Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Get a grip. I criticize when I think he warrants it. Tonight I thought he did well
There’s nout more nauseating than the Lindelof gang. Wont name names but there’s a poster here who’s posted an identical comment about how fantastic Lindelof’s been every game since he joined. He’s like Lindelof’s version of Amadeus.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There’s nout more nauseating than the Lindelof gang. Wont name names but there’s a poster here who’s posted an identical comment about how fantastic Lindelof’s been every game since he joined. He’s like Lindelof’s version of Amadeus.
I’m strongly in the camp that I think him, Bailly, Jones and maguire are for various reasons not good enough for us if we want to achieve titles. Average at best. Yes Lindelof has been better than maguire this season but that’s not really saying much!
But tonight I think he was ok

Litch

Agreed and by quite a distance for me.

Been harsh on him but he has stepped up his game. Him and Varane make a good partnership, both good on the ball and both very composed. Hope Rangnick sticks to it.

I think it does help having Dalot's pace next to him on the right, who is better in the air than AWB.
Agree. It’s funny how things change, wasn’t he suppose to be on the bench?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I didn’t want to name you, but you know what you did :nono:
Nah it's fine. I started doing it because at one point we had a very vocal group who disliked Lindelof and I thought it'd be amusing. It then morphed into a bit of a joke with GB and I kept going.

It's less funny to me now and I'm getting a bit bored of it. I do like Lindelof as a player but he's not without his flaws, although I did think he played really well tonight.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree. It’s funny how things change, wasn’t he suppose to be on the bench?
You never know how players react to competition, some crack under the pressure and some step up their game. Victor has really relished the challenge it seems

Ollie Derbyshire

Played well tonight and with Varane forms our best CB pair IMO. If he was a bit stronger and better header he’d be ideal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Nah it's fine. I started doing it because at one point we had a very vocal group who disliked Lindelof and I thought it'd be amusing. It then morphed into a bit of a joke with GB and I kept going.

It's less funny to me now and I'm getting a bit bored of it. I do like Lindelof as a player but he's not without his flaws, although I did think he played really well tonight.
I’d say keep it up, you had me going :lol: you’re a nice poster but at one point I genuinely did think you were a Lindelof representative :cool: but yeah he did play well tonight, and has most of the season if I’m being fair.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

What… I thought you had a man crush

A-man

Good partnership with Varane and both were strong in duels today.
Not highly rated in the Sun though

VICTOR LINDELOF – 5
Let’s hope Harry Maguire is back in the starting XI, for the sake of United fans.

The Swede was torn apart by Brentford’s menacing counters and struggled to keep up.
RAPHAEL VARANE – 6
Survived a wobble in the first half but at least added a passing range from the back that was otherwise missing

Anybody who knows what counters Victor struggled with?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
actually thought he was alright today.

nice to see him being aggressive, getting tight and actually contesting for pretty much every ball.

seeing him dump toney on his ass was a joy to behold. you can tell he’s really fighting for his place.

no trademark lindelof mistakes today either.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Was losing air balls in the first half. That was the only fault I could find. Had a decent game altogether.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He had some good spells today without making an obvious error. Good game from our back up CB putting pressure on Maguire to come back composed and focused.

Devil may care

Solid game, him and Varane are gelling reasonably, it's not easy given the lack of protection from midfield.

CloneMC16

Played well. He's playing well with Varane. This should be the partnership we continue with. I was concerned about him vs Toney pre-match, but he handled the threat very well. Fair play to him for stepping up this season. Everybody thought he would be replaced by Varane, but he's ended up being our best defender.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
If we can learn to actually dominate possession and control games, then there is a lot of potential in the Lindelof-Varane partnership. Whether we will actually learn to do that is another matter.

Ixion

Played well. He's a good dependable player. Hopefully he's mentally over the episode what kept him out for a few weeks, things like that can play on your mind.

TSE123

VICTOR LINDELOF – 5
Let’s hope Harry Maguire is back in the starting XI, for the sake of United fans.

The Swede was torn apart by Brentford’s menacing counters and struggled to keep up.
RAPHAEL VARANE – 6
Survived a wobble in the first half but at least added a passing range from the back that was otherwise missing

Just saw the suns rating and was going to post it, but you beat me to it. Did you see that they even managed to give Maguire a 6 (!) despite his disaster.
This is what infuriates me. English media and many supporters will forever praise Maguire and throw abuse at Lindelof. They clearly have no understanding of football; but then again, the rating is not solely based on their footballing performance!
I've said it before and will repeat it. They are only able to see the obvious (tackles, passes and goals) BUT in this case, not even that, because then the ratings would have been different.

Foxbatt

Just saw the suns rating and was going to post it, but you beat me to it. Did you see that they even managed to give Maguire a 6 (!) despite his disaster.
This is what infuriates me. English media and many supporters will forever praise Maguire and throw abuse at Lindelof. They clearly have no understanding of football; but then again, the rating is not solely based on their footballing performance!
I've said it before and will repeat it. They are only able to see the obvious (tackles, passes and goals) BUT in this case, not even that, because then the ratings would have been different.
The match commentator praised him. He cut off a certain goal too. I thought he was very solid.

