Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

It was ok / decent / acceptable.

Its a bit worrying if thats considered good though. Unless we are saying, thats good for Rooney nowadays, which then, ill agree with.

clarkydaz

ok I'm no 'current' Rooney lover but he wasn't shit tonight by any means, however I wouldn't expect anything less against the dross he was playing against tonight. One point in the first half he was able to run from his own 18 yard line with the ball about 60 yards down the middle of old Trafford, nobody near him. He seemed surprised himself. Yes he had some nice passes along with the obligatory wing passes sailing out of play. last 2 games have been a confidence booster against dire teams, when the level of opposition goes up it might be another story

Walters_19_MuFc

In a possession based team, he kept the ball well, and tried to create openings when he had the chance. Didn't always come off, but at least he tried to pick runners out and get them in behind. Sometimes I feel we're guilty of overpassing it and constantly going sidewards.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played well. People criticize him for it for some strange reason but the past couple of games, the Rooney -> Valencia pass has been our best route to goal and I wish we did that a lot more often this season as it advances the play for us more effectively then any other thing we do.

Also, I like us using a 4-3-3 and having him as the more advanced midfielder. Okay his touch and all that isn't that consistent, but days like today when it's normal it works perfectly fine and he has a much better impact then any other midfielder we play, considering he can play those long diagonals actually and is one of the only players willing to make a run in the box to add in the numbers. By no means should this be a long term thing, but it's probably the best option for the remainder of the season, having him in midfield in a midfield 3.

Devil may care

I just don't want to see us going into next season with him in that AM role.

Man City - De Bruyne/Gundogan
Spurs - Dele Alli
Arsenal - Ozil
Liverpool - Coutinho

We need to be aiming to match that quality in the position IMO.

clarkydaz

Played well. People criticize him for it for some strange reason but the past couple of games, the Rooney -> Valencia pass has been our best route to goal and I wish we did that a lot more often this season as it advances the play for us more effectively then any other thing we do.

Also, I like us using a 4-3-3 and having him as the more advanced midfielder. Okay his touch and all that isn't that consistent, but days like today when it's normal it works perfectly fine and he has a much better impact then any other midfielder we play, considering he can play those long diagonals actually and is one of the only players willing to make a run in the box to add in the numbers. By no means should this be a long term thing, but it's probably the best option for the remainder of the season, having him in midfield in a midfield 3.
mate he does it every game, the only reason it doesn't come off is most of the time playing against respectable defences, unlike last 2 games

bosnian_red

mate he does it every game, the only reason it doesn't come off is most of the time playing against respectable defences, unlike last 2 games
He really doesn't. Valencia has been injured most of the season so he didn't have the chance. Rooney also played up top most of the time so didn't get on the ball deeper to play those passes. He used to do it all the time, and while it was annoying before, it's far more effective then the other shit we see.

clarkydaz

He really doesn't. Valencia has been injured most of the season so he didn't have the chance. Rooney also played up top most of the time so didn't get on the ball deeper to play those passes. He used to do it all the time, and while it was annoying before, it's far more effective then the other shit we see.
it doesn't depend if Valencia's on the pitch :lol:

bosnian_red

it doesn't depend if Valencia's on the pitch :lol:
It being effective does... Valencia is great at reading that pass, getting on to it, bringing it down, and running with the ball to an advanced position. Sure if Rooney does it to Darmian nothing really happens, same with mata or Lingard. But the Rooney-Valencia combo is what is effective, even if many on here don't like it.

dichinero

He actually does, regardless of how high up the pitch he is deployed. In the name of being "bored " he'll randomly drop deep, launch a 69.7 yard diagonal pass down the right and try to get back in the box @ 7km/hr. That's our Rooney!

facund

It being effective does... Valencia is great at reading that pass, getting on to it, bringing it down, and running with the ball to an advanced position. Sure if Rooney does it to Darmian nothing really happens, same with mata or Lingard. But the Rooney-Valencia combo is what is effective, even if many on here don't like it.
So the effectiveness of the pass is dependent upon Valencia?
That somewhat diminishes the impressiveness of the pass does it not? (if it can't be adapted to suit any of the other recipients of it)

