Westminster Politics

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Guys, this is corruption run amok. Are we going to let this slide?
What can we actually do? They've brainwashed half the population.

I'm hoping beyond hope that at some point a pin might drop with the link between all this theft of public money and the inevitable second wave of austerity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What can we actually do? They've brainwashed half the population.

I'm hoping beyond hope that at some point a pin might drop with the link between all this theft of public money and the inevitable second wave of austerity.
We as voters are ultimately responsible. We have signaled that we don't care.

Smores

Guys, this is corruption run amok. Are we going to let this slide?
Think you have to direct that question to Starmer.

Labour should be filling up the airwaves with their outrage on the likes of this but we get one or two quotes in an article nobody reads.

We voted out the protest wing of the party and told protest groups like Momentum that they weren't welcome, this is what you get.

MoskvaRed

Labour, Lib Dems and the Greens are going to have to put egos to one side and run on a joint ticket which promises PR. Otherwise, it’s Tory hegemony with the ever increasing corruption that always develops in one party states.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s far too easy to blame Labour and Starmer for this though. I’ve been as disappointed as anyone with Starmer and the direction the party is going in but none of Starmer’s words and actions should be leading any voters to the logical conclusion of switching their vote to the Tories. He’s turning off the left, not the centre.

The biggest issue in this country is that the only people that really have any sort of clue about the lengths and depths of Tory corruption and depravity are the ones that actually care to look and you won’t be bleeding their votes to the right. 90%+ of this country get their news from BBC, ITV, Daily Mail, Express, The Sun and most sad of all, Facebook. All of those sources are meticulous in the care they take to manage the Tory party image and condition the electorate into thinking the problem lies with {insert enemy here} and the Tory party has its sleeves rolled up and is fighting like hell for the common man.

Unless you’ve got the billions to buy a newspaper and encourage real journalism rather than client journalism, you’re not going to change anything. The only hope we have is a generational shift and millennials and below making the electorate majority. At which point you’d hope we can finally oust them. When you look at people like @Pogue Mahone shifting to the right and falling for the whole campaign against ‘the evil enemy of today wokeness” hook line and sinker you realise it will never be that simple and the right will always find a way of persuading the electorate that there’s something they can unite over and fight against that’s far more important than trivial things like government corruption on an industrial scale and human rights abuses. It’s people that care about the right pronouns that are destroying the foundations and infrastructure of this country.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s far too easy to blame Labour and Starmer for this though. I’ve been as disappointed as anyone with Starmer and the direction the party is going in but none of Starmer’s words and actions should be leading any voters to the logical conclusion of switching their vote to the Tories. He’s turning off the left, not the centre.

The biggest issue in this country is that the only people that really have any sort of clue about the lengths and depths of Tory corruption and depravity are the ones that actually care to look and you won’t be bleeding their votes to the right. 90%+ of this country get their news from BBC, ITV, Daily Mail, Express, The Sun and most sad of all, Facebook. All of those sources are meticulous in the care they take to manage the Tory party image and condition the electorate into thinking the problem lies with {insert enemy here} and the Tory party has its sleeves rolled up and is fighting like hell for the common man.

Unless you’ve got the billions to buy a newspaper and encourage real journalism rather than client journalism, you’re not going to change anything. The only hope we have is a generational shift and millennials and below making the electorate majority. At which point you’d hope we can finally oust them. When you look at people like @Pogue Mahone shifting to the right and falling for the whole campaign against ‘the evil enemy of today wokeness” hook line and sinker you realise it will never be that simple and the right will always find a way of persuading the electorate that there’s something they can unite over and fight against that’s far more important than trivial things like government corruption on an industrial scale and human rights abuses. It’s people that care about the right pronouns that are destroying the foundations and infrastructure of this country.
This will blow your mind, Pex, but it is actually possible to think that social media is seething with over-sensitive fannies (yes, I said fanny) and hold on to a life-long conviction that the Tories are evil scum.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This will blow your mind, Pex, but it is actually possible to think that social media is seething with over-sensitive fannies (yes, I said fanny) and hold on to a life-long conviction that the Tories are evil scum.
Of course it’s possible but you’ll also be the first to admit that you are shifting to the right as you get older which isn’t a new phenomenon by any stretch. You’ve probably always been politically active so have a level of tribalism which would make it unlikely you’ll vote for them any time soon but tell that to those in the north and in wales who were burning Thatcher effigies and rioting with police when the Tories were shutting down the mines. I‘d bet their disdain for the Tories is far deeper and more bitter than yours as it had a major impact on their work and life and that of their friends and family. Yet here we are and vast numbers of those people voted Tory to get Brexit done and the seal is broken now and I bet they will be persuaded again. I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar thing happens to yourself or those of your demographic.

Also, please don’t use a woman’s reproductive organs as a derogatory term, it’s sexist and unbecoming.

Smores

The entire point of Starmer was that he'd be more effective on the optics and dealing with the media. If he can't do that then what exactly is the point of him?

I don't think Jess Phillips was up to the task either but i think she'd probably be doing a better job as opposition at least.

I'm a bit worn out by politics right now and I'm as politically engaged as they come. I'm really not sure people will turn up for a muzzled Labour.

