Westminster Politics

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
As said earlier in this thread, it’s difficult for any politician to recover when their image becomes the focus of ridicule which is the case with almost all the current cabinet.

Rubbish. All through Thatcher's reign we had Spitting Image yet the pols were fine. They all loved the attention.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rubbish. All through Thatcher's reign we had Spitting Image yet the pols were fine. They all loved the attention.
That‘s different though. There’s a huge difference between Spitting Image’s cartoon caricatures which often sent up the image the politicians were themselves attempting to portray and the acerbic ridicule you find on social media which is calculated character assassination.

The likes of Johnson, Cummings, Hancock, Gove, Patel, Raab and co are getting the same treatment Corbyn and Abbott received and it’s not easy to recover from.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It depends on the nature of the ridicule, always. You can bet your life that Mrs Thatcher relished being portrayed as the only strong man in her government...that is, if she'd ever looked at a television screen.

Fingeredmouse

It depends on the nature of the ridicule, always. You can bet your life that Mrs Thatcher relished being portrayed as the only strong man in her government...that is, if she'd ever looked at a television screen.
Certainly David Steel is on recording as stating his Spitting Image caricature as a tiny man in David Owen's pocket had a significant impact on his career

SteveJ

Scout
Certainly David Steel is on recording as stating his Spitting Image caricature as a tiny man in David Owen's pocket had a significant impact on his career
Yeah. I have a poor memory yet even I can remember 'killer' lines from those Steel/Owen sketches, none of them flattering to Steel.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The truth is somewhere in between. The reason Cummings has got so far is because he's been able to control media narrative to political advantage in the past. Gove credits him with twice saving his career in the early days by doing so. The infamous big red bus lie was Cummings's strategy. The primary aim of it wasn't to convince people that we could better fund the NHS if we left the EU but to cause a media shitstorm and really light a fire under the Brexit debate. Cummings admits that it worked much better than even he anticipated.

They do have calculated strategy, if it works in the case is a different matter. I guess it depends on what the end is. If Boris really believes that he needs Cummings for Brexit no matter what and is balancing that against a short term battering in public confidence then they might just get away with it.
The difference with the big red bus lie was that Cummings and Boris had a large BrExit seeking constituency hoping he’d be right as well as it being an amazing benefit if it were true.

This context of this recent set of lies is totally different: there is no pro Covid19 vote base, 99% of the population have suffered by taking opposite decisions to his, with a vocal minority seriously suffering from emotional or psychological trauma because of that. And IF Cummings did have the rights to trust his ‘instincts’, then that must mean the other 99% are worse parents for not having done the same.

Cummings decisions cannot garner empathy with a large enough constituency. Plus he also further antogonised the media in his excuses, and they won’t ever forget that.

Lies are a dangerous business because you have to tell increasingly bigger ones to defend to original lie. As those require others to lie for you. Tory Ministers, MP’s and media outriders already sound ridiculous trying to defend him. That is not sustainable under ferocious and sustained scrutiny.

As social distancing measures relax, I can see families and friends of those who died (including Tory and Leave voters) attending protests, sharing more tragic stories and becoming further entrenched in their outrage. Their shared experience will unify them. It actually the perfect project for a group like Momentum to organise and propagate.

Even if Cummings survives a few weeks, is he able to perform his role as belligerent enforcer amongst Tory Government and civil service any more? He becomes a lame duck. Which in turn makes Boris one too. Cummings position has become untenable.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

The difference with the big red bus lie was that Cummings and Boris had a large BrExit seeking constituency hoping he’d be right as well as it being an amazing benefit if it were true.

This context of this recent set of lies is totally different: there is no pro Covid19 vote base, 99% of the population have suffered by taking opposite decisions to his, with a vocal minority seriously suffering from emotional or psychological trauma because of that. And IF Cummings did have the rights to trust his ‘instincts’, then that must mean the other 99% are worse parents for not having done the same.

Cummings decisions cannot garner empathy with a large enough constituency. Plus he also further antogonised the media in his excuses, and they won’t ever forget that.

Lies are a dangerous business because you have to tell increasingly bigger ones to defend to original lie. As those require others to lie for you. Tory Ministers, MP’s and media outriders already sound ridiculous trying to defend him. That is not sustainable under ferocious and sustained scrutiny.

As social distancing measures relax, I can see families and friends of those who died (including Tory and Leave voters) attending protests, sharing more tragic stories and becoming further entrenched in their outrage. Their shared experience will unify them. It actually the perfect project for a group like Momentum to organise and propagate.

Even if Cummings survives a few weeks, is he able to perform his role as belligerent enforcer amongst Tory Government and civil service any more? He becomes a lame duck. Which in turn makes Boris one too. Cummings position has become untenable.
I don't disagree entirely. He's got so many enemies he's effectively been a dead man walking since they got into power. The press are still smarting about how he tried to control them in the run up to the election so are unlikely to let this drop.

I wasn't trying to say that this is a winning strategy, however. Just that his job is to try and manipulate media narrative and that he does use methods that ostensibly appear to be one thing when in fact they are another.

Last edited:

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Rightfully getting slammed in the replies. Beyond tone death.

This definitely puts paid to the theory amongst some that he was the only decent member of the cabinet. Deliberate gaslighting and a failure to understand public mood.

SteveJ

Scout
'Highlights' from Boris Johnson's committee hearing:

"The last time a prime minister appeared before the committee was 12 months ago," Sir Bernard Jenkin said.

"Can you, prime minister, commit to attending regularly this and again before summer recess?"

Boris Johnson asks if he can get back to him on that as “there is a lot on at the moment.'”
-------

"Inquiry into Cummings' actions not a good use of official time" says Johnson.'
-------

'"We need to move on," says Johnson'

Wilt

Boris getting roasted right now.

When will one of them ask ...what Is the hold that Cummings has over him (Boris) ?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rightfully getting slammed in the replies. Beyond tone death.

..and now they've completed the set by having the uncle who doesn't understand that his attempts to be cool are actually very cringy and make him look like an absolute whopper. How can you be so shite at understanding people? This whole cabinet is fecking awful at empathy.

SteveJ

Scout
"Prime Minister, did you just steal my wallet?"
"No."
"Can you prove it?"
"Yes."
"Can I see the proof?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because it's magic."

F-Red

There is some massive irony with Jeremy Hunt whenever he talks about the NHS :lol:

Johnson just comes across as a bigger buffoon in this, and this is what should be an easier ride than a public press conference.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Hilarious how quick the BBC is to apologise when its annoys the right-wing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Christ, who managed to convince Yvette Cooper that Boris is disabled? Not seen her that fired up since they had enough money to live on, without having to jump through flaming hoops.
Did you see her entire exchange? Full of ferocious soundbites and fire.

Acole9

Outstanding
He needs to go, absolute embarrassment. This government is the worst I've seen, yes worse than the 2008 recession Labour government.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is blatantly unfit.
Any kind of question that requires even the tiniest detail, he fumbles.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
No chance are this government lasting the next four years, they'll be another election before then.

TheGame

Sad fact is Boris isn’t going anywhere. He is into an 80 seat majority and he does not give a crap. Goodness only knows the mess the country will be in but it’s miraculous people are only finding out how he is now!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
At least he actually has to work for a living now. He was expecting a big wheeze for four years of enriching him and his mates. He must hate how hard he has to work now.

Smores

'The really important thing now is you all stop asking me these difficult questions' is the jist of his feedback to committee so far.