It's a good ball when it hits it's mark, I can't deny that, but it is a 'go to move'/'canned response' that ultimately highlights Rooney's lack of invention. You could see tonight there were occasions when he was desperately looking for it but when it turned out it wasn't on he just played a bog standard 5 yard pass sideways. He spent so long trying to make it happen that he completely ignored any other movement ahead of him, he only had eyes for that pass and there is something deeply uncreative and frankly troubling about that.

bosnian_red

So the effectiveness of the pass is dependent upon Valencia?
That somewhat diminishes the impressiveness of the pass does it not? (if it can't be adapted to suit any of the other recipients of it)

It's a good ball when it hits it's mark, I can't deny that, but it is a 'go to move'/'canned response' that ultimately highlights Rooney's lack of invention. You could see tonight there were occasions when he was desperately looking for it but when it turned out it wasn't on he just played a bog standard 5 yard pass sideways. He spent so long trying to make it happen that he completely ignored any other movement ahead of him, he only had eyes for that pass and there is something deeply uncreative and frankly troubling about that.
I'm saying the whole move is generally effective, not specifically praising Rooney for being able to do it or always looking for it. Just saying it's more effective for us as a team to advance up the pitch compared to everything else we do. Never said it was some great or creative move though. But anyway, my point was that people always criticize Rooney for playing that pass even if it works pretty well when he does it with Valencia. I understood it before, when that's all he did despite us having other ways to attack and had a more functioning team with Fergie, but now? No point in criticizing him playing that pass when our only other method of attacking is Martial dribbling past half the team and hoping he picks out the 1 person we have in the box at a time. Rooney playing a diagonal to Valencia to then cross in beats that easily.

facund

I'm saying the whole move is generally effective, not specifically praising Rooney for being able to do it or always looking for it. Just saying it's more effective for us as a team to advance up the pitch compared to everything else we do. Never said it was some great or creative move though. But anyway, my point was that people always criticize Rooney for playing that pass even if it works pretty well when he does it with Valencia. I understood it before, when that's all he did despite us having other ways to attack and had a more functioning team with Fergie, but now? No point in criticizing him playing that pass when our only other method of attacking is Martial dribbling past half the team and hoping he picks out the 1 person we have in the box at a time. Rooney playing a diagonal to Valencia to then cross in beats that easily.
I understand and do agree that if it works then he needs to keep doing it for now at least. It does paint a rather grim portrait of where the team is at when we have so little viable variation in our build up.

bosnian_red

I understand and do agree that if it works then he needs to keep doing it for now at least. It does paint a rather grim portrait of where the team is at when we have so little viable variation in our build up.
Well we all basically know this though, so I'm okay with making do with our best option. Just like playing more direct through fellaini at the end of last season was seen as acceptable because it was our most profitable route to goal basically. Not in a million years do I want to see us play like that as a planned, long term style, but to get the best out of Van Gaal and what we have, why not.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
So the one time this Rooney-to-Valencia move actually pays off (versus Villa) & Toni doesn't just, as usual, smash the ball against his opponent's shins or is desperately looking to lay the ball off without crossing...is now justification for the continuance of this crappy, failed tactic? Jesus...

bosnian_red

So the one time this Rooney-to-Valencia move actually pays off (versus Villa) & Toni doesn't just, as usual, smash the ball against his opponent's shins or is desperately looking to lay the ball off without crossing...is now justification for the continuance of this crappy, failed tactic? Jesus...
It was an annoying tactic when Fergie was here but we have become so shit that it is far better then anything we do now. So yeah, it is more then justification as whenever Rooney plays Valencia like that he tends to be 1 v 1 with his fullback with a bit of space to be able to cross it, even if it's a bad cross. Also gives us time to get a few players in the box.

What tactic do you see us use that is so much better? The only other attacking tactics that we have played since Van Gaal has come in is long balls into Fellaini to bring down, relentless crossing from wherever by Di maria (into nobody), or giving it to Martial to dribble past everyone and do something. So yes, give me the Rooney to Valencia to try and cross it over those options every single time.

