Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It's Squawka's comparison matrix.

But yeah, 2 of those players did play in an 'unbalanced' side. Part of that imbalance was down to the fact that the two of them were about as threatening as a soggy lettuce up front, and their lethargy made us looked blunt, despite all of our possession.

Since Rooney went back up top, he's looked a much greater threat as an individual, and as a team wer're producing our best form of the season.

Probably not a coincidence.
The imbalance was trying to fit in 3 players that clearly could not all fit into one team, and having a midfield without a midfielder in it whilst we watched Mata/Herrera sit on the bench for weeks, not to mention an unfamiliar system with 3 at the back for ages. I'd argue that if RVP was in the side at the moment (as the lone striker) he would make an impact, he has shown glimpses in some games and is sure still handy to have around. This is the most balanced our side has looked all season and why's that? Players are mostly playing in proper positions, and ones they are comfortable with, so it makes sense for our best form to come with it.

marlowe78

The imbalance was trying to fit in 3 players that clearly could not all fit into one team, and having a midfield without a midfielder in it whilst we watched Mata/Herrera sit on the bench for weeks, not to mention an unfamiliar system with 3 at the back for ages. I'd argue that if RVP was in the side at the moment (as the lone striker) he would make an impact, he has shown glimpses in some games and is sure still handy to have around. This is the most balanced our side has looked all season and why's that? Players are mostly playing in proper positions, and ones they are comfortable with, so it makes sense for our best form to come with it.
Quite honestly, we are lucky that Falcao has been absolute crap. Whether LVG wanted Falcao in that ridiculous setup or not (he may have been forced to by the cost of getting him), the decision to not play him was made up for everybody with his poor performances. Even if RVP wasn't injured, there was every reason to bench Falcao and put Rooney back where he belongs, at striker. I don't think we would be playing quite as well without Mata and Herrera together, but if we just had Herrera in the game and Rooney-RVP up front, we still would've improved.

Riz

Was wondering when we'd see his customary worldie goal this season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So, he can't control a ball played into his feet, but give him one when it's about 8ft in the air that's no problem?!

What a feckin' goal.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I admire his determination, he kept driving for victory. His persistence has created some goals this season. He has proven to me that he deserves to be captain for his spirit as much as his performance.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So, he can't control a ball played into his feet, but give him one when it's about 8ft in the air that's no problem?!

What a feckin' goal.
Rooney is a mysterious player. I cannot think of a player who can have performances ranging from Sunday league player level to world class like him. Great goal, the power generated from a not so easy position was impressive.

NessunDorma

Needs 6 more for 300 career goals as a professional (club and country). 17 for Everton, 230 for United, 47 for England.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
However shit he may debatably have been besides the goal, we are better off as a team with him up front vs RVP or Falcao. Every match without them just serves to underline that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very poor game, outstanding goal though - up there with Angel as our goal of the season.

space

A stunning, stunning goal, didn't think he was too bad overall either. Loved the celebration after the goal too, the team seems to have a great spirit.

VanGaalEra

Average game but more then made up for it with that stunning goal. Impressive.

Bwuk

I actually thought he was decent today, and I'm not his biggest fan.

Trizy

I didn't see the game but after watching the highlights I think the ''Rooney was poor'' posts are a bit over the top, he should of had a penalty early in the game, he scored a unreal goal and assisted our third goal after fighting and winning the ball.

ZDwyr

Not his best game but great goal. He's a brilliant finisher.

Mani

His second half performance was better compared to first and what a stunning goal was that.That was clear penalty but he goes for excessive appeal for which referee in any case never going to change his mind his desicion.

SalfordRed1960

I didn't see the game but after watching the highlights I think the ''Rooney was poor'' posts are a bit over the top, he should of had a penalty early in the game, he scored a unreal goal and assisted our third goal after fighting and winning the ball.
That's why they call them highlights:lol:. Only joking, his effort is not questioned, but him, Fellani and Carrick seemed to give the ball away, or be a bit lethargic for most of the match.

Oo0AahCantona

Utterly brilliant finish. He is absolute top quality, could play for any team in the world and we are a much much better side with him in it.

Swaters16

You just cannot replace his influence. Rooney always delivers. Goals, assists, energy, determination.
Yeah we all get frustrated with his touch and his passing but goals are whats most important.
6 goals in 8 games is simply brilliant and if we shove Rooney up front all of next season, he'd bag a cool 30 with ease.

I'd like to be in James Wilson's boots. Imagine asking Rooney to explain how he scored that goals against Villa.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I admire his determination, he kept driving for victory. His persistence has created some goals this season. He has proven to me that he deserves to be captain for his spirit as much as his performance.
Yep, agreed.

Trizy

That's why they call them highlights:lol:. Only joking, his effort is not questioned, but him, Fellani and Carrick seemed to give the ball away, or be a bit lethargic for most of the match.
The good thing about that though is for them players once in form its rare for them to have bad games, the only one I'd worry about losing confidence is Rooney but how could he leave after that goal and assist without confidence?

Getting the once-off bad game out of the way for 3 of our big players against a lower team that we beat is very good. I expect them all to be fine after a week of training to batter City.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Most importantly, he score goals when playing up front. Sixth in eight games since LVG came to his senses and moved him up.
Yesterday he scored when he was moved to midfield. I don't get it, was Fergie stupid not to move him up front all those years? Why is it when a player scores a lot of goals from positions an attacking midfielder should get in, he should be 'promoted' to central striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.