Westminster Politics

F-Red

At least 300,000 applications for universal credit during the first four months of pandemic were deemed ineligible because those trying to claim had over £16,000 in savings or their partners were deemed to earn too much under strict means-tested welfare rules, according to official figures obtained by the Labour party.

jeff_goldblum

I know that's not a good way to win arguments, but frankly if someone can look at the slate of truly abhorrent things the Tories have done in office over the last 10 years and still actively support them in 2020, I find it very difficult not to judge that as either a moral fault, a show of supreme ignorance or a combination of the two.

Call it closed-minded or whatever, but I have no interest in putting my time and effort into building friendships with people who, if they didn't know me personally, would happily let me starve/freeze if I was poor, or lock me up or send me back to a war-zone if I wasn't British.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I know that's not a good way to win arguments, but frankly if someone can look at the slate of truly abhorrent things the Tories have done in office over the last 10 years and still actively support them in 2020, I find it very difficult not to judge that as either a moral fault, a show of supreme ignorance or a combination of the two.

Call it closed-minded or whatever, but I have no interest in putting my time and effort into building friendships with people who, if they didn't know me personally, would happily let me starve/freeze if I was poor, or lock me up or send me back to a war-zone if I wasn't British.
I genuinely was talking about the mps, although I'd happily class anyone in favour of sending immigrants to an offshore 'holding area' as scum in all honesty.

He's got a very "watch your tone" attitude hasn't he? Jumped up little shit.
It’s a pathetic response. But so also is the tweet about being prosecuted.

Clearly it’s not protocol, but at that point you want the speaker to step in and say “not good enough, answer again”.

Fingeredmouse

I don’t really see your problem, I’m calling a minister and his response pathetic?
I don't see your problem. I'm suggesting that a pathetic tweet from a non entity is not equitable with a pathetic response from the Secretary of State for Health.

Therefore: whilst both pathetic they are not equivalent.

I don't see your problem. I'm suggesting that a pathetic tweet from a non entity is not equitable with a pathetic response from the Secretary of State for Health.

Therefore: whilst both pathetic they are not equivalent.
Who said they were? I didn’t realise we had to grade levels of patheticness.

Both are stupid responses. No one said they were directly comparable.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Absolute state of this:

Ah this is clearly a tactic cascaded down from Dom and his Blue Sky misfit incel team. Whenever you get challenged on some policy or failing, answer like they've actually criticised the front line workers we clapped like seals for.

I'd say I can't believe anyone falls for it but people are stupid.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Absolutely pathetic from Hancock, he may as well stick his fingers in his ears and shout la la la I cant hear you, everything is wonderful. Pathetic little bitch.

RedChip

Watching Sturgeon deal with the breach of COVID-19 rules by one of her colleagues... classy leadership.

Watching Sturgeon deal with the breach of COVID-19 rules by one of her colleagues... classy leadership.
Was interesting to watch Ian Blackford this morning refusing to say she should resign. Just that she should “do the right thing”, which in effect is the same thing - and despite the leader of the party saying she should resign.

I am no fan of Sturgeon, but she’s a very effective politician.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Go home mate. There’s some good debate on here, this adds nothing.
Keep contradicting yourself mate. In future don't make silly comparisons between twitter posts and government ministers speaking in Parliament.

That would improve the quality of debate on here. You have only added nonsense, reading the last couple of pages.

Keep contradicting yourself mate. In future don't make silly comparisons between twitter posts and government ministers speaking in Parliament.

That would improve the quality of debate on here. You have only added nonsense, reading the last couple of pages.
oh dear, got yourself all wrapped up in such a ridiculous point, and you go on about writing nonsense. Pot kettle.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Wad interesting to watch Ian Blackford this morning refusing to say she should resign. Just that she should “do the right thing”, which in effect is the same thing - and despite the leader of the party saying she should resign.

