Van Persie: I want to stay

Ekeke

If he really wanted to show commitment he could have denied the story before it was even published, like Rooney did a few years back.
Or he could have been silent till we put an insanely huge contract in front of his face like Rooney this year

Rednotdead

Great example of why we're better off without megathreads. Wouldn't have bothered clicking on the RVP thread if it was bumped.

Encouraging words. Now let's see him follow them up on the pitch. Sunday would be a great place to start!
Hear hear!! A hat-trick on Sunday wouldn't go amiss, though it doesn't really matter as long as we beat them. I hate them. I hate Rodgers. No doubt if we do win, they'll be whining about some perceived injustice. Ever the victims.

Getsme

Great news! I was getting worried he'd be off in the summer.
Yep. And to think some would have been happy to see him go, or at the very least, not the bothered. By far our best player last season and when on form on of the best in the World.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I never actually believed he was seriously contemplating leaving. His body language in games after scoring and in training suggested otherwise.

buckooo1978

Silly that he has to say it but great news

Uncertainty breeds pressure I think and a lot of the noises coming out of Old Trafford have been negative - players unhappy, cryptic messages on Twitter, Vidic, injuries, club value decimated (Nooooo) Nani losing his leg etc.

Slowly we are starting to see the green shoots of recovery, Major players signing, RVP comments, Fellaini settling a little, club share price increasing :-) and even the way they celebrated the goals at West Brom there seemed to be unity

May be looking into it too much but a settled, happy positive squad is far more conducive to positive results

RVP should follow this statement up with goals - Have we turned the corner? Sunday will go a long way to ensuring we have a great finish to the season

gasmanc

Banned
Beat Liverpool on Sunday with a nice RVP brace to boot the papers will claim he was out of kilter due to being unsettled but now it's all sorted he's back amongst it and just how right they were. They can then move swiftly onto Suarez as the next high profile striker to sell stories for a few coins.

Tomalonge

Well in Robin. Cracking news, still should be dropped against the dippers though, just due to bad form though which is a relief.

I'll be honest, I thought he was on his way this summer.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
:lol:

I thought the exact same thing, its great to hear from Robin and great to hear him say he wants to stay and backing Moyes but we all know at the same time that players say they want to stay and then end of the following season or sooner they could be gone. Things change quickly sometimes but still, nice one Robin.

Blasphemy

Still think that while I'm glad to have Rooney and RVP playing them both up front is a hindrance to us getting back to the top of the PL. I really don't like Rooney as a number 10.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Besides him staying, this is great for the club in their transfer dealings in the summer...

Rooney signing a new deal, RVP coming out saying he's very happy and thinks Moyes is great, Mata signing....

These are all world class players, with reputations around the world. Both with the fans and their peers. It sounds out a strong message for future targets

soapythecat

Only heard this on the radio this morning. I really hope this is a turn around for both RVP and Moyes. I still think the relationship between the pair started out rocky but, if he is being honest here, RVP may have come around to Moyes methods, tactics and training - which can only be a positive for United.
Would be fantastic to see RVP play well this weekend - he needs a good performance to match his good stats.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I'm glad he wants to stay. It would have been stupid to let a player of his calibre leave during a period of rebuilding. With him and Rooney commiting I'm guessing they are happy with what Moyes is doing.

SambaBoy

Probably picked himself for the weekend with that interview now. Doubt he was ever going to be dropped but for the benefit of the team, it may have been the right choice.

Hopefully he can get his head down now and hit top form.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It would be nice if him and Rooney could actually form a half decent partnership rather than play like a couple of strangers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not really surprised that he want's to stay. At 30, with his long injury record I doubt that there would have been alot of clubs ready to pay what United would be asking for him especially since United tend not to sell to rival clubs.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Those quotes don't read like a PR-exercise at all.

PR exercises are usually blatantly obvious in that they are extremely bland, vague and give no insight or personality - just crap platitudes like "I'm concentrating on my football, I'm a Manchester United player and have X years on my contract, I'm being professional and ready to do whatever the manager asks" etc.

Not here. RVP has made an effort. Appears genuine to me.

Nathan

Definitely assists with the rumours that he is unhappy. Let him do his talking on the pitch where it belongs. Show all the fans that he is in it to win it.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Absolutely brilliant news. It'll be easier for us now to lure our new signings in summer, and if Moyes somehow manages to get him and Rooney working together, we will definitely be challenging for the league next season, and even more.

Will Absolute

Unless RvP is trying to set a new record in duplicity, that seems to be that. Strange when so many people think he's looked under-motivated this season.

With or without Moyes, it's good for United that we're not facing an exodus of top talent in the summer. It does leave us with the problem of how to accommodate both RvP and Rooney. But that's better than having neither, which seemed to be on the cards for awhile.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Listen to it in context if you'd like.
Nope, but if oppo fans want to win here hey need to be more subtle than you. The player, manager and mitten all said he's staying and you choose to post the word uncertain. I'm not debating with you, just giving you a heads up. It's not like we're short of dippers at the mo.