Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017

Dare I say it, watch out Shearer?
Would be great but I would go as far as saying there's next to no chance of that happening. Shearer's record is absolutely incredible.

Superb performance from him yesterday. My man of the match with Carrick.

Having a striker who is making runs in the channels and in behind then having a midfielder (Carrick) who is able to pick those passes out were the main reasons for our dominance. Have got a really good feeling that Rooney is coming into some form at the perfect time.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
LVG has realised Falcao is not upto it so has kept him on the bench lets just hope he can keep RVP on the bench too he must be back soon. First time in the season we are actually playing well it shouldn't be changed.

Sam

That performance yesterday was as good as you'll see from any #9 in the league. Genuinely. It puts RVP/Falcao's performances this season to shame, to be quite honest. Touch, link up, pace, passing, movement, finishing..it had it all. Once he was through for the goal, was there anyone that didn't think he was going to score? He's showing that, as a striker, he's still one of the best, so just play him there.

He's also become a fantastic captain to boot. I said the other week he's winning me round again, and yesterday just reinforced that. Dare I say, I'm actually starting to quite like him again.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Very nervous about what happens when Van Persie is back tho.
Hopefully Van Gaal is learning a lot from the recent games, I think he's spending the entire season trying to work out what works and what doesn't.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I said it several times, Rooney is a goalscorer nothing more, the fact that he is a complete footballer shouldn't let people assume that he is anything else, he is not a #10 not a winger, not a midfielder, he is happy when he plays upfront and he always scores goals.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I said it several times, Rooney is a goalscorer nothing more, the fact that he is a complete footballer shouldn't let people assume that he is anything else, he is not a #10 not a winger, not a midfielder, he is happy when he plays upfront and he always scores goals.
He's most definitely a #10. Just because he does not play the role according to certain pre-conceived notions does not mean he does not play it very well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's most definitely a #10. Just because he does not play the role according to certain pre-conceived notions does not mean he does not play it very well.
For him to be a decent No.10 it would be better if we had a decent No. 9, so until we do just play him as the main striker. His celebration was brilliant. Brought a smile to my face as did his and teams performance.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
For him to be a decent No.10 it would be better if we had a decent No. 9, so until we do just play him as the main striker. His celebration was brilliant. Brought a smile to my face as did his and teams performance.
Oh I agree. Just saying that he clearly is a very good #10 as well.

Rossa

Anyone who has seen me comment on Rooney knows that I'm not his biggest fan, nor will I ever be. However, that being said, he played a great match against Tottenham. He looks slow both in thinking and running when playing in midfield, but put him up top and he looks quite fast, and his passing is less of a let down, actually downright good at times. That outside of the foot pass out wide was sublime.

Kag

Exactly right. He's one of the best strikers in the game and that's where he should play every week. Even in the media, there has been a reluctance to accept his best position for a number of years, with people trying their best to convince themselves that he's something more, something Paul Scholes. It was never the case and Rooney is proving that now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not taking anything away from Rooney here, but don't you guys also think that RVP would benefit from having Carrick in the team?
Carrick's played 14 times this season. That was the first time (I think?) that RvP didn't get to play in the same team as him. Not once has he produced a performance as good as Rooney's yesterday.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Not taking anything away from Rooney here, but don't you guys also think that RVP would benefit from having Carrick in the team?
Everyone benefits from having Carrick in the team so yes RVP would benefit. I dont think that should mean RVP should come back into the team. We need to be playing with 1 up front at the moment and Rooney is currently the our best striker so that leaves no room for RVP or Falcao. Its up to LVG though and knowing him he may put RVP straight back into the side and start playing 2 up front again which would completely be the wrong decision IMO.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh I agree. Just saying that he clearly is a very good #10 as well.
I'm not saying that he isn't good or very good in other positions but Rooney is at his best when he plays as a striker.

Robbie Boy

Great performance yesterday. He's a far better player when he plays in his actual position. His goal yesterday was Rooney at his very best.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
3-0 comfortable lead, 80 something minute and who's there in our box having three awesome defensive headers? Yeah, that's right, Falcao.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Rooney's energy, intelligence, and willingness to work in a team even when it's not built around him make him a better fit for the current mix of players. He'll make runs to draw defenders and lay off passes that make it easier for Young and Herrera and Fellaini to a) get the ball to him or b) create a chance/make a pass to someone else.

