5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneunited26

I also think he looked better in the second half when Januzaj came off. I do feel its been crowed in there for him possibly. Having a runner from a deep midfield role really seemed to improve our game I thought.
Not very difficult, drop janazaj for herrera, who actually knows how to play the no10 role like a boss

Ryan7

Good performance from him, but Brugge were torrid. Sunday is a proper test.

NessunDorma

Not really performance related, but look at these remarks from LvG - and once over, people were certain they wouldn't get on and Rooney would be shipped out (it was always more likely to be wishful thinking than reality, but that's what they were saying).

As here:

He is the most social guy and also very responsible. I think he trusts me, so that is very important and I trust him, so when he comes to me and has remarks I always pay attention to them.

He also has the confidence to say things that are not always normal for players to say, so that is also good for the atmosphere in the dressing room. He fulfills my expectations unbelievably well. I am very happy and proud of him. As a player, he is the example for everybody because his mentality is from a very high level.
http://www.90min.com/posts/2510063-...RSS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Good grief. For an uneducated person (supposedly), Wayne sure knows exactly how to play people.

Empire

Louis van Gaal expects Rooney to get around 25 goals, he isn't Brendan Rodgers taking random numbers out of the air, his staff obviously will have provided evidence Rooney can get this return. Rooney will be expected to play about 40 matches so 25 goals works out to around 3 in 5.

Interestingly in the past 5 seasons Rooney has averaged every 5 matches 2.65 goals (that's 5 seasons including this season so far) and most those games he hasn't even played as a striker. He also managed an average of 2 goals every 5 matches for the past three seasons, where he has played quite a bit deeper in addition to CAM under Ferguson, Moyes and Louis van Gaal and that also includes one season where we finished 7th and one where we finished 4th.

A return of 3 in 5 is a realistic target for him.

Treble

Encouraging words from LVG. Judging by our reluctance to sign a top striker, he believes in Rooney. If Rooney delivers, LVG's managerial post is safe. If Rooney fails, LVG fails too. Is United the next big club at which he is going to win a big trophey? Or rather the next big club at which he is going to be sacked again? He's sort of a flawed genius. You don't know what to expect: brilliance or underachievement.

SteveJ

Scout
Huh? What do you mean "play people"? And what's education got to do with it? He's making suggestions about playing football, not solving global warming.
With Moyes, DM desperately needed a senior player onboard to prop-up his poor credentials as United manager (while also shifting players he considered 'disloyal' to him); in this scenario, Wayne hardly even had to try to cement his position at the club. With LVG: Van Gaal often has a lieutenant amongst his players, an on-and-off-field 'captain' with whom LVG can discuss all manner of matters; I'm not sure that we, or him, should be listening to Wayne Rooney, of all people.

Duafc

Village Lemon
With Moyes, DM desperately needed a senior player onboard to prop-up his poor credentials as United manager (while also shifting players he considered 'disloyal' to him); in this scenario, Wayne hardly even had to try to cement his position at the club. With LVG: Van Gaal often has a lieutenant amongst his players, an on-and-off-field 'captain' with whom LVG can discuss all manner of matters; I'm not sure that we, or him, should be listening to Wayne Rooney, of all people.
Why?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Politics gone mad. There once was a time when nobody (players) was bigger than the club.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Politics gone mad. There once was a time when nobody (players) was bigger than the club.
Yeah, like that time Roy Keane held the club to ransom. Or all the way back to the 70s when Best just decided when he could be arsed turning up for training and matches.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bit absurd to suggst the manager shouldn't listen to an opinion from any player, never mind the club captain. Even more so in the context of an article where Van Gaal clearly states that he takes every opinion on its own merits.

You have to come with good arguments to change my philosophy but when you have a better argument than me I change. I am an open guy. I speak about everything, but also with all my other players
I still don't get what you mean about "playing" people, by the way. Would you prefer if Van Gaal never got any feedback from the players? Or is it just Rooney who should hold his tongue?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not too fussed about this. Fergie used to take advice from Keano, Neville and Giggsy as well. It's pretty normal for a manager to do this with his captain. I'm more interested in Rooney's on field performances. Apart from Brugge, it's been shit and he needs to seriously buck up.

SteveJ

Scout
Bit absurd to suggst the manager shouldn't listen to an opinion from any player, never mind the club captain.
That's not at all what I suggested.

Pogue Mahone said:
I still don't get what you mean about "playing" people, by the way.
I mean that he's looked after number one whenever the occasion's presented itself. I don't consider him to be a neutral observer, with the club's best interests at heart, when it comes to discussing things with Van Gaal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's not at all what I suggested.

I mean that he's looked after number one whenever the occasion's presented itself. I don't consider him to be a neutral observer, with the club's best interests at heart, when it comes to discussing things with Van Gaal.
You'll have to give me examples of him "looking after number one" in this context. I mean, he's not talking contract renewals with Van Gaal. He's talking about how to win games of football. What makes you think his priority here is anything other than winning?

SteveJ

Scout
You'll have to give me examples of him "looking after number one" in this context. I mean, he's not talking contract renewals with Van Gaal. He's talking about how to win games of football. What makes you think his priority here is anything other than winning?
Oh, granted I can only guess the detail of his conversations with LVG - it's all my opinion, rather than fact. Basically, I just don't feel that Wayne is United through-and-through (fair play to him, as he's always been honest about being an Everton supporter), so I'm always going to be uneasy about him being Captain and 'lieutenant'. But none of this matters - it's only so much opinionated garbage, after all - so long as he delivers, as I hope he does.

Empire

Van Gaal believes he can trust the 29-year-old to give an honest opinion on a wide range of topics - even cooking.

"Things like the selection and the kitchen and the members of the staff, everything you can mention, he is involved," Van Gaal said in the Sun.

"I think he trusts me so that is also very important and I trust him. So when he comes to me and has remarks I always pay attention."
For 300k per week he should do more than play football.

hp88

Seen this before from him, he will have a shite 45 minutes but a goal in second half is going to erase the first half from our memory.

lilcurt

The worst thing that could have happen did when he netted 3 in midweek.

That will reassure the management he can lead the line for the season, he can't.

VanGaalEra

Dissapointed he didn't shoot when Shaw played him in. Really terrible decision to try and cut back.

thejtrain

Seen this before from him, he will have a shite 45 minutes but a goal in second half is going to erase the first half from our memory.
Ya, as if he needs one. His hat-trick against Bruge will have him covered until at least November.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
At one point Herrera had the ball on the edge of the penalty area, Rooney was standing next to him watching...this is the weakness in his game as a #9

DevilRed

Several half chances but at least he is getting in behind the defence. Still think we don't fashion enough chances for him via crosses. He score about 20 goals from Valencia's crossing back in 2009/2010?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The worst thing that could have happen did when he netted 3 in midweek.

That will reassure the management he can lead the line for the season, he can't.
Yeah it was awful when he got that hat-trick. At 3-0 I was sitting there with my head in my hands.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thanks FC Brukka, now we're stuck with the fat man up front for the rest of the season due to his hat trick in midweek.

Status
Not open for further replies.