Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
No just someone who realizes footballers aren't imbeciles and can in fact play more than one position.
As appreciative of that as I am I do think sometimes it's better for the development of young players to focus on a specific role. I do think SAF pissing around with Jones and Smalling at RB and in Jones' case midfield did slow their development. Obviously that's not to say Mensah isn't capable of play two roles to a high standard but I am a little bit weary of shunting him around just to make him fit in the team. As good as Blind has been at times this season there's no denying Mensah should be a better fit at CB, especially against more physical and pacier sides.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No point in dilly-dallying in his positions during his development stage though. He should play in one position/area and stick to it, if we have injuries then his versatility can come into play, but how many world class players regularly change position?
He isn't a world class player though so it is irrelevant. Young players often play multiple positions and I'd agree with the likes of Warren Joyce who believe it helps in their development. TFM has no set position so there is no point restricting him to one role.

limerickcitykid

As appreciative of that as I am I do think sometimes it's better for the development of young players to focus on a specific role. I do think SAF pissing around with Jones and Smalling at RB and in Jones' case midfield did slow their development. Obviously that's not to say Mensah isn't capable of play two roles to a high standard but I am a little bit weary of shunting him around just to make him fit in the team. As good as Blind has been at times this season there's no denying Mensah should be a better fit at CB, especially against more physical and pacier sides.
And it can equally be argued that what actually slowed their development was being injured all the time and Smalling's time at RB has actually helped him become the CB that he is and what makes him so great at recovering and mopping up plays out wide.

I'd also rather he be getting the experience in any position than sitting on the bench because he is only allowed to play in one specific spot.

Sigma

He isn't a world class player though so it is irrelevant. Young players often play multiple positions and I'd agree with the likes of Warren Joyce who believe it helps in their development. TFM has no set position so there is no point restricting him to one role.
Not saying he is world class at the moment, but he has the potential to be world class. To be world class you need to know your position inside and out. How do you expect anyone to be world class, when they are constantly switching positions, look how that turned out for Jones.

Like I said, when we have injuries and at the moment, just to see him in the team I don't mind. But I don't want another Jones scenario, when he is constantly getting games in the team, I don't wanna see him in his best position.

SteveW

No just someone who realizes footballers aren't imbeciles and can in fact play more than one position.
He is perfectly suited to being a defender. We need defenders. You would rather play him somewhere where he won't be as good. It makes no sense. Throw him in beside Chris and we'll be sorted.

ArmchairCritic

And it can equally be argued that what actually slowed their development was being injured all the time and Smalling's time at RB has actually helped him become the CB that he is and what makes him so great at recovering and mopping up plays out wide.

I'd also rather he be getting the experience in any position than sitting on the bench because he is only allowed to play in one specific spot.
I don't think Smalling's time at RB helped at all, if anything of the very few things Van Gaal has done right it's developing Smalling and making him become a more decisive player. Of course Smalling not being injured all the time has helped. I agree just playing helps Mensah a lot now but there's definitely a decision that needs to be made soon-ish to ensure he utilises his talents as much as possible. Whether as a CB or CM they will be roles that require a lot of learning and we shouldn't waste time with him.

limerickcitykid

He is perfectly suited to being a defender. We need defenders. You would rather play him somewhere where he won't be as good. It makes no sense. Throw him in beside Chris and we'll be sorted.
He is perfectly suited to being a midfielder. We need midfielders. You have no idea whether he won't be as good in midfield. Throw him in midfield and we'll be sorted. See I can spout shite as well.

JoaquinJoaquin

Brilliant today. I hope his injury isn't a bad one. PLEASE give him a chance at DM though, I think he could be excellent in that position.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Who would've thought a 19 year old was holding our defense together.

SteveW

He is perfectly suited to being a midfielder. We need midfielders. You have no idea whether he won't be as good in midfield. Throw him in midfield and we'll be sorted. See I can spout shite as well.
He's isn't though. He might be decent as a destroyer but he doesn't really have the range of passing to be top class there.

Yes you most certainly can.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I agree. I think it also helped him become better on the ball, playing in those tight spaces and having to pick his passes quicker and under pressure. His RB performances were very up and down, but I imagine the experience helped in that respect. He always looked a great defender when he first joined, but early on he looked like he'd never been in possession of a football in his life. His passing still isn't brilliant, but it's infinitely better than it once was. His touch and dribbling is much better too.

I'd like to see TFM as a #6. From his performance today, he was great, but he is attracted to the ball and always wants to be where ever the ball is, which a centre back just can't do. A defensive, ball winning midfielder would have a bit more freedom to close down opponents and make tackles higher up the pitch or out wide whilst not leaving gaps in the back four.

limerickcitykid

Not saying he is world class at the moment, but he has the potential to be world class. To be world class you need to know your position inside and out. How do you expect anyone to be world class, when they are constantly switching positions, look how that turned out for Jones.

Like I said, when we have injuries and at the moment, just to see him in the team I don't mind. But I don't want another Jones scenario, when he is constantly getting games in the team, I don't wanna see him in his best position.
Or maybe Jones was just never that good and getting injured every second game has a negative impact. You can't just throw Jones out there and say any player who plays more than one position will not make it. I can equally list young players who only played one position and turned out shit. David ALaba playing LB, CB, and CM aren't stopping him from being world class. TFM is 18 and doesn't need to focus on one position, the experience of anywhere is more beneficial to him and will play a bigger part in him becoming a world class player than restricting him to only one position.

