Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Your agenda is ridiculous. You think Rooney's been fine but you are critisizeing Mata. :lol:

Another shit game for Rooney, we would be even better if he was any better in last three games.
Learn to read you muppet. I'm not criticizing Mata at all and that should have been obvious if you could read.

Shit game and apparently I am the one with the agenda:lol:

Mister_Stubbs

Wasn't at he's best today but I think that's more down to that the three City center backs throughout the game kept him at an arms length. That said the pass for Juan Mata's goal was sexual.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
We wouldn't have.

People are just absolutely crazy when it comes to Rooney. Had a very good game as a #9 today, did what he had to. I'm sure Van Gaal was very happy with his performance.
I'm not sure he did. He was just okay today after being largely crap for the first 50-60 mins. It certainly wasn't one of his better games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Didn't have a major direct impact on the game but didn't need to. Still played with passion and no doubt affected the game and the way we played indirectly.

NessunDorma

Because Mata rarely does that - Rooney has a poor first touch, and it is something I find it weird that commentators don't pick up on.
Rooney was playing further forward, with his back to goal, while being tightly marked by centre backs who are bigger and physically stronger he is. It's hard to bring the ball under control in those circumstances.

Certainly harder than receiving it in midfield, where there's a bit more time and space.

That's probably why when Rooney dropped deeper, nothing got away from him. And why during his period in midfield, his losses of possession per game via a bad touch compared favourably with Aguero's, Sanchez's, Hazard's, Costa's, Ozil's, etc. That's a fact borne out by the stats.

Speaking of Aguero, I thought he did nothing today apart from the goals.

That's a pretty big 'apart from' though, and is really besides the point. He is in that team to score, and he did, twice.

The point i'm making is that it's not only Rooney who can look a bit 'meh' while still contributing goals and assists. But Rooney, because there's a greater focus on him, gets far more harshly criticised for it.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He's been hit or miss as a centre forward to be honest. Looks like he'd rather play deeper and be more involved, but that would come at a cost as our midfield has been so much better since he hasn't been in it. The Spurs game was great but since then, not been very good at all although the Villa goal was a cracker. One thing he always offers is high work rate, but his ability on the ball has been mediocre.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Got an assist, constantly pressed and occupied the defenders... Didn't have a huge on the ball impact but it's his work rate and off the ball work which is streets above any other striker bar tevez.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We wouldn't have.

People are just absolutely crazy when it comes to Rooney. Had a very good game as a #9 today, did what he had to. I'm sure Van Gaal was very happy with his performance.
He's better than our other forwards but that isn't saying much. If a Suarez or Aguero type forward was on the market I'd snap em up as soon as possible and relegate him to our back up striker.

I really appreciate Waynes endeavour this year.. his charisma and energy has been top notch but in terms of technique and athleticism he isn't world class any more throughout a game... he has moments of brilliance but in terms of beating players and having a consistent touch under pressure .. very hit and miss. He is a hard working centre forward now but to take this team to an even higher level we need a world class player up top - if indeed one is available.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He kept the CBs occupied, managed a few flicks to partners when he finally got on the ball and wasn't wasteful at all in difficult positions. It was a very hard game to play and he was very good in the role he was meant to play.
Yea he kept them busy and he got an assist which is always important, but he had a very heavy touch and a few things fell apart due to him. It wasn't a very good game for him by any stretch, and it's undermining him to suggest it was.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Having watched the replay of their 2nd goal, he's actually at fault, given that he was assigned the DM role.

Overall, he wasn't great, but hasn't been required to do much.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yea he kept them busy and he got an assist which is always important, but he had a very heavy touch and a few things fell apart due to him. It wasn't a very good game for him by any stretch, and it's undermining him to suggest it was.
I wasn't clear. I don't think he was excellent or anywhere near our best player, loads of others had better games than him. But he was deployed in a very specific role in which he was not going to shine, but was ultimately really important in ensuring that the gameplan went as planned, and that other players shined.

And yeah, getting that assist for the third goal was very important. Put the game to bed for us.

Devil may care

Some loose first touches today but he pressed their CB's relentlessly and got a quality assist for Mata's goal.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We wouldn't have.

I don't think he was overly great today, but I agree that people can be incredibly reactionary when it comes to Rooney.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I don't think he was overly great today, but I agree that people can be incredibly reactionary when it comes to Rooney.
If he isn't amazing, then fans aren't interested in what he has to offer, they just brand him as crap, which is funny because an assist is usually enough to vindicate a crappy performance from Di Maria....but not for Rooney.

sometimes I wonder what this thread would look like if Rooney played like Di Maria this season.

Orton

If he isn't amazing, then fans aren't interested in what he has to offer, they just brand him as crap, which is funny because an assist is usually enough to vindicate a crappy performance from Di Maria....but not for Rooney.

