Westminster Politics

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Here we go...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54827100

"Scottish Secretary Alister Jack has said the UK government intends to refuse another independence referendum "for a generation".
In a BBC interview, Mr Jack suggested a generation could be "25 or 40 years".

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon accused him of a "rage against democracy" that would not prevail in blocking indyref2.
Meanwhile, former Tory minister Lord Dunlop has said Boris Johnson urgently needs a clear strategy to counter rising support for independence.

Ten opinion polls since June have suggested a majority now favour Scottish independence, with 54% on average backing yes.

The UK government has consistently opposed a new vote, and Mr Jack has sought to harden this position."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ffs. The "Special relationship" is as important as royal wedding parades and all that other for-the-sake-of-tradition shite that the average person doesn't have the luxury to have occupying their time with.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It does not surprise me that all of them have to do with corruption.
Boris is running a racket.

fergosaurus

Look at this idiot. Didn't he tell Obama to stay out of UK elections, what a moron.

So Nigel is saying he's worried about people being divided? Don't make me laugh. I suppose now that Biden has won, DC can now take down all the boarding, because according to Farage it's only BLM and the radical left who riots.

Drifter

American
Joe Biden's election victory could soon spell trouble for Britain's 'mini-Trump' Boris Johnson

As President-elect Joe Biden prepares to enter the White House in January, concerns have been growing in the UK about what his election will mean for relations between the US and the man President Trump once labeled "Britain Trump."

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Biden are not natural bedfellows. Figures on Biden's campaign have told Business Insider that the president-elect has genuine hostility towards the prime minister who he believes is a right-wing populist cut from the same cloth as the outgoing president.

This disdain for Johnson was apparent in a remark made by Biden last December that went largely unnoticed in the UK press, in which he called Johnson "kind of a physical and emotional clone" of Donald Trump.

The same sentiment was echoed by prominent Conservative party journalist James Forsyth, who on Friday wrote in the Times of London that those around Biden see Johnson as a "mini-Trump."

This apparent disdain has several origins. One key moment seems to have been Johnson's comments in 2016 towards Barack Obama, when he claimed that the former president's "part-Kenyan" heritage meant he had an "ancestral dislike of the British empire."

A source in Biden's campaign team told Business Insider that "Joe has a long memory," about such things.

"Barack Obama and Joe Biden are family. It's not a political friendship," they added.

Those around Johnson are optimistic that a good relationship can be built between the two leaders.

However, some UK diplomats and politicians believe that Downing Street may have underestimated the extent to which Biden might feel real personal animosity towards Boris Johnson.

This animosity stems from Johnson's warm relationship with President Trump.

"The events of 2016 created a Boris/Trump relationship which will undoubtedly have stuck in the throats of some in the Democratic party in the United States and they've used their political closeness since," Nigel Sheinwald, the former US ambassador in Washington, told Business Insider.

"That will have a short-term effect [in general] and a short-term effect on the UK media who tend to see these things in highly vivid and colourful ways."

This point was echoed by Peter Westmacott, another former UK ambassador to Washington, who told an Institute for Government event last week that "the last couple of prime ministers here in the United Kingdom have made a point of getting close to the Trump administration and that has not gone without notice in the Biden team. So there will be a bit of work to be done."

Biden's team is said to have been keeping a close eye on Johnson's UK government. Dominic Cummings, the UK prime minister's self-described anti-establishment chief adviser, is often likened by some on Biden's team to Stephen Miller, the policy adviser to Trump who played a big part in the president's controversial 2017 travel ban and policy of separating migrant children from their parents.

Then there is the issue of Brexit, which Biden remains ideologically opposed to.
Biden has already angered some in Downing Street by warning Boris Johnson away from a threat to break International law and potentially undermine the Good Friday Agreement, a move widely seen as a negotiating gambit to secure favourable Brexit terms from the EU.

Biden, who has Irish roots, has called the Good Friday Agreement one of the US's most significant foreign policy achievements and takes an intense interest in the Irish peace process. Johnson's perceived threats to undermine the process will not have been received well.

However, a former White House official who is close to the Biden campaign said that while the president-elect does not have a strong personal relationship with Prime Minister Johnson, his team is wary of creating a negative first impression in the UK and wants to avoid looking confrontational.

"My guess is they'll reach out very early and there's been specific talk about the UK being a first call. People are aware of history and aware of tradition and don't want to make waves unless it's absolutely necessary," they told Business Insider.

The two men have never met, Downing Street confirmed this week. However, there is broader room for the two men to build a strong working relationship.

The president-elect has pledged to rejoin the Paris accord, a landmark climate change agreement from which Trump pulled the US, to end trade wars with other powers, and to bring an end to spats and attacks on American allies.

"In the long run, unless I've got Biden wrong, I see him as a pragmatist, someone with a conventional view of American interest and power," said Nigel Sheinwald, the former UK ambassador to the US, in an interview with Business Insider.

A president who acts with a traditional understanding and approach to US alliances and power structures will undoubtedly be welcome in Downing Street.

"I would very much hope that, should there be a Biden presidency, we would see a recommitment to climate change, to efforts in the Middle East to seek a way forward with Iran rather than just confrontation," said Alistair Burt, a former UK Foreign Office minister.

