Van Persie: I want to stay

Brophs

The One and Only
For whatever it's worth, I think Andy Mitten's word being treated as gospel is a bit odd, given that he's gotten plenty wrong where United are concerned. The main difference between him and other journos, IMO, is that people are willing to accept that his information was good and something changed, or whatever. He seems a good guy with good contacts, but let's not kid ourselves here, he's said plenty of things that haven't come true.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Look, why don't people listen to the podcast themselves and make up their mind?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/united-stand-76-farm-frontman-3241602

RVP stuff starts at 28:00.

No idea where Barney got the hand on heart thing from. All Mitten says is that if you were to ask him if RVP will still be at the club next season, he jokingly(?) says yes but then says he doesn't know because RVP isn't happy Fergie left after one season after telling him he'd be at the club for the foreseeable future and he's not happy that he isn't the main man anymore. He does say that RVP hasn't been happy at times at the club, that there have been issues with the club, and also compares his situation to RVN's last days at the club.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Look, why don't people listen to the podcast themselves and make up their mind?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/united-stand-76-farm-frontman-3241602

RVP stuff starts at 28:00.

No idea where Barney got the hand on heart thing from. All Mitten says is that if you were to ask him if RVP will still be at the club next season, he jokingly(?) says yes but then says he doesn't know because RVP isn't happy Fergie left after one season after telling him he'd be at the club for the foreseeable future and he's not happy that he isn't the main man anymore. He does say that RVP hasn't been happy at times at the club, that there have been issues with the club, and also compares his situation to RVN's last days at the club.
Which is miles away from 'extremely uncertain' in context of what the player and manger said. If the player, manager and journo all say he is going to be here next year, I would say that is almost the opposite of extremely uncertain?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Great news if he genuinely does mean it, keeping both RvP and Rooney would be a big boost in these uncertain times.

I think it's clear that he has been unhappy this season but then again why wouldn't he be? The team is underperforming, he's had injury problems, he's been in poor enough form etc. Plus it's obviously a given that losing SAF was a big blow, particularly if (as reported) he was a massive part of why RvP joined. There's bound to be some doubts over Moyes too, the players are no less judgemental than we are.

It's always best to be sceptical when players declare their commitment to a club but in this case I'm a bit more willing to believe. For one thing it's a bit stronger than these statements normally tend to be. Plus even if he is exaggerating his love of Moyes there are still plenty of reasons for him to stay, massive wages being prime among them.

I'd guess he still has some issues with the way things are going but it looks as though they're not severe enough to see him leave. This can only be good news.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Which is miles away from 'extremely uncertain' in context of what the player and manger said. If the player, manager and journo all say he is going to be here next year, I would say that is almost the opposite of extremely uncertain?
Barney was wrong in saying 'extremely uncertain', not excusing that. He tried to paraphrase. And I'm not saying RVP is leaving this summer. I'm saying that RVP is not as happy as his statement makes him out to be, in context of just listening to that podcast. It's not fully a PR stunt by the club, but I do think some of the stuff in his statement has been carefully worded. But just because he might not be happy here doesn't mean he's leaving. His contract still has a long time to run and the ball is in the club's court.

Oldham

nice read, rvp is a special player and hopefully we'll see the best of him again now and for the next 2 years (or more).
He could go down in United history as one of top 3 striker along with Law and Cantona...(Best and Ronaldo more of wingers to me)

Rowem

gently, down the stream
nice read, rvp is a special player and hopefully we'll see the best of him again now and for the next 2 years (or more).
He could go down in United history as one of top 3 striker along with Law and Cantona...(Best and Ronaldo more of wingers to me)
Woah. He'd need another 3-4 truly unbelievable seasons to be ahead of RVN and Rooney.

Gladiator

For whatever it's worth, I think Andy Mitten's word being treated as gospel is a bit odd, given that he's gotten plenty wrong where United are concerned. The main difference between him and other journos, IMO, is that people are willing to accept that his information was good and something changed, or whatever. He seems a good guy with good contacts, but let's not kid ourselves here, he's said plenty of things that haven't come true.
like? just curious

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't understand why there's talk of a new contract. He's only been here a 1.5 years.

gasmanc

Banned
Dunno but there's always undervaluing once a player is due to enter the last year of a contract, 1.5 years of a 4 year job and it's discussion time, perhaps all good timing, would like to think he's just clearing the air but he must be looking for a lucrative deal now.

Oldham

Woah. He'd need another 3-4 truly unbelievable seasons to be ahead of RVN and Rooney.
I think he's a better player, agreed on he'll need to be brilliant for the next couple of seasons at least. Because of his ability he can be the difference between winning a league title or not, like some United legends as Ronaldo, Cantona...

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Our wage structure completely changed a few weeks ago.
Hardly. Rooney is on the same basic wages as before. The extra money comes from image rights and sponsorship deals, which United technically aren't paying him.

Ekeke

So why shouldnt he be paid as much as Rooney? Should he have left his contract to run down while speculation was rife and try to force a move to a premier league rival, is that what he needs to do to get a payday? Why not just score plenty and say he wants to stay for many years like Rooney should have done last summer.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
There isn't talk of a new contract. RVP says he hopes to stay beyond his current deal, Moyes says that's great he's sure the board will look at an extension.