MDFC Manager

:lol:
For starters, Rooney actually has to get that pass right too. Seems to have about 50% success rate with it. And then there's the 1% success rate of a good Valencia cross:wenger:

NoPace

We'd be mad not to sell him this summer. His value will only go down and whatever we get, clearing his wages would be helpful.

SteveJ

Scout
bosnian_red said:
It was an annoying tactic when Fergie was here but we have become so shit that it is far better then anything we do now. So yeah, it is more then justification as whenever Rooney plays Valencia like that he tends to be 1 v 1 with his fullback with a bit of space to be able to cross it, even if it's a bad cross. Also gives us time to get a few players in the box.

What tactic do you see us use that is so much better? The only other attacking tactics that we have played since Van Gaal has come in is long balls into Fellaini to bring down, relentless crossing from wherever by Di maria (into nobody), or giving it to Martial to dribble past everyone and do something. So yes, give me the Rooney to Valencia to try and cross it over those options every single time.
It's an utterly failed tactic, mate - it's self-indulgent of Rooney and, besides, Valencia's lost the attacking verve that once made him dangerous; so it's a waste of time. I've no idea of an alternative.

Dante

Average bang
Valencia thrived when Scholes was here. His productivity fell off a cliff after Scholes left.

The reason is simple.

Valencia isn't a tricky winger who can beat his man with a bit of skill. He needs to receive the ball early in order to get a run on his marker. If he's afforded a bit of space he's still deadly.

Scholes' early cross-field passes were crucial to that tactic. Although Carrick is capable of it, he doesn't actually try it that often. Rooney does, and that's what brings the best out of Valencia.

If we want to persist with Valencia as a RB and Mata as a narrow winger - and I think we should - Rooney in midfield has to continue. It's the only way we can get any width on that side of the pitch.

SteveJ

Scout
If this is 'the best' of Valencia then it's nowhere near good enough. He's lost so much since his (major) injury.

clarkydaz

:lol:
For starters, Rooney actually has to get that pass right too. Seems to have about 50% success rate with it. And then there's the 1% success rate of a good Valencia cross:wenger:
this for the life of me I cannot understand how he constantly gets away with it, playing for a possession obsessed manager. The mind boggles, he will find one that reaches then everyone gasps, the next 3 failed passes go un noticed. Any other top club in Europe he would be pillored for it.

Can you imagine if he was doing this with Keane still in the side?

Dante

Average bang
If this is 'the best' of Valencia then it's nowhere near good enough. He's lost so much since his (major) injury.
Keep Rooney in midfield until the end of the season and Valencia will get there.

He's not lost that much, imo. He just never had it in the first place.

Managers needed to utilise him correctly if they expect consistently dangerous crosses.

Not that he wastes the ball much even now. He wins a hell of a lot of corners from his so called 'poor crosses that hit the first man'. Those corners are pretty valuable in their own right, given that they're the only times we actually manage to get bodies into the box.

I reckon if Rooney can start finding him early like Scholes used to do, we'll see a whole new dimension to attacking play down the right.

wr8_utd

:'(
And yet you people accuse Rooney's critics of going to similar extremes. Are you going to roll out the old 'have some respect for such a great servant!' one next?
Nah, I've long given up on posters on Redcafe having any sort of respect for Rooney. Judging him purely by the game, he was good today.

Duafc

Village Lemon
It's an utterly failed tactic, mate - it's self-indulgent of Rooney and, besides, Valencia's lost the attacking verve that once made him dangerous; so it's a waste of time. I've no idea of an alternative.
Self indulgent?

That a player with usually 8 opposition players and a handful of teammates in front of him, in a compressed and tight space, with little movement(a whole other problem) decides to play it to one player in space and potentially in behind the opposition

Also ironic that united fans, I'm sure some of this Rooney diagonal pass hate group, bemoan our slow and static sideways passing will as quickly chastise a player trying a more difficult pass in behind the opposition or into an area of space.

