Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It puzzles me that he can get away with saying he worked with Obama so he can't possibly be a legitimate investigator. The idea that this resonates with people and angers people is just so strange to me.

He was the FBI director for christ's sake. You must be absolutely terrified of the federal government if you think it exists solely as a political weapon to destroy people like you and those that represent you.

I'd dismissed it before but listening to this podcast about Ruby Ridge and hearing what really animated Randy Weaver, that sheer terror about an apocalypse brought on by the federal government...I've never felt anything remotely like that.

There must be a huge chunk of people in the US thar exist quite far along that spectrum if that message resonates with his base. I can totally understand why you'd vote for Trump in that case.

Do the US folk outside that paranoid bubble understand why they think that way?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Trump was lying regarding Mueller, of course.

He worked under Bush for 10(?) years and was extended by Obama for another few years.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have Robert Mueller or any of his subordinates uttered a single word publicly about this investigation since it began - indictments aside?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Have Robert Mueller or any of his subordinates uttered a single word publicly about this investigation since it began - indictments aside?
I have no idea what he sounds like. And the news channels only show the same clips of him walking and pictures of him mid sentence.

nimic

something nice
Scout

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
A total witch hunt like no other in American history? Uuuh, what about the actual witch hunt?

The funny thing is, Universities in the future absolutely will study Trump and Trumpism. 21st century America will have a lot to answer for.
By the time he has made America great again people will only be studying at trump university from trump approved text books...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't think we're ready and prepared for Donald to be indicted/any action against him personally. We've waited for so long and we're so desperately invested in wanting him gone and destroyed that I don't think we consider the implications that it would have.

Don Jr has to happen first to see how Trump reacts, it's probably going to be enough on it's own to destroy everything but it has to come first surely.

Mind you, Mueller strikes me as the type to go for the jugular if he can so if it IS Trump, boy are we in for a ride the likes I don't think the world has ever been on before. I can only read up on Watergate and what it was like but this feels about a billion times bigger?

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I don't think we're ready and prepared for Donald to be indicted/any action against him personally. We've waited for so long and we're so desperately invested in wanting him gone and destroyed that I don't think we consider the implications that it would have.

Don Jr has to happen first to see how Trump reacts, it's probably going to be enough on it's own to destroy everything but it has to come first surely.

Mind you, Mueller strikes me as the type to go for the jugular if he can so if it IS Trump, boy are we in for a ride the likes I don't think the world has ever been on before. I can only read up on Watergate and what it was like but this feels about a billion times bigger?
Agreed and I think what makes this so unpredictable is that we will see EVERY step once it breaks given social media. Also Trump himself almost certainly will engage of all kinds of crazy behavior - Twitter rants, dialing into radio/TV shows, possibly direct videos on YouTube. He will not go quietly until they actually put a muzzle on him and throw him behind bars.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surely we're looking at a big day today? Sounds like there has been big activity all weeks in the courts with no actual announcements yet. If nothing comes tonight I'm going to be leaning towards the idea that the Mueller and Co are holding off from unsealing indictments until the AG position is sorted/recused.

In the past it has been Rosenstein who has called the conferences and made the announcements. Now he has handed the ropes to his senior, Whitaker. Can anyone really imagine Whitaker standing up in front of the world press and announcing that Stone/Trump Jr/Kushner etc are under indictment?

The Firestarter

I presume Mueller has a contingency to transfer everything to designated DAs, if it is imminent that the investigation will be shut down and all materials taken.

Revan

Assumptionman
I presume Mueller has a contingency to transfer everything to designated DAs, if it is imminent that the investigation will be shut down and all materials taken.
From all accounts he has already done so, and many cases are already in hands of judges in New York.

The main problem is that it is unlikely that anyone else (bar some other special counsel) might subpoena Trump, or do some big damage to Trump. However, other actors are not safe even if Muller's case is terminated.

The Firestarter

From all accounts he has already done so, and many cases are already in hands of judges in New York.

The main problem is that it is unlikely that anyone else (bar some other special counsel) might subpoena Trump, or do some big damage to Trump. However, other actors are not safe even if Muller's case is terminated.
Subpoenaing the president is always ending up in the SCOTUS. Same for indictment. He can't do damage this way, except by creating a constitutional crisis for the ages.

Revan

Assumptionman
Subpoenaing the president is always ending up in the SCOTUS. Same for indictment. He can't do damage this way, except by creating a constitutional crisis for the ages.
You're right, though he can try to do so, and then Justice Roberts has an interesting decision to make.

More likely though, it will go in the senate where Republicans will be put in a very difficult position. If it doesn't come from Muller, I doubt that the Senate will care.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Guardian:

President Trump said he’s answered the questions sent by Robert Mueller’s team. “I’ve answered them very easily. I’m working on them,” he said, stressing his lawyers aren’t the ones writing.

“You always have to be careful answering questions for people who have bad intentions. I haven’t submitted them. I just finished them.”

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well he did seem “back to normal” in that presser at the WH. Muller worry been lifted?
I read that the recent Assange stuff will likely delay the Russia investigation.