Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

Not one of Ander, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, or Fellaini are excellent passers.
That's one of the problems we have though. With that being said I'd love it, if he develops into a player similar to prime Essien.

ottosec

Baptism by fire against Ighalo and ugly Drake, I dunno how many 18 year olds could have matched them like he did.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Looks promising and with a partner who's mind hasn't gone walkabouts he will hopefully have a big future here.

diarm

I was really impressed with him. He got absolutely no help from either Blind, who mixed being exhausted with being all over the place, or from Herrera who made it his mission to put his defenders under as much pressure as he possibly could all night long.

He had one ten minute spell in the first half where he lost his way a little, and looked in danger of being sent off, but otherwise he dealt admirably, often in spite of rather than helped by his partner at the back, with one of the toughest units in the league. I'm really excited about his prospects.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looked good tonight, not an easy full debut at all, Watford play good football and Blind had a horrible game too. I was impressed, showed pace and strength.

Very excited about him, but I think he will be will better in midfield, he could be a monster for us there.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
For the people saying he will be better in CM for us, have you actually seen him play there? Or is this a case of he said she said kinda thing so I am going with the flow?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
For the people saying he will be better in CM for us, have you actually seen him play there? Or is this a case of he said she said kinda thing so I am going with the flow?
He's great on the ball and a solid tackler, why not play him in centre mid? In the future, of course

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He's great on the ball and a solid tackler, why not play him in centre mid? In the future, of course
Then why not keep him at CB and use him like a Rio or a Evans? Build the attack from the back. I know Evans was a shit defender for the most part but his passing and build up play from the back was very good.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Then why not keep him at CB and use him like a Rio or a Evans? Build the attack from the back. I know Evans was a shit defender for the most part but his passing and build up play from the back was very good.
Well yeah, it's a good job Schneiderlin is turning out alright otherwise I think a player like Fosu-Mensah would be the perfect player to play in our mid, still could be. He seems quick too, hard tackler and a decent passer. Definitely think his future lies in centre mid.

Who knows, maybe he's a decent finsher too and could be a great box to box mid?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That's one of the problems we have though. With that being said I'd love it, if he develops into a player similar to prime Essien.
Well yeah you need some with excellent passing but not all need it like what he said. As evidenced by our midfield, Coquelin and Ramsey at Arsenal, Fernandinho and Fernando at City, Dier at Spurs, Matic, Mikel, and previously Ramires and like you say Essien at Chelsea. Not everyone needs to be an excellent passer.

Ander and Bastian are fairly good passers, think you are being harsh.
Yeah, fairly good not excellent. They both severely lacking any range in their passing and Schweinsteiger has shown very little ability to make penetrative passes. That's my point though, they are both good midfielders. Good enough to play for us and other top teams, well maybe not Schweinsteiger anymore, despite not having excellent passing.

thepolice123

The sky's the limit for this kid here. He has the tools to play in any central roles.

suheilsworld

He is pure raw talent. I think he looks one of those players who doesn't need a loan move and can thrive, learn and grown playing as a squad rotation player for us in the next couple of season.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He looks very raw, but the talent is there. Needs to be a little less rash and patient - kept diving into tackles even when on a yellow and sometimes stuck too closely to his man. He's a beast though, and showed intelligence when taking Ighalo wider when he got through on goal.

It's hard to judge because Blind was absolutely horrific today, and Varela was very average when defending as well. You'd ideally want a young CB to come into a defense that's settled and top of its game. Grew into the game as it went on. 6.5/10 for me

khoazany

Early days but I think performances like today will help him claim an official spot in the squad next season, probably in the expense of Jones.

Esquire

Baptism by fire against Ighalo and ugly Drake, I dunno how many 18 year olds could have matched them like he did.
Haha didn't hear that one before but oh so apt...

Thought he did quite well tonight. He showed his inexperience but the instinct and the physical skillset are there. Good prospect.

Golden Nugget

He did well - in some senses - strength and recovery tackles - but was a bit all over the place position wise and chased the ball around like a kid at times (especially the first half). That said, he's very young and these things can be learnt.

Not many teams play with two strikers anymore, and Watford have two good ones who work very hard. Even though he had a lot help from De Gea and Ighalo, he managed to come up against Deeney and Blind (who were a handful) and come out with a clean sheet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very hard game to judge him off. Watford basically pressed us to pieces and their physicality was at times too much for our patched up team to handle. We could have been a few goals behind by HT. But he did show glimses of his talent despite that with a few good tackles and ability on the ball.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Was tough for him to handle Ighalo, Deeney and Blind at the same time but did reasonably well IMO. Not many teams will have a striker pairing as good as Watford right now. Decent debut.

