Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe he needs to become a skinhead again? Seems his best form at Benfica was with no hair. He needs to channel his inner Vidic.

Return of the Manc

He looks like a man that would be suited to a back three rather than 2 at the back

Like luiz
Came in to say exactly this
Blind is a better CB for a back 3- We saw what he did for defenders like Smalling who tend to be more rash defenders; he could make a defender like Bailey,smalling or Rojo beside him give that extra bit of stability playing in a back 3 - because he is calm, composed, thinks before moving, has passing ability and likes to dribble in to free space in to midfield.

Not only would Blind help the CB's that play around him- Defenders like Bailey, Rojo, Smalling would help Blind give him the extra stability to dictate the game more and move in to midfield occasionally either to defend further forward or to attack the deeper spaces.

It is the reason I do not want Blind gone- not only is Lindelof significantly worse; I feel that most managers who are less biased to a type of physicality that Jose looks for would utilise blind for his ball playing capabilities aswell as him being possibly past of the best defensive partnership within the last 3-4 years.

Be a shame if Blind is sold to give Lindelof more time to do nothing.

Ardis

To me, it's quite obvious that he has a hard time against your typical, brain-dead kick-and-rush mid-low table English squad, whereas he is solid against good, tactical continental teams in the CL. Maybe he should have gone to Juventus, that would have suited him more, I believe.

NinjaFletch

Me too. There's been glimpses of him being decent on the ball but only glimpses. Just like the glimpses of him being a decent defender. We'll have to hope for a massive improvement in every aspect of his game by next season. Which is definitely possible. Disappointing debut season all the same.
That's the most baffling thing for me. In that game against Huddersfield when he came on and was responsible for giving away two goals he at least looked like he could actually pass the ball and was responsible for a few really quality balls in to the strikers.

It was an absolutely disastrous performance, but at least you could see something there and some sense of what he might be able to add with the ball at his feet if he could get to grips with the defensive requirements on him.

Since then there's been virtually nothing, he's never had quite as poor a defensive game as that, but he's hardly shown anything to suggest that he's anything other than a thoroughly average player in every department. Maybe it's become a confidence thing and he needs more time to settle down, but it's definitely not a good sign when I think that the comparisons to Jonny Evans are unfair on Evans.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Blind is a better CB for a back 3- We saw what he did for defenders like Smalling who tend to be more rash defenders; he could make a defender like Bailey,smalling or Rojo beside him give that extra bit of stability playing in a back 3 - because he is calm, composed, thinks before moving, has passing ability and likes to dribble in to free space in to midfield.

Not only would Blind help the CB's that play around him- Defenders like Bailey, Rojo, Smalling would help Blind give him the extra stability to dictate the game more and move in to midfield occasionally either to defend further forward or to attack the deeper spaces.

It is the reason I do not want Blind gone- not only is Lindelof significantly worse; I feel that most managers who are less biased to a type of physicality that Jose looks for would utilise blind for his ball playing capabilities aswell as him being possibly past of the best defensive partnership within the last 3-4 years.

Be a shame if Blind is sold to give Lindelof more time to do nothing.
Agree. Don't see anything he has over Blind but plenty that Blind is easily better at. Unfortunately, Blind won't get the same chances.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think one of the biggest problems with the team at the moment is the ball playing qualities of our central defenders. Despite having so much freedom to move forward with the ball they're just passing easy balls to one another. Playing too safe. They should be intelligent and competent enough to exploit the space and be able to take oppositions front players out of the game. This then allows our midfield players more freedom.

I was under the impression Lindelof was our ball playing saviour at the back. Unfortunately, this has not been the case in the matches we've witnessed. Then again, Bailly, when he first arrived was very good on the ball and he also started playing safe as the season went on. Even De Gea could play a pass in the past but has not done so over the last few seasons.

Could it be instructions from the coaches to play safe, or lack of confidence? It's definitely lack of ball playing ability with Smalling.
I really think this is the essence of our problems this season for the past two or three seasons. It's too easy to force our defenders to go long. I think Lindelof was bought with a view to improving this and he has shown flashes of ability on the ball but his confidence hasn't recovered from the Huddersfield disaster. I expect 4 or 5 new defenders to be signed this summer. I don't think many of the current crop make the grade.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I really think this is the essence of our problems this season for the past two or three seasons. It's too easy to force our defenders to go long. I think Lindelof was bought with a view to improving this and he has shown flashes of ability on the ball but his confidence hasn't recovered from the Huddersfield disaster. I expect 4 or 5 new defenders to be signed this summer. I don't think many of the current crop make the grade.
Wouldn't get your hopes up, 1 or 2 at the most. 4 or 5 defenders of United quality would be around £200m

A-man

There is a lot of drama here.

