Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Well, yeah of course it's important to be able to head the ball and stay fit - otherwise I wouldn't have said it? And for me, our other options aren't good enough and shouldn't be first choice here. Maybe I've been spoiled watching Pallister, Stam, Vidic, Rio etc down the years.
But that was my point, you said he won't be of Utd quality and I said who was that then? Your answer just reaffirms that. I think we have all been spoiled but I still think he has the qualities to be a top top CB. There are a lot of defenders but not so many that are comfortably with the ball. At the highest level, this is what separates the truly WC ones imo. I think his defending in the prem will improve over time.

notcool

Supports
a
I'm willing to give him time. He was okay yesterday. That slip could've happened to Maldini, it was unfortunate. No one mentions that Matic and Pogba were too slow to track back... stop looking for easy scapegoats guys.
I think it's because of the narrative around Lindelof, they just put the goal down to him being a (as they think) poor defender. Just like with Mourinho, he was blamed for parking the bus against Chelsea when that really wasn't the case.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't blame him for the goal that much, it can happen to anyone. Also, Yedlin got a free pass for that assist. But, @GifLord any chance to get a gif for that Newcastle chance in the last minute of the first half. I've seen defenders pull their arms before the shot, but never to run like that in the penalty box.

notcool

Supports
a
He slipped because he was trying to lunge for the ball. He had to lunge for the ball because his positioning was poor. His positioning was poor because he was ball watching and had no idea where the Newcastle players were.
Completely wrong. He slipped because he had to deal with the ball across the goal as well as the cut-back. He was positioned to deal with the former but had to pivot quickly to deal with the latter, which ended up with him slipping.

Foxbatt

Completely wrong. He slipped because he had to deal with the ball across the goal as well as the cut-back. He was positioned to deal with the former but had to pivot quickly to deal with the latter, which ended up with him slipping.
Spot on. He had to deal with two situations simultaneously. The cross should have never been allowed in the first place. I saw him play against Italy last week and he had a very solid game.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Probably a confidence issue and hasn't fully adapted to your team yet. Defenders need time to settle, after all. At the moment, he looks like your version of Lovren though.

Loublaze

ATLien
This. Hope he'll get better defensively soon. I'd rather pick him over Smalling any time.
Maybe he'd be a better number 10 (I jest) then because he hardly fills his teammates with confidence at the back. Im being patient with the guy and hope he comes good but he really needs to improve. He looks like a Liverpool defender

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Don't blame him for the goal that much, it can happen to anyone. Also, Yedlin got a free pass for that assist. But, @GifLord any chance to get a gif for that Newcastle chance in the last minute of the first half. I've seen defenders pull their arms before the shot, but never to run like that in the penalty box.

Devil81

The arms behind his back thing was really weird, I've noticed him doing something similar in previous games and for Sweden.

I'm not 100% sure he's the man for United, obviously, he's got time on his hands but he's so nervous it makes you wonder if the clubs to big for him.

poacher

Or Jonathan Tah? :wenger:
Yep Jonathan Tah would be awesome especially at his release clause price of 22m but I didn't mention him because in the past I mentioned him so often that people think I am actually Jonathan Tah :D You know what's funny, in all my years of being a Manchester United supporter we have never once brought in a player that I advocated for. My head would probably explode if we got either Laporte, Tah, Jorginho, Savic, Fekir, Leon Bailey, Fabinho but I can't see it happening. Instead, I fully expect Rose and Bale to join Luke Shaw and Lindelof at United. I love the club but some of our transfers have been pretty poor.

Kapardin

The amount of vitriol he and his gf get on social media is sad. Especially since they seem pretty cool and laid-back people.

I am not convinced that he will make it here myself, but there's no need to abuse a player when he's trying to do his best for the club. Its' not as though he's not trying. Criticism is fine, but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

And he was not even the prime culprit for the first goal anyway.

Norris

Wow.. this place. Some people have already decided he is shit and is not of United Quality. Give him some time ffs.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Spot on. It should've been the midfielders job to track Gayle's run, Lindelof slipped because he had to quickly change his trajectory. He shouldn't have slipped but I don't think it's a guarantee that he'd have reached there as somehow Gayle found a lot of space.

AgentP

I think he is growing in confidence now. But it will take him a year to adapt completely to the premier league. I can see him improving like Rojo did.

T A

It's fine tbh. I have faith in Jose's massive eyes of accurately chosing central defender. Carvalho, Lucio, Varane, plus Bailly ourself... many precedences stand for Lindelof's case. It's not a matter of right or wrong, just the question of time

marlowe78

Wow.. this place. Some people have already decided he is shit and is not of United Quality. Give him some time ffs.
The problem is, where and when do you give him the time. Expectations of the club are very high ATM so it's in no position to risk points by playing defenders who are struggling.

That goal on Saturday wasn't all Lindelof's fault, naturally, the whole team went out of shape and you can blame at least 3 or 4 other players. He did have a chance to make a last-ditch tackle or block - it seemed like he panicked and wanted to move in several different directions at one time but ended up falling. I'm not trying to write him off but it looks like someone who's a bit overawed by the job. I don't know what the problem is, exactly, because when playing for Sweden he's absolutely fine.

