Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

not that he was any good at Goodison but he sucks for some games now and not even that fantastic as no9 tbh... still think we can get better player to lead the line...Can see Rooney being a problem similar to Gerrard and Lampard for Lpool and Chelsea respectively.. The only think which makes him look like a great striker is that Falcao and Van Persie are so dire. And don't take me wrong he's great striker on his day but too many frustrating performances and there are better options out on the market but he will be captain and finish his career here:rolleyes:

Kag

I'd entirely disagree with that.
If he isn't a #9 then he's up shit creek then. But I think he is. Phenomenal finisher, good movement, proven ability to score goals, can press well and holds the ball up to a reasonable standard. So yeah, I think we're in safe hands.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest, he is a striker built for the 4-4-2 formation. We really need a Modern forward who is good at making space for himself in the box, being able to control the ball in tight areas and get a shot away under pressure.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Falcao was beyond horrendous but Rooney wasn't that much better. RvP deserves a runout in the rotation of shitness.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If he isn't a #9 then he's up shit creek then. But I think he is. Phenomenal finisher, good movement, proven ability to score goals, can press well and holds the ball up to a reasonable standard. So yeah, I think we're in safe hands.
Well, no. He's played the majority of his career as a #10/second striker. He's at his most comfortable when he's playing off someone and that I think is fairly obvious. He's a very good finisher, so he'll score goals when played up top.

Rezyuz

... What a disaster of a comment. Go away.
Why because im not a jarhead that nods along?

His form has been a disaster. In nearly every single game the past 2 months hes been a disaster. Yet he gets credit by people coming up with excuses, and even while on a long run of bad plays he still is the first name on the paper.

You all accepted mediocre a long time ago, thats why you don't complain.

If United wants to become among the best clubs of the world again then dropping Rooney completely is a requirement.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
You presumably think RVP and Falcao are past it then? See I'm of the opinion that both still have a lot to offer and would look different players in a team firing on full cylinders playing a system that plays to their strengths. I don't think Falcao will ever work here, but RVP has potential as he's not had a chance when we've been playing well.
I certainly hope Van Persie isn't past it, but he has shown some physical problems. I actually think he has had a few very silent games this season, but on the whole did all right. Falcao has never been at his level, just a finisher with an insecure first touch and not cut out to play with his back to goal, and not a real top player anyway.

I like Rooney, but not as a centre forward in 4-3-3. In 4-4-2 he should be second striker, and in 4-3-3 therefore a '10', attacking midfielder. It's a difficult job to play cf in 4-3-3, different from 'normal' strikers job. I know for sure Van Persie can do it, but not just any good striker.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Why because im not a jarhead that nods along?

His form has been a disaster. In nearly every single game the past 2 months hes been a disaster. Yet he gets credit by people coming up with excuses, and even while on a long run of bad plays he still is the first name on the paper.

You all accepted mediocre a long time ago, thats why you don't complain.

If United wants to become among the best clubs of the world again then dropping Rooney completely is a requirement.

Im just going to quote this to give it more exposure.

Kag

Well, no. He's played the majority of his career as a #10/second striker. He's at his most comfortable when he's playing off someone and that I think is fairly obvious. He's a very good finisher, so he'll score goals when played up top.
I disagree. His best ever season was when playing as the central forward. He's too predictable behind the striker, slows down the tempo and the way we currently operate under Van Gaal isn't conducive to the way Rooney has previously excelled in that position. So he's either right up top or on the bench, for me. I prefer the former.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I disagree. His best ever season was when playing as the central forward. He's too predictable behind the striker, slows down the tempo and the way we currently operate under Van Gaal isn't conducive to the way Rooney has previously excelled in that position. So he's either right up top or on the bench, for me. I prefer the former.
Right up top under Van Gaal is a different job than up top under SAF.

Zen86

Wherever Rooney plays, he always ends up needing to play somewhere else to get the best out of him, whether it's #9, #10 or midfield.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His best ever period of form was when he played behind Hernandez for me..as a #10.

Whether he's predictable or not behind the front man generally depends on who he's playing with or how fast our tempo is. Play as we are, and he's not the only one passing it out wide though he's certainly the only to get constantly picked out for it.

As it is, he's no less predictable any of our other supposed creative players.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
In poor form and really should be dropped for it but unfortunately our other strikers are Van Persie (injured/way off form), Falcao (useless) and Wilson who's a youth prospect and won't be displacing him. He actually might not make West Brom anyway depending on how bad that knock is.

Kag

His best ever period of form was when he played behind Hernandez for me..as a #10.

Whether he's predictable or not behind the front man generally depends on who he's playing with or how fast our tempo is. Play as we are, and he's not the only one passing it out wide though he's certainly the only to get constantly picked out for it.

As it is, he's no less predictable any of our other supposed creative players.
Higher tempo definitely seems to suit Rooney, but the problem then is that his general play throughout the build up tends to stand out for what it really is; laborious and untidy. Playing up top negates those weaknesses and better serves his strengths, albeit I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

buckooo1978

very good player who hasn't consistently (over a ten game spell for example) put in very good performances for years

I dunno about Rooney...... he seems to have really drifted in and out of games lately - I was hoping to see him try and bully Stones today but he struggled to get involved - he seemed a bit lethargic also

Falcao and RVP drifted in and out of games too.....is it a problem with our tactics? we can't seem to involve our number 9 in the game

SambaBoy

Was terrible today, lack of effort and his first touch was all over the place. In his defence when he received the ball, no-one got close to him and he was isolated up there but for a top class striker he should be doing better.

Rezyuz

Im just going to quote this to give it more exposure.
You are acting like the ass kissing kid in class.

If you actually believe Rooney has been good the past 2 months then you are a clown.