First everybody was talking about how great it will be when Rojo comes back. A man with muscles and no fear. He came back, did not perform up to expectations and got injured and people wanted to sell him.

Jones had some good games, but then two poor ones and he went from loved to hated. Sell him. And why doesn’t Lindelöf play? We need him on the pitch!

Now Lindelöf has had some good games (actually 9 full matches in a row without United losing) and makes one poor game, not a disaster, but poor. Sell him! We need Rojo and Jones! And Bailly! And Smalling had another bad game, get rid of him, too! And why doesn’t Blind play, he is fantastic!

Memory is short, always wanting to change. But the fact is that the hated Center backs of Manchester United are the main defence in PL second team, with only 22 conceded goals in 29 PL matches. Only City is (slightly) better in that sense. It is quite good, especially considering that they have been alternating the CB pair all the time. And it’s not all DDG, the CBs have been pretty good defensively. They are not Real Madrid material, but they are well in class with the level of Manchester United as among the 30 best teams in Europe.

Reactions: Sultan

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wouldn't get your hopes up, 1 or 2 at the most. 4 or 5 defenders of United quality would be around £200m
Ok, maybe I hope for rather than expect 4 or 5 because that's what we need to really compete.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'd still be willing for us to give him so more time. He's improved quite a bit from the shambles earlier in the season and yesterday would have been a new challenge for him to overcome and learn from.

Return of the Manc

First everybody was talking about how great it will be when Rojo comes back. A man with muscles and no fear. He came back, did not perform up to expectations and got injured and people wanted to sell him.

Jones had some good games, but then two poor ones and he went from loved to hated. Sell him. And why doesn’t Lindelöf play? We need him on the pitch!

Now Lindelöf has had some good games (actually 9 full matches in a row without United losing) and makes one poor game, not a disaster, but poor. Sell him! We need Rojo and Jones! And Bailly! And Smalling had another bad game, get rid of him, too! And why doesn’t Blind play, he is fantastic!

Memory is short, always wanting to change. But the fact is that the hated Center backs of Manchester United are the main defence in PL second team, with only 22 conceded goals in 29 PL matches. Only City is (slightly) better in that sense. It is quite good, especially considering that they have been alternating the CB pair all the time. And it’s not all DDG, the CBs have been pretty good defensively. They are not Real Madrid material, but they are well in class with the level of Manchester United as among the 30 best teams in Europe.
Well its not that simple. It's not the fact that Jones is bad, Rojo is bad, that smalling is bad. Our defensive partnerships have been poor. Best ones have been Bailey & Rojo and Blind & Smalling. Lindelof has not come close- his good games have led to goals; not clean sheets - he is being widley overrated. The thread of "lindelof looking the part" is indication of this; he had not looked the part. He might have not made mistakes but he hasnt exactly stopped us conceding goals has he? When he becomes a defender who stops us conceding goals; thats when he will look like a fundamental part of this team.

There is a reason why people want to see him with Bailly- Because he is our best defender and want to see if he can form a partnership with him. If he cant; like lindelof has struggled to do with every single defender thus far; he isnt good enough for us.

Sylar

Dont disagree with any of what youre saying regarding Blind. im surprised we havent seen him a bit more (havent even heard much about him unless hes been injured). I think if Rojo is out, he seems the best bet to play as LCB.

A-man

Well its not that simple. It's not the fact that Jones is bad, Rojo is bad, that smalling is bad. Our defensive partnerships have been poor. Best ones have been Bailey & Rojo and Blind & Smalling. Lindelof has not come close- his good games have led to goals; not clean sheets - he is being widley overrated. The thread of "lindelof looking the part" is indication of this; he had not looked the part. He might have not made mistakes but he hasnt exactly stopped us conceding goals has he? When he becomes a defender who stops us conceding goals; thats when he will look like a fundamental part of this team.

There is a reason why people want to see him with Bailly- Because he is our best defender and want to see if he can form a partnership with him. If he cant; like lindelof has struggled to do with every single defender thus far; he isnt good enough for us.
I agree the defensive partnership could be better, even though 22 goals/29 matches is pretty good. Constantly forming new pairs isn't good. Also, there is poor cooperation between midfield and the CB, both offensively and defensively. I think this is a major problem for the whole team.

