Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike09

His transfer made sense as we had so many injuries and if you don't want to trust in club's youth players.

Except it has not so far. You would expect him to be far more polished than he is right now. TFM and Tuanzebe could have done that.

We have 2 other good or even better ball playing defenders in Blind and Rojo as well.

His aerial ability is very concerning. He is pretty shit at it in fact. You can't play for a top club with that let alone EPL.

What is worrying is that I don't know if you can train to get better at it. I think it is one of those you either have it or you don't.

But, it is too early to say and all that.
Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Tuanzebe. 6 CB for two spots only. Even if we go for 3 at the back, that's enough for numbers too. TFM can also be the 7th. It doesn't make any sense why are we spending a lot of money on a player who is not above Jones, Smalling & Bailly in pecking orders & not trusting one youth player.

FromTheBench

How is he any better than Tuanzebe?

Jose has made a pointless signing in him it seems, and now will take time to accept.it.

Lentwood

What is especially odd about Lindelof is that he seems to just allow attackers to dictate to him. The first goal today was a classic example, instead of confronting Ince further up the pitch he backtracked until he was virtually in the 6-yard box! If this lad ever makes a PL CB I will eat my trainers

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What is especially odd about Lindelof is that he seems to just allow attackers to dictate to him. The first goal today was a classic example, instead of confronting Ince further up the pitch he backtracked until he was virtually in the 6-yard box! If this lad ever makes a PL CB I will eat my trainers
I think he got some tips from smalling, because that backing off move is textbook smalling. He's the opposite of Jones and Bailly who take the attacker head on and if they fail they foul them and get a yellow.

The United

Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind, Tuanzebe. 6 CB for two spots only. Even if we go for 3 at the back, that's enough for numbers too. TFM can also be the 7th. It doesn't make any sense why are we spending a lot of money on a player who is not above Jones, Smalling & Bailly in pecking orders & not trusting one youth player.
I know. But for a coach that does not want to use youth players, it makes sense for him.

But, so far evidently for us, not exactly.

Maybe he wanted to play 6 3 1 and it would certainly fit his playing mentality description : defensive coach. Jk

Ekeke

I was just going to say the same, he looks like Carrick when he's been called upon to play centreback, the one thing I noticed if he's that good with the ball at his feet why was Matic coming back to take the ball off him and the other defenders?
Probably a lack of confidence due to his slow uninspiring start to the season and new club. Its one thing to have the ability to use the ball well, but another thing to have the confidence and character to do it in a tight game. Plus thats how Matic is used to playing so would probably do it regardless of who is playing in defence

engulfing

I think he got some tips from smalling, because that backing off move is textbook smalling. He's the opposite of Jones and Bailly who take the attacker head on and if they fail they foul them and get a yellow.
Its because he has no pace. When you have pace you can push up and press the ball and hope the attacker botches the final pass. Maybe get close enough to foul. When you are slow you are afraid the ball carrier may just skin you and you won't even get near. That's why you should never sign centre backs who have no pace. No idea why we signed lindelof tbh.

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
Really, really, really wanted to give him a chance as players don't always settle in immediately, especially when there is a big jump in the quality of the league they play in.
However there is no excuse for the complete and utter cowardice that this guy shows every time the ball comes within 5 metres of him. He jumps out of the way of shots, he closes his eyes when trying to head the ball and so far for United he looks completely unsuited to being a PL centre back.

SteveW

Interesting how some Man Utd fans were eager for Smalling and/or Jones to be sold in the summer and wanted Lindelof starting. The former two have been great this season and Lindelof has maybe had one good match, against Benfica.
They're grossly underated

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
This transfer isn't looking good. He's been a disaster ever since he stepped foot on the pitch for us in pre-season. The only positive so far is that he has genuine talent with the ball at his feet. I'd really like him as a CB if he toughens up and and settles down.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its because he has no pace. When you have pace you can push up and press the ball and hope the attacker botches the final pass. Maybe get close enough to foul. When you are slow you are afraid the ball carrier may just skin you and you won't even get near. That's why you should never sign centre backs who have no pace. No idea why we signed lindelof tbh.
The strange thing about that is both Lindeloff and Smalling have quite a bit of pace for CBs.
So i think its actually the opposite. They have pace so they think they can wait for the attacker to make a move and cut them off. Slower players tend to be better at reading the game because they cant rely on apace as much.

