Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

How can you say that he's been consistently worse when he hasn't received lower ratings than his partner(s)?
50/50 isn't consistently anything, if you say 50/50 is consistently better I'll go the other 50% and say worse. He's had more crap games than good at United.

AndyJ1985

We'd be no worse without him. He's been okay at best and terrible at worst. Honestly can't figure out why he was bought when we're crying out for players in other positions.

deafepl

50/50 isn't consistently anything, if you say 50/50 is consistently better I'll go the other 50% and say worse. He's had more crap games than good at United.
You clearly have an agenda against Lindelof. He had few crap games - Huddersfield and perhaps Real Madrid games in USA, after that, he's outperforming than Smalling and Rojo at three back as he's been consistently good at three back, none of our defenders can complete with him at three back except Bailly. If we need to compete with Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern in defence, we need more good quality defenders in our squad depth.

SER19

We'd be no worse without him. He's been okay at best and terrible at worst. Honestly can't figure out why he was bought when we're crying out for players in other positions.
If we hadn't bought him we'd have Jones smalling and rojo to rely on fitness and form wise for the next three months. And there's a fair chance mourinho was considering a back three. And there further chance he'll improve as a player and prove a good buy

Ekeke

You clearly have an agenda against Lindelof. He had few crap games - Huddersfield and perhaps Real Madrid games in USA, after that, he's outperforming than Smalling and Rojo at three back as he's been consistently good at three back, none of our defenders can complete with him at three back except Bailly. If we need to compete with Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern in defence, we need more good quality defenders in our squad depth.
:lol:

Talking about other people's agendas

AndyJ1985

If we hadn't bought him we'd have Jones smalling and rojo to rely on fitness and form wise for the next three months. And there's a fair chance mourinho was considering a back three. And there further chance he'll improve as a player and prove a good buy
We would still have Blind and Tuanzebe if we got desperate for cover. If we were going to spend on a CB it should have been a proper top quality proven defender, not another young one who looks like a deer caught in headlights. Complete waste of money quite frankly. That £30m + whatever we had left in the budget would have been far better used on a CM as cover for Pogba, or a RW.

SER19

We would still have Blind and Tuanzebe if we got desperate for cover. If we were going to spend on a CB it should have been a proper top quality proven defender, not another young one who looks like a deer caught in headlights. Complete waste of money quite frankly. That £30m + whatever we had left in the budget would have been far better used on a CM as cover for Pogba, or a RW.
Van dijk maybe?

Agree to disagree on this I just can't definitively judge a players worth 4 months into their time at club

Red_toad

Yeah bud I clearly have an agenda :rolleyes:. He's a bit part player, who's generally been very underwhelming. I like your agenda against Smalling & Rojo it's so refreshing to see someone not following the crowd ;)

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
In the matches following Newcastle he's received a higher rating than his partners 50 % of the time and equal ratings 50 % of the time. Never a lower rating.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Here are the average (MEN) ratings for all five centre backs this season.

Jones: 6.63
Bailly: 6.57
Lindelöf: 6.00
Smalling: 5.96
Rojo: 5.17

Lindelöf have performed better than Rojo and Smalling. Bailly and Jones are ahead of him. Considering Lindelöf's recent good form odds are good that he will end this season with a pretty good rating.

Red_toad

In the matches following Newcastle he's received a higher rating than his partners 50 % of the time and equal ratings 50 % of the time. Never a lower rating.
Limited amount of games, limited reviews of performances i.e. 1 reporter who's all of a sudden is an expert on football. Sorry I'll go with what my eyes see. Thus far he's been poor overall. He may or may not make the grade here. Tbh I'd much rather have saved the cash and given Axel a go, as he's generally looked a quality player in everyone of his appearances in the first team.
But as he's here the jury is out on him, he's looked good on the ball in some games, he's generally looked slow, poor in the air and lacking in the aspect of defending. I'm happy you like him so much, good for you!

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Limited amount of games, limited reviews of performances i.e. 1 reporter who's all of a sudden is an expert on football. Sorry I'll go with what my eyes see. Thus far he's been poor overall. He may or may not make the grade here. Tbh I'd much rather have saved the cash and given Axel a go, as he's generally looked a quality player in everyone of his appearances in the first team.
But as he's here the jury is out on him, he's looked good on the ball in some games, he's generally looked slow, poor in the air and lacking in the aspect of defending. I'm happy you like him so much, good for you!
I accept your apology.

