Westminster Politics

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
BBC news had a journalist in a boat alongside a migrant boat, interviewing them as they came across. It was just bizarre to watch.

I think it’s going to become a massive topic of conversation if the weather stays good enough for more crossings.
But let’s be honest the entire thing is a massive dead cat. This has been happening for years and years.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
BBC news had a journalist in a boat alongside a migrant boat, interviewing them as they came across. It was just bizarre to watch.

I think it’s going to become a massive topic of conversation if the weather stays good enough for more crossings.
I suspect most planning to cross will want to do so before the weather gets signifigantly worse - so probably the next month or so - which will be a fractious backdrop to the brexit negotiations

jeff_goldblum

The problem here is that there isn't a 'Civil Service entrance exam' per se. A lot of entry-level roles involve basic numeracy/comprehension tests or situational judgement tests which are routinely passed by people with no education beyond GCSE, higher up roles may involve more difficult versions of these tests. It could refer to the Fast-Stream graduate scheme, which involves multiple stages of different tests (numeracy, literacy, situational judgement, a scenario-based roleplay exercise, a video interview, a day in a testing centre and a final in-person interview). The vast majority of people fail at some point along the way (the average successful applicant will fail twice before getting in).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't think someone should be called out either for failing a situational judgement test, they're bollocks.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's amazing how you can be the biggest loser politician and most useless ineffectual Labour leader ever, yet still carry the blame for so many of our social and political ills. Very impressive the way these Tory pigs and the utter scum that voted for them escape any responsibility for their mess.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's amazing how you can be the biggest loser politician and most useless ineffectual Labour leader ever, yet still carry the blame for so many of our social and political ills. Very impressive the way these Tory pigs and the utter scum that voted for them escape any responsibility for their mess.
So much for turning the blue wall red again then...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The blame lies with the average Joe. We are exceptionally ignorant and thick.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
So much for turning the blue wall red again then...
Yeah I'm sure some random comment on a football message board is gonna influence that.

The only thing that will turn the blue wall red again is the inevitable suffering and pain that will come with 4 more years of these corrupt incompetent bellends dragging the country through the gutter.

Fluctuation0161

Yes but that attitude of people are scum if they voted for Conservative or the whole red tory rubbish directed at anybody who thought jezbollah was going to prove unelectable isn't going to be the attitude that wins votes back
Alright Guido.

Its more the media And their influence than the average Joe who are to blame.

Leveson 2 would be the right thing to do. One of the major reasons Labour had such bad press during the last election is because they were going to hold the press to account. Something the Tories will not do.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Priti Patel apparently told a load of Tory MPs on a call that the migrants are coming because they think France is racist and they might be tortured. One MP is reported as saying “She was calling them racist and she is right. They are more racist than us,”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-believe-france-racist?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The fecking brass neck of these cnuts. The UK is considerably more racist than France.

Classical Mechanic

Priti Patel apparently told a load of Tory MPs on a call that the migrants are coming because they think France is racist and they might be tortured. One MP is reported as saying “She was calling them racist and she is right. They are more racist than us,”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-believe-france-racist?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The fecking brass neck of these cnuts. The UK is considerably more racist than France.
Not according to reports done by the EU. France is more racist than the UK by almost every measure they used

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2019-being-black-in-the-eu-summary_en.pdf

Full report

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2018-being-black-in-the-eu_en.pdf

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s depressing that despite all of Carole’s continued amazing journalism, it ultimately means absolutely nothing as nobody else in the media has any appetite to bring any of this and the implications of it to light for the population that doesn’t read the left wing media or follow it on Twitter.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Bit of a sweeping generalisation. The UK has over 65m people. France slightly less.
Do you speak on behalf of all of them?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Bit of a sweeping generalisation. The UK has over 65m people. France slightly less.
Do you speak on behalf of all of them?
Nope, just speaking from my experiences of the two countries, and the experience of my half Indian girlfriend and her family, including her Mauritian father who arrived in France as an illegal many years ago, and whose brothers lived in other countries such as the UK and Ireland.

