Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spock

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to do an Iniesta under pressure but the past few games there's been times where he has been closed down slowly enough for him to properly pick out a pass but he lumps it.
I'll keep an eye on that.

MDFC Manager

Has been solid and hungry since making his way into the starting line up but surely some of the comments are a bit OTT? One problem I have with him is a lot of the time the ball is passed back to him in a pressured (slow pressure too) situation he just lumps the ball up the field aimlessly.
It's the Rio Ferdinand syndrome

itso 7

The main reason I want him to become a Defensive b2b is because of RoShaun Williams and Tuanzabe who will also be coming through in the next few years with Williams a nailed on first team star. It's very possible all 3 will go on to become excellent players at the club.
With all that talent coming through one can understand the apprehension some amongst us have with hiring Mourinho. Can he change tack this late in the game to give youth a chance and still be the winner we know him to be?

itso 7

Sometimes when you're under pressure you just have no choice but to clear the ball up the pitch.

But if you see him with no pressure whatsoever and he just decides to lump a ball aimlessly that's indeed a problem, but one that can be sorted out fairly easily.
He still eighteen, though, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he has a few areas that need to be perfected. He is good enough to contribute positively now and this is something we can not honestly say about more established first team stars like Rojo and Darmian.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Would love to see him as a B2B midfielder. The guy is built like a tank.
Or, as the Norwegian commentator (Wikestad) said, he's built like a refrigerator. :lol:

Dobbs

He's been a 16 year old adjusting to life in a new country at a new club.
No he's been doing this in the reserves all season. It's not like he's just suddenly improved or bulked up.

I know I and others have been asking why he hasn't got more minutes. Yeah it would be odd to give a 17 year old game time but he's a rarity.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No he's been doing this in the reserves all season. It's not like he's just suddenly improved or bulked up.

I know I and others have been asking why he hasn't got more minutes. Yeah it would be odd to give a 17 year old game time but he's a rarity.
Your preaching to the choir, I predicted well over a year ago that him, Borthwick Jackson and Axel Taunzebe would be getting first team action this year. A prediction made less impressive by Van Gaal's decision to give debuts to Kai Rooney and Jacey Carrick.

ZAGREB RED

Currently the best choice as starter in either full back spot. He seems to have everything in his repertoire, quick, strong and composed. I think the only real question is which position he is best in.

tomaldinho1

With all that talent coming through one can understand the apprehension some amongst us have with hiring Mourinho. Can he change tack this late in the game to give youth a chance and still be the winner we know him to be?
Agreed - Mourinho is a phenomenal manager but he was never one for trusting in youth.

Trust in players like Fosu-Mensah who bust a gut for the team and clearly want to do well. Trust in our youth products and complement them with world class senior players if available. No point splashing millions on average/ok players like Rojo when there are players of similar levels already in the youth team.

MJJ

Agreed - Mourinho is a phenomenal manager but he was never one for trusting in youth.

Trust in players like Fosu-Mensah who bust a gut for the team and clearly want to do well. Trust in our youth products and complement them with world class senior players if available. No point splashing millions on average/ok players like Rojo when there are players of similar levels already in the youth team.
Mourinho is going to love him, mensah is the definition of a mourinho player. Am expecting him to be used like zouma was.

Spock

He still eighteen, though, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he has a few areas that need to be perfected. He is good enough to contribute positively now and this is something we can not honestly say about more established first team stars like Rojo and Darmian.
Honestly, I have seen no flaws to TFM's game whatsoever. The boy is unbelievable and when he becomes a man he could easily establish himself as the greatest CB in the game. We'll see but right now TFM's future shines as brightly as Martial's. I'm simply at a loss for words as to how impressive he's been in his -- admittedly brief -- 3 or 4 games for us.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Mourinho is going to love him, mensah is the definition of a mourinho player. Am expecting him to be used like zouma was.
That can be a good comparison. I never taught about it, but Mourinho might not go for a centerback and go with a partnership of Smalling and Mensah, with Jones, Rojo and perhaps Blind providing alternative option.

