Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

superdry

touched by a genius
How do you measure 'lost the reaction time to play at the top level'? If he scores a goal today and sends us top (which lets not kid ourselves, he is still capable of) does the reaction time argument go on the shelf for a week until the next non productive game?

I see you point and somewhat agree but bold statements like worst player in the league, can't play at the top level (general statements made by many) are just wrong and don't give the topic much perspective.
Law of averages means he'll be in the right place at the right time at several times during the season. Should he be there to benefit from it? I'm sure several of the youngsters played and played, irrespective of form will score an important goal for us. The reaction time is why he's slow, immobile, and unable to bring a ball under control quickly.

I'll sing like a canary in the sunshine if Rooney scores today, but it'll change nothing as far as United's progression is concerned, in fact it'll probably harm us if Rooney gets another ten games on the strength of it, whilst LVG procrastinates.

Born2Lose

I don't really understand how four months into the season his poor play is still being excused and Van Gaal remains unwilling to drop him.

Here's Rooney's chances created stats against players that I have read many times are not good enough to play for us.

Rooney - 1.10 Chances created per 90 minutes
Fellaini - 1.37
Milner - 2.31
Zaha - 1.72
Ayoze - 1.31

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But why does Rooney get hate for van Gaal playing him?
He doesn't. He gets criticized for his performances.

When people say he's rubbish they're saying he's playing poorly. When people say he needs to be dropped/sold they're talking about what the club/LVG should be doing/should do.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
He doesn't. He gets criticized for his performances.

When people say he's rubbish they're saying he's playing poorly. When people say he needs to be dropped/sold they're talking about what the club/LVG should be doing/should do.
I have seen plenty of abuse aimed directly at him for being selected. I agree that the idea behind criticism is directed at van Gaal but Rooney is the one copping it a lot of the time.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's not been short of generally poor performances in the last 3 years or so, but he's hit the lowest form of his career this season and it's not a coincidence at all. The tactics might play some part in this, but it's an empty excuse.

He came, he grew, he peaked and now the almighty fall is happening. He's still a reasonably good player, but he can't cut it at the level we need him to.

He's not the sole reason for the rubbish football, but there's no excuse for the touch at times. It's dreadful.

drdoityourself

Louis van Gaal insists he is “very satisfied” with Wayne Rooney’s contributions to Manchester United this season and claims it is not just the captain’s armband keeping him in the side.

Only Sir Bobby Charlton has scored more goals for United than Rooney, but he goes into the trip to Leicester on Saturday evening with just two in the Premier League this season as the club has struggled for goals.

Van Gaal’s philosophy has come in for plenty of criticism, though our feature explained why United fans must stay patient with the Dutchman and success will arrive in time.

But Rooney’s form remains a major line of questioning at Van Gaal’s pre-match press conferences, and it was no different on the eve of the Leicester game.

But United’s manager was again unequivocal in his backing when asked whether Rooney would still be picked if he was not skipper.

“Yes, of course,” Van Gaal said. “Otherwise he is out of the team. Wayne is doing a lot, has a very great contribution in the team. I am very satisfied with him.”

Rooney has been switched between No 10 and an out-and-out striker’s role this season, and Anthony Martial was preferred up front for the midweek draw with PSV Eindhoven.

“At this moment, he doesn’t play in the striker’s position, Martial is playing there,” Van Gaal said. “But it is possible he shall play other matches there.

“It is dependent not always on the quality and shape of the player at the moment, but also the game plan. And we have to decide that every week.”

Taken from Teamtalk

I'd really like to know what he is doing that is keeping van Gaal satisfied. What can it possibly be, footballing wise? This team seems to ghost through difficult periods in games, no intent, no evident leadership and he is our captain. The only late rally we've had was against Watford, and he coincidentally didn't play. So I question his leadership.

For footballing reasons I obviously can't see it, he gets wrestled of the ball easily, can't turn with it, lacks vision for through balls or the left flank.
No nous for intricate one-two passing. He seems to be totally the opposite player for van Gaal's philosophy yet he is his favorite player! It's just lunacy.

There is no footballing reason to keep him in, Herrera is better, Mata is slightly better, you could try Memphis and Martial together, That would indicate some hope of improvement, because Rooney isn't even arguably declining anymore, he has declined.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Louis van Gaal insists he is “very satisfied” with Wayne Rooney’s contributions to Manchester United this season and claims it is not just the captain’s armband keeping him in the side.

Only Sir Bobby Charlton has scored more goals for United than Rooney, but he goes into the trip to Leicester on Saturday evening with just two in the Premier League this season as the club has struggled for goals.

Van Gaal’s philosophy has come in for plenty of criticism, though our feature explained why United fans must stay patient with the Dutchman and success will arrive in time.

