Timothy Fosu-Mensah | 2017/18 Crystal Palace Performances

cyberman

@Sunny Jim
Hasn't played in a month, not even making the bench as of late.
Its kind of worrying that one of our brightest defensive talents is struggling at Crystal fecking Palace.
It puts those rotation with Valencia theories into perspective

Home&Away

If we stick with 3 at the back I think he would make a great cb who can burst forward at pace as an extra man. If he is coming back, hopefully it's to cover Valencia and we move Darmian on. He's just a waste of a squad place imo.​
Yes he could definitely play there & is very suited to it. I also think that he has plenty of growing as a player to do - his attacking ability at RB wasn't spectacular but he did show that he could attack with intent. Though it might be far off - I'd like him to possibly play next to pogba one day - be a player that could really make that centre of midfield solid; having TFM & Pogba their would be like having two tanks/engines in that midfield. I believe he can initiate runs when he needs to & possibly pick some decent passes too.

Playing the centre CB that joins in to CDM is probably his most suited role however

crossy1686

career ending
@Sunny Jim
Its kind of worrying that one of our brightest defensive talents is struggling at Crystal fecking Palace.
I think the issue is that Palace are struggling and a manager will always turn to experienced players to get the team out of a mess. They can't really afford to start developing younger players that belong to another team because they will have mistakes in their game that they can't afford right now.

Giggsy92

Sounds like him coming back would be in the interest of both clubs. Might have to send him abroad like Pereira, have we even had a successful Premier League loan since Welbeck at Sunderland?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
@Sunny Jim
Is he actually struggling though? When he was playing he was consistently praised by their fans and called one of their best players.

Home&Away

I think the issue is that Palace are struggling and a manager will always turn to experienced players to get the team out of a mess. They can't really afford to start developing younger players that belong to another team because they will have mistakes in their game that they can't afford right now.
This is what I think too - loans turn sour quickly as soon as they need to fight for something be that fighting against relegation or fighting for promotion. It's not a really a good way of reading the players ability. The reason we don't play mctominay pr tuenzebe freely is because we are competing for things & can't afford to take risks - it's their lack of experience rather than their abilities as a player.

SteveW

He's a superb athlete but is he actually any good? Just don't see it.

Fully Fledged

I hope this thread gets bumped in years to come as to show his world class progression so every future poster can wonder what the context of this was.
Wrong thread.:lol: I was on about the Chelsea players having hot water bottles on the bench.

I hope he becomes a big enough player that this thread is bumped as well.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Remember there was interest from Watford. Looking back it would probably have been a better move. They play with three at the back from time to time, and I think he would be a better option than Mariappa.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's a superb athlete but is he actually any good? Just don't see it.
His positioning is the big question. The other doubt I had over him was his passing, but I caught a couple of Crystal Palace matches earlier in the season and it seemed that he'd improved that aspect massively. So now if he sorts out his positioning he could really go on to be anything he damn well wants. But it's also the thing that could potentially hold him back and he'll never reach the top.

As others have said, we need to work out which position we want him to settle into and make sure he spends most of his time at that position. With his positioning being the question over him, it's something that will only improve with fairly regular games in that particular position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes he could definitely play there & is very suited to it. I also think that he has plenty of growing as a player to do - his attacking ability at RB wasn't spectacular but he did show that he could attack with intent. Though it might be far off - I'd like him to possibly play next to pogba one day - be a player that could really make that centre of midfield solid; having TFM & Pogba their would be like having two tanks/engines in that midfield. I believe he can initiate runs when he needs to & possibly pick some decent passes too.
I don't think a two man central midfield of Pogba and TFM would be suitable. However a three man midfield of TFM in with Pogba and Matic could potentially be devastating. Let TFM play the 'Kante' role next to Matic, using his athleticism, speed and power to just roam around and destroy everything, creating counter-attacks and whatnot.

More likely I think he'll play in the backline though.

marlowe78

The newspaper talk is that Palace are interested in buying Danny Ings and Fosu-Mensah would be returned to United. I can't think of one loan we've made that has worked well in recent seasons except for Pereira to Grenada (correct me if I'm wrong).

Mourinho uses a small squad to begin with, so I don't see the point of loaning him out when he can play as a fill-in for league matches, FA Cup, and League Cup. All that loans to crap clubs like Palace lead to is changes of manager, relegation battles, etc. where the development plans go out the window and the player comes back having wasted his time. Or in Januzaj's case, going to a better club where you don't have any chance to play.

Major clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona have B clubs and I kind of like the idea of us doing the same. Don't know how realistic that is, though.

::sonny::

Will never play again for Palace, not even on the bench today

Played only under the ridicolous De Boer.

What a waste of time, played on the 50% of the games 9/18, 3 under De Boer in August.

Utdstar01

Depending on the Valencia injury, probably needs to be recalled in January perhaps?

Zlatattack

@crossy1686
If anything its harder to develop at Utd when chasing this City side though?
Yeah, but tbh i don't think any expected Palace to struggle so much when he was sent out on loan. It certainly wasn't as clear cut as Sunderland and Januzaj. In hindsight Burnley would have been a good shout! The thing is, it all depends on who wants your player on loan.

If he comes back I hope we send him somewhere else - even some of those top championship sides. No point wasting talent on the bench, especially if we're not confident he can do a job.

Utdstar01

Yeah, but tbh i don't think any expected Palace to struggle so much when he was sent out on loan. It certainly wasn't as clear cut as Sunderland and Januzaj. In hindsight Burnley would have been a good shout! The thing is, it all depends on who wants your player on loan.

If he comes back I hope we send him somewhere else - even some of those top championship sides. No point wasting talent on the bench, especially if we're not confident he can do a job.
Burnley or Bournemouth might have been decent loans for him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Playing well against City up to now, would be a useful player to have in the squad with our injury problems

Santos J

Yeah been pretty solid aside from when Sane turned him inside out once