I m not a fan of seeing him as a fullback, but I guess he can develop other areas of his game in that position momentarily. I rather see him because our holding midfielder like Eric Dier for Spurs.

jb8521

Dutch press reporting that Fosu-Mensah is likely to be called up for the Netherlands next friendly matches after Ghana tried to get him to play for them

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Beat me to it. Mou will ease him into the squad on the bench or in the CB rotation, and play him in midfield to counter a physical threat like he did against us like with Zouma vs Fellaini.

RedRevongge

Where do people see him ending up? I think if we played him in CM alongside Herrera that could be a good partnership. You would have the power and mobility of TFM alongside a midfielder with a bit of creativity. I think it's worth a try in an "easier" match

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I just really like him as a fullback. He's the perfect man to combat wingers in one on one duels. He gets time and space there when on the ball as well. Genuinely seems to enjoy defending as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Where do people see him ending up? I think if we played him in CM alongside Herrera that could be a good partnership. You would have the power and mobility of TFM alongside a midfielder with a bit of creativity. I think it's worth a try in an "easier" match
He seems to be an all action player. Bit like Phil Jones. Someone who wants to be everywhere at one time, as we saw when he played at right back, although he made someone crucial tackles and interceptions. However, in centre midfield, it would probably allow him to do more running and pressing, without leaving us to vulnerable if he's out of position (assuming the other centre mid is there to cover). That said, the lads only 18, and positional and tactical awareness is something he will learn as he continues to play at this level.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I just really like him as a fullback. He's the perfect man to combat wingers in one on one duels. He gets time and space there when on the ball as well. Genuinely seems to enjoy defending as well.

I think its a good, easier position of him to break into the 1st team.

But he has uncanny ability to read the game very well with exceptional the physical attributes to react and act upon. This is why his best position in a few years will be defensive midfielder or possibly a box2box midfielder as he matures.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think its a good, easier position of him to break into the 1st team.

But he has uncanny ability to read the game very well with exceptional the physical attributes to react and act upon. This is why his best position in a few years will be defensive midfielder or possibly a box2box midfielder as he matures.
Surely those are exactly the attributes a top CB needs rather than a midfielder. Think Rio.

Not convinced by the lad's passing game to play CM but it can only improve with playing.

Spock

I finally did spot the wayward pass TFM made in the Tottenham match. About the 52nd minute...no pressure and launched a lazy ball back to Spurs' CB. Ok, but it was only one wayward pass under no pressure. But from what we've seen so far his game is nearly perfect and well, well beyond anything you'd reasonably expect of a teenager, especially against two very decent sides in Spurs and West Ham.

The question is what to do with TFM in the short run. Let's be honest...Fosu-Mensah is a significant upgrade on Darmian, who looks more and more like a squad man with every outing. Keep playing him at RB and go ahead with a CB buy this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Feel like he'd work really well in a 3 man midfield with Schneiderlin and Herrera, lots of mobility and energy there with all three willing to put a tackle in and being able to create as well. Hopefully we'll try him in midfield once Shaw returns to full back and we can put Darmian back at RB.

Mainoldo

This I can actually see him being a CM. Imagine him against City being used in midfield for a Mourinhio masterclass.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Surely those are exactly the attributes a top CB needs rather than a midfielder. Think Rio.

Not convinced by the lad's passing game to play CM but it can only improve with playing.

Sure but his ceiling could be further upfront. Rio was a midfielder brought further back.

I think TFM can go the other way. And like Rio he makes things look effortless in the middle.

Mike09

His strongest ability is in his defending. He's quick to react and can read the game well, knows how to win the ball with his strength, interception and tackle. Athletic and technical gift too. He looks very good as a right back to me and we need right back at the moment. He also looks very good as a centre back but that reckless challenge always scares me of penalty or foul inside the box. I have never seen him in midfield but he can play in that role just like what SAF did to Jones in 2012/2013 box to box or ball winning midfield but with much better technical gift as a footballer than Jones. He will win everything in midfield however his passing is just not good enough for top team midfielder. To me he should play like Alaba role in Guardiola's Bayern. Play in starting eleven but doesn't stick with the same position, it looks to me that he can adapt so well in every positions. Talented!

Status
Not open for further replies.