Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just realised he contracted till 2019 on that wage, wow, he'll be 34 then... do we really think hes going to have a another 4 years at the very top level?

SirAF

Ageist
Just realised he contracted till 2019 on that wage, wow, he'll be 34 then... do we really think hes going to have a another 4 years at the very top level?
I touched upon this in another thread, and I really think we have a real problem on our hands here. He might be fine for another season but I can't see anything else happening other then that his decline will continue.
For my money, Ferguson saw this coming (which is why he dropped Rooney for the Madrid tie) and tried to make it easy for Moyes to get rid - however, Moyes took it upon himself to revive Rooney (which he to be fair, managed to do to a certain extent but not enough to justify it imo) and gave him a big fat long term contract which we are now stuck with.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

we have been pretty poor away from home all season in fairness.
something like 21 away league goals only?

would be interesting to see how many of the 19 games Rooney actually played as a striker for 90mins in

Shark

@NotShark
If we sign a top class striker in the summer and one or two more quality midfielders, well then where exactly does that leave Rooney? I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's still brilliant when on his game, but his competition this season was a declined RVP, a next to useless Falcao and Wilson, a youngster. I'd imagine that will change big time next season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I’m not sure. I used to think he’d eventually drop back into a midfield role permanently and perform fairly well in around 2011 when he was performing superbly as a second striker, but I doubt that’ll happen now.

He’ll hopefully still have a couple of good years in him though, and may remain a useful squad player even if he’s past his very best.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember thinking we'd have been better off selling Rooney when Moyes took over. Events after that proved me wrong though as RVP's form dipped along with that of the team in general and suddenly Rooney seemed an essential player again. His attitude and the way he embraced the captaincy has also impressed, I think.

Problem is, if we keep improving then we will eventually return to a point where we have better players in the positions he plays, which will make it difficult to justify starting him. We already have a better #10 in Mata imo and if we were to sign a top quality striker then Rooney wouldn't deserve to start as a #9 either (in much the same way RVP took the role when he arrived). Add in however other many signings and what happens to Rooney?

Not a problem right now but it could become one very quickly.

AttackingFlair

I remember thinking we'd have been better off selling Rooney when Moyes took over. Events after that proved me wrong though as RVP's form dipped along with that of the team in general and suddenly Rooney seemed an essential player again. His attitude and the way he embraced the captaincy has also impressed, I think.

Problem is, if we keep improving then we will eventually return to a point where we have better players in the positions he plays, which will make it difficult to justify starting him. We already have a better #10 in Mata imo and if we were to sign a top quality striker then Rooney wouldn't deserve to start as a #9 either (in much the same way RVP took the role when he arrived). Add in however other many signings and what happens to Rooney?

Not a problem right now but it could become one very quickly.
Rooney's been better as a 10 than Mata for us. 4 starts, 4 goals and 1 assist this season. Mata didn't play better when Rooney served his 3 match ban.

Oo0AahCantona

How do you solve a problem like Wayne Rooney. Hell of a problem to have though. I still believe he can be a 20 goal + a season number 9, but the problem we have is putting all our eggs in one basket as falcao is gone, hernandez isnt good enough and rvp seems long past it. so bringing in a young player as backup could be incredibly risky considering last year we just couldn't score any goals.

Whatever team we put out currently, is improved by Waynes presence, but oddly enough he isn't the best player we have in any one position and considering we could really do with a benzema/lewandowski muller level striker in the side, where do we put him? By reverting him back to a no.10 im not sure we have the midfielders to play effectively in a 2 man midfield, you would need somebody a bit sturdier than hererra to partner carrick in a 2, and hererra is too good a player to bench.

Maybe im overthinking things.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rooney's been better as a 10 than Mata for us. 4 starts, 4 goals and 1 assist this season. Mata didn't play better when Rooney served his 3 match ban.
Still think Mata is the better player now though. He's younger and he's previously reached a higher level at #10 than what we've seen from him so far.

If we're talking about including only one of them as permanent fixture in the first team for the foreseeable future then it should be Mata every time imo.

Name Changed

weso26
Is Rooney good enough realistically to be our main striker in the formation we play? Does he score enough? If we wanted to mount a realistic title challenge next year, could we do it with Rooney as the main man?

marlowe78

Is Rooney good enough realistically to be our main striker in the formation we play? Does he score enough? If we wanted to mount a realistic title challenge next year, could we do it with Rooney as the main man?
His natural goal-scoring abilities alone would guarantee 15-20 goals in a season but IMO he looks to be slowing down. I mean, he may be one of our quicker players up front but as a team overall we're slow. LVG also seems to want a high-possession striker who can hold up the play and service other players moving forward, which is why van Persie played so much early on in the season even when he wasn't scoring. Rooney's touch and ball retention abilities are bad these days, even Welbeck would've been better at it if we kept him.

bucky

He's the sort of striker like Benzema and Lewandowski, who can keep the centre backs occupied and who can provide assists or create chances for players like Memphis and Bale. If we use him like that, he's a very good fit, but I don't think he'll be the goal-scoaring machine he was in 09/10 and 11/12 again.

steffyr2

I agree. It's easy to forget what Rooney's strengths are when watching him in the current system.