So come off it, not only is it not self indulgent, it's braver than most. Fair enough Rooney might think it's a good looking pass or one he is confident of playing but really only he and Blind are confident enough and quality enough to attempt and succeed, with at least some regularity, these kinds of passes.

All this totally misses the point, he does it a handful of times each game and it's usually always on but he also regularly turned on the ball, drove with it and played it forward a good deal yesterday, provided through balls, kept it ticking over and was always offering himself, less so as the game went on and he dropped deeper but I think that was more a tiredness/comfortableness than anything else.

What else do you really expect or want, and do you hold everyone else to the same standards? I think not.

I thought he was good, probably one of the better performers, but not great yesterday... Certainly though anyone trying to criticise is blatantly looking for faults hyper critically and not being objective.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Also in what circumstance should Valencia be passed to? We don't want him having it in behind their RB near the byline, you're right. Maybe we should switch him and martial? The opposition will double mark Valencia and martial can collect Rooneys self indulgent balls to devastating effect!!!

Are there any other players Rooney should know not to pass to in a professional game at the highest standard?

I'm sorry but that's laughable from you Steve.

Perrick Dubois

His versatility came to the fore yet again, just watched the replay. He is still a very high quality all-round player. His touch, vision and ability to drive the team forward are important aspects of his game that we've missed this season due to the poor utilization of the 4-2-3-1. I think I would much prefer another proper midfielder in there instead of him but happy that he made a fine contribution overall.

I will re-open my "maturity" speculation due to the fact that he's moved to keep Rashford up front, if the gaff has wanted Rooney up front but he's left it for Rashers then I commend him. Would not be surprised if that was the case.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think he did ok. Maybe the 4-1-4-1 is the best formation to use him in. Problem is that he's our highest paid player, and supposedly one of the creative players we're dependent on, so ok performances aren't really good enough.

iKeano

His versatility came to the fore yet again, just watched the replay. He is still a very high quality all-round player. His touch, vision and ability to drive the team forward are important aspects of his game that we've missed this season due to the poor utilization of the 4-2-3-1. I think I would much prefer another proper midfielder in there instead of him but happy that he made a fine contribution overall.

I will re-open my "maturity" speculation due to the fact that he's moved to keep Rashford up front, if the gaff has wanted Rooney up front but he's left it for Rashers then I commend him. Would not be surprised if that was the case.
Strongly disagree with the former.... And regarding the latter; 'if my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle'. Even Van Gaal - in his infinite delusion - couldn't have justified moving Rashford out of the number 9 slot given his form.

Rooney is a club legend, but a has-been. He has his supporters & his critics, but I'd say the neutral fan would agree that his touch is bad, his passing (including short passing) is not what it used to be, his pace is gone, his stamina is a ghost, his tracking back is as gone as Jaap Stam & his hail-Mary cross-field passes have become as predictable and common-place as Gerrards in his final few seasons. His transformation is almost complete in a Gerrard-esque way.... I can only hope it continues, as Gerrards has, in another country, at another team.

dichinero

I know you're a big Rooney fan but with hyperboles like this I would have thought you were talking about Xavi or Pirlo. Chill with the hype. Not the worst performance but nothing like your description!

Verminator

Was an ok performance. A bit like O'Shea when he played there, but with less defensive acumen.
It was against dire opposition as well.
Should that be what we expect of our highest earner, captain, first name on the team sheet?
For that I want a Pogba, not an O'Shea.

Perrick Dubois

I know you're a big Rooney fan but with hyperboles like this I would have thought you were talking about Xavi or Pirlo. Chill with the hype. Not the worst performance but nothing like your description!
I am not that big of a fan of Rooney, I think we can be getting more out of him. I don't think you know what hyperbole means either.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

:lol: seriously, his touch?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His touch was good in that game, I can distinctly remember him taking it in afew tight situations and dealing with it well.
I wasn't referring to this game tbh, I meant in general. One thing I wound't expect Rooney to be praised for would be his touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.