g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Top Four Race 2018/19

SER19

Two tough away games for both Chelsea and arsenal next. Two home games for us. Critical juncture between now and new year i think

Mick321

Good day for us, we'll need a great second half of the season to do it but we have a chance. We've also been to Anfield, City and SB now whereas Chelsea have to go to City, Anfield and come here which is nice.

el3mel

It's on guys. I can see it.

....... Probably till we lose to Spurs though. :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The points gap looks huge, but take today's form into the next 3 and we might cut it substantially.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Glimmer of hope. Need to win the next 3 and see where we are going in to the Spurs game.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This Cardiff win means nothing, it could either be the start of a run or just a short term bounce from a new manager.

We've got to win our next 3 games to take any top 4 hopes seriously.

Jacko21

Said it before in this thread, but don't discount the impact the Europa League could and probably will have on Chelsea and Arsenal. (Unless they go out early of course!)

Statistically, English teams who have reached the latter stages of the Europa League haven't done so without it affecting their league position.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This Cardiff win means nothing, it could either be the start of a run or just a short term bounce from a new manager.

We've got to win our next 3 games to take any top 4 hopes seriously.
More like 10 in a row.

sugar_kane

Genuinely not arsed if we make top four this season, just want to enjoy watching United again.

That said, yesterday proved that freak results can and will happen so it’s far from over yet.

Vadim

Couldn’t give a crap about top 4, it’s not a fecking trophy or something to be proud of. We’re not Spurs and Arsenal fans.

I want us challenging for the league again and playing attacking football.

E-mal

All we can do is concentrate on winning and where we at, is no beyond us yetr.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Couldn’t give a crap about top 4, it’s not a fecking trophy or something to be proud of. We’re not Spurs and Arsenal fans.

I want us challenging for the league again and playing attacking football.
For that you need to buy top players. For that you need to give these players CL football. Just throwing money alone at them only buys you...well I'm sure you have a list of players in your mind already of who that buys.

Eire Red United

3 handy enough games for us, win them and I’d say we will have cut the gap down another bit, then by the time Chelsea and Arsenal start in the Europa again we could be right up there.

Vadim

For that you need to buy top players. For that you need to give these players CL football. Just throwing money alone at them only buys you...well I'm sure you have a list of players in your mind already of who that buys.
I respectfully disagree. It's a myth which was started on internet football forums many years ago.

You don't need CL football to challenge for the league and play entertaining football. Good players will join you if you show the cash, show that you're ambitious and if you're already a big club, which Utd are.

The obsession with Top 4 amonst modern football fans is baffling. I want the league or nothing. Yes, playing in Europe is great but I want to be competitive in Europe, not just 'in the group but do nothing of note when we get there', which is where Utd have been for ages now.

We signed big players before without CL, we'll do it again.

Mick321

Chelsea aren't that good but an 8 point gap is still pretty big, do-able but will be tough. I think we'll finish above Arsenal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In 98/99 at New Year our record was:
Played 20; Won 9; Drawn 8; lost 3

The last 18 games of the season were:
Won 13; Drawn 5; lost 0

Right now we're at 8/5/5 with 29 points. Win our next 2 games at home to huddersfield and Brighton and we're at the exact same points total by New Years. Ok, we wont win the title and it'd be a miracle to win the CL but getting into title winning form would give us a shot at the top 4. Getting over 70 points by the end of the season after the first half we had would be brilliant from Ole, so I dont think any of us could be upset by the end if we achieve that even if we miss out on top 4.

It's not the end of the world anyway in terms of signings. I think players would be more willing to come here in a scenario we play like the true United but miss out because of how bad it was under Mou compared to Mourinho finishing top 4 playing trash football.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll be asleep unfortunately but it would be huge to get a win against Everton today. We'd open up a reasonable gap to the other London clubs and would be right behind City.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'll be asleep unfortunately but it would be huge to get a win against Everton today. We'd open up a reasonable gap to the other London clubs and would be right behind City.
I'm torn about this too. I want to see Everton lose but it means Spurs putting some unnecessary pressure on the top places. However, might help Pool in the long run if City are having to look down as well as up.

CognitiveNeuro

Premier League XI - Shittiest "Top 6" XI so far this season

De Gea

Bellerin - Lindelof - Sokratis - Shaw

Henderson - Keita - Guendozi

Iwobi

Giroud - Morata

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Dont get the list either or the purpose of it I guess. Sokratis has been our best defender. I think he'd make a better 2nd CB than a primary one though. We are still obviously one CB short. Bellerin isnt that much of an FB but he is very good going forward. Guendouzi looks like a future talent at 19 years of age (think he needs a break...been playing too much lately). De Gea is still the best goalie in the PL and Shaw is decent.

