Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope he's one do two main strikers next season, with the other one being a new singing. Depending entirely on him as the main striker doesn't make sense right now. He's too far behind the top strikers.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
If he's the best striker we've got come September 1st, we're in trouble next season.

Jacob

I am puzzled about his best position these days. It feels like a catch-22 situation, there are better numbers 9s out there, same goes for 10s.

Godfather

Problem is that he is more or less undroppable. Even if we get in a better striker than him, we will still play Rooney. No idea where but he'll play when fit, no matter how wank his form is.

markhrad

LVG is the one manager that I think is strong enough to make the right decision concerning Rooney. Rooney is still King in most supporters' minds but LVG must know that for us to be successful Rooney's role must be diminished. He will do what he needs to do for us to be champions, his ego will not succumb to fans wishes.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He has 14 goals to his name despite playing in midfield a lot. He's not the player he once used to be, but can always get you a goal. I don't see the reason for all the negativity regarding Rooney. If you want to talk about a steep decline, look at Falcao and now even van Persie.

Bwuk

Ive saying he's a massive problem going forward last season and throughout this.

It is ridiculous Moyes got to give him that contract. Ferguson would of sold him, and rightfully so. Rooneys best days are long past him.

We have to hope he can adapt to a midfield role, because he isn't the answer as a #9 anymore, and him being captain thus playing when fit is a problem unless he can adapt to midfield.

NoPace

If we sign the right players behind him. I think he'll have a good 15-16 season. He's a great finisher and a better creative mind than most number 9s.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
When he signed that contract last year, I'd mentally prepared myself for a few more years of seeing him put in below par performances with a few high points sprinkled in between. No surprises here. Still a good player but one on a wane.

hp88

He seems to be happy with the current situation so there's no need for him to initiate a move and I can't see LVG binning his captain anytime soon. Also selling him won't be an easy task as the clubs who can meet his wage demands arguably have better strikers in their first team, buying Rooney and making him the second / backup option would be a rather expensive move. He might prove some of us wrong and bag 20+ goals but the chances of him doing that until 2018 are slim.

JackXX

His season has tailed off badly. Very poor again yesterday and offered little.

amolbhatia50k

If we sign the right players behind him. I think he'll have a good 15-16 season. He's a great finisher and a better creative mind than most number 9s.
Creative mind is fine but you still have to retain the ball, hold it up and not mess up your touch, to be able to use your creative thoughts.

I agree that he'll have a good season if the team is better next season. But I still feel we have to have proper alternative that is more dynamic and explosive while not having Rooney's maturity infront of goal.

ottosec

I don't know what happens, but pretty much every season he is very poor after the new year. Last time I remember him having a good second part of the season was 2011 and then he basically missed almost all of the first part with his shit. Our very own Fabregas.

amolbhatia50k

He has 14 goals to his name despite playing in midfield a lot. He's not the player he once used to be, but can always get you a goal. I don't see the reason for all the negativity regarding Rooney. If you want to talk about a steep decline, look at Falcao and now even van Persie.
Rooney will get you goals. His calmness infront of goal ensures that. So if anyone thinks he is finished they're overreacting for sure.

However, does that automatically mean him alone being relied on is enough for us to win the premier league next season and challenge for big honors consistently? I dont think so.

Finishing aside, his all around game has steeply declined, as has his explosiveness. If you look at the other teams and the guys they have upfront - Costa and Aguero and before this season Suarez at Liverpool - Rooney is far below them. His game is passive in nature and his all around game usually just about does enough or really clearly doesn't. Even his physical presence simply isn't there anymore. Rarely does he bully defenders with his physical attributes or frighten them with his skill. But he does give you mental strength, calmness infront of goal and now, a bit of leadership.

I think getting a top striker would fantastic. But given that's usually not easy, we need to invest in someone with proper explosiveness upfront, someone who can turn centre backs and put fright in them, who isn't necessarily fully developed and matured and hence not a top striker. But hopefully we can take him there in a year or two's time.

amolbhatia50k

Also, I want to focus on Rooney's physical presence. Why is it now so poor? As a young player he used be known for his "power" play. Now, he seems a bit feeble really, and defenders are able to dispossess him far too easily. He doesn't win nearly enough "battles" for me and that's essential for a number 9.

In his last top top season as a centre forward when he got 30 goals and his injury hurt us towards the fag end, I remember that he used to hold the ball up excellently and really play physically like a centre forward should.

I don't want this to be seen as an inane bashing of Rooney but does anyone else feel he could do more in this sense? Or has his physical characteristics and him as a football just changed now.

Kidders

I am probably in the minority on here but I think it's time to consider letting Rooney go, the reason being that since being made captain he plays regardless of form or formation, just where is his best position ?
Number 9 ?( no chance while we play a lone striker), Number 10 ? (Not for me unless we get the ball forward quicker) midfield ? ( not disciplined enough).
I think he has lost his spark, even become complacent ? Maybe its time for a new challenge.

nick2004

Rooney was our best outfield player this year! Again!

He will definitely be the most important part of our forward line next year. And the captain of our squad.

I hope that he will score enough goals to become our best ever striker!

Sparky Rhiwabon

I hope that people are starting to see what I have seen for a long time - that is is (and has been for some time) in decline. He has far more mediocre games than great ones these days. Nowhere near strikers like Aguero or Suarez that are needed to even challenge Chelsea.

SAF had obviously seen it 2 years ago.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Rooney was our best outfield player this year! Again!

He will definitely be the most important part of our forward line next year. And the captain of our squad.