I would really like to see him with Bailly, too, even though they would have been totally dominated in the air yesterday.

What I don't agree with, is that he wouldn't be close to Rojo/Blind. I admit I am a bit coloured, as i like Lindelöf's way of playing, but I would say he is better player than them. However, I have started to hesitate if United was the best club for him. Some of his qualities don't not show here. It seems like Mourinho has forbidden the CBs to move forward with the ball further than the first third of the pitch and also there is no movement at all for the CB to pass through the opponents' midfield.

I don't really see what you mean with not stopped conceding goals.
He had some poor games early season, but improved and he just had a 6 clean sheets strike that was broken in the 2-1 victory against Chelsea. And his stats overall are decent. United have not lost a single PL or CL game with him in the starting XI, and overall they lost two with him as a sub (City and Huddersfield) and one game in the EFL cup.

LoneStar

The only ‘advantage’ that Lindelof is supposed to have over the other defenders is his ball playing ability. I am yet to see this from him at United. The best word to describe him would be average. This is turning out to be a pointless signing, we should have signed a fullback instead.

LoneStar

This is kind of the point. We already have 4 decent CBs. Why buy another who is again average/decent ? We could have played Tuanzabe or TFM instead, for rotation purposes. Especially given the fact that we desperately need(ed) fullbacks.

El Pasillo

Ehem... do you really that Manchester United would concede 22 goals in 29 PL matches without David de Gea?

A stat from OPTA few weeks ago.

14 - David de Gea has conceded 19 Premier League goals this season, but based on Opta xG data for the shots on target he's faced, the average goalkeeper would have been expected to concede 33 goals. This is the biggest differential by a PL goalkeeper in 2017-18. Exceptional.

Manchester United's defence in front of DDG has been nothing short but absolutely fecking disaster for consistently leaking chances and being routinely bailed out by the best GK in the world. Only last night, DDG made a terrific save that would've ended up a 3-2 goal for Crystal Palace. DDG has been comfortably the best player for Manchester United during post-SAF era. Without DDG at the back, I genuinely don't think that the club wouldn't even be a contester for a top 4 spot in EPL and I'm probably not alone with that POV.

simpandenstore

Ehem... do you really that Manchester United would concede 22 goals in 29 PL matches without David de Gea?

A stat from OPTA few weeks ago.

14 - David de Gea has conceded 19 Premier League goals this season, but based on Opta xG data for the shots on target he's faced, the average goalkeeper would have been expected to concede 33 goals. This is the biggest differential by a PL goalkeeper in 2017-18. Exceptional.

Manchester United's defence in front of DDG has been nothing short but absolutely fecking disaster for consistently leaking chances and being routinely bailed out by the best GK in the world. Only last night, DDG made a terrific save that would've ended up a 3-2 goal for Crystal Palace. DDG has been comfortably the best player for Manchester United during post-SAF era. Without DDG at the back, I genuinely don't think that the club wouldn't even be a contester for a top 4 spot in EPL and I'm probably not alone with that POV.
The midfield can't even help the defenders either. Pogba does nothing to help, Matic can be invincible and slow, Mctominay who does absolutely nothing. I cannot blame the defenders all the time when we have a midfield who cant run back to cover or help in many situations. They miss to mark a player all the time. I think the insecurity lays in the middle of the pitch.

AkaAkuma

The last 20 minutes at palace is an example of his confidence in passing and bring the ball out of defense. I think over the next year he will become more dependable, but doe need to develop his defensive game.

Alabaster Codify7

He's turd. He offers nothing that Blind doesn't, apart from being about 2inches taller than Daley. Blind is a better CB than him and even better on the ball, plus he's naturally left-footed.

Lindelof is our worst CB, comfortably.

Jacci

He's turd. He offers nothing that Blind doesn't, apart from being about 2inches taller than Daley. Blind is a better CB than him and even better on the ball, plus he's naturally left-footed.

Lindelof is our worst CB, comfortably.
Yeah, that’s why he’s given a chance while Blind isn’t.

Return of the Manc

Yeah, that’s why he’s given a chance while Blind isn’t.
Blind isn't playing not because he is a cr*p CB - its because Jose has preferences on how things are done.
Blind was a very good central defender for us; bringing the best out of smalling & has the ability to make defenders like bailly even better than he currently is because Blind is the type of defender who has the abilities and capabilities that alot of our other defenders do not have.

