5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Showed a better understanding of what he can do as a midfielder I felt. Usually just tries to be Scholes and sprays pointless hollywood passes around. Today he was choosing the right pass, constantly showing for the ball and doing his defensive work. Great performance. By far our most creative option for midfield if he can play to that level consistently

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Very good performance, this is why I still think he deserves a shot in a more functional team, still the best passer in our team bar Carrick.

Dir Wangem

He was fecking brilliant today.

Too bad it was in a game that didn't matter against a pretty weak opponent. Not to mention it being a single game(he's done well in midfield before, but it hasn't really lasted).

caid

I think he's been pretty good in midfield in recent weeks.
Its hard to say if hes good enough in general anymore, its hard to judge individual players nowadays.
He started the season in dire form, probably the worst of his career but his form since christmas has been much better
I think midfield is his best position by a distance these days though.

I think him, rashford and martial around the left is one of the few functioning parts of our team really.
It'd be the other two midfielders and the guy on the right i'd be looking to swap up.

Devil may care

If we play lots of teams who don't put any effort or press in midfield he'll be fine. He did fine in the second half but the fact he's getting deeper and deeper worries me.

Kag

This experiment really won't end well going forward, in spite of a great game against a team already on their holidays.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think he's been pretty good in midfield in recent weeks.
Its hard to say if hes good enough in general anymore, its hard to judge individual players nowadays.
He started the season in dire form, probably the worst of his career but his form since christmas has been much better
I think midfield is his best position by a distance these days though.

I think him, rashford and martial around the left is one of the few functioning parts of our team really.
It'd be the other two midfielders and the guy on the right i'd be looking to swap up.
Agreed

DarkXaero

Outstanding in the second half tonight, MotM. It was against a weak, unmotivated team but it was still a class performance, credit where it's due. Worked hard defensively, played some great passes, and involved in all 3 goals tonight.

m1y2

he deserved to be named MOTM but as I said earlier Scholes in his 4Os would boss the game like this, Bmouth were on their holidays and never really pressed him in a game which suited him, but not that many will come next season..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's only games like tonight whereby he can play in midfield, in the bigger games he'll be found out

I personally see him as a number 10 next season which has arguably always been his best position

Dobbs

Granted he is very good at the ball out to Valencia however it's still one of the weirdest things I've seen at OT. It's literally and I mean literally all he wants to do. He's capable of doing other stuff but it doesn't interest him.

Like all once great players if you give him time he'll make something happen. He couldn't have wished for easier opposition since he came back.

It's going to take a run of games against motivated, decent opposition for the fans and probably him to realise he can't play in midfield.

WyoManU

Give me a break with this talk about him finding his role. He passed it straight out of bounds under no pressure like 5 times. No, thanks. Go away Roo.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Outstanding game from him today. We'll see less of them Hollywood passes as he settles down into the role.

Art Vandelay

Granted he is very good at the ball out to Valencia however it's still one of the weirdest things I've seen at OT. It's literally and I mean literally all he wants to do. He's capable of doing other stuff but it doesn't interest him.

Like all once great players if you give him time he'll make something happen. He couldn't have wished for easier opposition since he came back.

It's going to take a run of games against motivated, decent opposition for the fans and probably him to realise he can't play in midfield.
That's not how this works. Context will be completely forgotten and he's now a world class midfielder until it can't be denied that he's not. Then he's a striker again and we've been hampering him by playing him in midfield.

He did ok tonight, but for every good ball there was one he put out of play. Tony V's pace and willingness to work his bollocks off kept that ratio down a fair bit too. We all know what the narrative is going to be though.

Smores

I'm usually one of the most critical of Rooney but I thought he should he could potentially offer us something in that role tonight.

Can he do it in a proper game though? Not sure

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Typical first half, bordering between anonymous and ineffective but was magnificent in the second half, that ball for youngs goal was simply gorgeous.

facund

Poor first half, good second half. Utilised the space he was given well and made a few cracking passes.

