Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They're working on a cunning plan to fob off the public.
Im expecting them to ignore this latest story and go with the “we have already addressed these allegations and will not be commenting any further as it’s distracting us from our important work staying alert, controlling the virus and protecting the nhs” approach.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Im expecting them to ignore this latest story and go with the “we have already addressed these allegations and will not be commenting any further as it’s distracting us from our important work staying alert, controlling the virus and protecting the nhs” approach.
Wouldn't put it past them. Cnuts.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It’s certainly interesting that we have yet to hear from anyone in or connected to the government yet and while every other journalist that has been discussing it over the last 24 hours has reflected on the latest news, Laura K has not been in any sort of rush to do the same.

I‘m going to make a solid bet that the time we hear from Laura next, will also be the time that the government has sorted out their line of messaging and is beginning to coordinate their response.

Wolverine

Why so incompetent in the lying? What possible rationale could there be in lying about the police having spoken to them and then doubling down?
They are all such amateurs in every sense.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This is excellent journalism:

There’s no need for gotchas on the day and fumbled answers, it‘s also incredibly difficult spin these direct questions.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why so incompetent in the lying? What possible rationale could there be in lying about the police having spoken to them and then doubling down?
Public-spirited professionals - police, scientists, healthcare workers etc - must be pretty pissed off at always being the government's scapegoats and whipping boys (and girls).

Hephaestus

They're going for the Trump response, just claim it's fake news from the fake media. Somehow a worse response than I expected and my expectations were low.

Brophs

The One and Only
He needs to be sacked. Not because he broke Lockdown, but because he got outwitted by the Mirror.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No surprise they’re doubling down and sealing the bunker. feck all else to do once they decided to go down that route. I still cannot fathom why they did not just apologise and turn this purely into a ‘he will not be resigning’ matter. They’re on far stronger ground there than they are with ‘this did not break guidelines he just loves his kids unlike you miserable bastards’

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He needs to be sacked. Not because he broke Lockdown, but because he got outwitted by the Mirror.
Him and half the cabinet. The fact no one even questioned him further to check if this was the only transgression is mildly amusing to me.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Public-spirited professionals - police, scientists, healthcare workers etc - must be pretty pissed off at always being the government's scapegoats and whipping boys (and girls).
I don't know any police officers sadly @TheReligion but certainly amongst the doctors, nurses and teachers I know, morale has been persistently chipped away over the past 10+ years, made worse by the fact they and their attack dogs in the media have taken pot shots when needed as well.

I'm sure fire officers must feel the same post Grenfell too.

SteveJ

Scout
That's every broadcaster in the universe boycotted by the Tories then.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

They're going for the Trump response, just claim it's fake news from the fake media. Somehow a worse response than I expected and my expectations were low.
It's wrapped in a far more erudite way than Trump every would but the fundamental message is still:

FAKE NEWS!

cyberman

So now everything was fake even though they were excusing everything until now? So what was all the sick kid bollocks about?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Rather gratifyingly it’s been led by the same Mirror journalist who Johnson kicked off his campaign bus because she was the only one there not willing to lick the Tory boots.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

It would be lovely if photos were uncovered...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I reckon they have got more lined up and the government suspect it too which is why they’re not going to defend with specifics anymore.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. Only going to get worse from here. Problem for them is, even Tory newspapers are covering it

Though the Mail on Sunday has predictably defended it and put a picture of Cummings with his kid on the cover to be sympathetic

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
What does Cummings have on Boris and the Tories that they're willing to go through all of this for him? He's like Boris' Rasputin.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The journos must be delighted to finally have a real story and one that possibly brings down an odious cnut like him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I was just wondering the same thing. You'd think with all the experience they have in telling lies they'd know that one as basic as "the police never spoke to the family" would be easily contradicted.

Unless they've just become so used to people pointing out their lies that they think it holds no consequence for them any more. Tell a lie, ignore people when they prove you wrong, move on.

Wolverine

I mean they do have a school governor who let him name be put in print and says his search history shows him looking up the number plate but there could literally be CCTV now and they'd defend him, in too deep now

SteveJ

Scout
Laura's been very quiet since the second story broke. Waiting for instructions?
That in itself is telling - this is an extremely big & rapidly developing story now, so you'd think that a 'normal' political journalist would be glued to their keyboard.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What does Cummings have on Boris and the Tories that they're willing to go through all of this for him? He's like Boris' Rasputin.
He’s his brain and his iron will. You can’t rule with an iron will if you are actually a fluffy bunny that gets outwitted by things like a kettle or some freshly starched underpants