sometimes I wonder what this thread would look like if Rooney played like Di Maria this season.
Who is vindicating Di Maria now? Pretty sure most of this place wanted Young to start over him today. Always have to bring other players into it when Rooney has a poor game. It's either no service, marked by the defenders, always an excuse. Everyone laughs at the quality of Kompany and Demechelis these days, and don't even mention Mangala, yet Rooney couldn't get an inch out of them all game. The assist was great yeah, clear offside though and he wasted 2 big chances in the first half with that weird touch and ignoring Fellaini's run. Like I said and others say, his work rate is second to none, but his actual ability is as inconsistent as it gets. Bordering Falcao levels today until that assist.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who is vindicating Di Maria now? Pretty sure most of this place wanted Young to start over him today. Always have to bring other players into it when Rooney has a poor game. It's either no service, marked by the defenders, always an excuse. Everyone laughs at the quality of Kompany and Demechelis these days, and don't even mention Mangala, yet Rooney couldn't get an inch out of them all game. The assist was great yeah, clear offside though and he wasted 2 big chances in the first half with that weird touch and ignoring Fellaini's run. Like I said and others say, his work rate is second to none, but his actual ability is as inconsistent as it gets. Bordering Falcao levels today until that assist.
shhhh! he only reason we're winning games is because Rooney is doing some Rambo - one man army - stuff. Everyone with good cop-on knows Roone isn't very good technically and doesn't have great vision. What he will give you though is much better pressing off the ball, okayish work rate down the channels and he's one of he best poachers in he game. Unfortunaely for us, RVP has great technique and touch, but doesn't have the pace and work rate of Rooney. If we could get the best of both we'd have the ultimate number 9. It's hard to find strikers to be the perfect lone striker - Benzema and Lewandowski are the best by far.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Well, you try to talk about Di Maria's crappy performances and fans throw his stats at you to vindicate him, why shouldn't Rooney be vindicated in the same way too ? It's not like we were hitting City with that direct play from the Middle, our strategy today would have left any CF dormant,this is where Rooney comes in, his work rate and ability to play like a midfielder helped the teams fluid attacks, Rooney could easily have been at the end of that ball to Smalling.

This is not to say he wasn't poor at times, he still offers more to the team than any Striker we have.

It's like with Rooney "its score a brace or you're crap", Aguero just came off a 6 game goal drought,don't think Rooney can be afforded such luxury on here, you see some people calling for Falcao...... To do what exactly?

Orton

Well, you try to talk about Di Maria's crappy performances and fans throw his stats at you to vindicate him, why shouldn't Rooney be vindicated in the same way too ? It's not like we were hitting City with that direct play from the Middle, our strategy today would have left any CF dormant,this is where Rooney comes in, his work rate and ability to play like a midfielder helped the teams fluid attacks, Rooney could easily have been at the end of that ball to Smalling.

This is not to say he wasn't poor at times, he still offers more to the team than any Striker we have.

It's like with Rooney "its score a brace or you're crap", Aguero just came off a 6 game goal drought,don't think Rooney can be afforded such luxury on here, you see some people calling for Falcao...... To do what exactly?
In the first half alone I don't think he held the ball up under pressure once. Doesn't matter who you are playing against that's pretty shocking. Our attacks are fluid because we are playing proper midfielders and playing with loads of confidence.

Who was calling for Falcao exactly?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Rooney was poor today, again. Deal with it lads and move on because we beat City 4-2 and even I can get over this performance after that result.

JUPITER

Completely agree.

It's as if people don't understand the role he actually plays and the effect his tireless pressing and movement causes the opposition.

Replace Rooney with Falcao or RvP for the Liverpool and City wins and you'd see a very, very different game play out...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought was good. Not great, but he worked hard, made a lot of runs which made the other players space. It's not easy playing as a lone striker but he's doing a good job of it.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Great assist, besides that I thought he had an ordinary game. Some of the touches in the first half were horrendous, second half was a bit better.

Orton

Completely agree.

It's as if people don't understand the role he actually plays and the effect his tireless pressing and movement causes the opposition.

Replace Rooney with Falcao or RvP for the Liverpool and City wins and you'd see a very, very different game play out...
RVP hasn't had the luxury of playing in this perfectly balanced team, so making assumptions like that are daft. Rooney was one of our worst players in both games, yet we won both with possibly our best 2 performances of the season. Must be all Rooney.

Roman Bellic

Prick
RVP hasn't had the luxury of playing in this perfectly balanced team, so making assumptions like that are daft. Rooney was one of our worst players in both games, yet we won both with possibly our best 2 performances of the season. Must be all Rooney.
Are you in any way suggesting we bench Rooney for RVP?

JUPITER

Van Persie couldn't press from the front as Rooney does, and that's what would make the difference that I'm talking about.

To suggest this team isn't benefitted massively from Rooney's work rate is idiotic - likewise to suggest RvP or Falcao could do a similar job is just laughable.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I haven't really followed any of the argument and I understand Rooney had an average game today but there is no way Van Persie could do the role we're asking Rooney to do. Our pressing game from the front really relies on Rooney just being on edge constantly. Given we're playing Mata and Fellaini behind him you really need someone like Rooney up front.

Orton

Van Persie couldn't press from the front as Rooney does, and that's what would make the difference that I'm talking about.

To suggest this team isn't benefitted massively from Rooney's work rate is idiotic - likewise to suggest RvP or Falcao could do a similar job is just laughable.
I never mentioned Falcao. I'm saying the team is finally settled and RVP didn't benefit from that earlier in the season.

Varun

Staff
We wouldn't have.

Very good game?

He worked very hard and did well off the ball but the quality just wasnt there on the ball. It was an average performance. Glad he atleast picked it up in the 2nd half. 1st half was poor.

Djemba-Djemba

Quietest attacking Utd player on the pitch but he did get better as the game went on, nice assist for the 3rd goal.

Nothing special today but who cares. Celebrate the victory!

Brophs

The One and Only
I thought he was good. He worked hard and kept bringing into the game, which gave us a great platform to build from.

Status
Not open for further replies.