Westminster Politics

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
firstly, I’m coming from a layman’s perspective - because I don’t have to spend time and effort researching voting systems. I know you will use that as a criticism against me - but i very much believe you can and should have a discussion without the need to be 100% read into the scenario.

These are musings rather than pro’s and con’s - as I’ve tried to be clear, I’m not wedded to any system.

one of my key issues is having different voting systems, it’s confusing to the electorate and obviously if FPTP or SV or any other system was preferred then why do we have a mixture?

how valid are second choice votes? Are they more likely to go to candidates that just have name recognition, or for a ‘joke’ vote? Aside from the candidate you vote for, and usually the direct rival - does the voter actually know anything about their second choice?

granted, I’m sure many voters don’t know anything about the first choice candidate they are voting for - but I’m sure you see my point.
Once the electorate start to actually engage with it, its a much better way of getting a result that matches what people actually want and avoids parties winning simply because of split votes.

Your point about confusing the voters is likely to be a fair one initially, but mostly just because people are so used to FPTP. It might take a little time for people to get to know the new system, but its worth the temporary cost for the long term benefit. It also allows the smaller parties a true chance to grow.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Cheerleading again without absolutely zero critical analysis. The replies to her ask the questions she should have and highlight the inconsistencies of the review.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Marina Hyde is a treasure. Absolutely love every single one of her pieces, she’s a fantastic wordsmith.
She's gets extra points for having a picture of Elaine from Seinfeld on her Twitter profile.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
looks like the Tories can do whatever the want while Labour are a burning wreck of a party.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

No wonder the Tories hardly get any blowback for their corruption

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I've only looked at the graph but the message there is that Labour needs to learn how to appeal to homeowners for votes or they've no chance.
indeed it looks like something around 80-85% of consituuiencies have more than 50% ownership rates ... and they already win virtually all the constituiencies below 50% so yeah logically policies to better apeal to existing householders is pretty much a must

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What’s crazy is that in many states here, the person driving the car could claim he was fearful & was just trying to leave & he wouldn’t be charged with anything.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s crazy is that in many states here, the person driving the car could claim he was fearful & was just trying to leave & he wouldn’t be charged with anything.
Do you mean Fearless?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Brutal reading, makes me feel sick to my stomach that I live in a country that treats people that way. Yet any time you try to raise issues like this its a wall of "be kind to boris, he's doing his best" or "well what abut Jeremy Corbyn"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’ll do my part to ensure a stellar turnout for the remaining America’s Comeback Tour events.

Most interesting is how high the 59% figure is for people not knowing what the term means, given the right wing press drone on about it so much.
is it a term many would use in real life? Seems like a Twitter term and one that’s popular, but only in certain Echo chambers. I’m not at all surprised by how high that % is.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
is it a term many would use in real life? Seems like a Twitter term and one that’s popular, but only in certain Echo chambers. I’m not at all surprised by how high that % is.
That's a fair point, not sure I can remember hearing anyone using it in convo in real life. Only occasionally when discussing some newspaper article etc...My wife, who reads very little UK media, didn't know the term.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Most interesting is how high the 59% figure is for people not knowing what the term means, given the right wing press drone on about it so much.
I guess a made-up word means different things to different people. I've only come across it on the caf really, and when I do I just skip over the rest of the post then; if anyone wants my attention they'll have to put their points in English I'm afraid.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who actually describes themselves as 'woke' non-ironically?

I'd probably be described as woke by someone trying to insult me based on my political and social beliefs but would absolutely cringe to give myself that title.

F-Red

Twitter tends to over inflate opinions somewhat, to the point where people think they're significant. This is a good example.