Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm a massive Rooney fan but his hold up play is got to be better as it's been dire. The same as it was against Liverpool. Come on Wazza!

Rossa

Rooney's generally been excelling in leading the line for us for the past couple of months now. RVP had some okay games here and there, but I don't think he's really had a sustained spell of very good form over the season.
He does appear more grown up, but I always get the sensation that he is a handy player when things are going well, but he often sulks when things are not going well; the last couple of months, the team has played well, and subsequently he looks better, and leads the line better as well, but are you satisfied with him when the going gets tough?

Anyways, as a striker, It's probably his best position, but I just fail to see how he's a major upgrade on RVP. Am I bashing Rooney more than those who want Rooney over RVP are bashing RVP? Bizarre logic that.

Rossa

I'm a massive Rooney fan but his hold up play is got to be better as it's been dire. The same as it was against Liverpool. Come on Wazza!
You must have an agenda against Rooney then ;)

It's weird though, because when he was younger, his hold up play was terrific, so strong.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He does appear more grown up, but I always get the sensation that he is a handy player when things are going well, but he often sulks when things are not going well; the last couple of months, the team has played well, and subsequently he looks better, and leads the line better as well, but are you satisfied with him when the going gets tough?

Anyways, as a striker, It's probably his best position, but I just fail to see how he's a major upgrade on RVP. Am I bashing Rooney more than those who want Rooney over RVP are bashing RVP? Bizarre logic that.
I do think you've got a decent point with the first part in that a lot of his good form has perhaps coincided with ours, however from watching us over the past couple of months, I'd have to say there's a clear difference in play between him and RVP when Rooney's in our side. Works harder, and contributes more to the team as a whole. RVP can get away with that only if he's scoring a superb number of goals, I think.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's been relatively quiet, similar to his last few games; won't stop him from running and hassling their defence.

Lawman

You must have an agenda against Rooney then ;)

It's weird though, because when he was younger, his hold up play was terrific, so strong.
Yep strong but it's his touch that's been dreadful when his back is to goal.

Rossa

I do think you've got a decent point with the first part in that a lot of his good form has perhaps coincided with ours, however from watching us over the past couple of months, I'd have to say there's a clear difference in play between him and RVP when Rooney's in our side. Works harder, and contributes more to the team as a whole. RVP can get away with that only if he's scoring a superb number of goals, I think.
He does work harder and is much better defensively. However, I don't think RVP is as poor defensively as people claim. He often sprints back to make an intercepting tackle; he does seem a little more at loss in taking up positions whilst defending than Rooney. A weird thing is that RVP is stronger at hold up play than Rooney, but much, much weaker in dueling for the ball. Agree with your last sentence; I'm not quite sure what happened with RVP's finishing.

I'm not convinced with Rooney's movements up front - no runs in behind the defense.

Jagga7

He only ever looks to the right hand side of the pitch. Fellani was through in the goal if he just turned around and seen him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
but his hold up play is got to be better as it's been dire
Third game in a row, he can't hold the ball to save his life at the moment, but he'll probably come up with a late goal which will make people say he's been good..

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The last counterattack just before the HT whistle, when he chose to switch it to Val with the entire City defence on that side rather than Fellaini free behind him was the most depressingly inevitable thing I've ever seen.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He does work harder and is much better defensively. However, I don't think RVP is as poor defensively as people claim. He often sprints back to make an intercepting tackle; he does seem a little more at loss in taking up positions whilst defending than Rooney. A weird thing is that RVP is stronger at hold up play than Rooney, but much, much weaker in dueling for the ball. Agree with your last sentence; I'm not quite sure what happened with RVP's finishing.

I'm not convinced with Rooney's movements up front - no runs in behind the defense.
Not today perhaps since it's not been his strongest game, although this is arguably something he was adding to our team that RVP didn't when we started playing him up top again.