I hope that he will score enough goals to become our best ever striker!
Like I said above, I think his all round game is very good, I just don't think he really excels at anything.

He doesn't always seem to have the positional disipline to play as a lone striker (Muller)
He doesn't have the speed to cause problems (Aguero)
He doesn't have the technique to dribble passed players (Suarez)
He doesn't have the height to cause problems in the air (Crouch :lol:) (especially with all our crosses late on in this season)

He can do a bit of everything, he just doesn't seem to really have a stand out skill. Well, his long range passing is exceptional

Blue always red

Rooney's finishing is not the problem, the problem is relying on Rooney to both create and finish. Start creating chances and he'll score.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
He's been great for us over a long time, and he's scored some vital goals. His contribution and effort cannot be understated, but I really would not mind him being sold this summer. He would be a great squad-player, but I just cannot shake the feeling that we need better players in any of the positions he can fill. I highly doubt that he wants to stay on as a rotation option though, but he's honestly not good enough to be starting for us, neither as a #9, nor a #10 or any other position.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Not sure why any of you are wasting your time saying he should be sold

It is not going to happen.

Kidders

He's been great for us over a long time, and he's scored some vital goals. His contribution and effort cannot be understated, but I really would not mind him being sold this summer. He would be a great squad-player, but I just cannot shake the feeling that we need better players in any of the positions he can fill. I highly doubt that he wants to stay on as a rotation option though, but he's honestly not good enough to be starting for us, neither as a #9, nor a #10 or any other position.
I totally agree with all of this.

Dracula

caf plane air-master

Indeed. He's captain, he's undroppable.

As others have said though, the main problem with rooney this season has been the good awful service.

A good example of how important that is can be seen with Chelsea. Costa isn't brilliant, he's probably about the same level as rooney can be when he's arsed enough. Is the standard of service he's received at Chelsea which has been exceptional

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Yeah, I’m not really getting why people want him to be sold. He wasn’t magnificent this season by any means, but he was still one of our better outfield players, and managed to finish as our top scorer despite sometimes being lumped into midfield. Unless we strengthen there in the summer, he’s going to be the best forward we have available. Definitely not someone we should sell at the moment.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Costa is a lot better than Rooney.
He definitely is, and I’d say the same for Aguero obviously. I do think that Rooney’s not been at his very best for a few years now, but he’s probably still the best option we have available up front.

amolbhatia50k

He definitely is, and I’d say the same for Aguero obviously. I do think that Rooney’s not been at his very best for a few years now, but he’s probably still the best option we have available up front.
He is, which is why we should consider getting a new signing, someone on the up.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Indeed. He's captain, he's undroppable.

As others have said though, the main problem with rooney this season has been the good awful service.

A good example of how important that is can be seen with Chelsea. Costa isn't brilliant, he's probably about the same level as rooney can be when he's arsed enough. Is the standard of service he's received at Chelsea which has been exceptional
Don't know how you can say Costa isn't brilliant. When he's actually fully fit he's easily one of the 3-4 best strikers in the world.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He is, which is why we should consider getting a new signing, someone on the up.
Yeah, I’d say we should be looking to sign a new striker. The only problem may be as to whether it’s a priority area – we need a new GK if De Gea goes, and a new CB, as well as a new right-back potentially. We’re probably going to need at least one of a central midfielder or winger, so if LVG sees them as more important, we may not add any strikers.

And even if we did add one, I don’t think it’s Rooney who should be sacrificed and sold. He arguably offers us more in overall play than RVP does, and obviously Falcao is likely to be heading out.

amolbhatia50k

Don't know how you can say Costa isn't brilliant. When he's actually fully fit he's easily one of the 3-4 best strikers in the world.
Definitely. He was actually the possibly best player in la liga during 13-14, and he's been great in the premier league but hampered by injuries.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, I’d say we should be looking to sign a new striker. The only problem may be as to whether it’s a priority area – we need a new GK if De Gea goes, and a new CB, as well as a new right-back potentially. We’re probably going to need at least one of a central midfielder or winger, so if LVG sees them as more important, we may not add any strikers.

And even if we did add one, I don’t think it’s Rooney who should be sacrificed and sold. He arguably offers us more in overall play than RVP does, and obviously Falcao is likely to be heading out.
It's probably not an area we can afford to spend big on given we have Rooney and need to make other signings, but I hope we let falcao and Rvp and pull off a shrewd buy. Like juve did with tevez, or a younger striker with not long to go before reaching top striker levels.

m1y2

layman would say we've got all these top class strikers looking at these names: Falcao, RVP, Rooney, all of them massively declined, all top teams and some midtable ones have better strikers than us. we should do something with it, I hope LVG has got balls to sell rooney to MLS or anywhere, even with his wages we would have 3+ great players..

The biggest BS people say here that he needs service, he's not getting the best one but we are surely not that bad and he needs to do better up front to get to those chances.. I don't say welbz was better, he wasn't good finisher but he could operate in tight spaces could over sprint anyone, actually press the defense and goalkeeper. I think even his hold up and link up play was better.

Rooney's so slow it's unbelievable, last game he was chasing the ball and I thought myself "Is he going straight from pub"? he can't control the ball well and his wonder skills he shows from time to time and quite creative thinking are too inconsistent and doesn't make up for his terrible movement and touch.

When you look at Costa, Suarez, Aguero, Kane... they do so much more than finish, the days of pure no9 strikers are all gone, we shouldn't settle for that rooney is only going to finish chances.. sell him before we can get some cash for him

Status
Not open for further replies.