Santos J

Yeah he's been good, wish he'd be a bit more adventurous on the ball though because he has the ability

We need an rvn

he's done what has been asked of him and had a good game. It's the attacking players of the team that needs to be discussed and not why has he not been more adventurous as if he had done that then he'd been slated when we got hit on the counter attack

Santos J

he's done what has been asked of him and had a good game. It's the attacking players of the team that needs to be discussed and not why has he not been more adventurous as if he had done that then he'd been slated when we got hit on the counter attack
Not denying he's had a good game. It's the Lindelof thread that's why it's been mentioned here. Don't get the counter thing, I'm on about long balls because he's good with the ball not having a go up front for a bit.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Irrespective of how well he has done, he was a ludicrous signing given the type of players we needed.

Eugenius

He’s shite. Yes he might turn good but it was ridiculous to spend £30m on a CB who’s our 4th best for that position at best.

He’s so hesitant. In the first half he made Long look like Drogba in a routine situation where he had plenty of time to clear. A schoolboy moment in the second half where he let the ball bounce in his own box then messed up the clearing header. Doesn’t use his physicality well at all.

Classical Mechanic

He’s shite. Yes he might turn good but it was ridiculous to spend £30m on a CB who’s our 4th best for that position at best.

He’s so hesitant. In the first half he made Long look like Drogba in a routine situation where he had plenty of time to clear. A schoolboy moment in the second half where he let the ball bounce in his own box then messed up the clearing header. Doesn’t use his physicality well at all.
I’m confused as to the good reviews he gets too, he lost his man which resulted in Ward-Prowse nearly scoring too. He looks a5 mid table player to me.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pass marks with a few hairy moments that fortunately never came to anything. Hopefully grows from here as his use of the ball is good.

Festive Sandvich

Slower than Blind and not as good on the ball. He'd probably boss it in a dominant side seeing lots of the ball under little pressure, but he's a bit exposed the way things are at the moment.

Ekeke

Was okay today although he and De Gea had some really poor communication. He looked absolutely livid shouting at De Gea when he left the ball for him to come and collect and De Gea had no interest whatsoever.

Its games like today that having an expensive CB whos main quality is distribution should in theory help, breaking down solid units. I saw none of that today. But yes, he was okay defensively.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
I don't understand how anyone can criticize Lindelöf today. Man Utd allowed no goals despite having two offensive fullbacks not giving a lot of defensive support.

And you can't say it was luck like in the Arsenal match because Southampton had an xG of 0.85 so under 1 expected goal.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Was okay today although he and De Gea had some really poor communication. He looked absolutely livid shouting at De Gea when he left the ball for him to come and collect and De Gea had no interest whatsoever.

Its games like today that having an expensive CB whos main quality is distribution should in theory help, breaking down solid units. I saw none of that today. But yes, he was okay defensively.
Well I agree with you. Lindelöf needs to start contributing more offensively, and that shouldn't be a problem in a team like Man Utd that plays a lot of long balls. The question is whether this is down to Lindelöf or instructions from management.

Walters_19_MuFc

Few iffy moments, but overall I thought he was fine. He's actually pretty quick when he gets going.

That ball he played to Rashford was fantastic. Want to see more of that from him.

James Peril

A very average Premier League-stopper, without looking like he has any huge, hidden talent in him. A good way of telling a defender is good is by observing him being on the front or back of a player, he is very often under pressure and very often on the backfoot. As far away as they come from Rio Ferdinand, who most often was ahead of a player or a situation.

Leif GW

Decent player. That's it. Doesn't change anything for us in the larger scheme of things, though. Underwhelming that way.

dronesoul

See I don’t think his use of the ball is that great. He made one great pass to Rashford, is that enough to be classed as good on the ball?
No it's not enough. But it also isn't the only thing people are referring to when they say he's good on the ball. It's been said plenty of times before that pass so I don't really follow your argument.

In reality however, people call him good on the ball because he is (for a CB). He's proved that plenty of times before joining Manchester United.

Loublaze

ATLien
A very average Premier League-stopper, without looking like he has any huge, hidden talent in him. A good way of telling a defender is good is by observing him being on the front or back of a player, he is very often under pressure and very often on the backfoot. As far away as they come from Rio Ferdinand, who most often was ahead of a player or a situation.
He's been looking good recently but I have to agree. Definitely has a role to play here but the search for the ideal partner to Bailly goes on

Status
Not open for further replies.