5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FujiVice

Wouldnt be against him playing back in midfield. He looked like Vidal compared to how he's looked up front this year.

El Zoido

I know we all hate the idea of him playing in midfield, but I'd prefer him there to Fellaini honestly.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Hopefully Jones or Smalling can make it for Swansea so we can try Blind in midfield. I really don't want to see Rooney there again, ever.
I'm a bit baffled Blind's not been played there earlier by Mourinho.

Surrounded by Herrera/Pogba he wouldn't be a bad idea as a DM IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Wouldnt be against him playing back in midfield. He looked like Vidal compared to how he's looked up front this year.
When Rooney's got time and space on the ball in midfield he's fine...but as soon as he's put under any pressure the slowness of his game is exposed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When Rooney's got time and space on the ball in midfield he's fine...but as soon as he's put under any pressure the slowness of his game is exposed.
So basically any Premier League, Europa League, Champions League, FA Cup or League Cup game?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So basically any Premier League, Europa League, Champions League, FA Cup or League Cup game?
To be fair, he's likely to get a reasonable amount of time/space in the ball in games where we're controlling possession, or where we're fairly comfortable on the ball. But yeah...I'd rather just have someone who's confident on the ball both when we're controlling the game and when we're not.

Dante

Average bang
We've had some of our best attacking performances with Rooney playing centrally. His ability to pick up pockets of space and occupy defenders is amongst the best you'll see. Regardless of whatever else he's lost in the last few years, he's still one of the most intelligent players in the league. Rashford/Martial/Lingard/Young have more room to cut in off the wings when Rooney is the CF. Certainly more so than Zlatan, who's far more of a traditional target man.

I know it's not popular to point out the positives that Rooney brings to the side, but there are plenty there if you can put away the anti-United bias.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've had some of our best attacking performances with Rooney playing centrally. His ability to pick up pockets of space and occupy defenders is amongst the best you'll see. Regardless of whatever else he's lost in the last few years, he's still one of the most intelligent players in the league. Rashford/Martial/Lingard/Young have more room to cut in off the wings when Rooney is the CF. Certainly more so than Zlatan, who's far more of a traditional target man.

I know it's not popular to point out the positives that Rooney brings to the side, but there are plenty there if you can put away the anti-United bias.
?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Not saying you are wrong, but I can't recall any of those performances, can you elaborate?

Treble

Even when he was at his best, his hold-up play wasn't world class. There is a reason why Fergie was desperate to sign RVP. The latter offered much more centrally, not necessarily in terms of goals/assists.

Still, Rooney has the chance now to bow out in a great way if he somehow contributes to United winning the EL and/or making the CL. Let's hope for the best.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He's going to play in midfield isn't he? Or at least Mourinho will deploy him as a 10 and Rooney will take that as a nod to sit on the half way line.

AndyJ1985

You should email that to Jose, who clearly doesn't agree with you.

iportman

Reports today morning that after the Burnley win Wazza celebrated by downing 5 pints of stella and was out until 3am. Obviously I dont know if the reports are legit, but again another example why the club must get rid end of the season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459462/Wayne-Rooney-drinks-Stella-Chester-pub-3am.html

Nobody cares if he drank 5 pints of stella or not as long as he shifted enough merchandise to cover his crazy wages , as for his footballing impact on the squad i suspect the tea lady is more important at this stage.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm a bit torn in this. You can't tell a man he can't drink beer. But should a professional athlete at his age and claiming his desperate to prove people wrong, that he isn't finished, be drinking 5 pints in the middle of the season?
What does it say about his dedication?

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm a bit torn in this. You can't tell a man he can't drink beer. But should a professional athlete at his age and claiming his desperate to prove people wrong, that he isn't finished, be drinking 5 pints in the middle of the season?
We've been here asking the same questions too many times about Rooney, so who cares at this point, he is gone, and if Mata's return means he doesn't play again for us then all the better imo.

Marcelinho87

Nuttin' to prove, la.

Z_Wolf

Seems like he has given up on his career. As much as I want him to revive, I don't think that's likely.

I can see him turning down any offer to leave the club and seeing out his very luctrative contract.

Last edited:

Anustart89

The thing I worry about is what he's going to be doing with all his spare time. If he shows some restraint during the season and still downs five pints right after a game, then I can only imagine how many he's going to be drinking when he won't have to worry about training every day. He'll probably go down the Gazza route.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

That's due to him being so shit opposition players stop marking him.

They'd want him to be open an receiving pass since He would be more likely to misplace a pass.

Go ahead analyse any match. Nobody marks him these days.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The thing I worry about is what he's going to be doing with all his spare time. If he shows some restraint during the season and still downs five pints right after a game, then I can only imagine how many he's going to be drinking when he won't have to worry about training every day. He'll probably go down the Gazza route.
I expect him to become obese pretty quickly after he retires.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Reports today morning that after the Burnley win Wazza celebrated by downing 5 pints of stella and was out until 3am. Obviously I dont know if the reports are legit, but again another example why the club must get rid end of the season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459462/Wayne-Rooney-drinks-Stella-Chester-pub-3am.html
He is his own worst enemy. Gets back into the side, scores and then does this. I wonder if he has a serous problem? Been lots of rumours over the years that he doesn't want to drink but he needs to drink...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He is his own worst enemy. Gets back into the side, scores and then does this. I wonder if he has a serous problem? Been lots of rumours over the years that he doesn't want to drink but he needs to drink...
If it's true, a big IF because it's the mail, I think he has a genuine problem. Some here will say "it's only a few beers, everyone has a right to do that". "Everyone" is not a professional athlete seemingly desperate to save their career and prove they are still a top bracket player. Top bracket players make sacrifices.

acnumber9

He's helping neither the midfield or the attack at the minute. Absolute waste of a selection currently.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is complete waste of position when he is playing in midfield and when we are defending, I reckon he is our worst player at pressing and intercepting the ball. Just jogs around getting nowhere near opposition players with the ball.

Art Vandelay

He is complete waste of position when he is playing in midfield and when we are defending, I reckon he is our worst player at pressing and intercepting the ball. Just jogs around getting nowhere near opposition players with the ball.
He does stick his leg out about 4 yards away from the player he's "pressing". Passion!

Minimalist

Sure wasn't there a rumour of depression last season as well? Which would be hardly surprising if he genuinely is a boozer.

Might partly explain why managers defend him so strongly (part sympathy).

Marcelinho87

Sure wasn't there a rumour of depression last season as well? Which would be hardly surprising if he genuinely is a boozer.

Might partly explain why managers defend him so strongly (part sympathy).
Anybody else see his life spiralling when he calls it a day? Maybe not Gascoigne level but that route.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Pretty bored of the absolute waste of time floater balls out the he right wing already.

Status
Not open for further replies.