But Rooney’s form remains a major line of questioning at Van Gaal’s pre-match press conferences, and it was no different on the eve of the Leicester game.

But United’s manager was again unequivocal in his backing when asked whether Rooney would still be picked if he was not skipper.

Yes, of course,” Van Gaal said. “Otherwise he is out of the team. Wayne is doing a lot, has a very great contribution in the team. I am very satisfied with him.”

Rooney has been switched between No 10 and an out-and-out striker’s role this season, and Anthony Martial was preferred up front for the midweek draw with PSV Eindhoven.

“At this moment, he doesn’t play in the striker’s position, Martial is playing there,” Van Gaal said. “But it is possible he shall play other matches there.

“It is dependent not always on the quality and shape of the player at the moment, but also the game plan. And we have to decide that every week.”

Taken from Teamtalk

I'd really like to know what he is doing that is keeping van Gaal satisfied. What can it possibly be, footballing wise? This team seems to ghost through difficult periods in games, no intent, no evident leadership and he is our captain. The only late rally we've had was against Watford, and he coincidentally didn't play. So I question his leadership.

For footballing reasons I obviously can't see it, he gets wrestled of the ball easily, can't turn with it, lacks vision for through balls or the left flank.
No nous for intricate one-two passing. He seems to be totally the opposite player for van Gaal's philosophy yet he is his favorite player! It's just lunacy.

There is no footballing reason to keep him in, Herrera is better, Mata is slightly better, you could try Memphis and Martial together, That would indicate some hope of improvement, because Rooney isn't even arguably declining anymore, he has declined.
I don't get it. In his 18 months as manager, nothing has shown this to be the case. He wasn't even substituted in his worst ever performance in a United Shirt against Aston Villa. If he is really happy with his performances, then I think we need a new manager.

amolbhatia50k

I just hope this is all a facade from LVG. Noone can think he's made a "great contribution" this season, and noone can be "satisfied" with his performances.

I have seen plenty of abuse aimed directly at him for being selected. I agree that the idea behind criticism is directed at van Gaal but Rooney is the one copping it a lot of the time.
Care to quote a few posts blaming him for selection? Most of the frustration is one of the highest paid footballers on the planet a) playing like turd and b) constantly picked by LVG despite aforementioned turd-level performances.

Also, you're in a thread called "Wayne Rooney 15/16 performances". It's slightly unrealistic to expect to be containing much other than criticism of his performances.

facund

I don't get it. In his 18 months as manager, nothing has shown this to be the case. He wasn't even substituted in his worst ever performance in a United Shirt against Aston Villa. If he is really happy with his performances, then I think we need a new manager.
Although his comments sound odd he can't rightly come out and say 'If he wasn't captain he wouldn't even make the bench' or 'He is captain so he plays but he is a bit sh*t' can he. He has taken a position and whilst he sticks with it he will have to defend it in what he says otherwise it would completely undermine the choice he has made.

I don't agree with his decision but can understand his rhetoric regarding it.

amolbhatia50k

Although his comments sound odd he can't rightly come out and say 'If he wasn't captain he wouldn't even make the bench' or 'He is captain so he plays but he is a bit sh*t' can he. He has taken a position and whilst he sticks with it he will have to defend it in what he says otherwise it would completely undermine the choice he has made.

I don't agree with his decision but can understand his rhetoric regarding it.
I don't think anyone expects him to say that if Rooney wasn't captain he would be dropped when he's picking him while he is captain.

It's the overall treatment of Rooney that is not borderline but miles past absurd. The whole "Rooney has special privileges" stance, the whole Herrera has one bad game and is dropped but Rooney can stink up the place for 3 months and still always start, these are the things that no fan enjoys seeing.

And forget dropping Rooney which should have been done prior to all these injuries, but beyond that, there's never any criticism of Rooney.

Here's LVG criticizing De Gea:

"As a manager you are never satisfied," Van Gaal isquoted as saying by ESPN. "The fans are very satisfied, the fans are very pleased with David De Gea for example, but I have a criticism for him and I am sorry I have to say that. And that's for all the players."
He called Smalling and Matial's errors "stupid" when they got a red card and gave away a penalty respectively.

But Rooney plays terribly week after week but there's not a word.

The only time he did criticize Rooney was in the beginning of his tenure when he said that Rooney wasn't doing well as a striker and maybe Falcao can be expected to do better, so he's changing positions.

Something has changed since this whole captaincy stuff, though. Rooney has become this untouchable figure only in second half of LVG's short time here. And it's not that people are dying to see Rooney criticized so we all can be happy once and for all. It's the disproportionate importance given to one player in the team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The issue is that he has decided to make a grossly underperforming player the central figure of the team. Shifting other players roles and positions all over the place just to accommodate him.
He then gets annoyed when the form of this underperforming player is brought up with him.
It's getting to the point where I think he would have had to discuss Rooney less, if he wasn't starting games.