Smores

I think it's perhaps a bit harsh to label Pogue as shifting right. It's the left moving further left (as is natural) and it's difficult for most people to keep their ideals in track with that, I'm only mid 30s but even i realise that the lot below me are even more idealist.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Labour, Lib Dems and the Greens are going to have to put egos to one side and run on a joint ticket which promises PR. Otherwise, it’s Tory hegemony with the ever increasing corruption that always develops in one party states.
I think this is the only way now. Similar to how Brexit galvanised a whole bunch of disenchanted voters to get off their arses they need to do likewise.

Run a campaign on changing to PR with the hook being that your vote will actually mean something in the future and promise a snap election if they get in on that ticket.

Fingeredmouse

I think it's perhaps a bit harsh to label Pogue as shifting right. It's the left moving further left (as is natural) and it's difficult for most people to keep their ideals in track with that, I'm only mid 30s but even i realise that the lot below me are even more idealist.
I'm not seeing the left shifting further left. As the Overton Window continues it's unabated decades long drift to the right I have found my political stance, if not in my City but in the UK in general, be considered to be further and further left. My politics have not significantly altered in that time.

Fingeredmouse

I think this is the only way now. Similar to how Brexit galvanised a whole bunch of disenchanted voters to get off their arses they need to do likewise.

Run a campaign on changing to PR with the hook being that your vote will actually mean something in the future and promise a snap election if they get in on that ticket.
I don't think Labour would countenance that.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Lib Dem’s are just Tories who aren’t as disgusted by identity politics. They would much rather jump into bed with the Tories than with Labour.

Smores

I'm not seeing the left shifting further left. As the Overton Window continues it's unabated decades long drift to the right I have found my political stance, if not in my City but in the UK in general, be considered to be further and further left. My politics have not significantly altered in that time.
Politically it's shifting right but on social issues i think it's still moving left at least within the progressive left. 'Woke' issues are just topics that haven't yet become accepted within normal discourse.

Personally i find myself a little out of step on some of the womens/trans issues raised these days. I've not shifted right poltiically but the left have mainstreamed those issues and for the good.

I'd say most form their world view in their early 20s so whilst woke issues hit the new generation fresh everyone else is having to change. Engagements is better than accusations there.

Fluctuation0161

Think you have to direct that question to Starmer.

Labour should be filling up the airwaves with their outrage on the likes of this but we get one or two quotes in an article nobody reads.

We voted out the protest wing of the party and told protest groups like Momentum that they weren't welcome, this is what you get.
Absolutely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The self-righteous children on social media dismiss any observation of reality as bigotry. It's not bigotry. It's human nature. We develop customs and habits over generations, comfort and continuity are important. If you change things overnight, societies fracture, populations tend to explode. We've seen that happen. The industrial revolution produced an arms race! We got Hitler and Stalin, hundreds of millions died. Yes we did get antibiotics in the end, but we also got genocide. There's a lesson in that. If you're changing things, go slowly. Change should be incremental. Explain yourself and reassure people as you do it. Acknowledge the reality of evolutionary biology. Human beings are not born to be machine components, you can't improve them like on. Even open-minded ones get jumpy when everything's different. Wise leaders would know that intuitively. If you're going to have relentless technological change, and we are, you cannot inflict relentless social change. Things will fall apart. That's what our leaders are doing, they're changing everything. A new language, a new biology, new curricula, new social mores, and body types? A brand new national population.
That reminds me of a segment of The Tuesday Club podcast, where they have to guess who said certain quotes. My favourites so far have been “Gandhi or Guardiola” and “Hitler or Ferguson”

MoskvaRed

Of course not. They'd lose out just as much as the Tories if not more.
I think that certainly was the case but, with Scotland seemingly lost, I think Labour need reconsider what is actually achievable. Getting a majority in England does not seem achievable any time soon.

MoskvaRed

Lib Dem’s are just Tories who aren’t as disgusted by identity politics. They would much rather jump into bed with the Tories than with Labour.
It would just be a one night stand to get PR through - surely they would go for that?

Maticmaker

Pretty much!
Except Labour traditionally never wanted PR either. Are they going to accept it now?
The latest YouGov Times poll is showing the two major parties together accounting for 72% of the votes, there will never be any intention on either party's part to seek PR whilst this lasts. PR in the UK is a 'pipe dream'....minority parties are 'minorities' for a reason!!

Sweet Square

The government is facing growing anger after voting against putting serial stalkers and domestic abusers on a national register, despite briefing they were likely to support the measures following the death of Sarah Everard.Conservative MPs voted against amendments to the domestic abuse bill on Thursday that would have placed serial domestic abusers and stalkers on the current Violent and Sex Offender Register (Visor).

MPs also voted down House of Lords-supported amendments that would have given family court judges training on sexual abuse and provided greater protection to migrant victims of domestic violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...te-against-register-stalkers-domestic-abusers

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The latest YouGov Times poll is showing the two major parties together accounting for 72% of the votes, there will never be any intention on either party's part to seek PR whilst this lasts. PR in the UK is a 'pipe dream'....minority parties are 'minorities' for a reason!!
Completely agree with you.
If Labour really want to become the next government, they are going to have to do it on their own merits.
Come up with policies which will capture the imagination of the electorate.

But you also have to have a leader with charisma. And that is a massive problem for Starmer. Complete lack of charisma.