5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Zoido

Does anyone recall a few seasons back when we laughed at the Dippers for playing on Gerrard even though it was clear he wasn't good enough anymore?

They debated on RAWK while we laughed and said we would have dropped him without fear.

Well...
Fergie would have. Moyes was never strong enough to drop a big name player, and LVG made Rooney captain presumably based on reputation, which in effect made him undroppable.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Two quick points. First, we tend to win more points in the EPL without Rooney, he makes no difference nowadays. When Rooney got injured we were 6 points off 4th, now we are only 1 point off 4th. His absence was a blessing in disguise, surely? Second, Rooney fans struggle to grasp a fairly simple concept: we don't play much better without Rooney partly because we didn't buy enough quality because of Rooney: he is a guaranteed starter for us. Now we rely on Rashford who was barely known just 2 months ago and who did more in 6-7 games (winners against Arsenal and City away) than Rooney in 25 games. Rooney is easily the most overrated star out there.
1. Like others have stated, thats primarily because of City's form!
2. We had 34 points from 21 games where Rooney Started, 19 from the other 10. True. But 27 goals from 21 games and 12 from remaining 10 points that we score more with him than without him. ANd as far as points per game argument is concerned, without Rooney, we have faced comparatively weaker opposition- barring Arsenal(h), City(a), West Ham(h) and Pool(h). With him, Pool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea twice, Leicester, Southampton.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fergie would have. Moyes was never strong enough to drop a big name player, and LVG made Rooney captain presumably based on reputation, which in effect made him undroppable.
Why would Moyes have dropped him? He was our best player that season. It was an awful season, but it would have been even worse if not for Rooney.

kundalini

1. Like others have stated, thats primarily because of City's form!
2. We had 34 points from 21 games where Rooney Started, 19 from the other 10. True. But 27 goals from 21 games and 12 from remaining 10 points that we score more with him than without him. ANd as far as points per game argument is concerned, without Rooney, we have faced comparatively weaker opposition- barring Arsenal(h), City(a), West Ham(h) and Pool(h). With him, Pool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea twice, Leicester, Southampton.
Your stats are confused. Rooney was a sub against Stoke. He played the whole 2nd half. It is ridiculous to include that match in the "without Rooney" category when it suits you (goals scored, points won) but not when it doesn't (opposition faced - Stoke currently 8th in the table).

Rooney starts 34 points from 21 games. No Rooney 19 points from 9 games. Rooney plays 45 mins 0 points. Rooney starts 27 goals scored. No Rooney 12 in 9 games. Strength of opposition in the 9 non-Rooney matches is pretty much the average you would expect from 9 games. We faced 2 sides in the top 4. Two more top 10 sides. None of the sides currently in the bottom 3 or for that matter the relegation battle, but plenty of lower middle tables opposition.

The idea that we have faced comparatively weaker opposition without Rooney is nonsense. There are 21 games with Rooney so of course there will be more games against top 10 opponents, just as there are far more games against relegation candidates Villa, Newcastle (2), Norwich, Sunderland (2). Average league position of opponents on the day we faced them is 9.5 without Rooney, compared to 10.9 with Rooney. No value attached to Spurs on the opening day of the season as no league table after 0 games. If we give them a 2nd place (their current position), it would make the with Rooney figure 10.5

In fact, as things stand, we don't score more with Rooney on the pitch. With Rooney on the pitch we have scored 26 goals in slightly more than 21 full games, and without him we have 13 in just under 10 full games. Rooney had been substituted when we scored a late pen against West Brom in the 2-0 home win. Rooney substituted -30 mins total. Rooney on as sub +45 mins.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We know that Rooneys not been at his best BUT the teams changed a lot. He's got a 5.4 rating...He's played 32 games and got 14 goals and 5 assists.....So he's not played great but he's produced and with more pace and power in the team, we might see a strong end to the season. We probably won't but at the same time, there's a lot to fight for regarding United and England. I think if we get him help...it will help him. The fact that he's the leader and everyone looks to him - to me shows how short we've been for much of the season. Having said that, if United had have played like men and not fannies then we'd be challenging for the title this season. I'm not ignoring the injuries and the kids..i'm referring to the large period of the season where we refused to pass forwards. Disgraceful. Rooneys not done too bad considering. He just needs more help from those around him. He's the obvious focal point when he players because everyone else is young.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What games have we looked above average going forward?

