Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd love Van Gaal to simply keep RVP on the bench but cant see it happening. Hopefully its Rooney alongside him and not back in midfield, that'd be just mental.
I know LVG can be quite stubborn sometimes, but right now I can't see him dropping Rooney back to midfield. Would be an incredibly daft move for him to make. I'm not sure if RVP will get back into the team for a while if we can continue to play like this.

Varun

Staff
I know LVG can be quite stubborn sometimes, but right now I can't see him dropping Rooney back to midfield. Would be an incredibly daft move for him to make. I'm not sure if RVP will get back into the team for a while if we can continue to play like this.
I think we'l see Rooney playing behind RVP. Hope to god I'm wrong though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think we'l see Rooney playing behind RVP. Hope to god I'm wrong though.
I could take Rooney in a sort of number 10 role since he'd be able to still pose an attacking threat there, although I desperately hope we don't drop him back to midfield.

Varun

Staff
I could take Rooney in a sort of number 10 role since he'd be able to still pose an attacking threat there, although I desperately hope we don't drop him back to midfield.
Though the lesser evil, I dont even want him as the No 10. He's the only striker we have (bar Wilson) that has pace and that is v v important. I just want to see him upfront and nowhere else.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Though the lesser evil, I dont even want him as the No 10. He's the only striker we have (bar Wilson) that has pace and that is v v important. I just want to see him upfront and nowhere else.
Yeah, I'd agree with that right now. He's managing to both score goals, while not being too isolated up front in that he's able to contribute to our overall play too.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
It's interesting the way it cuts out so soon after he goes down. There's no way the dude on the video stopped recording. Wouldn't be suprised at all if he's only messing around and sits straight up. Sun being the Sun.
Someone starts to walk in the opposite direction (i.e. away from Wayne) as soon as he goes down as well - there's no panic that he's hurt himself. It looks staged.

Last edited:

devil in me

It's interesting the way it cuts out so soon after he goes down. There's no way the dude on the video stopped recording. Wouldn't be suprised at all if he's only messing around and sits straight up. Sun being the Sun.
Exactly what I thought about it. They're just messing around and the Sun is being its usual self.

Anduin

I think if we had played him up on his own the whole season we'd be up there with Chelsea. Speculation and hindsight I know, but he's just so good, always gets into all the right position and his finishing is so much better than when he was in his early twenties. Keep him upfront and we'll get top four IMO... I love van Persie, but he really shouldn't come back into it for now when he returns to fitness.

Acole9

Outstanding
:lol: Quality celebration, I knew he'd do something like that. It's a shame the media have to make such a big deal out of the video. I don't see anything wrong with what happened.

jem

Superb today. It's incredible to think that he'd ever be played in another position. A real captain's performance today (and I've not often said those words about Rooney.)

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Nice, he's been there and done it all on the biggest stage so hopefully he can use his experience to help the other players.

The worst bunch of people on the Caf are those who hate/don't rate Rooney. Where are they when he performs like that? Fantastic performance, as a player and captain.

Quality hold up play, good movement, good goal and showed great commitment during the last 10 minutes to make sure we end the game with a clean sheet.

I adore the guy. Chuffed that he's doing well for us up front.
I agree that people not rating Rooney is stupid as he's clearly a quality player but what's wrong with people not liking him?

predator

Youth NITK
I'm glad to say I've always been a big fan of Wayne. But I will admit that I thought his days upfront were coming to an end. I thought his best position would be midfield but he is clearly proving me wrong.

Lvg needs to see this so he can get it sorted for next season. As much as I want falcao to succeed I think we need to let him go, keep rvp and build the team around rooney as the target man.

itso 7

Keep him up front and he will take us home but Van Gaal will stay true to form and bring his blue eyed boy straight in, costing us the season in the process.

predator

Youth NITK
And I'm not one to kneejerkingly have a go at people, who constantly criticises a player, just after they've played well but all rooney haters need to strongly re-evaluate their argument. It is moronic how much abuse he gets on here. Maybe it's his personal life and the contract situation (which imo was mainly down to his cnut of an agent, Paul Stretford).

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Letting this captaincy go to his head...and it's just we've needed. Brilliant today, and he can lift us if he keeps it up the rest of the season. Do it again at Angield and we'll be flying.

Fingers crossed LVG sees what's working and doesn't automatically go back to what wasn't when RVP returns.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:drool:

He's been a fantastic captain this season. Done everything he had to, has worked hard for the team and often been excellent. Even today, after putting in a great shift as a #9 he dropped back for the last 10 minutes and was crucial in ensuring we kept a clean sheet. De Gea has been our player of the season, but Rooney is really not that far behind.

Blue always red

He'll retire as the clubs highest goal scorer and go down as one of the best United players of all time. When Rooney is playing well, he is one of the best players in the league, however when he's playing as striker and has a bad game its not as obvious because he can still score. When he plays deeper and has a bad game is glaringly obvious. Is there another striker as good as him who is anywhere near as versatile?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Was just looking up Rooney's Manchester United goalscoring stats compared to some other great strikers of modern football and it makes for pleasant reading :

Wayne Rooney : 0.49 goals per match in all competitions.
Raul Gonzalez : 0.44 goals per match match in all competitions for Real Madrid.
Andriy Shevchenko : 0.49 goals per match in all competitions for AC Milan.
Thierry Henry : 0.56 goals per game in all competitions for Arsenal and Barcelona.
Filippo Inzaghi : 0.46 goals per game in all competitions for Juventus and AC Milan.
David Villa : 0.50 goals per game in all competitions for Real Zaragoza, Valencia and Barcelona.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic : 0.48 goals per game in all competitions for Juventus, Internazionale, Barcelona, AC Milan and PSG.
Samuel Eto'o : 0.50 goals per game in all competitions for Barcelona and Internazionale.
Ruud van Nistelrooy : 0.68 goals per game for Manchester United and Real Madrid.

There are only two strikers who are substantially better in terms of goal efficiency from that list - van Nistelrooy with 0.68 and Henry with 0.56. And from that list, almost no other player has been more of a utility man or been played out of position more frequently or contributed more to the team's overall playing style both offensively and defensively. Which makes Rooney's tally all the more impressive when compared to strikers who were more classical finishers in the mold of Inzaghi.

Short term - Rooney is currently on 227 goals for Manchester United and 46 for England; and should be able to surpass Sir Bobby's total of 249 and 49 sometime next season. Plus, he is on 168 league goals for Manchester United and should eclipse Henry's record of 174 goals for a single Premier League club this season considering that there are still 9 games left to play.

More longer term - There is Alan Shearer's record of 260 Premier League goals plus Raul's benchmark of goals for a single club at 323 in all competitions. Surpassing both of them would be an incredible achievement and should finally put a stamp on Rooney's legendary career.

The solitary knock on him would be the relative lack of Champions League goals with just 29. Decent figures but considering how someone like Benzema has 41 and Drogba 44, Rooney should be better placed after almost a decade of playing in the competition. He still has time to make up for it and would do well to get somewhere around 50 by the time he hangs up his boots.

Brightonian

I wish I could archive all these posts somehow. Whenever Rooney goes through a bad patch/gets a kicking in the media and everyone suddenly agrees that he's always been mediocre and overrated and that we'd be better off without him, I find myself wishing I could quote the praise he rightly earns most of the time.

Brightonian

Pretty sure that's what Bardsley's missus said happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.