Showed excellent maturity to recover from a very early yellow card.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't know how you guys can judge a defender so quickly - be it quality or crap. Maybe I just don't know how to judge defensive talent. To me defenders/goal keepers are all about consistency. They kind of have to build their trust which is why I am always a terrible judge of young defenders.

Drainy

Naïve performance. What you'd expect from a recently turned 18 defender making his full debut.

His talent is obvious, just needs experience

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Louis liked it or is he just blowing smoke to boost his confidence?

Sounds like TFM is here to stay from now. :devil:

Louis van Gaal has praised youngster Timothy Fosu-Mensah after his first Manchester United start.

Fosu-Mensah made his United debut as a substitute in the 3-2 victory over Arsenal last Sunday, and the Dutchman was handed his first start by Van Gaal in the 1-0 win over Watford on Wednesday.

The Dutchman was booked after 23 minutes against the Hornets, but recovered to put in an excellent performance, making three tackles, one interception and four clearances as he thwarted Odion Ighalo and Troy Deeney at Old Trafford.

The 18-year-old has been thrust into the first team due to United’s injury issues, but Van Gaal was impressed with his countryman.

“I gave compliments to my players because it is not so easy to win these games because Watford pressed us very high and we gave the ball away. Because of that they had several chances,” said Van Gaal.

“But Timothy has saved us three times I think because of his speed and I was very pleased he was on the pitch. I let him stay on the pitch in the second half because we was the player who always closed the door for us.

“I think he is a better full back than a central defender but he is from origin at Ajax always playing right centre midfield or right centre half. This is his position.

“But he has to play against (Watford striker) Ighalo who is a handful for a centre half. He did it fantastically and certainly when he gets a yellow card after 20 minutes then it is not so easy to play against a striker like Ighalo or Deeney. He was very good.”

Golden Nugget

“I think he is a better full back than a central defender but he is from origin at Ajax always playing right centre midfield or right centre half. This is his position.

Looks like I'm wrong then. Looks like vna Gaal is trying to Alaba him. LVG seems to be able to see the fullback side of everyone.

SteveW

Darren Fletcher says hi.. the game changes and the teams as well, it can take more than 50 years to find a new Scholes etc... we will play with what we have and what manager wants not what was United known in the past.. Despite all that TFM just turned 18 and has all the time to get better at passing, having a good vision is important - its hard to learn over time and that he has, so I have no doubts over him even in your United team with preferable type of def. midfielder..
He's nothing like Fletcher. Why are people so desperate to make him into a midfielder anyway?

SteveW

You underrate him. He's very young and obviously not ready to be anything for the first team yet, but he's more than got the ability - in his passing as well as his ball control and tackling - to be a senior DM for us. He's shown that at youth level, for us and internationally.
I don't underrate him. I think he's great. I just don't get why you're so fixated on the idea of turning him into a midfielder when he's clearly a defender.

Norris

He's nothing like Fletcher. Why are people so desperate to make him into a midfielder anyway?
I think it is because many here believe he could be a very good Makelele or Yaya in the making. I can see why he would do well in a CDM role but seeing as United never ever play that way, his future has got to be at CB. It will dilute his attacking instincts to the game however.

itso 7

Was tough for him to handle Ighalo, Deeney and Blind at the same time but did reasonably well IMO. Not many teams will have a striker pairing as good as Watford right now. Decent debut.

Showed excellent maturity to recover from a very early yellow card.
:lol: Sad innit that the kid had to babysit Blind when it should have been the other way round...

SteveW

I think it is because many here believe he could be a very good Makelele or Yaya in the making. I can see why he would do well in a CDM role but seeing as United never ever play that way, his future has got to be at CB. It will dilute his attacking instincts to the game however.
You're right, we don't play that way. The Makelele role does not exist in our team.

He's nothing like Yaya. As for his attacking instincts, I'm not sure he'd find it as easy to attack at first team level. His attacking instincts basically amount to being very very fast.

Moriarty

Good. He looks a very good prospect and, as Van Gaal says, turned in a creditable performance against two very physical and imposing Watford forwards. Deeney and Ighalo are not top-drawer players by any stretch and it will be interesting to see how FM does against, say, Kane, who has a lot more to his game. Perhaps we'll find out soon enough.

Moriarty

:lol: Sad innit that the kid had to babysit Blind when it should have been the other way round...
What happened to Blind last night? He was awful. Someone on here likened him to Prunier which made me chuckle. The last thing we need is for him to lose form at this time.

Norris

He's nothing like Yaya. As for his attacking instincts, I'm not sure he'd find it as easy to attack at first team level. His attacking instincts basically amount to being very very fast.
He has quite a few tricks up his sleeve too from the videos I saw of him. So if given proper training, I think he can probably beat a man or two. And by Yaya, let me rephrase, the defensive version of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.