Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's been fine this season. Last night he definitely looked rusty and uncharacteristically flustered. It's unfair to paint that as a typical performance though.
I'd say across the years he's been here, the good sample is definitely a LOT smaller than the bad.

Don't get me wrong at times he can play well, but there's just far too much stupid shit he does to go along with it.

It just makes me laugh that he made 2 pretty huge errors and the first thing in this thread is "played well, gg" :lol: If Bailly or Maguire made the same mistakes their threads would be bumping by now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd say across the years he's been here, the good sample is definitely a LOT smaller than the bad.

Don't get me wrong at times he can play well, but there's just far too much stupid shit he does to go along with it.

It just makes me laugh that he made 2 pretty huge errors and the first thing in this thread is "played well, gg" :lol: If Bailly or Maguire made the same mistakes their threads would be bumping by now.
Tbf I thought this about Varanes fluffed clearance that went to opposition who then took a shot aswell.

I wonder what people would say if that was Maguire who fluffed their clearance.

Craig Ward

Standard Lindelof performance. Ok-ish at best.

Dallied on the ball, fluffed a few clearances. Gave away a clear chance by being static.

The most individually error prone CB we've had - will always give a chance away

TSE123

Absolutely awful on the ball last night.

Punted it out of the touchline for no reason, fannied around on the ball under pressure then passed it straight to their midfield.

For the so called 'ice man' and being a ball playing defender, he sure does wilt under pressure.

Covid though...
First half was not his best. Second half your comment is completely wrong. Him and Varane are both very comfortable with the ball at their feet and are both able to pass under pressure. Which they actually did on a few occasions yesterday (key to build up play!).
You are letting your already-made-up-mind cloud your judgement!

Dallied on the ball, fluffed a few clearances. Gave away a clear chance by being static.

Your whole post and especially the finishing sentence is madness. Yesterday he looked a but rusty. BUT have you watched any other games this season? Lindelof, De Gea and Varane (when fit) have been pretty much the only consistent players in an otherwise disastrous team. The award for giving away most chances went to Maguire after the Villareal, Leicester and Liverpool game!

L1nk

Pot kettle. You’re happy to slag off McTominay in his thread after he was objectively far better than Lindleof last night.
Because McTominay wasn’t coming off of covid and heart problems? What are you not getting. Id take it easier on McTominay if he had too

Adam-Utd

Tbf I thought this about Varanes fluffed clearance that went to opposition who then took a shot aswell.

I wonder what people would say if that was Maguire who fluffed their clearance.
Every player is human and has a mistake in them, I remember Rio and VDS making a huge feck up between them.

The issue is some of our players make these mistakes pretty much every game. Varane also seems to have a 'brainfart' in him, but is pretty solid apart from that at least.

I really enjoyed how he played out against the left side touchline when he got boxed in. A proper footballer.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's easy to mention his brain fartery but I thought it came with the territory of his role last night. It looked like he'd been designated the cover guy for the defence, probably because he's more mobile and able to run better than Varane. The miskick was certainly his own fault, and dumb, but the second error, where he clattered into the post, looked like it happened because he'd been instructed to run back and chase any attacker who'd breached the easily penetrable wall that is our defence. I'd have to watch it again but it seems like Varane has been purposely instructed not to do that type of defending.

Augustus Gloop

Because McTominay wasn’t coming off of covid and heart problems? What are you not getting. Id take it easier on McTominay if he had too
Who is having a go at Victor for having Covid and heart issues? Everyone has empathy and sincerity for this. It doesn’t mean somebody can’t constructively criticise him for nearly giving away a goal though.

Whereas on the other hand you’ve went in on McTominay who generally played okay and scored the winner. You’re saying Victor deserves a reprieve but I think it’s Scott that needs to be cut some slack.

L1nk

Who is having a go at Victor for having Covid and heart issues? Everyone has empathy and sincerity for this. It doesn’t mean somebody can’t constructively criticise him for nearly giving away a goal though.

Whereas on the other hand you’ve went in on McTominay who generally played okay and scored the winner. You’re saying Victor deserves a reprieve but I think it’s Scott that needs to be cut some slack.
Isn't it like a general consensus that if a player has just come back from injury, they are cut some slack because obviously they've had some time off and are probably unlikely to hit the ground running in most cases, of which Covid and a potential heart scare certainly count as having time off for a potentially scary reason. I can admit Lindelof didn't have a great game of course and he could have cost us, but Lindelof has been one of our better defenders this season, he's certainly performed better than Maguire and so i'm not going to immediately jump on him just as he's come back from these ailments. McTominay isn't getting any such similar slack from me because he's been dogshit for multiple games now and is not only still playing but hasn't had an injury related excuse, peoples standards are in the toilet if they felt McTominay played well yesterday, did nobody else see our midfield get torn a new one time and time again? I praise him for scoring the goal of course but come on, where's our standards?