engulfing

The strange thing about that is both Lindeloff and Smalling have quite a bit of pace for CBs.
So i think its actually the opposite. They have pace so they think they can wait for the attacker to make a move and cut them off. Slower players tend to be better at reading the game because they cant rely on apace as much.
Lindelof is slow. Smalling has pace. If you have pace if you push up and the ball is played through, you can sprint back to close down the ball and the angle. If you are slow you won't get back in time so you retreat. But as you retreat the ball gets closer to your goal and you have less space to work with once the ball is played thru. So no matter how slow you are at some point you must hold the line and make the player commit. Lindelof chose to do so too deep. Then he panicked.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lindelof is slow. Smalling has pace. If you have pace if you push up and the ball is played through, you can sprint back to close down the ball and the angle. If you are slow you won't get back in time so you retreat. But as you retreat the ball gets closer to your goal and you have less space to work with once the ball is played thru. So no matter how slow you are at some point you must hold the line and make the player commit. Lindelof chose to do so too deep. Then he panicked.
From his Benfica games, Lindeloff actually has decent pace.

His poor 1v1 defending was made up at Benfica by his pace which allowed him to make recovery tackles.

But whatever it is, he is absolutely shocking.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
From his Benfica games, Lindeloff actually has decent pace.

His poor 1v1 defending was made up at Benfica by his pace which allowed him to make recovery tackles.

But whatever it is, he is absolutely shocking.
I think his pace is average at best for the PL.

Stacks

His transfer made sense as we had so many injuries and if you don't want to trust in club's youth players.

Except it has not so far. You would expect him to be far more polished than he is right now. TFM and Tuanzebe could have done that.

We have 2 other good or even better ball playing defenders in Blind and Rojo as well.

His aerial ability is very concerning. He is pretty shit at it atm. You can't play for a top club with that let alone in EPL.

What is worrying is that I don't know if you can train to get better at it. I think it is one of those you either have it or you don't.

But, it is too early to say and all that.
I agree. but to be fair he has 1.5 seasons under his belt as a top pro.

Dobbs

I don't know if he's good, bad or just off form.

However it's telling that we're having to ease him in as if just last week he was working as an accountant.

I'd be amazed if a guy who basically wasn't trusted to play in the Prem at 23 becomes first choice at a club like United.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Once Rojo is back it will take a(nother) major injury crisis for him to play in the league again this season. He'd be 5th choice CB at best (I'd have him 7th behind Blind and Tuanzebe).

MAME DIOUF 32

A very strange signing. We already had four established Premier League centre backs with a maximum age of 27, a useful option in Blind and two very promising young players. The only sensible reason to sign another was to upgrade, but nothing Lindelof has done in his career so far indicates that he offers that. £35 million is crazy money to spend on a player who is unlikely to improve your team, let alone a downgrade on what you've got.

I'm not seeing any promise here. He'll spend next season on loan to a Portuguese or Spanish club and will be quietly sold at a massive loss after that.

izec

Had a mare today. Mourinho and the reaponsible scout(s) are to blame for wasting money on future deadwood we cant get rid of for a good fee

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Should never play for the club again. Loan him out in January then sell him in the Summer and recoup some of the money. He is 23 and we have 4 centre backs better than him and Blind. He won’t find a place in the squad when everyone is fit.

If Mourinho wants a defender to mold into his type of player then do that with Tuanzebe and Mensah.

We can’t afford to give him time to get better, we need players who can perform now. It was different with Vidic and Evra because they were still better than he is and there was room for them to improve because our squad was already great.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Is there a worse CB in the league in the air than him?

Give him time, but he's starting from such a low level of ability in the air I can't see him improving that weakness to a level good enough for United.

Buttner did better than he has so far.
It's not just in the air. He positionally poor by EPL standards. He waits...and waits...and waits...when the opposing player is driving at him. He doesn't trust his own ability as a defender.

Mike09

I know. But for a coach that does not want to use youth players, it makes sense for him.

But, so far evidently for us, not exactly.

Maybe he wanted to play 6 3 1 and it would certainly fit his playing mentality description : defensive coach. Jk
Surely there are defenders out there who are cheaper than Lindelof to be good enough for his 5th or 6th choice. Even Michael Keane is cheaper than him. It's just doesn't make any sense.

