Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's clearly got no idea where he's supposed to be at full back. Time and time again Mata is having to cover the danger on the right.
Looks like he has been asked to follow Ericken

Sigma

Looks like he has been asked to follow Ericken
Was thinking this too, can be the only reason why he so central. But strange to put your right back man marking someone and its leaving Mata exposed at the moment.

JoaquinJoaquin

Excellent half so far, although he seems to of been told to stick on Erikson similar to what Varela was asked to do. Not sure the benefit of it, but hey Van Gaal logic

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Like a young Micah Richards
Hmm I can see the comparison but he's much more talented.

He looks the part and definitely looks like he could be a star just not sure what position he could play and I worry he might be one of those Luiz type footballers who is super talented but doesn't have a fixed position and is tactically reckless.

RORY65

If it's a tactical ploy then it's awful. It's leaving us ridiculously exposed and rendering Mata useless.
We did it with Varela on Coutinho and it was awful then. It's entirely possible that Fosu-Mensah is just unsure of his position, understandably given he's so young and it's not where he's used to playing, but Van Gaal has made a habit of sticking with shit ideas that don't work.

He looks a terrific prospect in fairness. As I say that he plays everyone onside.

acnumber9

We did it with Varela on Coutinho and it was awful then. It's entirely possible that Fosu-Mensah is just unsure of his position, understandably given he's so young and it's not where he's used to playing, but Van Gaal has made a habit of sticking with shit ideas that don't work.

He looks a terrific prospect in fairness. As I say that he plays everyone onside.
It's not his fault whether it's tactical or otherwise. He's not a full back. But it's a massive problem at the minute and the whole teams shape is suffering. Smalling and Blind seem to be following Kane and Lamela too so it's probably just Van Gaal being an idiot again.

RedTiger

Half mast
Been saying for ages he's gonna make the perfect Vida to Smallings Rio. Loves diving into a tackle, in a good way. Actually tidy enough on the ball too.

My only worry for him that his physical excellence, competent technique and versatility will see a Jones like situation occur where he's constantly moving from LB to CB to RB to DM.
I can see the Jones scenario as well

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it's tactical too. A stupid tactic, but when isn't a van Gaal tactic stupid?

Fer

He's clearly got no idea where he's supposed to be at full back. Time and time again Mata is having to cover the danger on the right.
I Agree. I prefer him more central. Also, Mata as right winger doesn't help. He should play as CB or CDM.

Devil may care

At first I thought he was just drifting out of his position but he's spent so much time central now surely one of the CB's would have told him to go back to the RB position if that was where he was meant to be. It looks like we are playing a back 3 with Mata as a wingback.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's probably saved us from conceding two goals.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think it's tactical too. A stupid tactic, but when isn't a van Gaal tactic stupid?
Maybe if we had Lingard playing that side it might work but you can't do it with Mata, he just doesn't have the physique for it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
What is his favorite position again?

I enjoy watching him but I don't want another Jones (very talented player but can't land a good solid position). In his case, he has the height to be CB I think. Still need to see more of him.

In Rainbows

What is his favorite position again?

I enjoy watching him but I don't want another Jones (very talented player but can't land a good solid position). In his case, he has the height to be CB I think. Still need to see more of him.
Cb or dm.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If it's a tactical ploy then it's awful. It's leaving us ridiculously exposed and rendering Mata useless.
:confused:

It's better to be outnumbered out wide than in midfield and it's thanks to TFM that we haven't been outnumbered in midfield. Given that's been Spurs' main strength this season and something they've been particularly effective at against the top teams, I'd say it's proving pretty successful personally. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's stupid.

They haven't had a shot on target and clearly haven't been able to play their normal game...

acnumber9

:confused:

It's better to be outnumbered out wide than in midfield and it's thanks to TFM that we haven't been outnumbered in midfield. Given that's been Spurs' main strength this season and something they've been particularly effective at against the top teams, I'd say it's proving pretty successful personally. Just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it's stupid.
It's led to Spurs best chance of the game. It's also led us being completely incapable of holding on the ball in the last 20 minutes of the half from the moment Spurs woke up. If he doesn't want to be outnumbered in midfield then okay an extra midfielder. Don't ask Mata to play as an auxiliary full back.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's led to Spurs best chance of the game. It's also led us being completely incapable of holding on the ball in the last 20 minutes of the half from the moment Spurs woke up. If he doesn't want to be outnumbered in midfield then okay an extra midfielder. Don't ask Mata to play as an auxiliary full back.
If we didn't play that way then us being outnumbered would be the source of their best chance of the game. The fact they have had 1 shot on target, and have only had one real chance, suggests the defensive strategy has worked well not vice-versa. Given their recent record in big games it's not surprising we're being cautious either

acnumber9

If we didn't play that way then us being outnumbered would be the source of their best chance of the game. The fact they have had 1 shot on target, and have only had one real chance, suggests the defensive strategy has worked well not vice-versa. Given their recent record in big games it's not surprising we're being cautious either
That's if you ignore the fact he could've picked three in central midfield and not completely nullified the right hand side of our attack while he was at it.

Nickosaur

He's not only quick and strong, but he's clearly got a lot of talent on the ball. When you consider his versatility too, he'll be a vital player for years to come.

edit - ah feck. The curse continues.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bah. Hopefully it isn't too long term, he does look a talent.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hopefully nothing serious. Superb game today, looks a talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.