A-man

One could argue he’s been our best defender this season. He wasn’t at his best yesterday, but apart from the poor ball control situation he solved many situations in good ways and despite we were under a lot of pressure in second half, they only had 4 shots in total (on and off target) during 90 minutes and we ended up with a clean sheet.

I believe the Varane -Lindelof pairing could be quite good, especially if we start to play the football our new manager is known for. With Lindelof behind him, Varane can push higher up and try to win back the ball, knowing he will have cover when he fails. Also Lindelof can trust Varane to cover. The speed of passing is significantly higher as well. What we need them both to do do is advancing with the ball more often and yesterday we didn’t see any cutting through passes at all. This needs to improve.

Adam-Utd

First half was not his best. Second half your comment is completely wrong. Him and Varane are both very comfortable with the ball at their feet and are both able to pass under pressure. Which they actually did on a few occasions yesterday (key to build up play!).
You are letting your already-made-up-mind cloud your judgement!
So you ignore the moment Lindelof passed it right down the middle of the pitch straight to their midfield under a little bit of pressure?

He is no better than any other average CB with the ball at their feet. The Villa CB's both looked far more comfortable.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not good enough. Varane needs a partner in the summer.

Maguire, Jones, Lindelof, Bailly. Two of these need to go.

Ixion

Played well before his health scare and has had a few weeks out so I'll cut him some slack for a few mistakes. No idea if the guy was stressed or anxious during the game over what happened previously. Did alright in the circumstances.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Ok overall, but still always feel before the game starts that he has at least one major error in him waiting to happen.

That Watkins chance was easily avoidable, yet it turned to him beating him twice and hitting the crossbar. Got away with it massively.

Foxbatt

The more times I watch the more I find fault with Lindelof. In the second half too he passed straight to their player and Fred had to take a yellow for that. But he has been our best defender this season and he is coming back from a heart issue and recovering from Covid so I will cut him some slack.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought it was a poor performance. Although I also think he suffers more than most from De Gea’s passivity as he’s a naturally reactive defender who prefers to let situations develop before getting involved. Which is a disaster with a ‘keeper who is similarly reluctant to take charge.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If Watkins has scored that chance, which he should have done, this thread would rightly be hopping. Maguire didn’t get any leeway so why should Lindelof?
Cause Maguire is horrendous in nearly every game.

Lindelof has been our best CB this season (including availability in here), so he gets some leeway on his first game after a lay off.

He was atrocious, but still better than Maguire's standard this season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Cause Maguire is horrendous in nearly every game.

Lindelof has been our best CB this season (including availability in here), so he gets some leeway on his first game after a lay off.

He was atrocious, but still better than Maguire's standard this season.
Maguire has been atrocious this season and Lindelof has been better against that backdrop.
However in fairness I’ve not seen maguire cough up that type of chance yet

Albin Johansson

I love Varane honestly, but VNL is our most consistent defender (not to mention he is the only CB that doesnt either suck or get injured every other game). He was rusty yesterday after a long Covid spell but wtf, "hIS BeSt iS avEraGe aT mOsT?!". I'm sure the three last managers have got it all Wrong and you are all right.

golden_blunder

Staff
You been skipping our matches, geebs?
Even though I don’t think either chance is as bad as the one VL coughed up (bad touch followed by being turned easily inside out), I’ll accept your point grudgingly

they’re both still shit and I want them both far away from our team

norm87cro

In all honesty this should not turn into a Maguire Lindelof error discussion. If Lindelof is our best CB like some say then our defence is in a serious and a dire state. Everybody in our defense has made errors but thinking that Lindelof is the solution is certainly a new low point for our fan base. We could probably sign two Championship CBs for 20 mil and be in a better state then we are now.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Even though I don’t think either chance is as bad as the one VL coughed up (bad touch followed by being turned easily inside out), I’ll accept your point grudgingly

they’re both still shit and I want them both far away from our team
I mostly agree but at the moment prefer Lindelof to Maguire. I prefer Bailly to both of them a little rundown of my preferences below.

1. Varane
2. Bailly
3. Jones (if he's fit)
4. Lindelof
5 Maguire

SATA

I still do not know what Jose saw in him and his defending qualities. The club bought for him two centrebacks in Lindelof and Bailly and he still whinged about not getting a third one

golden_blunder

Staff
I still do not know what Jose saw in him and his defending qualities. The club bought for him two centrebacks in Lindelof and Bailly and he still whinged about not getting a third one
Wouldn’t you after seeing them up close and personal?