Lawman

Third game in a row, he can't hold the ball to save his life at the moment, but he'll probably come up with a late goal which will make people say he's been good..
To be fair his all round game has been ok and he is full of energy but if he held the ball up better we would be thumping City.

justboy68

He only ever looks to the right hand side of the pitch. Fellani was through in the goal if he just turned around and seen him.
It's too drilled into him. I said in the match day thread, Rooney to Valencia must be up there as one of the most played passes in football history.

Rossa

Not today perhaps since it's not been his strongest game, although this is arguably something he was adding to our team that RVP didn't when we started playing him up top again.
The first couple of games he was great - I was very happy with him, but his form has fallen since then, I think. He wasn't good against Liverpool at all, for instance, and I don't recall him being good against Tottenham either. I didn't watch the Villa game though, maybe he was great there?

NessunDorma

The last counterattack just before the HT whistle, when he chose to switch it to Val with the entire City defence on that side rather than Fellaini free behind him was the most depressingly inevitable thing I've ever seen.
What a sheltered life you've must lead.

Come on Wayne lad, let's have 'em eating their words!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The first couple of games he was great - I was very happy with him, but his form has fallen since then, I think. He wasn't good against Liverpool at all, for instance, and I don't recall him being good against Tottenham either. I didn't watch the Villa game though, maybe he was great there?
Well he did get that excellent goal against Villa. And he was one of our key players against Tottenham. Worked hard, and got a goal too.

Rossa

Well he did get that excellent goal against Villa. And he was one of our key players against Tottenham. Worked hard, and got a goal too.
You're probably right - Tottenham game being too far back for my aging memory. Closing my laptop for the second half and fit to resume the discussion afterwards ;)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You're probably right - Tottenham game being too far back for my aging memory. Closing my laptop for the second half and fit to resume the discussion afterwards ;)
Yeah, most of our team was superb in the Spurs game, to be fair.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What the heck are you on about? And what about addressing me instead? Cheesy is having a good discussion. I asked a serious question. I didn't say that Rooney was utterly garbage and should never play a game in his life for us never again, did I?
What I will say though as I have said in other threads is that I see RVP as a better #9 purely because of how good his hold up play is. I don't think Rooney is very good with his back to goal and is a lot more comfortable playing from deeper positions and is a better finisher.

Sorry for snapping but it's annoying to see people take pot shots at him for no reason when he's playing quite decently.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Having a Di Maria type game ( ok/average performance and an assist), would be interesting to see what the Di Maria defenders think about this.

Rossa

What I will say though as I have said in other threads is that I see RVP as a better #9 purely because of how good his hold up play is. I don't think Rooney is very good with his back to goal and is a lot more comfortable playing from deeper positions and is a better finisher.

Sorry for snapping but it's annoying to see people take pot shots at him for no reason when he's playing quite decently.
That's ok mate - don't think I've seen you done that before ;)

Agree with what you said. I don't think Rooney played well today. He worked his arse off, and bullied their defenders with all he had; he even had a sweet assist, and thus he is hard to criticize. I just feel that he loses the ball far too often, too easily might I add. Also, he needs to stop dropping so deep and rather get into good scoring positions.

Edit: btw, my average rating of Rooney is 6.2 as is that of the entire CAF - not that much of an agenda then perhaps? ;)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not his passing, that was fine, but the amount of times he had a poor touch. Those can hardly be denied can they?
A couple but people over emphasize when it comes to Rooney. Mata for example fecked up a couple of touches which halted our momentum going forward but you sure as hell won't see that mentioned in that thread.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
A couple but people over emphasize when it comes to Rooney. Mata for example fecked up a couple of touches which halted our momentum going forward but you sure as hell won't see that mentioned in that thread.
Your agenda is ridiculous. You think Rooney's been fine but you are critisizeing Mata. :lol:

Another shit game for Rooney, we would be even better if he was any better in last three games.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Rooney was average today no doubt..... but, Centre Forwards usually have these type of games, his defensive ability and work rate gives him the edge over the Colombian and RVP.

Rossa

Because Mata rarely does that - Rooney has a poor first touch, and it is something I find it weird that commentators don't pick up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.