Blind has been vanished from the team as a CB- replaced by an expensive nobody in Lindelof; all because it is not 'Jose's type of central defender', It is the same way that there is no chance, rashford, martial to get a chance upfront; because that is not his type of CF. Strength is important to him more than things like composure on the ball and general team link up play.

criticalanalysis

Blind isn't playing not because he is a cr*p CB - its because Jose has preferences on how things are done.
Blind was a very good central defender for us; bringing the best out of smalling & has the ability to make defenders like bailly even better than he currently is because Blind is the type of defender who has the abilities and capabilities that alot of our other defenders do not have.

Blind has been vanished from the team as a CB- replaced by an expensive nobody in Lindelof; all because it is not 'Jose's type of central defender', It is the same way that there is no chance, rashford, martial to get a chance upfront; because that is not his type of CF. Strength is important to him more than things like composure on the ball and general team link up play.
I won't write off Lindeloff just yet but absolutely agree with you about Blind.

Blind is like Mata in the defensive positions but arguably more effective. I would have him in my team more times than not. A really underrated player for us and it's a damn shame, Mourinho just prefers a different type of player and formation that suits our technical ones (Herrera, Blind, Mata, Shaw etc).

Return of the Manc

I won't write off Lindeloff just yet but absolutely agree with you about Blind.

Blind is like Mata in the defensive positions but arguably more effective. I would have him in my team more times than not. A really underrated player for us and it's a damn shame, Mourinho just prefers a different type of player and formation that suits our technical ones (Herrera, Blind, Mata, Shaw etc).
I had talked about it with another fan before- the fact that Blind had a partnership with smalling because they matched each others strengths and weaknesses quite well. This is something we see is required particularly when we see Jones & Smalling together - there is no cohesion.

It's a shame about Blind because its not just your or me who would have him in our teams - a team that wants to play either possesion, counter attacking or a combination of both will find significant use in him. He is someone through analysis is a great player but by just watching the game he plays; maybe a little hard to appreciate to some.

I said it in the ' which midfielder to free pogba' thread where someone mentioned the youngster Frenkie De Jong - a young CDM who has been told to drop deep in to CB & play a midfielders job from there.

That is the type of CB that is required if we are playing a 352 & Blind is one of the few that can play a CDM role deep as a CB. I just have not seen that type of ability from Lindelof ever since he has been here & when watching him at benfica - he seemed to me a promising CB; but similair to every other CB we had including tuenzebe & not any different - definetly not better than the deep ball playing defender that Blind could be.

Personally hope blind is injured so nobody buys him off in the summer :(. He is the type of player that we would regret letting go if our tactics would change.

Jaybomb

I think he should be loaned out next season. We should go all out for a marquee CB like Varane or Alderweireld.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Lindelof was not good this game, but how can he be blamed for the two goals?
He can’t be blamed for any of the goals. He should have blocked Townsend’s goal more bravely but it’s basically a reflex to turn your face away in that situation. I doubt any other defenders would’ve reacted differently, save for those with very weak reaction time. It’s just how defending has developed. Very few center backs are self sacrificing like say Chiellini. In the end they don’t want their pretty face messed up.

Return of the Manc

This Blind love-fest. Talk about overrated
No buddy- the 30 million defender who has ' started to look the part' is overrated. His good performances have been leaking goals left right and centre as a team with minimal clean sheets. His performances are deemed to be good simply because he does not trip overhimself anymore ( think he started again last game to be fair). Blind on the other hand has played in our cup finals and has more than 'looked the part' throughout the season & has been part of either our best or second best central defensive partnership post SAF.

If you do not rate him- then that it is fine; im not going to convince you that you are under-rating him. However you telling people that he is being over-rated is a delusional mess due to the performances of the player in the past in comparison to the players performance page we are on now. Blind might not be your type of CB; just as much as it is not Mourinho's - you and him would prefer the likes of lukaku upfront in comparison to martial & rashford; I guess - who are technically superior. Each to their own understanding of football & the way they want to see football being played I guess. You would have likely gone for Lindelof too to add a 5th CB over Blind and tuenzebe.

Trizy

I think he found his level in Portugal. He's hailed as a ball playing CB but he's not even outstanding at that.