Caesar2290

Don't bother. This man is obsessed with Lindelof more than certain people are with their ex's. He's here every time he sets a foot wrong. Yet most of the times he has a solid or a very good game for some reason he never shows up.

Hard to take him seriously at this point anymore.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Don't bother. This man is obsessed with Lindelof more than certain people are with their ex's. He's here every time he sets a foot wrong. Yet most of the times he has a solid or a very good game for some reason he never shows up.

Hard to take him seriously at this point anymore.
I've been in good with geebs since 2006, so I enjoy it every time I can get one over on him :D

JB7

First one is terrible play but is a perfect example of the major issues DDG causes the defence, any other goalkeeper in the league makes themselves available for the backpass - Maguires instinct is back to the goalkeeper, you see him looking as the camera pans across but DDG was not making himself available so he has to go against his instrict. Of course, what comes afterwards is terrible defending but it's just one of many issues caused by the goalkeeper that the vast majority of teams at this level mop up before it's even an opportunity.

Abraxas

Those clips aren't as bad as Lindelof last night who not only cocked up but then failed to recover which is the really poor part. A mess up in an area that you've assessed isn't so dangerous like out wide or one where you have an ability to rectify it can never be considered as bad. Still poor of course.

There was a direct correlation between Lindelof and a goalscoring opportunity at close range with only the bar saving him.

criticalanalysis

It's easy to mention his brain fartery but I thought it came with the territory of his role last night. It looked like he'd been designated the cover guy for the defence, probably because he's more mobile and able to run better than Varane. The miskick was certainly his own fault, and dumb, but the second error, where he clattered into the post, looked like it happened because he'd been instructed to run back and chase any attacker who'd breached the easily penetrable wall that is our defence. I'd have to watch it again but it seems like Varane has been purposely instructed not to do that type of defending.
:lol:

Come on mate, some of your obvious bias-wumming is kinda funny at first but don't overdo it. It's almost as bad as the other fanboys.

Lindelof is not a player, who by design or instinct pushes into midfield to press attackers because he is a backtrack first defender; he loves to sit behind everybody and 'cover'. It doesn't matter whether he plays with Bailly, Maguire, Jones or Varane as his centre back partner is almost exclusively always ahead and by default the one doing the more high-risk first action of defending/progressive pass.

Three of four times a season he will have an excellent all around game and show some very good passing chops but the majority of the other times he is a defer-first player. He looks good on the ball but he does not take the initiative as he's happy to pass the ball to feet to AWB/Dalot/De Gea (who will have an opposition player in vicinity ) or lay it off to Maguire. Varane to me looks awkward and gangly on the ball but he has shown a lot more impetus to play under pressure or between the lines. Most of what Lindelof does is low-risk. Nobody is asking him to actively play in a shell or 'last man' the way he does, so let's not try to elevate his qualities like he's being handicapped.

Foxbatt

I mostly agree but at the moment prefer Lindelof to Maguire. I prefer Bailly to both of them a little rundown of my preferences below.

1. Varane
2. Bailly
3. Jones (if he's fit)
4. Lindelof
5 Maguire
Bailly? He has more brain farts in every match more than Lindelof has in every month.

Scottynaldinho

I thought he has been one of the better performers this season? Can't fault him much when the entire team is dysfunctional.

TSE123

Maguire has been atrocious this season and Lindelof has been better against that backdrop.
However in fairness I’ve not seen maguire cough up that type of chance yet
Surely you are joking now!? Maguire has pretty much spoon fed the opposition strikers every game this season. The only thing he hasn't done is put it in the back of the net for them, but apart from that I can think of at least three, possibly 13, times that he has made worse mistakes.

golden_blunder

Staff
Surely you are joking now!? Maguire has pretty much spoon fed the opposition strikers every game this season. The only thing he hasn't done is put it in the back of the net for them, but apart from that I can think of at least three, possibly 13, times that he has made worse mistakes.
Im not joking, the examples posted above weren’t as bad as the error in the last match. I hate the two of them at this stage. If you guys don’t want to win trophies fair enough but I’d like standards to come back and one of those is not defending like bloody clowns. Kick the two out and get Varane a proper CB beside him

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Im not joking, the examples posted above weren’t as bad as the error in the last match. I hate the two of them at this stage. If you guys don’t want to win trophies fair enough but I’d like standards to come back and one of those is not defending like bloody clowns. Kick the two out and get Varane a proper CB beside him
Leicester game alone he had moments that were as bad, and did lead to goals.

Like you said, clear both out I'd say

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be honest , Varane hasn't proved anything yet. Infact he has been as careless as Lindelof this season.

All of our CBs inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.