Westminster Politics

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well it's not surprising is it, the money has to be filled from somewhere

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Testing the water for a return to austerity, surprised it’s taken this long
Oh feck off, not this fecking shit again. Since the year I fecking graduated it's been "feck you, feck them, feck everyone" and yet the rich keep getting richer and I get jumped up twats saying "at least you have a secure job". As if the only alternative to demanding fair pay that isn't 12% lower than those who did my job 15 years ago in real terms is to have no job at all. Feck. Off.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well it's not surprising is it, the money has to be filled from somewhere
@Pogue Mahone posted an article (which I can’t find now) suggesting it can be covered by 100 year bonds and I saw someone mention that we’re still slowly paying off a £20m bond from around the war time which is absolutely trivial now but made a huge difference back then.

Austerity is a political choice, it’s not the only choice.

Smores

QE could be messy we are already so low on interest rates
We don't even need that although i would support QE. I don't think raising money is the issue that's rarely an issue given the tit for tat nature of debt between nations.

The concern is keeping debt at a serviceable level that avoids the negative impacts, it certainly isn't paying this back.

Dobba

If the Conservatives want to go down the 'austerity' route following this... I just hope this time Labour aren't stupid enough to follow their lead because there will be little appetite for it, even following this downturn..
Sir Keir won't be opposing it. We're a few days removed from him calling for the furlough scheme to be eased.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
If the Conservatives want to go down the 'austerity' route following this... I just hope this time Labour aren't stupid enough to follow their lead because there will be little appetite for it, even following this downturn..
Yeah this my biggest worry, we've already seen something similar with furloughing, Labour mostly agreed with the tories(Offering a slightly less shit plan as an alternative)to then only be outdone by the tories u turning yesterday(Due to union pressure and the awful state of the economy).

Thankfully no one noticed but it's not a great sign for the future.

Acole9

Outstanding
It's clear there's no real plan and they're just making it up as they go along. That's why a lot of people have had enough now and keeping breaking the rules/flouting. Changing the advice to "Stay alert" is a nothing remark, it's almost like they've given up and they're pretty much saying "Do you what you like" or "Do what you think is best" without actually saying it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's not even subtle. The narrative around drugs and crime has to be about young black lads, even when facts to the contrary are at the heart of the article. And I bet that MPs as a percentage are more likely to be involved with cocaine than the typical black male is.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's not even subtle. The narrative around drugs and crime has to be about young black lads, even when facts to the contrary are at the heart of the article. And I bet that MPs as a percentage are more likely to be involved with cocaine than the typical black male is.
On a vaguely related note - my local newspaper insists on using photos of Asian people to accompany UK-based articles about the virus, time and time again.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
On a vaguely related note - my local newspaper insists on using photos of Asian people to accompany UK-based articles about the virus, time and time again.
Stuff like that always makes me wonder how much is it accidental/subconscious and how much of it is calculated. Seems a bit conspiratorial to be saying it’s deliberately pressing an association but sadly on reflection it doesn’t sound too outlandish.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Anyone who knows about this Bill knows what Yvette Cooper is voting for it?
Sounds like Labour’s policy is to abstain on the first reading, but Cooper’s proposed amendments which if not adopted Labour will then vote against it at a further reading.

Abizzz

I'm hyper critical of Boris and disagree with almost everything the tories do but the push to get homeless off the street during this pandemic deserves some praise. It will have helped loads of people gain some stability and maybe given them a path back into society (and saved loads of lives). This short guardian podcast about it is worth a listen. Obviously it all has the potential to go south when the lockdown is over but lets hope it doesn't and even if it does it might have given some a chance they might not otherwise have had. Having a roof over your head and a door you can lock at your will does wonders for mental health.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I'm hyper critical of Boris and disagree with almost everything the tories do but the push to get homeless off the street during this pandemic deserves some praise. It will have helped loads of people gain some stability and maybe given them a path back into society (and saved loads of lives). This short guardian podcast about it is worth a listen. Obviously it all has the potential to go south when the lockdown is over but lets hope it doesn't and even if it does it might have given some a chance they might not otherwise have had. Having a roof over your head and a door you can lock at your will does wonders for mental health.