You might support the club as a die hard fan, but that doesn't mean you should be oblivious for obvious problems.

I assume you found Valencia's display today amazing too right because of his positive attitude and workrate.

Because thats pretty much Rooney in a nutshell.

m1y2

Wherever Rooney plays, he always ends up needing to play somewhere else to get the best out of him, whether it's #9, #10 or midfield.
haha that's right, the problem is he's not best anywhere he's well rounded player who is capable of some brilliant thing ehwn everything clicks but apart that he can be very frustrating delivering too many 6/10 performances.. should have been sold imo, he's three+years past it.. ankle injuries and whatever else fecked his sharp movement, he's adapted quite well but not to be no1 at any position. Shame I liked Rooney and his potential but he's declining for years..

jem

not that he was any good at Goodison but he sucks for some games now and not even that fantastic as no9 tbh... still think we can get better player to lead the line...Can see Rooney being a problem similar to Gerrard and Lampard for Lpool and Chelsea respectively.. The only think which makes him look like a great striker is that Falcao and Van Persie are so dire. And don't take me wrong he's great striker on his day but too many frustrating performances and there are better options out on the market but he will be captain and finish his career here:rolleyes:
You had a pretty good post until you threw in the tiring, and completely unnecessary eye-roll at the end. There's nothing wrong with Rooney finishing his career here, or being captain for that matter. However, he is approaching 30 and would hardly be the first player to start going downhill at that age. I think a striker should be a priority this summer.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I would give RVP a run of games up front on his own the way Rooney is playing right now.

Walters_19_MuFc

There were countless times Rooney showed for the ball today and we didn't find his feet. The few times we did, we created danger. For example, when someone played it into his feet and he laid it off to the on running Herrera.

I think this is where we missed Carrick, though. He's the only player from deep we have who constantly picks out those passes and find players in between the lines. Blind, whilst being good on the ball, hasn't got that in his locker and spends too much time on the ball thinking about the pass.

Rezyuz

There were countless times Rooney showed for the ball today and we didn't find his feet. The few times we did, we created danger. For example, when someone played it into his feet and he laid it off to the on running Herrera.

I think this is where we missed Carrick, though. He's the only player from deep we have who constantly picks out those passes and find players in between the lines. Blind, whilst being good on the ball, hasn't got that in his locker and spends too much time on the ball thinking about the pass.
Which is pretty much the problem. Rooney always relies on the team performing great in order to perform himself.

A striker needs to be able to make something out of nothing. And Rooney does this way to little compared to his younger days. And people need to start accepting/seeing that.

Walters_19_MuFc

Which is pretty much the problem. Rooney always relies on the team performing great in order to perform himself.

A striker needs to be able to make something out of nothing. And Rooney does this way to little compared to his younger days. And people need to start accepting/seeing that.

Not just Rooney, though. The 'team' performs better with Carrick. This is why Herrera, Fellaini, Mata and co. (basically players who play in between the lines) weren't as effective today either. Blind just plays it side to side, whereas Carrick find players in good positions, where they can create danger.

Also, how you can say Rooney can't create something out of nothing baffles me. Sure it might be less than when he was younger, but he still do so. See his goal vs Spurs or Villa, for example.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He's suffering just like our other strikers were being starved of service, yet getting ripped into for being past it. Heck Rooney looks like nothing special at all in most of his run of games up front, but I don't really blame him completely. He's put in a top game against Spurs, and scored a few before that but really, past 5 games he's done very little and apart from a superb goal against Villa it's been just like deja vu with our other strikers most of the season. It's like clutching at straws saying he is doing all this off the ball stuff because it's nothing groundbreaking at all really. It's the standard stuff you expect when a guy plays up top and something Falcao done mostly last week, with both not looking threatening at all. The good run came because the midfield for me. They still don't connect well with the striker.

Look at this run infact,

Sunderland, rubbish game, 2 goals after a red card.
Newcastle, average, although had a part to play in the goal.
Spurs, top performance with a good goal.
Liverpool, pretty bad.
Villa, pretty bad with a goal out of nowhere near the end.
City, silent domination!!!
Chelsea, out of position, average.
today, pretty bad.

Quite the trend, and shows that the problem must be more than just the striker, rather the team not getting him in the game enough and the same goes for when RVP was playing.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
haha that's right, the problem is he's not best anywhere he's well rounded player who is capable of some brilliant thing ehwn everything clicks but apart that he can be very frustrating delivering too many 6/10 performances.. should have been sold imo, he's three+years past it.. ankle injuries and whatever else fecked his sharp movement, he's adapted quite well but not to be no1 at any position. Shame I liked Rooney and his potential but he's declining for years..
I don't think he's past it, he has always been like that. Technically he has never been amongst the most gifted, he always had matches with lots of poor touches when not in form. He's a top player because he combines decent skill with agility, industry, fight and vison, not because he's as gifted as he was made out to be in his early years.

Gannicus

Rooney's problem is that he's incredibly streaky. 5 games on, 5 games off. We'll see one more great run from him before he heads off to the beach.

Rezyuz

Not just Rooney, though. The 'team' performs better with Carrick. This is why Herrera, Fellaini, Mata and co. (basically players who play in between the lines) weren't as effective today either. Blind just plays it side to side, whereas Carrick find players in good positions, where they can create danger.

Also, how you can say Rooney can't create something out of nothing baffles me. Sure it might be less than when he was younger, but he still do so. See his goal vs Spurs or Villa, for example.
Apart from the horrible defending, naming 1 goal...5 weeks ago? Which was already a winning game hardly makes a difference.

Where was he against liverpool? city? today? If you cannot rely on your sole striker to net in his chances (and he had plenty) then GG

Status
Not open for further replies.