One game or not, it was amongst our best performance this season and Rooney was in it, meaning he can and has produced the goods.
Of course he can, that isn't the issue with him. It's that he rarely does so anymore.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Your stats are confused. Rooney was a sub against Stoke. He played the whole 2nd half. It is ridiculous to include that match in the "without Rooney" category when it suits you (goals scored, points won) but not when it doesn't (opposition faced - Stoke currently 8th in the table).

Rooney starts 34 points from 21 games. No Rooney 19 points from 9 games. Rooney plays 45 mins 0 points. Rooney starts 27 goals scored. No Rooney 12 in 9 games. Strength of opposition in the 9 non-Rooney matches is pretty much the average you would expect from 9 games. We faced 2 sides in the top 4. Two more top 10 sides. None of the sides currently in the bottom 3 or for that matter the relegation battle, but plenty of lower middle tables opposition.

The idea that we have faced comparatively weaker opposition without Rooney is nonsense. There are 21 games with Rooney so of course there will be more games against top 10 opponents, just as there are far more games against relegation candidates Villa, Newcastle (2), Norwich, Sunderland (2). Average league position of opponents on the day we faced them is 9.5 without Rooney, compared to 10.9 with Rooney. No value attached to Spurs on the opening day of the season as no league table after 0 games. If we give them a 2nd place (their current position), it would make the with Rooney figure 10.5

In fact, as things stand, we don't score more with Rooney on the pitch. With Rooney on the pitch we have scored 26 goals in slightly more than 21 full games, and without him we have 13 in just under 10 full games. Rooney had been substituted when we scored a late pen against West Brom in the 2-0 home win. Rooney substituted -30 mins total. Rooney on as sub +45 mins.
Fair enough, but again, introduction of Rooney in the Stoke game couldn't have won the points. In the part he played, it was a 0-0. We attacked more and were more positive.
People were asking for him to be benched. Well he got injured. We have scored 6 in 5. thats slighly lower than our average, although these games , I agree, were against tougher opposition.
You need to consider the no. of chances that were being created pre Stoke and Post Stoke game. I don't get the calls asking him to be sold. (I agree his wages are far too high, but for a club that has basically become a business now, I'm sure they must have thought about the pros as well like the image and branding etc. ). We are seriously lacking senior players with PL experience. Once Carrick and Rooney can be said as guys with PL experience and maybe DDG now. Smalling, although with us for 5 seasons now, wasn't a regular till last season. Carrick is pretty much set to leave, DDG's future is far from known. We have 1 senior player and we want to sell him- it's bonkers!

wr8_utd

:'(
You admit that he struggles after injury yet go on to claim that other players should be moved around to accommodate him, why shouldn't he find form and fitness playing with the reserves like others have had to do? This cuddling and too much reverence is what has brought on the complacency that prevented him from reaching his full potential and now sees his roles at both club and country being questioned as if he is thirty-five instead of thirty, its all too comfortable.
No I don't think he should get a spot automatically but I'd honestly rather have him in the team than Mata.

wr8_utd

:'(
Of course he can, that isn't the issue with him. It's that he rarely does so anymore.
Until we bring in better players, Rooney isn't any worse than what we already have. He's been rubbish most of the season and injured for 2-3 months and he's still our top scorer. He was on course for 20 if not for the injury. I agree that his performances have been generally very poor till the Stoke game but the fact is our attack has been awful (with or without Rooney) and that makes it a lot harder for any of our attacking players to do well and despite that, Rooney was on target (till injury struck) for his 20 goals season target that would have been a decent return.

