Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

Pogba was an actual central midfielder, though. Fosu-Mensah has played all of his senior football at CB or fullback. Mourinho consistently cites him as a right back in competition with Valencia and Darmian.
Point still stands, Pogba was constantly over hyped on here by people who hadn't seen him play. Fact is (and this is not a knee jerk reaction as I was saying this before we signed him) he's not a world class player. Not even in the top 10 in the world - although he definitely has the potential and like I've said before, we will get adequate return on investment.

Dobbs

He's only played about half a game for the u21's in midfield as well. Basically all of his football since he moved up from the u18s has been as a defender. I'm a huge fan of Fosu-Mensah myself and think he could do really well in midfield but it doesn't seem like the club have any plans to develop him as a midfielder.
Nah he's played midfield more than that. I've even seen him play as a 10.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yes, our best midfield involves a player who's never actually played a senior game in midfield. This place can be seriously stupid at times.
It obviously does not. But the thought that this midfield have the potential of being our best option is not ridiculous though. And TFM already showed some qualities that the likes of Fellaini or even Herrera simply doesn't possess, his mix of physical superiority, pace and an eye for a tackle is similar only to Pogba in our team. Even though Herrera and even Fellaini (less so) are superior players at the moment

jb8521

Nah he's played midfield more than that. I've even seen him play as a 10.
For the u21s he played as a 10 in some preseason games and started a few games in cm before being moved back. He played in cm more for the u18s and u19s. Either way he's barely played in midfield at all for the past year

Dobbs

For the u21s he played as a 10 in some preseason games and started a few games in cm before being moved back. He played in cm more for the u18s and u19s. Either way he's barely played in midfield at all for the past year
He's hasn't played in any position consistently so I don't see how anyone can discount a particular role. He's certainly played more than half a game in midfield though mate. He's played midfield as often as right back for the 21's.

jb8521

He's hasn't played in any position consistently so I don't see how anyone can discount a particular role. He's certainly played more than half a game in midfield though mate. He's played midfield as often as right back for the 21's.
I'm not discounting anything I said I think he could do really well in midfield and he has enough different facets to his game to do well in a number of positions. He has started 3/4 games in midfield for the u21s apart from friendlies and was moved into defence in at least 2 of them and his other 11 appearances for the u21s and 12 senior appearances were all in defence apart from a few minutes where he came on at the end of a match. For the past year the club seems to be giving him games in defence rather than in midfield so it doesn't seem like we have any plans for him to be used in midfield, if we did you'd expect us to give him some game time there rather than giving him almost all of his minutes in defence. I wasn't being literal when I said half a game but he has played very little in midfield for the u21s.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not discounting anything I said I think he could do really well in midfield and he has enough different facets to his game to do well in a number of positions. He has started 3/4 games in midfield for the u21s apart from friendlies and was moved into defence in at least 2 of them and his other 11 appearances for the u21s and 12 senior appearances were all in defence apart from a few minutes where he came on at the end of a match. For the past year the club seems to be giving him games in defence rather than in midfield so it doesn't seem like we have any plans for him to be used in midfield, if we did you'd expect us to give him some game time there rather than giving him almost all of his minutes in defence. I wasn't being literal when I said half a game but he has played very little in midfield for the u21s.
According to transfermarkt he played in UEFA youth league as a DM in all games.

I remember him playing as a DM in few games in reserves but not sure exactly how many games or against which opponents. I think you or someone posted his individual highlights of those games where he bossed the midfield.

Anyways any idea on his new contract? There was news he signed but there was no official confirmation. According to transfermarkt his contract expires on june 2017.

hbgreg

People should really just listen to JB when it comes to the youth side of things, one of the most informed people here.

khoazany

Fosu-Mensah has started to play primarily at fullback since LVG called him up to first team training (apart from the UEFA Youth League where we have Reid/Warren for right back but lack of options in midfield).Clearly LVG saw him as a full back at least at that point of time and looks like Mourinho agreed (actually apart from not playing Rooney as a CM Mourinho didn't seem to disagree with LVG about positions of any player).

Not saying he won't become a midfielder in the future but at least this season I don't see him playing there at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's definitely got the skillset to play in midfield but there is now way he's going to be trusted to carve a spot for himself there straight away.