Has anyone actually seen him play as a MF or LB? I thought we could try playing him at another position in a less important game like League Cup or the last CL group match to see how he does in a role with somewhat less pressure. I haven't watched him in league matches before, so I don't know.

Bwuk

I wouldn't blame him for the slip, and he put in a good ball for Lukaku who should of done better with it.

Andersons Dietician

If we wanted a ball playing CB we should have got Aymeric Laporte. Laporte can peel off 30 to 40m passes with ease and unlike Lindelof can actually defend. Not sure why we purchased a project player like Lindelof when we could have got an experienced first team player like Laporte. He's also 23 so could have played for us for the next decade.
I don’t know why he isn’t spoke about as much as a lot of the others as I’ve been a fan for years and some of his displays against Barca in particular have been incredible. His wars with Messi as well.
I would have thought he is destined for City and probably the only reason it didn’t already happen was that he broke his ankle just before Peps first window when the speculation was at its peak. If I recall correctly he has not long signed a new contract with a new buyout which is around 70mil. So i’d Guess that is a reason maybe.

Also reports Real were sniffing around in the summer and that Barca have a long standing intrest. For me he’s a stronger more robust version of Stones who is probably naturally just a better defender. How he isn’t already in the French team is a mystery to me but it’s not like they are short on options.

Norris

The problem is, where and when do you give him the time. Expectations of the club are very high ATM so it's in no position to risk points by playing defenders who are struggling.
At a club like United you are always going to get chances. There is no doubt in that, be it due to unfortunate injuries or suspensions or as a result of the usual squad rotation. Furthermore, Lindeloff is a Jose signing. He may know what kind of personality Lindeloff is and accordingly give him the right motivation (be it through public or private mediums). Look at how Mkhi returned back into Jose's good books last season after a disastrous premier league debut. And Mkhi was a 28 year old at his peak.

He'll get his chances. I think this season, especially in the premier league, I can see him being used whenever we play 3 at the back.

RedDevil@84

How many non-British defenders have been good or awesome in recent times in first season in PL?
Bailly??

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Sakho was pretty okay for liverpool in his first season was he not?

Jeffthered

Give the guy time. Many United defenders have had difficult starts to their career, and developed into top players.

poacher

I don’t know why he isn’t spoke about as much as a lot of the others as I’ve been a fan for years and some of his displays against Barca in particular have been incredible. His wars with Messi as well.
I would have thought he is destined for City and probably the only reason it didn’t already happen was that he broke his ankle just before Peps first window when the speculation was at its peak. If I recall correctly he has not long signed a new contract with a new buyout which is around 70mil. So i’d Guess that is a reason maybe.

Also reports Real were sniffing around in the summer and that Barca have a long standing intrest. For me he’s a stronger more robust version of Stones who is probably naturally just a better defender. How he isn’t already in the French team is a mystery to me but it’s not like they are short on options.
I have been a huge fan of Laporte since he was 18/19. I wanted us to sign him when is release clause was around 16m. The guy is the prototype of a modern CB. He is fantastic at bringing out the ball from the back and has a fantastic pass and has great positional sense. I can't believe one of the earlier posters didn't rate Laporte but thought Lindelof was going to be a great defender. Laporte at 70m euro or 64m GBP is expensive but you are getting a top-notch ball-playing defender that's still young enough to have a decade left in him.

What do you think of Jonathan Tah? I really rate the kid and he has a rumoured release clause of just 22m. The guy is seriously talented and a physical beast. CFs might be able to overpower Lindelof but there's no way they could overpower this kid.

moodyred

The arms behind his back thing was really weird, I've noticed him doing something similar in previous games and for Sweden.

I'm not 100% sure he's the man for United, obviously, he's got time on his hands but he's so nervous it makes you wonder if the clubs to big for him.
Yah. I really do not like the hand behind the back thingy. It is unnatural and probably slows down a defender's reflexes and puts him off-balance.

prtk0811

What because of his arms behind his back?

That's done to avoid a handball from the shot.

prtk0811

I want him to start again With smalling in Ucl and then rojo get some minutes too , the more he plays the more confidence he'll develop.

Trizy

Yah. I really do not like the hand behind the back thingy. It is unnatural and probably slows down a defender's reflexes and puts him off-balance.
What? :lol: If you're closing down a man who is about to cross but you're not close enough yet to make a tackle then arms behind the back is a good thing to do. It's a common football thing to do, it completely stops you from handballing the ball.

Also since you're not touch tight, it won't put you off balance.

Andersons Dietician

What do you think of Jonathan Tah? I really rate the kid and he has a rumoured release clause of just 22m. The guy is seriously talented and a physical beast. CFs might be able to overpower Lindelof but there's no way they could overpower this kid.
I’ve only seen him in 1 or 2 games so can’t really comment. Seemed pretty decent. I do have faith that Lindelof will settle and will do well for the club tho. He wasn’t this nervy at Benfica so eventually I expect to see he and Bailly as our first choice CB’s.

Treble

Lindelöf is talented but needs time. He will look way better towards the end of the season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I want him to start again With smalling in Ucl and then rojo get some minutes too , the more he plays the more confidence he'll develop.
Agreed - we need to persist and hope he comes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.