The truth, however, is that a Biden presidency will present a fast-moving mix of both problems and opportunities for Johnson's Downing Street.

"We often get into absolute binary discussions — somebody's good for us, somebody's bad for us," said Burt, who worked closely alongside Johnson.

"It isn't like that. A Biden presidency will have mixed issues for the United Kingdom. There will be things that many of us in the United Kingdom would like to see, and there will be other areas which may be tougher for the United Kingdom."

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need a constitution.
Surely there must be some part of the existing system that should be holding them accountable for this?
I know they pushed through legislation so they don't have to go through the usual procedures when handing out government contracts (though I feel there were at least a few cases of dodgy stuff going on with brexit things before all this), but this is clear bs stuff.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The right wing press have been briefed this morning to distance Johnson from the lockdown decision as much as possible, with the usual unnamed sources saying he was duped by scientists.
Convenient, given the Sun and DM have come out strongly against the decision.

COVID RAGE Boris Johnson ‘furious’ at being ‘bounced’ into 2nd Covid lockdown after ‘confusing’ data from scientists, says minister

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13144024/boris-johnson-furious-bounced-lockdown/

Tories demand blanket lockdown ends BEFORE December 2 amid claims 'furious' Boris Johnson believes he was 'bounced' into the extreme curbs by leaks and overblown data - as daily infections drop AGAIN

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-ends-early-amid-claims-PM-fears-bounced.html

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The right wing press have been briefed this morning to distance Johnson from the lockdown decision as much as possible, with the usual unnamed sources saying he was duped by scientists.
Convenient, given the Sun and DM have come out strongly against the decision.

COVID RAGE Boris Johnson ‘furious’ at being ‘bounced’ into 2nd Covid lockdown after ‘confusing’ data from scientists, says minister

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13144024/boris-johnson-furious-bounced-lockdown/

Tories demand blanket lockdown ends BEFORE December 2 amid claims 'furious' Boris Johnson believes he was 'bounced' into the extreme curbs by leaks and overblown data - as daily infections drop AGAIN

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-ends-early-amid-claims-PM-fears-bounced.html
Almost everything is open to be fair. Nobody seems to give a Fcuk anymore. May as well open everything back up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just baffles me how the cronyism and lies are so incredibly obvious and half the country does not care. Absolutely insane how they try to portray themselves as men of the people.

Jippy

Staff
Almost everything is open to be fair. Nobody seems to give a Fcuk anymore. May as well open everything back up.
Huh? Only supermarkets and takeaways open round here.
Maybe the government will shorten the lockdown if new infections fall, not like another U-turn would be a shock.
It does seem they don't realise that blaming scientists and old data doesn't deflect from their own incompetence though.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Maybe the government will shorten the lockdown if new infections fall, not like another U-turn would be a shock.
It does seem they don't realise that blaming scientists and old data doesn't deflect from their own incompetence though.
Standard blaming anyone but themselves, it would be disappointing if they suddenly completed a U turn and opened everything, just because things might be reducing it doesn’t mean things will suddenly change.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I’m staggered by how London looks at the moment. People can’t get a haircut, buy new clothes or go to a mall. That seems to have seen everyone congregate in public spaces. I’ve been on a decent bike ride every day and most neighbourhoods are full of people eating and drinking. Nobody is staying home like they did in the first lockdown.

Jippy

Staff
I’m staggered by how London looks at the moment. People can’t get a haircut, buy new clothes or go to a mall. That seems to have seen everyone congregate in public spaces. I’ve been on a decent bike ride every day and most neighbourhoods are full of people eating and drinking. Nobody is staying home like they did in the first lockdown.
Where are they eating and drinking? I just got back from Cyprus at the weekend, so have only been to the supermarket and not had a wander around.
At least this lockdown has a seemingly short and defined duration, unlike the last one I suppose. Plus the supposed lure of 'Boris saving Christmas' if we all obey the rules.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Surely there must be some part of the existing system that should be holding them accountable for this?
I know they pushed through legislation so they don't have to go through the usual procedures when handing out government contracts (though I feel there were at least a few cases of dodgy stuff going on with brexit things before all this), but this is clear bs stuff.
They have a massive majority and can stay in power for another 5 years. Who is going to hold them accountable? The media that is largely in their pockets?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Where are they eating and drinking? I just got back from Cyprus at the weekend, so have only been to the supermarket and not had a wander around.
At least this lockdown has a seemingly short and defined duration, unlike the last one I suppose. Plus the supposed lure of 'Boris saving Christmas' if we all obey the rules.
Food vendors / market stalls are exempt. So they can sell freely. Pubs are selling beer in plastic cups. Victoria Park was insane. Not quite peak summer levels but close to it.

Taking a look at the lockdown rules, it’s really just Tier 3 in a different name.

Jippy

Staff
Food vendors / market stalls are exempt. So they can sell freely. Pubs are selling beer in plastic cups. Victoria Park was insane. Not quite peak summer levels but close to it.

Taking a look at the lockdown rules, it’s really just Tier 3 in a different name.
Ah ok, just seen the pics. There's only an occasional market in Hammersmith, so we don't have anything like that. I guess that's why everyone's thronging there...

If they've admitted the data underpinning this lockdown is wrong, it's hard to damage people for not giving too much of a shit.