority of those have been at full back, where, he is being overrated.
Aah, yeah then you are right. But most of our full backs have been woeful anyways. Even Borthwick-Jackson has been positionally very suspect and been beaten a few times in 1 v 1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.