Hundreds of homeless people who had been put up in hotels during the coronavirus pandemic must now be moved out after ministers quietly pulled the plug on the programme, the M.E.N. can reveal.

Civil servants have told Greater Manchester officials that the scheme - known as ‘Everyone In’ - is no longer being funded by central government and that March's original Covid guidance to local authorities has been scrapped.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The leader of the biggest teachers' trade union has issued a ultimatum to school heads across England and Wales - keep schools closed or face legal action. Kevin Courtney, who leads the National Education Union (NEU), which represents 450,000 teachers and other school staff, told BBC Breakfast's Naga Munchetty that they would sue school chiefs if they followed Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plan to reopen schools starting in the first week of June.
I mean that was announced I think a day after they said they wanted to re-open schools so hardly collaberativly engaging in finding the safest way to re-open is it - is that not trying to influence (get a grip) on the political process?

Surely the key has to be safety - and as with any workplace that discussion should involve staff but the aim must be to re-open as soon as it is safe to do so

Tibs

Battered by Starmer again.

Boris really is a fecking cnut.

Dobba

Good to see Sir Keir getting on board with the increasingly universal adoption of the hierarchy of deserving migrants.

Please check the board to see if your job is key enough to not pay a surcharge on top of your NI contributions.

Last edited:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I mean that was announced I think a day after they said they wanted to re-open schools so hardly collaberativly engaging in finding the safest way to re-open is it - is that not trying to influence (get a grip) on the political process?

Surely the key has to be safety - and as with any workplace that discussion should involve staff but the aim must be to re-open as soon as it is safe to do so

Yes, ‘the key has to be safety’, hence the union’s objections to the present government plans. Or are we suggesting unions should abrogate their responsibility at such a critical time and just acquiesce to government plans without scrutiny?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Yes, ‘the key has to be safety’, hence the union’s objections to the present government plans. Or are we suggesting unions should abrogate their responsibility at such a critical time and just acquiesce to government plans without scrutiny?
I'm suggesting coming on national news only a few hours after the government announce reopening and saying you will sue them before you have any details isn't putting safety first (as they should) its playing politics (badly)

Smores

I'm suggesting coming on national news only a few hours after the government announce reopening and saying you will sue them before you have any details isn't putting safety first (as they should) its playing politics (badly)
Isn't that just a reflection of them not being engaged prior to the announcement? It's the hard date that was the issue not the intention of opening again at some point.

They seem to have conceded on that hard date so the unions have done their job.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good to see Sir Keir getting on board with the increasingly universal adoption of the hierarchy of deserving migrants.

Please check the board to see if your job is key enough to not pay a surcharge on top of your NI contributions.
Or that the job you are doing is now classed as Low Skilled.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
And the government announcement was putting safety first, was it, and not playing politics (badly)? If he doesn’t have any details, I think the conclusion you draw from that is why is the government making the announcement without consulting the unions then.

The excerpt from the interview is also misleading, as I fully expected. He did not threaten to sue, he was asked explicitly if he felt that if teachers were put at risk in a classroom, could it lead to the government being sued. He answered yes. Would you expect the leader of the union to say ‘no, we will not use the law to protect my union members if necessary’. These points shouldn’t really need explaining but apparently they do.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Battered by Starmer again.

Boris really is a fecking cnut.
That is why they want a return to a full HoC.
Nothing to do with safety.
All to do with supporting their darling Boris.

I thought that Starmer was very restrained when Boris kept calling him ignorant.

Being called ignorant is far more preferable, Boris than actually being a liar.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That is why they want a return to a full HoC.
Nothing to do with safety.
All to do with supporting their darling Boris.

I thought that Starmer was very restrained when Boris kept calling him ignorant.

Being called ignorant is far more preferable, Boris than actually being a liar.
I actually think if starmer deals with it well pointing out that the conservatives are busy yaaaaa booooing like children whilst people are dying will work well for him (provided his own side can resist the urge to join in the pantomime)