Ixion

VICTOR LINDELOF – 5

RAPHAEL VARANE – 6

Silly nonsense. It's like when Shaw was out of the team for a few weeks and an article pops up saying Shaw must be brought back, ignoring how bad he had been. Stupid English bias against Johnny Foreigner because that's their audience.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Silly nonsense. It's like when Shaw was out of the team for a few weeks and an article pops up saying Shaw must be brought back, ignoring how bad he had been. Stupid English bias against Johnny Foreigner because that's their audience.
Sure I read years ago that these ratings are done at HT and unless something big happens in the second half they do not alter. You only have to look at some of the stupid ratings in the M.E.N. to see that. He was a lot better than a 5. I tend to agree that there is a ridiculous bias. Him and Varane look good together.

A-man

If we can learn to actually dominate possession and control games, then there is a lot of potential in the Lindelof-Varane partnership. Whether we will actually learn to do that is another matter.
This what I think as well. They would be a good pair when we dominate, both with the ball and keeping a high line. Both are good at covering space as well.

It’s very odd. And I really don’t remember him struggling with counter attacks. Did they confuse him with Dalot maybe? He struggled with counters 2-3 times.

DomesticTadpole

This what I think as well. They would be a good pair when we dominate, both with the ball and keeping a high line. Both are good at covering space as well.

It’s very odd. And I really don’t remember him struggling with counter attacks. Did they confuse him with Dalot maybe? He struggled with counters 2-3 times.
I learnt ages ago to not take too much notice of the ratings, probably done by some spotty teenager who does not support United. The players should ignore them as well.

Pintu

Stupid English bias against Johnny Foreigner because that's their audience.
That makes sense. I've lost count of the times I'd thought he had a decent game (or at least not that bad), only to run into something along the lines of "Lindelöf sågas i brittisk media" meaning he was "sawed" (heavily criticized) by English pundits.

Grande

He’s not covered himself in glory this season, which no outfield player has. I’d say he’s been a bit below his par, but nowhere near the collaps Maguire has had. I think Varane has been somewhat better, apart from that Victor holds his place on merit, as he’s done most of the time he’s been here. He’s really only had one weak season, the first.

I still hope Maguire get’s back to his best, which he probably will, or we need another CB.

poleglass red

He did okay, we should have been 2 down after 15 mins. We played brentford, a team in 14th, who have played 2 to 3 games more than the teams directly underneath them, they've conceded 4 v Southampton, 3 v Liverpool, minus 2 of their 3 best attackers in the line up, so coming into this game their confidence was low. We made them look like Pep Barca in that 1st half. Our defence will never look good, the lack of cover from midfield will always leave them exposed. Right now our players are giving us good 45 mins, the progression needs to be a good 90 mins. We saw 1st half against Villa, 2nd half v Brentford we can take games to teams.

DomesticTadpole

He did okay, we should have been 2 down after 15 mins. We played brentford, a team in 14th, who have played 2 to 3 games more than the teams directly underneath them, they've conceded 4 v Southampton, 3 v Liverpool, minus 2 of their 3 best attackers in the line up, so coming into this game their confidence was low. We made them look like Pep Barca in that 1st half. Our defence will never look good, the lack of cover from midfield will always leave them exposed. Right now our players are giving us good 45 mins, the progression needs to be a good 90 mins. We saw 1st half against Villa, 2nd half v Brentford we can take games to teams.
They also scored 3 goals against Liverpool at home. They are a difficult team at home, they do not travel well.

Ixion

He had the second highest pass completion % in the team after McTominay yesterday

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
By no means his biggest fan, but will say the past few games he has been solid at the back, and best defender of the night.

He needs to stop backing off so much from players when they run at him. I think if he fixes that then I would rate him higher than i currently do.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That makes sense. I've lost count of the times I'd thought he had a decent game (or at least not that bad), only to run into something along the lines of "Lindelöf sågas i brittisk media" meaning he was "sawed" (heavily criticized) by English pundits.
Some truth here, British media likes physically dominant centre backs. It took people ages to see the real value of Rio for example who was a fantastic defender for reasons other than his tackling. There's also certain types like Mings who get plaudits for being physical despite being pretty basic.

However, it's probably not entirely unfair criticism because if a defender is easily bullied in what is a very physical league - and Lindelof probably was/is - then it'll get mentioned more often. A good defender in the PL now needs to have a good balance between defending, passing and positioning.

A-man

Some truth here, British media likes physically dominant centre backs. It took people ages to see the real value of Rio for example who was a fantastic defender for reasons other than his tackling. There's also certain types like Mings who get plaudits for being physical despite being pretty basic.

However, it's probably not entirely unfair criticism because if a defender is easily bullied in what is a very physical league - and Lindelof probably was/is - then it'll get mentioned more often. A good defender in the PL now needs to have a good balance between defending, passing and positioning.
It is a weakness of his, but it is also exaggerated. Every time he is turned or lose a physical battle we talk about it like he was bullied or weak because that’s the label he has got. Maguire has been “bullied” several times this season, against Tarkowski is last one I remember, but because he is strong in peoples eyes we don’t say he was bullied and we don’t talk about it forever. Instead we highlight how slow he is at turning.

Ixion

Terrible. He and his family going through a difficult few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.