He is a world class counter attacking player. His decision making on the break, and ability make runs into the box at the right time is second only to Ronaldo. I can easily see why Mourinho would want to work with him, they'd be perfect for each other. What he is not particularly good at, is finding an opening in a tight defense... which is what we've had to face almost every single game this season.

I don't think he's likely to get us +25 a season goals under LvG, but if our wingers start chipping in with goals, I'm sure he'll be very useful for years to come.
When was the last time he made a Ronaldo-esque run into the box? I can remember him doing this when Ronaldo was playing next to him, which is 5 years or so ago.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Give it a rest you lot. There are many bigger problems in our squad than Wayne Rooney.
Right now, yes.

All we have to do is sign a striker who is currently better than Rooney though (Benzema, for example) and suddenly there's an argument that Rooney shouldn't get in the starting eleven. Given he's our captain and is on massive money that then becomes a fair problem.

nick2004

Right now, yes.

All we have to do is sign a striker who is currently better than Rooney though (Benzema, for example) and suddenly there's an argument that Rooney shouldn't get in the starting eleven. Given he's our captain and is on massive money that then becomes a fair problem.
This "problem" exists only in your mind! :lol:

When was the last time he made a Ronaldo-esque run into the box? I can remember him doing this when Ronaldo was playing next to him, which is 5 years or so ago.
He did it plenty after Ronaldo left too. His second goal at the Etihad game (2-3, RVP's injury time goal) comes to mind.

The way we played under Moyes and now LvG doesn't set him up in those positions at all.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Would like to see Rooney spear head a counter attacking system but most likely won't happen at United. Perhaps for England.

Rooney has also shown to be excellent as lone striker in a wing based attack.

He has shown this season to be average in a possession setup and RVP and Falcao looked even worse.

Will be interesting to see how LVG lines up next season with a summer to bring in more quality.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
A lot of people saying they doubt his ability to get goals prolifically, yet he's scored 14 in 37 this season - a pretty good total if you consider he spent a hell of a lot of time in midfield. On top of that, when he's played up front, it's hardly been as part of a swashbuckling, attacking team. With additional games next season, a more fixed position in the side and the team generally performing better as an attacking unit, I see no reason why he can't get 20+ goals.

Rooney is one of the few hardened leaders and winners in our squad - we should think carefully before jettisoning that. The issue is more how we can keep Rooney in a position on the pitch where he's going to get goalscoring chances on a regular basis and the key is to ensure the other areas of the pitch are manned properly, so he doesn't need to be shunted around. Not to mention the fact that we need to inject the team with a couple of pacier players.

We scored 62 this season - Chelsea won the league with 73 goals, but they had a pretty good defence. If we say you need to score 75 goals to be in contention, we're looking for another 13. I don't see that burden falling on one player. I reckon Depay could make up a good chunk of that. What I do like about our squad is the ability to spread the goals around - Herrera, Mata and Fellaini (urgh) should all be looking to get near 10 goals, for instance.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A lot of people saying they doubt his ability to get goals prolifically, yet he's scored 14 in 37 this season - a pretty good total if you consider he spent a hell of a lot of time in midfield. On top of that, when he's played up front, it's hardly been as part of a swashbuckling, attacking team. With additional games next season, a more fixed position in the side and the team generally performing better as an attacking unit, I see no reason why he can't get 20+ goals.

Rooney is one of the few hardened leaders and winners in our squad - we should think carefully before jettisoning that. The issue is more how we can keep Rooney in a position on the pitch where he's going to get goalscoring chances on a regular basis and the key is to ensure the other areas of the pitch are manned properly, so he doesn't need to be shunted around. Not to mention the fact that we need to inject the team with a couple of pacier players.

We scored 62 this season - Chelsea won the league with 73 goals, but they had a pretty good defence. If we say you need to score 75 goals to be in contention, we're looking for another 13. I don't see that burden falling on one player. I reckon Depay could make up a good chunk of that. What I do like about our squad is the ability to spread the goals around - Herrera, Mata and Fellaini (urgh) should all be looking to get near 10 goals, for instance.
Lots of sense here in a thread full of garbage for the most part.

finneh

The first paragraph is true for both Rooney and RVP though. The latter of which people have been lamented as totally finished all season. RVP has 10 goals in 27, whereas Rooney has 12 goals in 33. Rooney has played deeper more frequently, but RVP played far more at the start of the season when the whole team was diabolical and the system was a shambles. It'd actually be interesting to see Rooney's scoring stats in different positions, as this season in my mind he's seemed to score a similar amount from midfield, number 10 and striker (although that could be hugely inaccurate).