I am no fan of Sturgeon, but she’s a very effective politician.
The most effective in the country, comfortably.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The most effective in the country, comfortably.
will be interesting to see how she handles the indy ref 2... willl she push for it straight away post brexit or use the scottish elections in 2021 as a staging post (if you vote for snp you are voting for indy ref 2)
Suspect Boris is glad she never won a seat as a Westminster MP because she would probably do a significantly better job than blackford with 2 questions at PMQ's

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
will be interesting to see how she handles the indy ref 2... willl SHE push for it straight away post brexit or use the scottish elections in 2021 as a staging post (if you vote for snp you are voting for indy ref 2)
Suspect Boris is glad she never won a seat as a Westminster MP because she would probably do a significantly better job than blackford with 2 questions at PMQ's
I could not agree more, she wouldn't stand for his blustering and evasiveness for a second.

Sweet Square

No one in Westminster gives enough of a shit about Scotland to bother looking at the SNP awful record in government and Sturgeon can blame and attack the racist/xenophobic Tory Party with progressive nationalist rhetoric as cover for her failures.

She plays the role well tbf but it's not much use if you're on a NHS waiting list.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Absolute state of this:

Don't understand. What did he actually say that was divisive.
The answer is perfectly simple.
Hancock does not know when it will be. So he does exactly the same as his so called leader. Not answer the entirely legitimate question and attack the person who asked it. Hancock. You are a disgrace.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly, poor by the speaker, should have made him answer.
100% correct. It is exactly the same as during PMQs. I have written to my MP complaining about the same thing and he has told me that he will pass on my comments to the speaker.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah this is clearly a tactic cascaded down from Dom and his Blue Sky misfit incel team. Whenever you get challenged on some policy or failing, answer like they've actually criticised the front line workers we clapped like seals for.

I'd say I can't believe anyone falls for it but people are stupid.
For me it goes back to Cameron answering a question on the rise of food banks by accusing the questioner of disrespecting food Bank volunteers and then saying that it's because Labour liked to hide them. Can't find a video link but that PMQs moment is burned in my brain due to Ham Cam's utter fecking cheek/balls.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No one in Westminster gives enough of a shit about Scotland to bother looking at the SNP awful record in government and Sturgeon can blame and attack the racist/xenophobic Tory Party with progressive nationalist rhetoric as cover for her failures.

She plays the role well tbf but it's not much use if you're on a NHS waiting list.
Or struggling at an underfunded school or college because the universities got all the money to build another fecking Glasgow Uni vanity project in a disused hospital. Not that I've got a grudge. Junkie cnuts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolute state of this:

Its Tory tactics. I predicted as much from Johnson earlier in the week:
Starmer: “You have failed to fund and support the NHS”
Boris: “I find it absolutely reprehensible that you would attack the hard working doctors, nurses and cancer patients of the NHS like that and urge you to apologise and withdraw the statement”

It gets very tiring and very boring very quickly.

DavidDeSchmikes

Absolute state of this:

remember the watch her tone response to the Shadow Health Secretary? That's the tactic, attack the person asking the question. "sTop being nEgaTive, be more positive, watch your tone, divisive language '

will be interesting to see how she handles the indy ref 2... willl she push for it straight away post brexit or use the scottish elections in 2021 as a staging post (if you vote for snp you are voting for indy ref 2)
I think he would be more than happy if she was an MP, Blackford is just a minor nuisance, all blister, and whilst she would clearly be more effective than him, it is her role as First Minister where she has power and influence, and there is no one in the SNP who could be anywhere near as effective.

Classical Mechanic

Nield showed how easy it is to take her apart at the last election. Like you say, no one down here is interested enough to challenge her on anything. She gets constant free hits when she’s on UK wide TV.

DavidDeSchmikes

especially when you compare her to the bumbling, incompetent Boris Johnson

Fluctuation0161

100% correct. It is exactly the same as during PMQs. I have written to my MP complaining about the same thing and he has told me that he will pass on my comments to the speaker.
The problem is compounded by having a new speaker, working in the role for the first time in parliament with a strong Tory majority. I fear he is toothless. Bring back Bercow!