Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I fail to understand, how is it ransom. If we didn't want to pay what he wanted we could easily have sold him, Chelsea were willing to pay in the region of 50M. Every player negotiates for the wages and you roughly get what you deserve after taking all the crucial factors into account (quality of player, availability of back-up, ability to play in multiple positions, commercial worth to the club, age profile, positon they play in, do they have other offers etc etc). BFS is getting 200k, surely we just turned up at his door and said 'is 200k enough or you want more?'. Mata is getting in the region of 150k, Young was signed in 2011 for around 110K. Every single player is on the wages they don't deserve.

Just to correct when we signed Rooney, there was hardly any risk and he was already identified as one of the biggest potential in England. We had paid an even bigger amount for a defender two years back, so it wasn't something of a rarity. Also like Rooney we gave a platform to Ronaldo and so many other players, and I am sure they are loyally paying all their commercial revenues to us!! Lets come out of the imaginary world where every player should just consider himself lucky to even get a chance to play for us. The first destination of all the good players is the clubs higher than us in the pecking order (at least 5), and almost all of them can and do pay even higher than us. But yeah we are united, so they should come and accept whatever we offer.

Its just unfortunate to see people creaming over players who don't even want to come here, and even if they do it will be for an even bigger 'ransom' and still this overwhelming hate towards one of our own players. If you even so far as put in a mildly positive line after two match winning goals, you get slated. There was hardly any positive from the match apart from the penalty and the goal. No player stood out. Even De Gea was quiet. Converting a 93rd minute penalty in a pressure situation to win a match is at least something of a positive in my book.

It almost looks like people would have been happier if we had not scored, and the result more easily fit in with the 'doom and gloom' scenario that we are experiencing. Any win at this moment doesn't help anyone in this camp. I also want changes, world class players, hopefully a better suited manager, but I imagine the people in charge already know about this as it is clearly visible. I am happy to take wins and survive on whatever other positives are there, until the changes do happen.
Don't ever do negotiating in real life, if your mind wonders.... Desist

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I fail to understand, how is it ransom. If we didn't want to pay what he wanted we could easily have sold him, Chelsea were willing to pay in the region of 50M. Every player negotiates for the wages and you roughly get what you deserve after taking all the crucial factors into account (quality of player, availability of back-up, ability to play in multiple positions, commercial worth to the club, age profile, positon they play in, do they have other offers etc etc). BFS is getting 200k, surely we just turned up at his door and said 'is 200k enough or you want more?'. Mata is getting in the region of 150k, Young was signed in 2011 for around 110K. Every single player is on the wages they don't deserve.

Just to correct when we signed Rooney, there was hardly any risk and he was already identified as one of the biggest potential in England. We had paid an even bigger amount for a defender two years back, so it wasn't something of a rarity. Also like Rooney we gave a platform to Ronaldo and so many other players, and I am sure they are loyally paying all their commercial revenues to us!! Lets come out of the imaginary world where every player should just consider himself lucky to even get a chance to play for us. The first destination of all the good players is the clubs higher than us in the pecking order (at least 5), and almost all of them can and do pay even higher than us. But yeah we are united, so they should come and accept whatever we offer.

Its just unfortunate to see people creaming over players who don't even want to come here, and even if they do it will be for an even bigger 'ransom' and still this overwhelming hate towards one of our own players. If you even so far as put in a mildly positive line after two match winning goals, you get slated. There was hardly any positive from the match apart from the penalty and the goal. No player stood out. Even De Gea was quiet. Converting a 93rd minute penalty in a pressure situation to win a match is at least something of a positive in my book.

It almost looks like people would have been happier if we had not scored, and the result more easily fit in with the 'doom and gloom' scenario that we are experiencing. Any win at this moment doesn't help anyone in this camp. I also want changes, world class players, hopefully a better suited manager, but I imagine the people in charge already know about this as it is clearly visible. I am happy to take wins and survive on whatever other positives are there, until the changes do happen.
They were not willing to go over £25m. It was wrong decision not to sell him, you can be certain that if Ferguson had stayed, he would have been sold and rightly so. Moyes was too much of a coward to make that decision so instead he gave him an utterly ridiculous 5.5-year contract which is beyond ridiculous.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
2 goals in last 2 matches. Playing the captains role perfectly, don't know why people are complaining.
:wenger:

pacifictheme

2 goals in last 2 matches. Playing the captains role perfectly, don't know why people are complaining.
:wenger:
2 in 2 this year is great. I know one was a pen against league 1 opposition, but its still the potential start of the run we so desperately need him to go on.

If he scores tonight he may just be turning a corner. Better late than never...

Treble

Even if he scores 3 hat-tricks in the next 3 games, he will still be not good enough to be a regular starter for United. Why? Because his renaissance won't last more than 6-7 weeks and he will be back to shitness very soon. To be past it does not mean to be poor in every game but to be poor in many games. We need a genuine star player in his position, one who can be world class for most of the season and a proper game-changer. If we want to be up there with Bayern and Barcelona, we need several brilliant forwards, not just one in Martial who may become world class in a year or two.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Of course his wage is a valid point. He held out for BPITW wages at a time when we were in transition and had a weak willed prat in charge and not once since signing it have his performances warranted that kind of outlay.

dichinero

I think my point is pretty simple here. Falcao, despite having a relatively better season than Rooney is having was serially beaten with the wages stick all season but when it comes to Wayne Rooney it doesn't apply? It doesn't make sense. You use Young, Mata et al but what we do know is that Rooney openly forced our hands and that is a fact. Like I said, if the club paid him £300k without the nonsense he was on, then fine. He brought this one on himself. I do not treat players differently just because they play for Manchester United.