Mike09

IMO the manager has to take the blame for his performance. Mourinho admitted that Lindeloff wasnt ready for the PL, but instead if using Blind who is experienced in this league he put on Lindeloff. He took a massive risk with Lindeloff and it failed.
I think the manager has to take the blame for losing 3 points today. He had Blind on the bench and he took a gamble instead. It was the decision to play a player who isn't good enough. The performance of Lindelof has nothing to do with the manager.

The United

Surely there are defenders out there who are cheaper than Lindelof to be good enough for his 5th or 6th choice. Even Michael Keane is cheaper than him. It's just doesn't make any sense.
Well, tbf, we are saying it now coz the guy is not working out so far. He can still prove many of us wrong.

Also this notion that jose knows what he is doing in transfer market especially with defenders.

el3mel

I don't find any benefit from loaning him. Going on loan to another league won't make him suitable for our league, and all his mistakes are fundamental things that if not present from start will never be acquired. His forwardness in challenges or his heading aren't something I think a defender will develop later if he even misses the basics.

Just a failure of a signing. It happens from time to time anyway. Just sell him in summer and move on.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Yeah. I suspect he is at least 18 months away from hitting top PL standards, and that's fine, given his age and background.
In 18 months Bailly, Rojo, Tuanzebe and Smalling will still be on this roster. They are all probably going to be better in the air and on the ball DEFENSIVELY than him.

His signing smells like a cookie thrown to Mou because he wanted a guy from the Portugese league.

He's average to poor now, and he was slightly better than average in the league he played in previously. He's NOT a future starter on Man United.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In 18 months Bailly, Rojo, Tuanzebe and Smalling will still be on this roster. They are all probably going to be better in the air and on the ball DEFENSIVELY than him.

His signing smells like a cookie thrown to Mou because he wanted a guy from the Portuguese league.

He's average to poor now, and he was slightly better than average in the league he played in previously. He's NOT a future starter on Man United.
I agree with what you say, so find his signing very puzzling.

Also why throw him that cookie? And if he wanted a 'a guy from the Portuguese league' there are surely better players he could have chosen?

Mike09

Well, tbf, we are saying it now coz the guy is not working out so far. He can still prove many of us wrong.

Also this notion that jose knows what he is doing in transfer market especially with defenders.
Page 1:

Still first game of pre season. But I have confidence with Tuanzebe to challenge the XI spot. He looks very matured and composed already when I watched him last season.
Page 7:

Let's say if Lindelof might need time to settle in PL I can understand why since he's very young and came from a lower league. But I thought we signed him for first choice this season? If we want to give a defender time I would rather give it to Tuanzebe than spent a lot of money on a Lindelof. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for him to settle in.
I think we all know what we need to make it as priority right now is to improve our first choice XI not to improve our bench. We have plenty players who can play as a centre back options including Tuanzebe and Blind.
Page 8:

It's funny because we have 7 centre backs and the latest one that we bought is possible might need time to settle in. And we don't have a natural winger and also beside Carrick we don't actually have a natural holding midfielder. With the situation I have explained, it makes no sense why people thought we spent the money on Lindelof and overload our centre back option as an upgrade of Jones, Smalling or Rojo.
I have been saying this since July so it's not like I just said it now. Not being haters but the point is I don't see anything that make sense from this signing. We had plenty of CB options for 2 CB spots or 3 CB spots. We spent a lot of money for a centre back who needs more time and probably needs more time than a teenager like Tuanzebe. Every Jose signings from Bailly to Lukaku were making any sense apart from this one.

The United

Page 1:

Page 7:

Page 8:

I have been saying this since July so it's not like I just said it now. Not being haters but the point is I don't see anything that make sense from this signing. We had plenty of CB options for 2 CB spots or 3 CB spots. We spent a lot of money for a centre back who needs more time and probably needs more time than a teenager like Tuanzebe. Every Jose signings from Bailly to Lukaku were making any sense apart from this one.
Oh I am not arguing against you. I would prefer 'the kids' to be in that spot instead of him and use that money for a LB or a winger myself.

But for the sake of united, I do hope the guy become a massively good CB.

Mike09

Oh I am not arguing against you. I would prefer 'the kids' to be in that spot instead of him and use that money for a LB or a winger myself.

But for the sake of united, I do hope the guy become a massively good CB.
But still. I can't see any sense of signing a new centre back when we already have 6 exclude him. The only new centre back we should go is a first choice starter as an upgrade. Not adding another "backup" centre back when we have plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.