Dobbs

Do people still believe Rooney was/is the reason our play is so slow and labored? Have you not watched the games since he's been out? We've not been anything special, and have still struggled to score goals, scoring only 5 in our last 6 games.
Nonsense. Rashford is better than Rooney and we've been playing like Barcelona since Wayne has been out. It was obviously all his fault.
Guys why do you keep pretending this argument exists? Nobody says that our slow, laborious play is ALL Rooney's fault.

I'm genuinely interested as to why you keep arguing against this opinion when nobody holds it.

Perrick Dubois

Do people still believe Rooney was/is the reason our play is so slow and labored? Have you not watched the games since he's been out? We've not been anything special, and have still struggled to score goals, scoring only 5 in our last 6 games.
I think it is pretty obvious that people who say things like that care very little beyond foamy rants about Rooney. He's not the problem, the median line has stayed even the entire two seasons regardless of which of the 13 players who have played up front of us is playing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
LVG has once again said he will be picked once fit cause he has privileges.
Not going to get myself worked up over this.

Perrick Dubois

LVG has once again said he will be picked once fit cause he has privileges.
Not going to get myself worked up over this.
It really does make it seem like there is a "must play" type clause in his deal. Fascinating.

iKeano

He is more a part of the problem, than part of a solution to our slow, laboured play.

Anyone who quotes 300k as though it's truth is never going to let the truth get in the way of their argument!
It's down to VG how we play. All our attackers would look better for another manager. How much so, is another debate, but in the majority the style this season has been cautious.

A win tomorrow, and top 4 is a big chance again. And we'll back it until the last day.
But next season we need different.
£300k minimum after add-ons & image rights fees.
Attackers would look different under another manager? Possibly.... But we'll see how pacy, technically gifted, inspirational and ruthless a striker Waynetta is when he's leading the line for England at the Euros under a different manager.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's time to move on from Rooney
Maybe a bit premature given the choice of Mata or Rooney then Rooney all day for me. Big problem for us is our supply out wide is shambolic both from our wide forwards and full backs. Currently we have the worst two full backs I've seen at united for a long time in Darmain and Rojo. They both are so poor going forward it's worrying.

prateik

Maybe a bit premature given the choice of Mata or Rooney then Rooney all day for me. Big problem for us is our supply out wide is shambolic both from our wide forwards and full backs. Currently we have the worst two full backs I've seen at united for a long time in Darmain and Rojo. They both are so poor going forward it's worrying.
:nono:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ok let me go further given the choice of Mata or Lingard I'd go Lingard. Mata is a complete phoney of a player. Great for a season highlights on YouTube anonymous for 89 mins per game. Yes great blog hugs and kisses. With his square and backward passes and his full speed closing down, he serves no purpose in an united team. An imposter of a player (quicker he moves on for me the better). Yes I support him during games but personally the quicker he is sold the better.

prateik

Ok let me go further given the choice of Mata or Lingard I'd go Lingard. Mata is a complete phoney of a player. Great for a season highlights on YouTube anonymous for 89 mins per game. Yes great blog hugs and kisses. With his square and backward passes and his full speed closing down, he serves no purpose in an united team. An imposter of a player (quicker he moves on for me the better). Yes I support him during games but personally the quicker he is sold the better.
I think thats a bit extreme. We can do better and he doesnt impose himself enough...
And I'd still take him over Rooney.
Rooney outside the box used to be great.. He is a hindrance now. Can still finish. If he is playing, stick him up top and hope we create something for him to finish..

itso 7

Mata and Rooney need to go when we really get serious about building an actual football team designed to compete for trophies, playing great football. They are the most experienced but the weakest links of any attack we build if it incudes them. I would rather we get rid of both and invest in a top class No.10 that doesn't come with their combined buggage of being too slow, can't protect the ball or move with it to create something unexpected.
With this 'special privileges' bollocks we are as far away from success as one ca possibly be.