For every fair criticism that Rooney gets from fans, he gets 10 more crazy support from the media. Only last night another headline read
"In-form Rooney looks to add to tally against Newcastle"

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He's on a rapid decline although he has still something to offer. Perhaps in different set-up than LVG's he would find himself more useful, but don't take that as a excuse for his poor showings, just think his goal tally would be little higher (4 or 5 goals higher, not much but still). What I don't understand is posters constant complaining about him. When he plays badly and doesn't score he's terrible (that I can understand), but when he playes good and scores then people find excuse to downplay that and still complain about him as if they hate seeing him getting goals which HELP United gaining points or going through to the next round.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Off course his wage and status is the critics points. Otherwise we'd be slagging andy caroll and not wayne rooney
Exactly.

You wouldn't see such outrage with regards to Rooney, if had the same importance in the squad on the pitch that Giggs had when he was towards the end of his career. But it's the fact that he's got "privileges", is seemingly now Mr. Manchester United/first name on the team-sheet, and one of football's highest paid, that is the real problem.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
He's on a rapid decline although he has still something to offer. Perhaps in different set-up than LVG's he would find himself more useful, but don't take that as a excuse for his poor showings, just think his goal tally would be little higher (4 or 5 goals higher, not much but still). What I don't understand is posters constant complaining about him. When he plays badly and doesn't score he's terrible (that I can understand), but when he playes good and scores then people find excuse to downplay that and still complain about him as if they hate seeing him getting goals which HELP United gaining points or going through to the next round.
How many performances this season has he had where you could say he's been 'good' though, really? Brugge away, Stoke away, Chelsea at home maybe. Perhaps if you were feeling very generous you could throw in Everton, CSKA home and West Brom but that's about it. The rest he's either been below par or just absolutely terrible. I understand your point about people who hate seeing him score goals etc., that is ridiculous. If Rooney was willing to take a rotation role he might have something to offer, but I don't think he'd be happy with that given he's United and England captain and only 30. On that basis he should be sold in the summer (he'll be hard to shift admittedly), but for now van Gaal needs to stop playing others out of position to accommodate him.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
How many performances this season has he had where you could say he's been 'good' though, really? Brugge away, Stoke away, Chelsea at home maybe. Perhaps if you were feeling very generous you could throw in Everton, CSKA home and West Brom but that's about it. The rest he's either been below par or just absolutely terrible. I understand your point about people who hate seeing him score goals etc., that is ridiculous. If Rooney was willing to take a rotation role he might have something to offer, but I don't think he'd be happy with that given he's United and England captain and only 30. On that basis he should be sold in the summer (he'll be hard to shift admittedly), but for now van Gaal needs to stop playing others out of position to accommodate him.
I agree that there are too many 'good' matches, United captain should lead by example and so far he's failed to do so (also don't think he can overturn that). What's worse is that everyone around the club keep on praising him for being good captain which means he's trying his best in training and is good with other players, but if he's not contributing in matches then it's all for nothing really. After he was dropped from starting eleven he did show some fight and played better against Swansea than in previous matches, so agree with you that he should be used in rotation role like Giggs or Scholes were in latter parts of their careers, but he's on salary that's way too high for a bench player so not even dropping him is real solution. Also I don't think LVG is trying to accomodate him, he's just being cluesless about players, for example saying he bought Martial for his successor yet uses him on any given chance (after realising how good this kid is), playing Fellaini in midfield when everyone can see he's not CM by nature etc. Still, calling him names and abusing him won't get us anywhere, always though Caf is exception in that regard, but seems it's not anymore.

Newcastle 3:3 Man Utd

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
maybe he will get the Charlton record this season!! 9 off equalling it?

Tends to score the pens that matter, and miss those when we're already winning

El Zoido

He's penaltied his way to the England record and will do the same for the United record too.

Baxter

He's very lucky he's back on pens because he'll do feck all without them

FujiVice

The boy is back. 2016 is his year. He'll grab a hatrick in this game. Maybe 5 if he fancies it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That assist was exquisite. Much better tonight.

Devil may care

Very nicely executed assist, not been all that good in possession other than that though and missed a sitter.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Great assist elevated an ordinary performance, lets hope he keeps this up.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
For me that assist was his best play of the season. Fantastic, I didn't see that coming.
Yep, I thought he'd been okay until then and the goal had arguably flattered him, but the assist was brilliant.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
great instinct and team ply for a beautiful reverse pass assist from Rooney for that Lingard goal.

However what really concerned me was how slow he was when he got the ball and tried to sprint away, he could just not get moving, a younger Rooney would have been through and slotted it into the corner.

He needs to quickly adapt and reinvent his game like Giggs and Ferdinand did so he can remain relevant.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Should've scored that chance but othervise he's been very good so far.

Overly harsh. If he was in great form you'd be more sympathetic. It was not a sitter by any means and players miss those chances more than score from them.

I let him off that, just glad he was in position .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
great instinct and team ply for a beautiful reverse pass assist from Rooney for that Lingard goal.

However what really concerned me was how slow he was when he got the ball and tried to sprint away, he could just not get moving, a younger Rooney would have been through and slotted it into the corner.

He needs to quickly adapt and reinvent his game like Giggs and Ferdinand did so he can remain relevant.
Yep, stuff like the assist is what he needs to be doing on a more regular basis. He's no longer the explosive player he once was, but he could potentially have a role in our side if he can produce intelligent moments like that.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Overly harsh. If he was in great form you'd be more sympathetic. It was not a sitter by any means and players miss those chances more than score from them.

I let him off that, just glad he was in position .
Don't think it was bad miss, more of a unlucky one, but it's good to see him getting into dangerous positions, hope he builds on that!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
MoM so far from Rooney.

Let's hope he completes a hat trick of goals or assists in 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.