RVP, at his best, makes the people providing him service look good when he's converting his chances. If he's not finishing precisely (like this year), he doesn't help the rest of the team provide him service.

Rossa

Carrick's played 14 times this season. That was the first time (I think?) that RvP didn't get to play in the same team as him. Not once has he produced a performance as good as Rooney's yesterday.
Not once has Carrick performed at that level this season either. RVP IS very good at making runs in behind the defense. After all, the Carrick-RVP combo was extremely productive during Fergie's last season.

Rossa

Everyone benefits from having Carrick in the team so yes RVP would benefit. I dont think that should mean RVP should come back into the team. We need to be playing with 1 up front at the moment and Rooney is currently the our best striker so that leaves no room for RVP or Falcao. Its up to LVG though and knowing him he may put RVP straight back into the side and start playing 2 up front again which would completely be the wrong decision IMO.
Not disagreeing with this, but two seasons ago, RVP was clearly our best striker. He may or may not have regressed a lot since then though. This season, he has certainly been underwhelming, as has Rooney, but not in his proper position.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not disagreeing with this, but two seasons ago, RVP was clearly our best striker. He may or may not have regressed a lot since then though. This season, he has certainly been underwhelming, as has Rooney, but not in his proper position.
Rooney hasn't had an underwhelming season, RvP has.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not once has Carrick performed at that level this season either. RVP IS very good at making runs in behind the defense. After all, the Carrick-RVP combo was extremely productive during Fergie's last season.
That's not true at all. You shouldn't even have to think very hard to come up with a similar performance. How about the away game against the same opposition? The game where RvP made a mess of a brilliant chance served up to him by, you guessed it, Michael Carrick.

Carrick had a run of good games when he first came back from injury. RvP was mainly meh throughout. You'd have to be seriously biased to think Rooney's performance yesterday was primarily down to a once in a season performance from Carrick.

Rossa

That's not true at all. You shouldn't even have to think very hard to come up with a similar performance. How about the away game against the same opposition? The game where RvP made a mess of a brilliant chance served up to him by, you guessed it, Michael Carrick.

Carrick had a run of good games when he first came back from injury. RvP was mainly meh throughout. You'd have to be seriously biased to think Rooney's performance yesterday was primarily down to a once in a season performance from Carrick.
Not taking anything away from Rooney I believe I said. My memory may well serve me wrong regarding Carrick though. Rooney has been good and there is no bias suggesting anything else. I don't think he is world class, but at his best he is a valuable player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Laborious van Persie is finished. He may do better in a line-up like we had this week, but his dynamism has declined severely and is currently a few levels below Rooney.

Trizy

He is in great scoring form but we all knew he'd score loads up front, except LVG for some reason.

He's an emotional player so he'll be fired up against Liverpool and in his current form he could be the cause of us winning.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Wayne Rooney was acting and not boxing with Phil Bardsley says Jamie Moore

Wayne Rooney's boxing video was play-acting and the England captain wasn't injured, says boxing trainer Jamie Moore.

A clip of Rooney taking a tumble after boxing in his kitchen with friend and Stoke player Phil Bardsley caused a storm at the weekend - leading to his memorable goal celebration in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Tottenham.

But Moore, the Manchester-based former fighter and trainer of Tommy Coyle, insists he has been told the video clip wasn't as brutal as it seems.

He told Sky Sports: "I’m well-informed that, straight after the video clip ended, Rooney jumps up and he’s fine. They were just having a bit of craic, let’s just say it was a well-edited video.

"I think Rooney has been having acting lessons more than boxing lessons – for a start, why didn’t he parry Bardsley’s jab?"

Moore's claim echoes Bardsley's wife Tanya's claim on her Twitter account that the friends were playing and not fighting.

Manchester United supporter Moore continued: "I’ve known Phil Bardsley for years through Steve Foster Snr. I remember when he was 16 as a young apprentice at United he would come and train at Oliver’s with us. He’s always been around the boxing.

"He comes down to my gym to stay in shape during the football pre-season. So he knows what he’s doing boxing-wise! He’s been around the game his whole life.

"After the way Rooney played on the day that video was released, I’m hoping for Rooney v Bardsley II!"

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Called it (not that there was any doubt)

He went down like he had been hit by a Shawn Michael superkick. 10/10 for the sell.
Good stuff from Rooney. The "They say he's a Legend" advert was class as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.