However I agree with a poster above that Rooney or the centre forward position in general isn't something we should be focusing on at the moment (unless Benzema becomes available). If we're creative enough Rooney and RVP will score 20+ goals next season if they get a full season. Also as you say Depay, Herrera, Mata, Di Maria & Fellaini should get another 30.

It's a somewhat pointless discussion anyway. Rooney will play every game he's fit for the next 2 seasons, pretty much regardless. He's Van Gaal's captain and our highest paid player with 4 years left on his contract. We have 4 options: him playing constantly in midfield, constantly as a number 10, constantly up front or a mixture of all 3. He isn't awful in any of these positions, but he isn't great in any of these positions.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Rooney hasnt spent that much time in midfield, it's getting really overplayed atm. He's scored 4 in 14 matches as a striker, and also has played as no 10. for big parts of tbe season. He's been the main striker since Rvp got injured, and he's scored like 2/3 goals in that period?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This "problem" exists only in your mind! :lol:
How so? I'm saying *if* we sign better players than Rooney in the positions he plays then his starting role comes under doubt. Given that we are being linked to (or already have) players in exactly those positions then it's hardly insane to wonder if/when that scenario might come to pass.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Wayne Rooney has scored 1 away goal in the Premier League since March 2014. [Football365]

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Focusing solely in goals is not enough. Rvp scored 10 in 25.

Not that I agree with selling him.

Ole'sbodyguard

Rooney hasnt spent that much time in midfield, it's getting really overplayed atm. He's scored 4 in 14 matches as a striker, and also has played as no 10. for big parts of tbe season. He's been the main striker since Rvp got injured, and he's scored like 2/3 goals in that period?
According to whoscored, he's played 14 games as a central midfielder, 4 games as an attacking midfielder and 14 games as a forward with one game as a forward on the left. It looks like they are just breaking down his league games.

That's plenty of games as a midfielder.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My stance is that we should avoid doing a big overhaul of the squad. However if we do want to make a large number of changes then I would definitely support a 'changing of the guard' as far as Rooney is concerned. I dont feel that the club owes him any enormous measure of loyalty after his contract shenanigans - and I just dont think he is good enough to be the main striker for an elite club any more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wish we could have Aguero or Suarez in our team just to see if it really is the strikers or the rest of the team.

I have a feeling watching those 2 that they would create/score goals in any team in the world, where as with Rooney I don't feel that anymore like I used too.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I wish we could have Aguero or Suarez in our team just to see if it really is the strikers or the rest of the team.

I have a feeling watching those 2 that they would create/score goals in any team in the world, where as with Rooney I don't feel that anymore like I used too.
That's exactly how I feel. I don't think he's got the physical attributes nor the intelligence to create space for himself anymore.

He's also lost the ability to turn his marker and make that extra yard to get a shot away in a split second like all top strikers do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's exactly how I feel. I don't think he's got the physical attributes nor the intelligence to create space for himself anymore.

He's also lost the ability to turn his marker and make that extra yard to get a shot away in a split second like all top strikers do.
Yep. People say "but he needs service", he never needed service when he was younger, he could beat players and make room by moving the defence around. It's not his fault but his body is catching up with him and just can't run like he used too. Yes if the team is build around him and used as a poacher he will still score, but in this team we need more than a poacher.

Stadjer

My stance is that we should avoid doing a big overhaul of the squad. However if we do want to make a large number of changes then I would definitely support a 'changing of the guard' as far as Rooney is concerned. I dont feel that the club owes him any enormous measure of loyalty after his contract shenanigans - and I just dont think he is good enough to be the main striker for an elite club any more.
I don't think we could lose Rooney even if we wanted too. He earns a huge amount of money. No other club can or will pay him the same amount of money.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Not worried about him tbh. A good rest this summer, then start him as a lone striker from day one of next season. We will definitely need cover if RVP is finished (I still think there's a good chance he can be a useful option but we'll see) because Rooney does pick up knocks and seems to take noticeably longer to recover from them than most players, which is the main area of concern. His ability is not in question for me.

Lentwood

I honestly think that Rooney is going to be a major problem next year. He isn't good enough to play in midfield at the top level, too often tries Hollywood passes rather than doing the simple thing, doesn't move the ball around quickly enough and is too one-footed (predictable). As a striker, I just can't see him playing the role that van Gaal expects from his centre forward. It will mainly be a season of playing with his back to goal acting to occupy the centre halves. He was praised for the way in which he did this against City but since then it hasn't happened.

I have always felt that once his pace and strength starts to go he will only be a good player, as opposed to a brilliant one. As he is captain I really cant see him being dropped but I can't see where he is going to fit in if we can bring a top striker in

Status
Not open for further replies.