He didn't say when, I'm sure it will happen in due course.

Caf blames Rooney for destroying the clubs wage structure.

Fannies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I don't think United will even consider contract talks any time soon. If anything, dependant on his fitness and form he'll only be offered a one year extension due to his age. Talks are not likely to start 18 months prior to present contract expiring.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
RvP is not someone who will be worth much in transfer fees once his present contract expires due to his age. There's absolutely no pressure on United to panic even if he goes into his final year without signing a new contract. I think he'd be a great asset to have around coaching young strikers once his career ends.

jem

Leave contract talks too late = United clueless
Tie Top Players down early = United Clueless

Whiney feckers.
It's amazing that anyone would not want the club to tie up RVP for another few years. The guy is absolute quality and we hardly have the luxury to be jettisoning quality players. It'd be amazing if he were to provide a timely reminder of that quality tomorrow.

Drummer

I don't know what to make of this public support of moyes.

• Perhaps moyes threatened to drop rvp and with World Cup coming up rvp towed the line
  • Or maybe moyes has grown on him and he now sees potential for significant improvement
Either way, it's a good positive strike for moyes, whatever he did to get the public backing of a player whom many have been using to beat moyes with a stick, it's very shrewd business.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I don't know what to make of this public support of moyes.

• Perhaps moyes threatened to drop rvp and with World Cup coming up rvp towed the line
  • Or maybe moyes has grown on him and he now sees potential for significant improvement
Either way, it's a good positive strike for moyes, whatever he did to get the public backing of a player whom many have been using to beat moyes with a stick, it's very shrewd business.
There is also the chance that RvP as he stated in his interview is sick of people telling everyone what he is supposedly thinking.

Drummer

There is also the chance that RvP as he stated in his interview is sick of people telling everyone what he is supposedly thinking.
He let this go on for months, why wait so long and what's changed?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He let this go on for months, why wait so long and what's changed?
Well he did state that he gives very few interviews. Also he did sit on a plane with Moyes so 2 possibilities there. Moyes put the hard word on him or they had a good heart to heart and got to understand eachother better. You choose which version fits what you want to be the truth.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
RVP is afraid of being dropped and that supporters are turning against him because of his disinterested attitutude and that interview about Rooney stealing his space on the pitch that can only be construed at criticism towards team mates and/or the manager. Only reason he comes out with this now.

Blasphemy

It's amazing that anyone would not want the club to tie up RVP for another few years. The guy is absolute quality and we hardly have the luxury to be jettisoning quality players. It'd be amazing if he were to provide a timely reminder of that quality tomorrow.
He's already tied up until June 2016. At the start of the 2016/17 season he'll be 33. You'll be hard pressed to find many examples of strikers good enough to start for a club who want to win Champions League titles at 33 years of age, Drogba was 34 when he did his thing in the UCL final for Chelsea but in terms of the season in general he was pretty passed it.

If we do want him after this contract it would be on significantly reduced wages.

We'd be mad to renew his deal this summer while his wage demands would still be that of a world class player when we have no need to protect our resale value (because he won't have any) and it's very likely that he won't be a world class player after his current deal ends.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's already tied up until June 2016. At the start of the 2016/17 season he'll be 33. You'll be hard pressed to find many examples of strikers good enough to start for a club who want to win Champions League titles at 33 years of age, Drogba was 34 when he did his thing in the UCL final for Chelsea but in terms of the season in general he was pretty passed it.

If we do want him after this contract it would be on significantly reduced wages.

We'd be mad to renew his deal this summer while his wage demands would still be that of a world class player when we have no need to protect our resale value (because he won't have any) and it's very likely that he won't be a world class player after his current deal ends.
Drogba was a much more physical player than van Persie is though, I can quite easily see van Persie dropping back as he gets older and performing a similar-ish role to Bergkamp. Bergkamp was 35 in his second last season at Arsenal and was still doing stuff like this:

Blasphemy

Drogba was a much more physical player than van Persie is though, I can quite easily see van Persie dropping back as he gets older and performing a similar-ish role to Bergkamp. Bergkamp was 35 in his second last season at Arsenal and was still doing stuff like this:

I think RVP still relies a lot on getting that yard of space from his marker so he can take a touch and slot it in the corner. He's not a striker who thrives on rebounds and goal mouth scrambles.

You could be right though and I wouldn't rule it out (although Bergkamp was a more intelligent and creative player than RVP has been so I don't think he'll be 35 and still able to run the show like him or Totti could), but I think it makes a lot more sense for the club to wait until January 2016 and see how it turns out. I'm pretty sure he won't be worth his current wages in 2016 even if he is more than good enough to add plenty to our side.

Another point on the him moving towards the Bergkamp role is that Bergkamp role doesn't really exist anymore at most clubs. People use number 10's who play a bit deeper and pack the midfield, not 10's like Baggio and Bergkamp who are second strikers. We're obviously one of the few clubs who do play that way but we might not be doing by 2016.

jem

Actually, what I should have said is that we would be crazy not to keep him for the duration of his current deal. Selling him on this summer would be crazy as it wouldn't exactly bolster our CL hopes for next season.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

prateik

You don't think the medical staff are employees of the club?
Its not like the entire medical staff went there. Why ask an injured player to come fly over for a routine check up for a day and then fly back when a couple of people can go over.