TrustInJanuzaj

That's not how this works. Context will be completely forgotten and he's now a world class midfielder until it can't be denied that he's not. Then he's a striker again and we've been hampering him by playing him in midfield.

He did ok tonight, but for every good ball there was one he put out of play. Tony V's pace and willingness to work his bollocks off kept that ratio down a fair bit too. We all know what the narrative is going to be though.
Narrative! this place is unbelievable, literally no praise can ever be given :lol:

Bwuk

He played well in what was in effect a friendly. No-one really seemed up for it from either side.

gza the genius

He played well in what was in effect a friendly. No-one really seemed up for it from either side.
This, United nor Bournemouth cared, nothing was on the line at all. Rooney was probably up for it trying to make sure he's a starter for the Euros. We shouldn't read anything in to this performance.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm usually one of the most critical of Rooney but I thought he should he could potentially offer us something in that role tonight.

Can he do it in a proper game though? Not sure
He was great tonight, but the game felt like a pre season friendly. Bournemouth had nothing to play for; some of the players would have been on a beach today if the match had not been postponed on Sunday.

Lets see how he does on Saturday in a high intensity cup final and also with England in Euro's. He certainly has the footballing instinct to make the switch, simply of question of is his skill set is good enough.

Acole9

Outstanding
Very good performance and certainly one of his best this season. Only criticism was that he played a few needless hollywood passes.

Walters_19_MuFc

Super game by our captain. Best passing display I've seen in a while from a United midfielder. Not only his switch of play to open things up, but the vision to get players in behind i.e. Young, Valencia. No one, bar Carrick, at times, does that for us.

If we're going to play him in midfield next season, we really need to think about what type of midfielder we need to bring the best out of him.

Bwuk

Super game by our captain. Best passing display I've seen in a while from a United midfielder. Not only his switch of play to open things up, but the vision to get players in behind i.e. Young, Valencia. No one, bar Carrick, at times, does that for us.

If we're going to play him in midfield next season, we really need to think about what type of midfielder we need to bring the best out of him.
I think it's inevitable he's going to end up playing the quarter back style role Gerrard played in the last year or two at Liverpool.

Bwuk

In front of the back four, or an 8?
As the deepest midfielder playing the ball from deep, with two more mobile midfielders ahead of him.

If I remember correctly, Liverpool played Gerrard deepest with Coutinho/Allen and Henderson ahead of him as #8s.

Devil may care

It was bad enough when he was pretending to be a #10 but he is actually trying to be CM now, we are fecked if he is a starter in that role for us next season.

Devil may care

As the deepest midfielder playing the ball from deep, with two more mobile midfielders ahead of him.

If I remember correctly, Liverpool played Gerrard deepest with Coutinho/Allen and Henderson ahead of him as #8s.
They did and it was terrible because that role requires good defensive positioning as well which Gerrard and Rooney don't have.

Bwuk

They did and it was terrible because that role requires good defensive positioning as well which Gerrard and Rooney don't have.
I don't disagree, it's what I think will happen unless Mourinho gets rid of him though.

wiz4231

Great game from him tonight, looking forward to seeing him play at CM next season. I'm glad he's come to realise himself that this is what he has to do to prolong his career in the game. He'll only get better with time in his new role. That is what I expect from a UTD captain, lead by example, dictated the game, creativity and defended well all in the heart of the game.

Devil may care

I don't disagree, it's what I think will happen unless Mourinho gets rid of him though.
Looking at how he has tried to play the role so far I'd think we would buy a proper #6 to cover him and let him be the box to box CM, it's a dreadful idea any way you look at it, we shouldn't be bending over backwards to prolong this has-beens career here.

C'est Moi Cantona

The fact he looked half decent says more about the opposition than him, Bournmouth were quite understandably half arsed in this game.

My worst nightmare is Rooney been given the midfielders role next season, and LvG staying....

Status
Not open for further replies.