Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
it would be interesting to find out if he was faster than a pre-leg break Shaw

Shaw broke the speed records at Southampton, which is remarkable when you consider the likes of Bale, Walcott etc came through the doors there

golden_blunder

Staff
He never actually broke his leg. The tackle from Pogatetz was horrific but Possebon only missed around a month because of it. He never looked the same after the tackle though and looked afraid of getting injured so it seems the damage was psychological more than physical
you are partly right. He did return quick but as far as I recall United did confirm that he had a leg break

Minkaro

I thought he looked a bit nervous after coming on, passing the ball overly simply.

Then he goes on a run through the middle of three or four Arsenal players and I realise I might just be a bit stupid.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
it would be interesting to find out if he was faster than a pre-leg break Shaw

Shaw broke the speed records at Southampton, which is remarkable when you consider the likes of Bale, Walcott etc came through the doors there
And Le Tissier. :p

Still, I'm thinking Bale wasn't really lightening when Spurs bought him, but trained up his pace, a bit like Ronaldo with us.

Or am I wrong?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He never actually broke his leg. The tackle from Pogatetz was horrific but Possebon only missed around a month because of it. He never looked the same after the tackle though and looked afraid of getting injured so it seems the damage was psychological more than physical
This is a huge myth. He was out for 2-3 weeks and people actually reckon that those 3 weeks out of football were the difference between him becoming world class and ending up in Brazilian 4th Division.

golden_blunder

Staff
This is a huge myth. He was out for 2-3 weeks and people actually reckon that those 3 weeks out of football were the difference between him becoming world class and ending up in Brazilian 4th Division.
so you're saying he was just crap?

CG1010

Perhaps its his pace due to which LVG thinks he should be a full back?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
so you're saying he was just crap?
He probably wasn't that talented if he ended up where he is right now. Or just did not work hard enough, I don't know. Clearly there was something wrong other than being sidelined by injury for 2 or 3 weeks, I don't know a single footballer who was never injured and a 3-week injury does not usually turn Iniesta into 4th rate footballer.

Gerald G

He is not faster than Luke Shaw, I'm not having that.

Anyway I hope he gets restored back to his CB or DM position, although I'm fine with him playing at fullback for the first team right now.

pseudo_canadian

He didn't look out of place at all on Sunday, he has the presence of a full grown man. Just a complete physical specimen.

I wonder what position he will ultimately make his mark in. Would love to see him slotted in at DM like he has been for the youth team.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Really?? That's what you gathered?? Had nothing to do with him being talented enough to play that role with strength and power? That he was put in that role because of an injury??

He can't come into the midfield for now because Mata, Herrera and Schneiderlin are doing well. He's on the bench as a back up defender (a CB) as well as a back up midfielder (a DM). It just so happened that Rojo got injured and we needed someone with height, pace and power.
I'm referring to the interview when LVG mentions that he watched TFM, decided that he'd be better as a fullback, and told Joyce to start playing him there. Obviously I have no problem with him getting his first-team bow there if that's where the opportunity is, I just don't like the idea that Van Gaal sees him playing there in the long term, because I definitely don't.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm referring to the interview when LVG mentions that he watched TFM, decided that he'd be better as a fullback, and told Joyce to start playing him there. Obviously I have no problem with him getting his first-team bow there if that's where the opportunity is, I just don't like the idea that Van Gaal sees him playing there in the long term, because I definitely don't.
I still don't necessarily think thats what van Gaal meant. We are having serious injury problems at fullback so he saw TFM and thought he could do well there so asked Joyce to play him there to see. I don't think it means anything about where he will end up playing but we need a fullback now and he thought TFM would be a good fit.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
van Gaal is not really going to decide on his long term future anyway. At most he has a year and a couple of months left on his contract. At which point Fosu-Mensah will still be young. If he's earned a lot of Premier League experience playing full-back for us in the mean time he's probably better off for it than if he's only played for the U21s.

El Jefe

I understand the excitement for young players and realise we have a talented player on our books but I didn't see much from Sundays performance that has led to the over excitement in this thread.

Could it be the fact that we finally have a player built like a tank with impressive physical qualities and people are getting excited over the type of player he seems to be rather than what he can do.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
And Le Tissier. :p

Still, I'm thinking Bale wasn't really lightening when Spurs bought him, but trained up his pace, a bit like Ronaldo with us.

Or am I wrong?
Nah, pretty sure Bale was into athletics or something like that. I remember hearing or reading that he was rapid in school.

jb8521

I understand the excitement for young players and realise we have a talented player on our books but I didn't see much from Sundays performance that has led to the over excitement in this thread.

Could it be the fact that we finally have a player built like a tank with impressive physical qualities and people are getting excited over the type of player he seems to be rather than what he can do.
Probably because a lot of people have seen more of them than just Sunday's match and even if they haven't its impressive that a player who is still eligible to play under 18s football came on for his debut against one of the top teams in the league and didn't look out of place

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I liked what I saw. He is physically ready for the league, and did some great things with the ball and positioning his body under pressure. Made a couple mistakes too, but he strikes me as exactly the sort of player we are in need of at present. And don't underestimate the importance of physical qualities - speed never takes a day off, as they say.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

I thought he looked very nervous tbh, but in reality, he was thrust into a high pressure match where we were under the cosh a bit at times. Can't judge him on that appearance. Gave away the ball horribly that one time, but fingers crossed it's a learning curve and he can potentially be one for the future.

What's with all these chavvy kids having double-barrels? It's cheapening my surname.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He probably wasn't that talented if he ended up where he is right now. Or just did not work hard enough, I don't know. Clearly there was something wrong other than being sidelined by injury for 2 or 3 weeks, I don't know a single footballer who was never injured and a 3-week injury does not usually turn Iniesta into 4th rate footballer.
All of the players in our academy are talented. You get there by talent, you survive and improve yourself because of your mental strength. Your head game is the most important factor in football and you never know who's going to lose it be it because a family member died, living in another country is hard, you don't care enough or you might be depressed.

I reckon you can side depression as a factor for many of these cases. Very few footballers knowingly have it despite numerous scientific reports showing that professional athletes have a higher depression rate than the general public. It's simply just not talked about.

ricky-romeo

hope this fullback thing is just part of his development and getting games at u-21 and senior level. he looks like a top class CB/DM in the making.

In Rainbows

You should start watching him for the youth team then. I'm much more impressed with his technique, passing ability, and tackling ability which will become apparent to some of you the more he plays. If he didn't have that part of his game in combination with his physical qualities, I would be much less excited.

jb8521

Will probably start cb tonight with Smalling and Carrick out

Taxx

Will probably start cb tonight with Smalling and Carrick out
Oh, I hope so. Would love to see more of him. I'd expect a couple of mistakes, but he's still so exciting a prospect.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Starting tonight, I'm glad. Always held him in pretty high regard as a youngster, hope he does well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Van Gaal or anyone turns him into a left back he or they needs to be sacked for that. Stupid decisions and a waste of his talent.
Easy tiger. It's simply easier to start at fullback then at one of the hardest positions, where you'll be against most teams better players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I ran it under 12 when I was younger than that!
There's a bit of a difference between sub 12 and sub 11 for 100metres though...

and I thought we all ran it sub 12 in our youth...or we remembered that we did...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Nothing in the fact he came on against one of the best teams and looked like he'd been there for years?

Compare that against Donnie Love, McNair, Blackett etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.