My take on it (and yes anecdotal evidence is always a poor source) is that France with its much higher racial diversity is a much less racist country than the UK, whereas the UK is a much less sexist country than France. The racial thing actually makes a lot of sense when you consider how very, very white the UK is. In my ex-mining town, I think we had something like 1 black person and one Asian in my entire school year, and I don’t really remember many more in the other years. Racism was absolutely rife, and isn’t that much different today. Seeing someone of colour in my home village is still extremely unusual.

Maybe it’s different in other parts of the UK, and especially the cities, but anyone trying to claim the UK is some bastion of anti-racism is going to get rolling eyes from me.

TheGame

It’s depressing that despite all of Carole’s continued amazing journalism, it ultimately means absolutely nothing as nobody else in the media has any appetite to bring any of this and the implications of it to light for the population that doesn’t read the left wing media or follow it on Twitter.
I agree, the media reporting has been disgraceful. She has riled Banks and Wigmore because they know she is onto them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Nope, just speaking from my experiences of the two countries, and the experience of my half Indian girlfriend and her family, including her Mauritian father who arrived in France as an illegal many years ago, and whose brothers lived in other countries such as the UK and Ireland.

My take on it (and yes anecdotal evidence is always a poor source) is that France with its much higher racial diversity is a much less racist country than the UK, whereas the UK is a much less sexist country than France. The racial thing actually makes a lot of sense when you consider how very, very white the UK is. In my ex-mining town, I think we had something like 1 black person and one Asian in my entire school year, and I don’t really remember many more in the other years. Racism was absolutely rife, and isn’t that much different today. Seeing someone of colour in my home village is still extremely unusual.

Maybe it’s different in other parts of the UK, and especially the cities, but anyone trying to claim the UK is some bastion of anti-racism is going to get rolling eyes from me.
Is the French countryside really diverse? I had the idea the bulk of its ethnic minority population lives in urban areas, same as in England.
My Mauritian wife has found France more racist, as another anecdote.
I'm sure neither are particularly welcoming if you're a refugee.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Is the French countryside really diverse? I had the idea the bulk of its ethnic minority population lives in urban areas, same as in England.
My Mauritian wife has found France more racist, as another anecdote.
I'm sure neither are particularly welcoming if you're a refugee.
It seems more diverse, although apparently it wasn’t when he originally came as an immigrant. Her family are from the south though, so it might be more diverse as a result of being much closer to the Med. I live in Lyon and that’s pretty diverse, but I don’t know much about the north.

Smores

Indeed, there seems to be a small group of journalists willing to go it relatively alone and stand up to these people. They shouldn't have to though and i really question why the BBC in particular aren't stronger in it.

FireballXL5

Maybe because the British government is balls deep into all this as much as the Americans? Just look at all the familiar names that keep cropping up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Thank is a very fair point.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just a random thought.

Wonder if all these no doubt working class Tory voters who believe it’s a ‘plandemic’ or that masks are useless will vote them out considering they’d have to be complicit in the lie or at best still be inept? Or maybe their thinking doesn’t stretch that far?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Just a random thought.

Wonder if all these no doubt working class Tory voters who believe it’s a ‘plandemic’ or that masks are useless will vote them out considering they’d have to be complicit in the lie or at best still be inept? Or maybe their thinking doesn’t stretch that far?
Probably find a way to blame it on Corbyn or immigrants.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I read a tweet by Musa Okwonga which I thought summed up the recent dodgy contracts and cronyism perfectly. His premise was that this government was elected to "sort out" Brexit and be tougher on immigration. As long as they get that done, their voters would see the Tories enriching themselves and their mates as an acceptable price to pay.

The more stories that are coming out, and the subsequent lack of any real outrage from the general public, the more I think he's got it spot on. It's depressing how few people seem to care about holding this government to account.

Fluctuation0161

It is becoming very apparent that Tory coffers are topped up with Russian money.

Adding Lebedev, son of an ex KGB officer, to the house of lords was yet another massive red flag.

Imagine the outcry if Corbyn had done that. The double standards are ridiculous.