Even Giroud serves a purpose...just ask Deschamps....same with Henderson.

Irwin99

Would love to see Spurs win the title over City and Pool . Maybe if they improve their squad depth in January? (clutching at straws)

CognitiveNeuro

Dont get the list either or the purpose of it I guess. Sokratis has been our best defender. I think he'd make a better 2nd CB than a primary one though. We are still obviously one CB short. Bellerin isnt that much of an FB but he is very good going forward. Guendouzi looks like a future talent at 19 years of age (think he needs a break...been playing too much lately). De Gea is still the best goalie in the PL and Shaw is decent.

Even Giroud serves a purpose...just ask Deschamps....same with Henderson.
all good players but someone's gotta part of the shittiest of the top 6...also note I said so far THIS season.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Would love to see Spurs win the title over City and Pool . Maybe if they improve their squad depth in January? (clutching at straws)
I think it's an uphill battle for them, they need to have a run of good form And for both teams to slip up. It's doable but it's extremely unlikely

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think it's an uphill battle for them, they need to have a run of good form And for both teams to slip up. It's doable but it's extremely unlikely
I agree, albeit I'd say unlikely rather than extremely so. But it would be exciting to see a tight three-way race as the season approaches its closing games.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Definitely an uphill battle and I don't think we'll do it but I hope the players have belief. We always pick up in the second half of the season and Poch has done an incredible job managing the job with injuries and post WC fatigue. We've had the most injuries out of the top 6 and yet still sit 3rd, incredible job.

Such a shame that we played City and Liverpool during that period (also a shame that Trippier fecked up for City's goal).

Will be interesting to see how the league looks after the festive period as we have Wolves and Bournemouth at home and Cardiff away next 3 games.

Either way, great win and opened up a little gap to 4th and put big pressure on the top 2.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Definitely an uphill battle and I don't think we'll do it but I hope the players have belief. We always pick up in the second half of the season and Poch has done an incredible job managing the job with injuries and post WC fatigue. We've had the most injuries out of the top 6 and yet still sit 3rd, incredible job.

Such a shame that we played City and Liverpool during that period (also a shame that Trippier fecked up for City's goal).

Will be interesting to see how the league looks after the festive period as we have Wolves and Bournemouth at home and Cardiff away next 3 games.

Either way, great win and opened up a little gap to 4th and put big pressure on the top 2.
Absolutely - if there's chance of spurs winning I'll take it. Odds are stacked but stranger things have happened

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Call me naive, but Spurs don't feel threatening or particularly even interest me in the slightest. There's absolutely no way they finish above Man City this season, and it's highly improbable that we will, either.

I'd rather City win than Spurs, anyway.

Eric's Seagull

Don't forget to squeeze in the CL win too. They've changed their minds and given Ole SPOTY too.
With Ole in charge I believe our chances have gone from extremely slim as in putting 4 extra holes in your belt to ever so slight. But I would take it over no chance, just hope my favourite player to watch is not worth watching on those days.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Call me naive, but Spurs don't feel threatening or particularly even interest me in the slightest. There's absolutely no way they finish above Man City this season, and it's highly improbable that we will, either.

I'd rather City win than Spurs, anyway.
They've played 11 away games already and won 9. I'd feel threatened as they have on paper an easier run in than yourselves and City. Less matches to slip up on imo.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
They've played 11 away games already and won 9. I'd feel threatened as they have on paper an easier run in than yourselves and City. Less matches to slip up on imo.
City also have a drastically better/deeper squad, a better manager, goal difference (should it come down to that), and experience as winners.

I still give City (at least) an 80% probability of lifting the title.

& most importantly, unlike ourselves & Spurs, City don't seem to be "fluking" their way to anywhere near as many points. When City win, they win. Convincingly. There's no doubt it was the right result for the match. However, there's been games this season for both ourselves & Spurs which felt like, despite them going in our favour, they probably shouldn't have.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
City also have a drastically better/deeper squad, a better manager, goal difference (should it come down to that), and experience as winners.
Agreed. But at the same time, Spurs to their credit have done superbly away from home this season and it's going to put real pressure on both of you guys as they'll have far more banker wins at home remaining. Agree they have a better squad, but Tottenham have some excellent players who are starting to hit form (Alli, Kane, Eriksen) while Son has been terrific for a while now. They did the grinding out wins while playing badly and now their important guys are getting into form they'll quickly start catching up on GD.