Rossa

Unfortunately, you are right. Our attacking talismans go into hiding far too often. I really like Mata, but he doesn't suit our team. Rooney is simply over the hill and his inability to look to the left is just a little more than annoying (does he have neck issues?). If only one has to go, I'd let go of Rooney, but I still think we need new players in both positions.

dichinero

Granted that Mata is really suited for the PL due the lack of his physicality but that doesn't make him a bad player. It's so easy these days for fans to remember Rooney of donkey years ago and use it as a reason to keep him in the team but forget that Mata was POTY for a strong Chelsea 2 years in row in a more recent history. Mata lacks the body while Rooney just lacks. Mata without the special privileges and being shifted here and there still manages to be involved in more goals that any player in our squad. He is easily a better player than Rooney. Rooney has to go before Mata. No time for sentiments

Walters_19_MuFc

Guys why do you keep pretending this argument exists? Nobody says that our slow, laborious play is ALL Rooney's fault.

I'm genuinely interested as to why you keep arguing against this opinion when nobody holds it.
It doesn't matter what sorted shift pie-face puts in on Monday. His coach, adopted Dutch father & blindsided lover LVG, will move heaven and earth (I.e. Rashford) to get Waynetta back in the team, slowing down play & being ineffective. Still... £300+K a week...

Dobbs

Saying Rooney slows the team down isn't the same as saying he's the ONLY reason we play dull football. Honestly I think you've been misinterpreting posts like that for quite some time.

If you asked @iKeano I'm sure he'd say Fellaini, Rojo, Darmian etc also slow the team down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Granted that Mata is really suited for the PL due the lack of his physicality but that doesn't make him a bad player. It's so easy these days for fans to remember Rooney of donkey years ago and use it as a reason to keep him in the team but forget that Mata was POTY for a strong Chelsea 2 years in row in a more recent history. Mata lacks the body while Rooney just lacks. Mata without the special privileges and being shifted here and there still manages to be involved in more goals that any player in our squad. He is easily a better player than Rooney. Rooney has to go before Mata. No time for sentiments
The key is that you can't imagine Rooney being a rotation player. He's been too big a player for us, and is on way too much money.
Mata, you could imagine slipping into that role easier.

Rooney is bar far the biggest issue for the new manager to deal with.
If he stays, he plays, meaning everything has to be shaped round him, and he's not worth that these days.

Scoring 5 before the end of the season, and offing to China would be perfect for everyone.

iKeano

Saying Rooney slows the team down isn't the same as saying he's the ONLY reason we play dull football. Honestly I think you've been misinterpreting posts like that for quite some time.

If you asked @iKeano I'm sure he'd say Fellaini, Rojo, Darmian etc also slow the team down.
Totally agree.... But Rooney is supposed to be our talismanic leader, our Roy of the Rovers, our go-to-guy... But he's been underperforming for years & is now nothing more than an albatross around Utds neck.
He's more of a hindrance than a help, breaks up attacks with a poor touches and bad passing. His petulant screaming at the ref when things go wrong instead of grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck like Keane, McClair, Robson... He spits his dummy out like he did three times when he wanted to leave.
Fergie saw the writing on the wall.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Him and Fellaini has been out. We need some more scapegoats. That's all we can do until LVG can be sacked.

and for the record, I do think Rooney has been shit this season but wanting him sold is just stupid given our lack of senior attacking options.

dichinero

Him and Fellaini has been out. We need some more scapegoats. That's all we can do until LVG can be sacked.

and for the record, I do think Rooney has been shit this season but wanting him sold is just stupid given our lack of senior attacking options.
Well, if we don't sell him he will be a perpetual pain in the rear until his contract expires. He needs to be replaced not rotated.

FromTheBench

Remember the time when LVG was appointed and how everyone and their Dog felt Rooney would be amongst the first one to struggle and be kicked out under him ? :lol:

dichinero

If that is the case then first get in another striker. I don't want a Di Maria situation where we sell a player but not get in another one.
It will an unending cycle if we don't sell him first. His departure will almost guarantee that the club will be obliged to replace such a "big name". Until then it would be all about how to bring in players to support Rooney which would make sense if he was Messi. RvP, CH14 and Welbeck were not given fair chances because of the presence of Rooney. Rashford, Wilson and Keane will also suffer the same fate because of Rooney's presence.

His presence is bigger than his ability!

Status
Not open for further replies.