SteveW

Or maybe Jones was just never that good and getting injured every second game has a negative impact. You can't just throw Jones out there and say any player who plays more than one position will not make it. I can equally list young players who only played one position and turned out shit. David ALaba playing LB, CB, and CM aren't stopping him from being world class. TFM is 18 and doesn't need to focus on one position, the experience of anywhere is more beneficial to him and will play a bigger part in him becoming a world class player than restricting him to only one position.
I don't think anyone has a problem with him playing RB

ArmchairCritic

I agree. I think it also helped him become better on the ball, playing in those tight spaces and having to pick his passes quicker and under pressure. His RB performances were very up and down, but I imagine the experience helped in that respect. He always looked a great defender when he first joined, but early on he looked like he'd never been in possession of a football in his life. His passing still isn't brilliant, but it's infinitely better than it once was. His touch and dribbling is much better too.

I'd like to see him as a #6. From his performance today, he was great, but he is attracted to the ball and always wants to be where ever the ball is, which a centre back just can't do. A defensive, ball winning midfielder would have a bit more freedom to close down opponents and make tackles higher up the pitch or out wide whilst not leaving gaps in the back four.
He is only 18 and he seems very keen to impress, there was just something that screamed CB when he came across to block that Walker shot. IIRC he closed off the angle for the cross to Eriksen first and then when he realised Rojo was fecked he wasted no time coming across. It's that natural instinct for defending that's pretty much impossible to teach, he's positionally so raw but he clearly thrives on defending and that got him through the game today. Already in his short time he's made a heck of a lot of key saving challenges and I know it's early days but he just reminds me of Vidic a little bit in that he really looks like he loves to defend.

The issue seems to be more the team than Mensah, he could easily plug into 3 different positions with the way the rest of the team are playing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can certainly be pleased with his display. Just hope his full commitment style isn't too Phil Jones esque In terms of injuries!

SteveW

I've read your grand total of 1 post in the reserve forum. I'll admit it was absolute gold how you shared such knowledge without even posting a word. Please come by and share some more some time.
What are you on about? I've posted in many of the reserve threads and in plenty of the young player threads.

Either way I don't see the relevance. I've been a consistent watcher of the youth teams and reserves for over a decade. It's an idiotic way for you to try and make a point.

Instead of talking about my posting habits why don't you explain what you see in TFM's game that makes you think he should be a midfielder for Manchester United.

Dobbs

He's isn't though. He might be decent as a destroyer but he doesn't really have the range of passing to be top class there.

Yes you most certainly can.
How many times have you watched him?

He absolutely can pass the ball. Given he's not long been 18 it'd be amazing if he didn't improve in that area as well.

SteveW

How many times have you watched him?

He absolutely can pass the ball. Given he's not long been 18 it'd be amazing if he didn't improve in that area as well.
Not that much. Probably around 10-15 times. I know he can pass the ball. I just don't think he can pass it well enough to justify moving him out of defense. I think he'd probably make a decent midfielder but potentially a great defender.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's a complete footballer. He has all the physical attributes plus a footballing brain to match. He's also very skillful on the ball and can pick out a killer pass. He has everything in his locker that Pogba had the same age. For me it's a no brainer. He'll excel at CB but he'll be more useful as a box to box midfielder IMO

Dobbs

Not that much. Probably around 10-15 times. I know he can pass the ball. I just don't think he can pass it well enough to justify moving him out of defense. I think he'd probably make a decent midfielder but potentially a great defender.
Quite a definitive statement to make about a lad whose just turned 18.

It's not like he has to exponentially improve on the ball to make it here as a CM. He'll probably never be as good as Scholes on the ball but then Scholes couldn't run like him either.

SteveW

He's a complete footballer. He has all the physical attributes plus a footballing brain to match. He's also very skillful on the ball and can pick out a killer pass. He has everything in his locker that Pogba had the same age. For me it's a no brainer. He'll excel at CB but he'll be more useful as a box to box midfielder IMO
He's a very different type of player to Pogba. Weird comparison :nervous:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I've read your grand total of 1 post in the reserve forum. I'll admit it was absolute gold how you shared such knowledge without even posting a word. Please come by and share some more some time.
Search is fecked up btw,

SteveW

Quite a definitive statement to make about a lad whose just turned 18.

It's not like he has to exponentially improve on the ball to make it here as a CM. He'll probably never be as good as Scholes on the ball but then Scholes couldn't run like him either.
Obviously it's not a definitive statement. It's an opinion. It is possible to have an opinion on a young player. They don't usually completely change their games (barring the odd exception)

Dobbs

Obviously it's not a definitive statement. It's an opinion. It is possible to have an opinion on a young player. They don't usually completely change their games (barring the odd exception)
You're just vastly underrating his current ability on the ball. He doesn't need to completely change his game to be a CM.

I've seen him play as a No.10 for the U21's.

Status
Not open for further replies.