Last edited:

facund

I don't think anyone expects him to say that if Rooney wasn't captain he would be dropped when he's picking him while he is captain.

It's the overall treatment of Rooney that is not borderline but miles past absurd. The whole "Rooney has special privileges" stance, the whole Herrera has one bad game and is dropped but Rooney can stink up the place for 3 months and still always start, these are the things that no fan enjoys seeing.

And forget dropping Rooney which should have been done prior to all these injuries, but beyond that, there's never any criticism of Rooney...
Don't worry I agree. Rooney should not be anywhere near the starting line-up and LVG's decision to make him a fixture of the team reflects badly on him, making me call in to question his overall judgement for all things United.

The point is that if he offered a genuine opinion on Rooney (or lets say an opinion in line with a growing majority of fans) then he would make himself and his 'captain policy' look cretinous. He would find it incredibly difficult to describe all Rooney's faults and yet make his choice to continue playing him appear valid or rational. He is just playing the PR game the only sensible way he can based on his, apparently, fixed choice.

Based on the idea that he is set on playing Rooney, he is best to feign ignorance or play up the idea that he sees something we don't (the great intangible). This way he comes off as a bit mad or "absurd" rather than wilfully self destructive (as he would admitting he is consistently playing a player not good enough to justify his place). It ain't pretty but once he has decided to stick with Rooney it is the logical follow-on.

Your point about other players is true. It is often muted that dropping Rooney would be bad for squad morale, continuing to play him can't be particularly good for it when other players are displaced or seemingly marginalised (if only temporarily) for much smaller failures.

red_devil83

There have been players in all four of the bottom clubs that have played better than him, much better.
Yea of course, players like Wijnaldum are miles better this year, but there's some serious dross for Sunderland and Villa that he must be better than.

Taking that dross out of the equation was my point - he's probably the worst player for the top 16 clubs.

Sam

“Yes, of course,” Van Gaal said. “Otherwise he is out of the team. Wayne is doing a lot, has a very great contribution in the team. I am very satisfied with him.”

Taken from Teamtalk

feck off Louis.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He is just dragging the team down and being no where.near as good as Mata would be playing his position.

I can't honestly see why LvG has not dropped him he is just not good enough simple as that.

Lentwood

It's those stats comparing him to Scott Sinclair, Defoe, Wijnaldum and Ighalo that are really damming. If he were being outplayed by Aguero, Costa or Kane only you could reasonably argue it's a slump and he will come through it. To be outplayed by 4 average players scrapping for their lives in poor sides leads me to think he isn't even good enough to play in the PL anymore. Honestly if you were a Watford fan would you leave out Ighalo for Rooney? I couldn't

Minimalist

Van Gaal can get fecked. If he's just trying to avoid criticising Rooney then he can say nothing.

But praising him? He makes contributions to the side? Feck off you old fool.

NinjaFletch

Schweinsteiger and Smalling are our leaders on the pitch.

So what, exactly, is Rooney supposed to be doing for us now?

Godfather

He can feck off for good. Useless. Can't control a football can't run can't dribble and can't shoot. Idiot.

Deleted member 78215

Still shit. Forget the stats, just use your eyes and you can see how Martial is levels above him now.

Ixion

He needs a month out of the team, his form is awful. Half the reason we don't create chances is because so many moves break down through him.

WyoManU

Broken record. He is finished at the highest level. The sooner LVG, or anyone else that can make big decisions at our club, realize that truth the better off we can be by moving on.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Worst performance since Arthur Mullard on Top of the Pops.

Well, not really...

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
our best player today, makes things happen and works his socks off. lol

sport2793

I have to say that for the first time I am truly comfortable with saying that Rooney needs to be dropped for an extended period of time from the playing XI. I tend to be on the conservative side with regards to criticising players but Rooney's performances over the last few weeks have convinced me that he's the biggest problem we have in our attack.

El Zoido

He's absolutely appalling. Our attacks die when the ball reaches his feet, we'd be better off if he got sent off and we played with 10 men.

Ryan7

Crap again. Not that it matters to him. He has nothing to play for whatsoever. Guaranteed a spot as the boss is up his arse.

finneh

It's like watching Gary Neville in his final season. He's lost absolutely everything; he can't pass, can't shoot, can't run, can't jump, can't press and in all honesty I think he has a major problem with his eye sight as he relentlessly tries to pass through an opposition player 2 yards in front of him.

It's like playing with 10 men week in, week out. Actually no... It's like playing with 10 men against a team of 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.