He's not a midfield prodigy like Fabregas, he needs minutes to sharpen up and come up to the pace of the premier league. He'll definitely get there though, he's got bucket loads of talent.

jb8521

According to transfermarkt he played in UEFA youth league as a DM in all games.

I remember him playing as a DM in few games in reserves but not sure exactly how many games or against which opponents. I think you or someone posted his individual highlights of those games where he bossed the midfield.

Anyways any idea on his new contract? There was news he signed but there was no official confirmation. According to transfermarkt his contract expires on june 2017.
The youth league is the u19s which I already said he played in midfield. Transfermarkt isn't always right either since they have him listed as playing in a couple of games in midfield with Love playing cb when it was the other way around and has a few other players listed in positions they didn't play in. The only u21 game I remember him playing for the whole game in midfield was against Everton, in a few other games he started or was listed on mutv as cm but was moved to cb or fullback. Heard he had agreed a new contract a couple of months ago but haven't heard anything since then.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The youth league is the u19s which I already said he played in midfield. Transfermarkt isn't always right either since they have him listed as playing in a couple of games in midfield with Love playing cb when it was the other way around and has a few other players listed in positions they didn't play in. The only u21 game I remember him playing for the whole game in midfield was against Everton, in a few other games he started or was listed on mutv as cm but was moved to cb or fullback. Heard he had agreed a new contract a couple of months ago but haven't heard anything since then.
Yeah youth league is U19s, I sort of missed it.

Those youtube videos are deleted, I remember someone posting his highlights. Anyways thanks for the information.

Dobbs

Him being a rb was purely down to LvG. I don't think it's a club decision so to speak and now LvG has left I think his position is yet to be determined. He's played almost every position on the pitch during his short career.

In my opinion it's age more than anything keeping him out of a midfield position. How many 18 year old centre midfielders have United had? Have we ever? It's not really the position to blood youngsters in.

Hal9000

He's been shite. Every time the ball comes near him he just reacts very slowly or stands still.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's been excellent at fullback prior. He was solid against Spurs away last season. Some poor mistakes, but this is his first 1st team start this season. I think a fair bit can be chalked up to rustiness.

Sigma

A couple of not so great moments, but he did nearly score with a good header.

Don't take him off please Jose

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just don't see it. Where's the nutty lot who were telling me he could be as good as Kante this season?

Rossa

Surprisingly poor today; plenty of pace, but is skinned easily on a couple of occasions due to poor anticipation. Looks to have good technique and passing is decent - probably more suited to another position. However, he hasn't played for a long while and is very young.

Sigma

He's been excellent at fullback prior. He was solid against Spurs away last season. Some poor mistakes, but this is his first 1st team start this season. I think a fair bit can be chalked up to rustiness.
His positing against Spurs was terrible but he used his pace and strength as an asset to get back. Many on here lament Valencia for doing what they perceive to be the same thing

Kag

Clearly very talented but he doesn't look like a full back to me. We can excuse mistakes, that's part and parcel of progression, but there's no real excuse for that kind of half-arsed attempt at defending.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Positionally very suspect at the right back. Not a surprise though, his best qualities atm are the athleticism and tackling.
Great header though. Like the kid, but he's probably the second worst performer in the first half for us (you all can guess the winner)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Had two poor moments at the back, although he was by no means solely at fault for the penalty.

Seems a bit scared to roam forward, either that or he has been instructed to stay back - which is hardly the expected approach vs Northampton. Still had a good chance with his header.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Doing his career no favours. Appreciate that he lacks match practice but this is significantly worse than Darmian in Holland.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Can't defend. Wouldn't be surprised if he is taken off. More than likely will not be played again. Looks like he doesn't have the head for playing for Man Utd.

SteveW

Strange player. Seems a huge talent but I can't think of a good position for him. Don't think he's got the craft or passing ability to play midfield and seems extremely dodgy in defense.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His positing against Spurs was terrible but he used his pace and strength as an asset to get back. Many on here lament Valencia for doing what they perceive to be the same thing
I struggle to think of a teenage full back who has solid positioning at such a young age. Positonally, full back is among the hardest to master, and even the best full backs still find themselves out of position in games. I'd doubt it's even his long term position anyway. Glad to see him getting minutes on the pitch regardless.

I'd rather see young, raw players like him make mistakes than see fully-fledged internationals like Darmian and Rojo be utterly underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.