Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Think he was very good, maybe once got carried away too much and left a blank space in defense but if you dont commit yourself you might not create anything. I was very pleased with how aggressive he was in the tackle and how far he steps out when he press, He's very quick so he can cover the ground back quickly
I take you missed all the bits where Mata was the only player in the right back area?

FromTheBench

I'd love to see him in a Box to box shuttler role in midfield next to a Carrick.

Not a LVG type of midfielder though. Think Maureen might like him there for Power (If we go that route.).

Positionally in defence he's still suspect but the potential is immense. Actually his performance at fullback was pretty akin to Jones when he first joined and we played him at RB. Similar type of player too (Though he's better on the ball.)

m1y2

I take you missed all the bits where Mata was the only player in the right back area?
in modern football it's normal to cover the space left vacant by the full back, as I said and as I recall there was only one time when it looked dangerous when Tim was too high up the pitch, also when you play double pivot with Schneiderlin and Carrick. Anyway I think it's clear to see that TFM would be more suited to a midfield role but I still found it a good performance, better than Darmian/Rojo for sure

Footyislife

A back three of Mensah, Smalling, and Jones could cover a lot of ground and give our offense a lot of freedom. If Jones every got healthy that is. If only LVG had a brain and could pick the best players in their correct positions so that his silly tactics could work.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Thats what is supposed to happen when a full back goes forward.
What Red toad says is quite interesting. Polish commentators during the match said, that our current formation that match looked like a 352 we played before with Mata and Rojo as wingbacks. I was wondering what the feck are they on but at times it looked like that, i.e. TFM came very close to the both centrehalves while Mata had to take care of a winger (not his fullback) on the wing. It's not like he was covering for TFM as he was there with our CBs.

I'd say we were 'very fluid' formationwise and it did us no good. I do believe though that it was some kind of an alteration/tactic implemented by LVG. Even when you look at the heat maps, you'll see what I'm talking about. Rojo is far ahead on the left whereas TFM is nearly in line with the other two CBs. Mata's a bit more inwards but I assume it's due to his natural inclination not to give width and license to drift to #10 sometimes.

Last edited:

sdb4884

So impressed with him so far, he hasn't put a foot wrong. Even though we've had many troubles this season we certainly have a very talented group of youngsters coming through.

Trizy

Would like to see a full back partnership of him and CBJ. They both look soo comfortable in those positions.
Shaw is better than CBJ, however CBJ is a LCB for the youths.

If they lived up to their potential we're set for 10 years with 3/4 back line.

dichinero

He is not a FB, do people want to kill his career before it's starts? When will people ever learn. Let a player play in his natural position!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is not a FB, do people want to kill his career before it's starts? When will people ever learn. Let a player play in his natural position!
Its LVGs fault. Most saying this probably don't know what his natural position is. LVG has come out and said hes a FB

SirAF

Ageist
Constant injuries Holting his development. I know the recent one was a freak accident but it just seems to keep happening
I don't think so. The first part, especially, of last season was riddled with niggles but towards the end of that season and the start of this one it settled down and he was better than ever. Then, of course, the horror tackle came.

mancan92

I don't think so. The first part, especially, of last season was riddled with niggles but towards the end of that season and the start of this one it settled down and he was better than ever. Then, of course, the horror tackle came.
We've seen it before is my point injury come back for a bit injury again. We'll see how it goes when he comes back but I wouldn't be surprised to see another injury after a couple months.

yamo123x

news of us signing him up on long term deal is good hope this is true. Versatile player, quick and strong. Reads the game well. Those who watch youth and reserve games will no doubt agree.

Of our current batch TFM pereira and Rothwell are all excellent and stand out.

Red_toad

Thats what is supposed to happen when a full back goes forward.
Personally think that Mata should never be playing anywhere near the right back area. Way too defensively weak & slow.
You didnt see any problem from that? I saw issues that you're overlooking.

LouisDanGaal

Up against payet today and carroll always puts himself up against the full backs for his headers by hanging out at the back stick as bellerin found out next week. He is potentially our most important player tonight if this is going to go well

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Cathy Ferguson

Strong as an ox, great physique. I don't think we'll need to sign a new RB this summer and I'm sure Tim is a typical Mourinho type of full back, he just needs a bit of positional coaching. We should concentrate our efforts on CB, RW, CM and a striker.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He isnt bad on the ball, but still very inconsistent with it. He is very good 1 vs 1, and in all battles, but he lacks the awareness, he doesnt always seem to see who's making a run around him. Imo those are the two biggest weaknesses that should be adresses in the coming years.

m1y2

of course, he looks suspicious with his positioning, it's relatively new position for him, he can work on it but his future is in midfield

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Great performance. Surely got a big future ahead of him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Another fantastic performance from him, his reading of the game is fecking amazing for such a young age.

Dobbs

Thought there were a couple of interceptions in the middle that showed what he can bring centrally.

Find it funny that despite clearly being in pain he still physically smashes everyone.

prath92

is it me or does he not committ a lot of fouls? clean tackler of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.