Harry Maguire would've been a better buy and better than him in every department. Almost 6.4'' and 100kg, he'd do the bullying, unlike Lindelof.

Loublaze

ATLien
According to Squawka Lindelof has attempted the least forward passes out of our CBs and he also has the shortest average length of passes. Ball playing CB indeed!

Ole90+3

According to Squawka Lindelof has attempted the least forward passes out of our CBs and he also has the shortest average length of passes. Ball playing CB indeed!
People are kidding themselves on if they think Lindelof has been playing as a ball playing CB for us. Do I think he could play this role? Yes. Has he been? No. In fact he played pretty well as a RB which obviously has more offensive duties which makes me believe he'd be ideal playing as a CB with the freedom to bring the ball forward. See Chiellini last night. I thought he played wonderful, almost the perfect CB performance.

It's not just Lindelof who fails to recognise the yards of space that the opposition gives our CBs. It's extremely frustrating to watch. Exploiting that space brings an attacker out of the game when they are forced to close the CB down.

Litch

Still too early to tell and this 'he's good and then he's bad' is pretty much consistent on here with every player except DDG. Some players just have the vultures circling waiting for them to have a bad performance but disappear when they don't. Not even sure Palace constitutes a bad performance.....?

Loublaze

ATLien
People are kidding themselves on if they think Lindelof has been playing as a ball playing CB for us. Do I think he could play this role? Yes. Has he been? No. In fact he played pretty well as a RB which obviously has more offensive duties which makes me believe he'd be ideal playing as a CB with the freedom to bring the ball forward. See Chiellini last night. I thought he played wonderful, almost the perfect CB performance.

It's not just Lindelof who fails to recognise the yards of space that the opposition gives our CBs. It's extremely frustrating to watch. Exploiting that space brings an attacker out of the game when they are forced to close the CB down.
I concur.

simpandenstore

He can’t be blamed for any of the goals. He should have blocked Townsend’s goal more bravely but it’s basically a reflex to turn your face away in that situation. I doubt any other defenders would’ve reacted differently, save for those with very weak reaction time. It’s just how defending has developed. Very few center backs are self sacrificing like say Chiellini. In the end they don’t want their pretty face messed up.
True. The first goal maybe be should be more brave, but the second? I've seen people blaming him for that. Van Aanholt wasnt even his man, he wasnt even close to the freekick situation.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No buddy- the 30 million defender who has ' started to look the part' is overrated. His good performances have been leaking goals left right and centre as a team with minimal clean sheets. His performances are deemed to be good simply because he does not trip overhimself anymore ( think he started again last game to be fair). Blind on the other hand has played in our cup finals and has more than 'looked the part' throughout the season & has been part of either our best or second best central defensive partnership post SAF.

If you do not rate him- then that it is fine; im not going to convince you that you are under-rating him. However you telling people that he is being over-rated is a delusional mess due to the performances of the player in the past in comparison to the players performance page we are on now. Blind might not be your type of CB; just as much as it is not Mourinho's - you and him would prefer the likes of lukaku upfront in comparison to martial & rashford; I guess - who are technically superior. Each to their own understanding of football & the way they want to see football being played I guess. You would have likely gone for Lindelof too to add a 5th CB over Blind and tuenzebe.
You are seriously overhyping Blind who when played in defence was at least a goal a game hence the reason he got dropped. Nothing to do with style for Jose who has played with ball playing centre backs before. You are coming over as a football snob in your post buddy we all want good technical players and they don’t all have to be as gifted as Rio or Scholes on the ball if they have other attributes but they need to be better than say Smalling on the ball or physically more able than Blind.

el3mel

It's true that Lindelof is yet to show what he has here, however, the love fest and overrating some have for Blind is mental. This overhype will end once these posters see the kind of teams he will play for once he leaves, which won't be anything higher than a top 4 Serie A team. I guess these are mostly LVG fans anyway.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Despite being a bit of flop, we may as well keep him for another season seeing as though we would be lucky to get half back what we paid for him.

Kapardin

It's true that Lindelof is yet to show what he has here, however, the love fest and overrating some have for Blind is mental. This overhype will end once these posters see the kind of teams he will play for once he leaves, which won't be anything higher than a top 4 Serie A team. I guess these are mostly LVG fans anyway.
I agree, Blind is a crap player whose sometimes pretty passing that leads to nothing fools everyone.

I assume Lindelof will be on the market the summer after next. He definitely does not add anything to the team that we don't already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.